View Full Version : AI R3 : Venus Williams def. Meilen Tu 6-2 7-5

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:56 PM
ANOTHER sloppy serving match :lol: :awww:

But she got through and that's all that matters! :yeah:

NyCPsU
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:59 PM
good job venus :)

but meilen :sad: 2nd set should have been yours...3 bps for *6-5 and then 2 gps for 6-6 but she blew them all :( good tournament from you anyway :hug:

sundoulos
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:59 PM
As expected. Tu never a real threat as usual.

Viktymise
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM
:woohoo: win the whole thing Vee please ;)

tennisIlove09
Wow, close second.
Meilen was up an early break, but Venus got it back at 4-4 ... and then Meilen had a few bps to go up 6-5.
Nice fight Vee.

She has to find her serve consistentcy.

The Daviator
Good job Vee :yeah:

Infiniti2001
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7977/image1sw1.jpg

Vacant
What was that 2nd set? :o

Oh well, a win's a win.

mike1
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
V Always play bad agains low rank players. she still going to pick her game when it matters.

I love that girl

gooo VEEEEEEEEEE

John.
Congrats Vee :woohoo:

Fabunny
as much as i hate to admit it, golovin will devour venus if she plays like that in the next round. venus started out serving beautifully - 100% on second serve points won and very high first serves. don't know what the hell happened, but it wasn't pretty

Knizzle
Get it together Venus. :lol: :rolleyes:

Whatever u did to end the match at 5-5 you could have done long before. Good luck vs. Golovin tomorrow, but :unsure: Tati is playing well.

Couver
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Good job Venus, one match at a time as usual. I'm glad she's getting in the match play. Hopefully the consistency will come when she needs it. Each match helps I think.

Good job to Tu for putting up a good fight, especially in the 2nd set.

It should be a good match between Vee and Golovin.

Tennisaddict
Congrats Venus, fix that serve though it could make the difference in a match against a tougher opponent!

Good luck in the semis.

Paneru
Lady V got the job done. :cool:

Harju.
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Meilen :hug:
Great fight in the second set. Wasted so many chance to take the second.

Good job Vee :yeah:

tonythetiger
I hope these matches are giving Venus the confidence and match play she needs, because the double faults and service breaks are killing me. It seems like every part of her game fell apart in that second set. Golovin will be tougher to be than Patty and Melien. I pray Venus does something about her serve before tomorrow. She does not need to lose to Golovin twice in a row.

Go Venus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demska
That second set should have been Melien. Bad luck. :hug:

Congrats Vee. You got Tati next, and she's in great form. Watch out for her. You defeat may be imminant.

Mrs. Peel
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:05 PM
It took Venus long enough! :tape:

Fabunny
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
when venus lost to golovin on venus & serena for real - (i thiink it was at charleston) she actually cried. venus better hit the practice courts and work out those kinks because I will the one be crying if, god forbid, she does not prevail

UDACHi
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
i was hoping she'd keep up the good play. it was 4-0 so fast. :lol:

please don't be sloppy again vs. tati.

tonythetiger
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
as much as i hate to admit it, golovin will devour venus if she plays like that in the next round. venus started out serving beautifully - 100% on second serve points won and very high first serves. don't know what the hell happened, but it wasn't pretty

Venus likes to take cat naps during some points. She usually wakes up before it's too late. I'm getting sick of screaming at her and coaching from my computer screen when I can't see a freakin' thing.:lol:

Denise4925
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I'm sitting and sitting in the scoring thread waiting all this time to hear what was happening. Last scores posted was Venus had MP #2. What happened to someone posting the final score in the scoring thread :( Everybody in that big of a hurry to open the first thread?? :lol:

Anyway, what a struggle in the second set. Vee, please get those DF's under control. I wish I could see what you're doing out there to know what's going on. Hopefully you will have shaken most of this rust when you play Tati tomorrow and at least we get to see it.

So, good luck in the quarters tomorrow. :yeah:

GracefulVenus
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Venus Williams :yeah:
Love,
GracefulVenus :hearts:

trufanjay
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Venus will have to play better if she wants to beat Golovin.

LindsayRulz
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Congrats Venus :yeah:

veesbest
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
horrible display from venus lack of consertration again richard will have her inshape for tomorrow hopefully

cartmancop
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
She made it through :) That's the most important thing to me. Hopefully she'll pick up her game 2morrow :D

Couver
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Is tommorow's match a quarter? I thought this was just the 3rd round. Isn't her match with Golovin a round of 16 match.

-VSR-
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Venus... I don't know. You seem to play a good set then follow it up with a sloppy one. :sad:

darrinbaker00
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Is tommorow's match a quarter? I thought this was just the 3rd round. Isn't her match with Golovin a round of 16 match.
It is a quarterfinal match tomorrow, my friend. ;)

slydevil6142
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Venus will be fine .... IM more worried for golovin venus has a way of getting people back who are on her hit list.........

winone23
congrats Venus! You need to pick it up from here on out!

LDF
Venus :clap2:

But please improve your serving :awww:

Good effort, Meilen :hug:

ico4498
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM
V!

Njay16
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Venus managed to pull it out in the end that is what matters. Golovin has played well LATELY, but overall her year has not been that great. So it's a matter of who will be more consistent.

moon
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Venus managed to pull it out in the end that is what matters. Golovin has played well LATELY, but overall her year has not been that great. So it's a matter of who will be more consistent.

I agree with this. Tati in Miami was far from great.
If Venus can be more consistent, the match is hers.
Should be interesting!

Denise4925
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I don't know. I thought Venus was in better form going into Charleston in 2005 and Golovin beat her there. Obviously Vee is still trying to pull her game together and she's really streaky so I don't know :shrug:

mdterp01
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Its harder to beat Venus the further she goes in a tournament. Just like she did against Shahar Peer in Memphis, I believe she can step up to the plate so long as she has some consistency with her serve. A double fault here and there doesn't mean its the match but she's got to keep it to 5 or below. She also needs to hit as few second serves as possible. Venus has great movement though so she's got a good shot of winning this in str8s. One thing is for sure though...just like Serena...when she goes on court its all about her game. If the serve is off its going to affect the rest of her game. Venus is a better player than Golovin regardless of what the rankings say. So this is Venus' match to win or lose. GO VEE!!!!:worship:

vw.
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:48 PM
At least she got through. Pick it up against Tati tomorrow.

supergrunt
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Venus :woohoo: !

BigBabeTENNIS
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM
better serving tomra venus fight hard

tennisbum79
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Venus really needs to do something about her serve, because it drives
every other part of her game.

It is hard to imagine now, that just few week ago, this was the same Venus who smothered Peer in an outstanding display of all court game.
Doing so with confidence and authority

TaxPower
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
congrats Venus. Williams sisters are back!

Paneru
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Venus really needs to do something about her serve, because it drives
every other part of her game.

It is hard to imagine now, that just few week ago, this was the same Venus who smothered Peer in an outstanding display of all court game.
Doing so with confidence and authority

If you'll remember, she had to build to that form
against Peer as she is doing here, up and down
but, the bottomline is getting the job done.

People really need to chill out. :cool:

BTW, congrats on returning
to the top 30 Lady V! :kiss:

winone23
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM

:bounce: :bounce: Didn't realize Venus was back in the top 30!! Next stop top 20!

VishaalMaria
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:34 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Didn't realize Venus was back in the top 30!! Next stop top 20!

I hate that! Venus is better than thirty in the world. GO VENUS!!!!

tennisbum79
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:36 PM

My point is, she won't always have the opportunity to build her form on the
way to the final. Miami was a good case.

IMPOSSIBLE
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Go Venus

Kunal
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM

i dont agree with that....she needs to win convincingly and she has not done that in some time now against a decent player

cometz9
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Good Job Venus, tougher than expected but Meilen gets a lot of balls back especially on clay. Next up is Tati, please get your revenge for 05 Charleston :devil:

vettipooh
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM
If Venus wants it bad enough, and I believe she does, then she'll find a way to get past Tati. Let's go Vee!! You can do this!!! :banana:

BlkCampbell
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Good job Venus.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
As many commentators say, if you try to beat a Williams sister, do it early in the tournament. Sharapova did it at Miami (and I think Venus would've eventually played better as the tournament went on). If Vee gets her teeth into a tourney, she usually has good results. I just pray she plays well and stays healthy. I miss seeing Vee on TV.

BigBabeTENNIS
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
any pics yet

Mark Spruce
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070405/capt.66e93dce8d374e8f90caccbf1e557663.amelia_islan d_tennis_flpc209.jpg

Mark Spruce
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:18 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070405/capt.f1210a030bf64bd69294ab1cd87c662a.amelia_islan d_tennis_flpc210.jpg

Wtrain
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Good job Vee!

Sorry Meilen :hug:

Mark Spruce
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070405/capt.a1e336362fbd4f66a751236f094364a7.amelia_islan d_tennis_flpc211.jpg

akosijepoy
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:21 PM
congrats vee
i hope espn shows her match 2m

Williams-forever
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Great job Vee. Room for improvement until tomorrow:)

K-Dog
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:25 PM
She has three tough tests up next. Tatiana is going to be tough on clay. Venus is going to need to be confident and hit many of her shots to the backhand in order to win. Her forehand up-the-line and cross-court backhand approach are two shots that Venus needs to employ. Attack the backhand and get into the net. Hopefully she serves better in this match. Tatiana's second serve is attackable, so Venus needs to be aware of that and take advantage of it. If Venus gets in forehand exchanges with Tatiana, it is game over. Golovin has a terrific forehand that she is comfortable changing the direction of the ball with and unleashing some big winners on that side. Venus needs to use her head in this encounter and play controlled in order to get the win.

The winner of Ivanovic/Jankovic will be even tougher imo. If it's Ana, Venus will need to hope her serve is working and that she's moving at her peak. On clay, Ana has more time to set up for that forehand and blast it into the corners. Venus won their last encounter quite comfortably, but that was on a quick indoor surface that suits her game better. If Venus has to play Jelena, she better hope that Jelena is having an off day because her consistency is terrific and that backhand up-the-line is a great shot and always seems to be working for her. In both matches, Venus will need to be confident and play with controlled aggression to come out on top (unless Ana has an off day, where all Venus will need to do is get the ball over the net and somewhere inside the lines :lol:).

If she gets to the finals, it will either be Safina or Petrova imo. These two play pretty similarly with the same weapons and tendencies, except that Nadia is a much better net player than Dinara. If Venus is in the finals, I imagine that her confidence will be much better and she'll be lookin to take control of the court. She'll need to get both girls on the move and keep them there. Attack the forehands and get a high percentage of first serves in because they'll be lookin to either attack the second serve or get the return neutral and then begin a baseline exchange. On clay, it is a dangerous proposition to get into rallies with Petrova or Safina. Both hit deep, heavy shots that are both consistent and pentrating at the same time. As Venus said after her match against Patty, her game isn't behind the baseline. She needs to keep that mind set and play aggresively, taking her game forward and into the net.

Keys for the rest of the tournament for Venus:

Better First Serve %
More Consistency on 2nd Serve
Get into the net
Footwork
Controlled aggression
Positive and confident attitude on court

That should do it for her to get this title and start off the clay season in a good way.

RJWCapriati
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Probably going to be like Memphis - saving her best for last.

junlee_vee
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM
As many commentators say, if you try to beat a Williams sister, do it early in the tournament. Sharapova did it at Miami (and I think Venus would've eventually played better as the tournament went on). If Vee gets her teeth into a tourney, she usually has good results. I just pray she plays well and stays healthy. I miss seeing Vee on TV.

You and me both!!!:)

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM
A nice win for V- Star aswell as a nice fight from TU :kiss: :bounce:

Paneru
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:28 AM
My point is, she won't always have the opportunity to build her form on the
way to the final. Miami was a good case.

Oh well.

Venus rarely is on form in early rounds
and that was also true during her heyday.

Again,bottomline is about getting the job
done. If she gets through, great. If not,
as you cited in Miami, tough luck. She'll
just get up, dust off, and keep going.
Just like after Miami. ;)

BigBabeTENNIS
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:32 AM
well said paneru

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:00 AM
get the job done....let's go Venus!!!! :) :)

Chance
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Good to see V in the next round!

Up to 29 in the rankings!

austennis
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I think she will rise against Tati.. and i think that Venus like Serena is begining to regain her aura a little of the old days..

trufanjay
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Venus is playing a lot of tennis before the French so she has to get it right at some point. Golovin will be a test. Venus should know what to do. She just really has to be patient. I haven't seen her yet, and hopefully I'll see something good tomorrow.

It just gets harder from here. Jankovic/Ivanovic and then Petrova.

Denise4925
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:26 AM
She has three tough tests up next. Tatiana is going to be tough on clay. Venus is going to need to be confident and hit many of her shots to the backhand in order to win. Her forehand up-the-line and cross-court backhand approach are two shots that Venus needs to employ. Attack the backhand and get into the net. Hopefully she serves better in this match. Tatiana's second serve is attackable, so Venus needs to be aware of that and take advantage of it. If Venus gets in forehand exchanges with Tatiana, it is game over. Golovin has a terrific forehand that she is comfortable changing the direction of the ball with and unleashing some big winners on that side. Venus needs to use her head in this encounter and play controlled in order to get the win.

The winner of Ivanovic/Jankovic will be even tougher imo. If it's Ana, Venus will need to hope her serve is working and that she's moving at her peak. On clay, Ana has more time to set up for that forehand and blast it into the corners. Venus won their last encounter quite comfortably, but that was on a quick indoor surface that suits her game better. If Venus has to play Jelena, she better hope that Jelena is having an off day because her consistency is terrific and that backhand up-the-line is a great shot and always seems to be working for her. In both matches, Venus will need to be confident and play with controlled aggression to come out on top (unless Ana has an off day, where all Venus will need to do is get the ball over the net and somewhere inside the lines :lol:).

If she gets to the finals, it will either be Safina or Petrova imo. These two play pretty similarly with the same weapons and tendencies, except that Nadia is a much better net player than Dinara. If Venus is in the finals, I imagine that her confidence will be much better and she'll be lookin to take control of the court. She'll need to get both girls on the move and keep them there. Attack the forehands and get a high percentage of first serves in because they'll be lookin to either attack the second serve or get the return neutral and then begin a baseline exchange. On clay, it is a dangerous proposition to get into rallies with Petrova or Safina. Both hit deep, heavy shots that are both consistent and pentrating at the same time. As Venus said after her match against Patty, her game isn't behind the baseline. She needs to keep that mind set and play aggresively, taking her game forward and into the net.

Keys for the rest of the tournament for Venus:

Better First Serve %
More Consistency on 2nd Serve
Get into the net
Footwork
Controlled aggression
Positive and confident attitude on court

That should do it for her to get this title and start off the clay season in a good way.

:worship: :worship: :worship: And, one more thing. She needs to be patient and construct her points.

tonythetiger
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I worried more about this match than either of the next two. Golovin is comfortable on clay and she is confident because she knows how to beat Venus. Jelena is pretty new to clay and I think Venus will have more confidence against her. I just want Venus to win this thing!

You said you were ready so play your best tennis Venus!!

tonythetiger
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:37 AM

Vronsky you are the coolest Venus fan I know. I don't know how you do it.:lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:38 AM
As long as she keeps her ground game solid, and looks to take advantage early in points, she should be fine.

I was a little dissapointed when she didn't get the break @ 5-4 in the second. She usually goes out there and tries to make life as easy as possible on herself, but she did manage to get the break before having to go to a breaker, which is good.

I agree with whomever said, it seemed like Vee was in better form heading into Charleston 2005 than Amelia 2007, but Venus is a player that plays better when she's been playing for a while. Because her game is so fast and hard, long breaks can do more harm than good, and I think that since she's played a couple weeks in a row, she's understanding more what she needs to do which is a GREAT thing for her.

Tati's got a SUPER solid game on the ground, but her BH and serve are without question the two parts in her game that Venus needs to take advantage of, and if she can do that, while serving at least 3 or so aces with no more than 5 doubles, she should be in for a comfortable win.....BUT seeing as Venus is NOT really making life easy on herself, I think it'll be a tough 2 setter or a 3 setter with at least one easy on for Vee!

As long as she gets the title, I don't care HOW she get it :yeah:

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Way to go venus! :hearts: :woohoo:

Now get some revenge over mademoiselle tati :banana:

.Andrew.
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Well done, Venus. :yeah: :banana:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Venus.....1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN...

Got it? Thanks

:wavey:

patricktav2003
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:17 AM
maybe golovin can have the big win but when vee is challenging she is difficult to beat! cause against TU she have to create power and against Tati the opposite

darrinbaker00
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Venus.....1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN, 1st serve IN...

Got it? Thanks

:wavey:
Even if she didn't already know that, I'm sure Richard mentioned it to her once or twice.

Kenny
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:32 AM
wtf melien tu aced venus williams?

that's some funny shit man.

get it together venus.

~Eclipsed~
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Ehh i was close in predicting the score. I said 6-1, 7-6...

Good Job Venus!:D

Sexysova
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:17 AM
well done Venus :):worship:

SoClose
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Congrats Venus!
Good luck agains Golovin!

Tankman
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Venus :hearts:

Highlandman
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Venus :hearts: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :aparty: - great gift for my birthday:bounce:

Now do 1-1 vs Golovin :devil: :p

tobi
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Congrats Venus

Meilen :(

Should have won that 2nd set

Sylwiiia
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I am glad that Venus won :D but I have no idea what;s going on since Memphis she is playing awful :(

vesanto
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I am glad that Venus won :D but I have no idea what;s going on since Memphis she is playing awful :(

I don't know why people keep insisting that in Memphis she played great. All her matches were not that great except the finals where she raised her level and played well. Probably if Venus reaches the final, she will also play better but I am sick of hearing people mentioning the Memphis form. It was not that good, you know?

Shimizu Amon
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Congrats Vee!! :yeah: Go fetch that title!!

Munchen
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Venus :D :cool: