PDA

View Full Version : Monica might not be done just yet....!

tennisfan5
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
April 4, 2007, 11:20PM
Navratilova, Seles play tonight

By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Martina Navratilova and Monica Seles, two tennis legends with much Houston history between them, will square off not before 7:30 tonight in the biggest women's match at River Oaks since just after the dawn of the sport's Open Era.

Neither has ever played at the club, which has held a men's tournament since 1931 but last hosted a women's event in 1969, when the great Australian Margaret Court won the title. However, Seles and Navratilova combined to claim nine WTA tournament championships between them at other local venues between 1976 and 1992.

Navratilova, 50, retired for a second time last fall after winning the U.S. Open mixed doubles with Bob Bryan. Seles, 33, hasn't participated in a sanctioned event since Roland Garros in 2003 because of chronic foot problems. She plans to use the exhibition as a step toward making a decision as to whether she'll attempt to play again.

Navratilova won six of the 10 Houston women's tour events she entered, including four in a row from 1976 through 1979. Seles' first of 53 professional titles was claimed at Westside at Chris Evert's expense in 1989.

---
Please play well monica!!!

GoDominique
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM
She plans to use the exhibition as a step toward making a decision as to whether she'll attempt to play again.
:lol:

In other words, she's retired.

PatrickRyan
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I really hope she does play again!

John.
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
It would be great if she came back, but she's been away too long now to be a serious threat, and I don't think anyone wants to see her come back and lose to nobodys

Wojtek
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Like Kournikova Seles won't say that she retires. Why? It's easy she has contract with Yonex ( Kournikova - Adidas etc.). Easy money and you're doing nothing

The Daviator
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
"She plans to use the exhibition as a step toward making a decision as to whether she'll attempt to play again."

OMG :lol: Monica very close to a comeback then :lol:

iPatty
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
LMAO.

Monica fans...she's not coming back. Get it into your heads.

Kthnxbye.

Love-seles
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Well her foot must be better. but why now after all these years? new treatment? wouldn't it be wonderful if her foot is ok again. its the only thing that has kept her from coming back.

Love-seles
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:19 PM
With Monica anything is possible Patty fan

piercerocks
i hope she does- but i know she wont. i hope she gets inspired during the match

WhatTheDeuce
Every exo she plays, the same shit starts.

She's not coming back.

tennisfan5
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:32 PM
:lol:

In other words, she's retired.

Look, is it unlikely that she'll play again--yes. However, Monica takes her tennis seriously and isn't an endorsement queen like kournikova, so I doubt she would make a comment like that for sponsorship purposes. In addition, the choice of language is the writer's, not Monica's. Also, Monica hasn't played any kind of singles exo as-far as I recall- in a couple of years-since she played the last exo w/ Navratilova and (when she was certainly trying to make a comeback). It's not as if she's doing this on a regular basis. Yes, she's 33, but If her foot holds up, she's appears to be in the best shape since 1993, so who's to say she couldn't play another year on a limited schedule.

GoDominique
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Look, is it unlikely that she'll play again--yes. However, Monica takes her tennis seriously and isn't an endorsement queen like kournikova, so I doubt she would make a comment like that for sponsorship purposes. In addition, the choice of language is the writer's, not Monica's. Also, Monica hasn't played any kind of singles exo as-far as I recall- in a couple of years-since she played the last exo w/ Navratilova and (when she was certainly trying to make a comeback). It's not as if she's doing this on a regular basis. Yes, she's 33, but If her foot holds up, she's appears to be in the best shape since 1993, so who's to say she couldn't play another year on a limited schedule.
How do you know that Monica made that comment at all?
It pretty much looks as if the author just copied and pasted it from a previous exo.

tennisfan5
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:42 PM
you're right, I don't know for sure, but it wasn't mentioned in previous articles about the exo by the same writer--I assume he would at least be consistent in his cutting and pasting. Plus, I assume he wrote it himself--nobody would copy that mangled sentence from someone else:tape: :lol:

le bon vivant
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Why would anyone hope that she would come back? I'm sure it would not be good for her foot, and she would be struggling to nobodies. Shes far too much of a player to go out like that.

sundoulos
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:19 PM
:rolleyes: Okay. I'm 33 years old and I will play a 50 year old, and the outcome will determine whether a comeback is in the works. Granted the 50 year old is Martina Navratilova but please. :rolleyes:

TaxPower
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I think it would be a mistake to come back. She should announce she retires and we would keep a good memory

Orion
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
LORD, for all the talk that Clijsters is drawing out her retirement, Seles is just as bad, and that's without reporters asking her every two seconds. She's been playing exhibitions "to determine" the "chance" to "attempt to play" professionally since 2004.

faboozadoo15
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Who knows? What we do know is that if Monica's foot had been okay, she would have surely been back as soon as possible. She loves tennis that much. The fact that she hasn't been able to is probably very hard for her to deal with. Realistically, tennis is her past life by now, but I'll never say never.

The best shot we've got is if Seles decides to have a farewell tour of sorts. But that really isn't her style. To her it would be one last push. Is she up for it is the question. So far, no.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
She plans to use the exhibition as a step toward making a decision as to whether she'll attempt to play again.[/B][/B]

Martina Navratilova is the greatest, and my idea of super woman fo sho.

But if Seles is seriously taking a step toward a decision to attempting to "play again," I think she needs to play against players currently competitive on the tour, not a 50 year old woman!

p.s. I expect Monica to destroy Martina (considering the age difference and wear and tear on Martina's frame). If Monica can't handle her easily, she's definitely retired.

tennisfan5
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Martina Navratilova is the greatest, and my idea of super woman fo sho.

But if Seles is seriously taking a step toward a decision to attempting to "play again," I think she needs to play against players currently competitive on the tour, not a 50 year old woman!

I think it's more Monica trying to see how she handles an umpired singles match from start to finish. She's not stupid--if her level isn't what it was b/c of injury and so long away from the game, she's rather test it out in an exo with Martina than with a top player. Besides, Martina is as good now as what, a top 100 singles player?

tennisfan5
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:52 PM
If Monica can't handle her easily, she's definitely retired.

I agree.

the last time monica attempted this in 2005, she actually lost 6-4, 6-4, so she clearly was not ready then. She doesn't want to embarass herself again.

tennisbum79
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
For the last 3 years, there have been these rumors of Monica imminent
return. And nothing happens.

At 33, isnt she too old to return?
After all, she was not in the the best shape when she was playing.

selesbooz
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
;10453253']LMAO.

Kthnxbye.

If she came she couldn't play any worst then Sprem is playing now:lol: :help:

GoDominique
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:36 PM
If she came she couldn't play any worst then Sprem is playing now:lol: :help:
Your point being?

Philip
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:40 PM
has the exhibition been played? who won? :confused:

rockstar
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:08 AM
she's not :rolleyes:

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Christ am i the only one here who saw Monica's interview on the espn news channel after Nole won his title? Monica was watching the match in a CBS news truck and gave a interview for the espn crew. the espn news channel showed it. Monica did indeed say she would still consider coming back to the tour. she said she's using the exo to test out her foot and see how she plays and feels after the match. pretty shocking to hear words like this from Monica after being out for 4 years. but she's not someone who cries uncle easily. she lost to Navratilova in straight sets last time she played her.

minimo
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:18 AM
any results yet?

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks love-seles!! I didn't know about that interview. Glad to hear the confirmation! Gotta keep our fingers crossed--don't think that damn foot will ever heal though.

tonybotz
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:32 AM
I knew this was a test ... listen guys, Monica has always idolized Navrat, who played until her late 30s in singles and 50 in doubles. Seles loves tennis. She loves to compete. She loves the fame, the travel, the tour. This is a woman who came back after a deranged man tried to end her life on a tennis court. Do you think something as trivial as age is going to stop her? 40 is the new 30. If an overweight Serena Williams can win the AO, and Martina Hingis can be number 6 in the world, then a fit Monica Seles can be a top ten player. Let's not forget how good her results were after a 2.5 year lay off. While they may not be as specatular today as winning the Canadian/US Open final runner up/Winner AO, she would still do damage, if healthy.

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I knew this was a test ... listen guys, Monica has always idolized Navrat, who played until her late 30s in singles and 50 in doubles. Seles loves tennis. She loves to compete. She loves the fame, the travel, the tour. This is a woman who came back after a deranged man tried to end her life on a tennis court. Do you think something as trivial as age is going to stop her? 40 is the new 30. If an overweight Serena Williams can win the AO, and Martina Hingis can be number 6 in the world, then a fit Monica Seles can be a top ten player. Let's not forget how good her results were after a 2.5 year lay off. While they may not be as specatular today as winning the Canadian/US Open final runner up/Winner AO, she would still do damage, if healthy.

I love Monica to death, and I really feel that she can comeback and be top 20...she's been at Bolleteri's hitting with Nicole(before she went to Indian Wells) for about 7 weeks...we all know Monica trains hard, so i think she should give it a go....but please don't include Serena being overweight in this because she looked fit at the AO...and Monica will always be the 1st to tell you that she's not hald the athlete that Serena is..she will tell you that herself..she's very charming and nice, and honest.

sundoulos
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I think it's more Monica trying to see how she handles an umpired singles match from start to finish. She's not stupid--if her level isn't what it was b/c of injury and so long away from the game, she's rather test it out in an exo with Martina than with a top player. Besides, Martina is as good now as what, a top 100 singles player?

That's pretty sad for the state of women's tennis. :sad:

serenafann
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Monica is one of my all time favorite players and if she feels fit enough,and feels she can still compete at the highest levels, I would love to see her back.

ewbangkok
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:37 AM
would love to have monica back

RVD
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:47 AM
It would be incredible if Monica could stage a comeback.
She was the main reason I started watching tennis in the first place. :angel:
And also the reason why I stopped for so many years as well [...stabbing]. :sad:

Realtennis
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:55 AM
It would be incredible if Monica could stage a comeback.
She was the main reason I started watching tennis in the first place. :angel:
And also the reason why I stopped for so many years as well [...stabbing]. :sad:
Does anyone know the score?!?!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Heck, maybe Jennifer Capriati will join her!

The scariest matchup to me would be Monica verses Shrieky! Killer sound!

;)!!!

RVD
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:11 AM

;)!!!:lol: The tournaments would hand out complimentary ear plugs like the IMAX theaters hand out 3D glasses. :angel:

cellophane
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:15 AM

;)!!!

I can't see anything topping Venus-Maria 2005 Wimbledon.

lecciones
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I think monica will still win some titles here and there if she decides to return. It would be great to watch her play again.

ico4498
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:28 AM
She plans to use the exhibition as a step toward making a decision as to whether she'll attempt to play again.

plans
step toward
making a decision
whether
she'll attempt

anyone, besides GoDom, catch the subliminal message?

chances of a Monica return are very slim to none. they missed a qualifer or two, by my count;

probably
might
possibly
could
if

but those are probably too obvious for sublime pro pr folks. i'm quite unsure how an exhibition against Nav, Martina's prasies should always be sung in high key, would tell Monica anything ... but that's fodder for another day.

cherseles
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:49 AM
;10453253']LMAO.

Kthnxbye.

With Monica, Patty will never ever get a chance to win! Patty fans.
Ha ha!!!

Brashkoala
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM
who won?

Dawn Marie
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Monica is not coming back. She won't retire officially because of her contracts. She may not have as many as Anna but she got some. She's a business women and will not officially retire and she isn't coming back. I personally feel that she's to slow and limited now. The 2 hands off of both sides will be destroyed by the younger power. Even older power.

tennisfan5
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:02 AM
won't know for a while I think

Talula
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:38 AM
With Monica anything is possible Patty fan

Yes! Unpredictable to the very end! I really wouldn't be too shcoked if Monica does come back. It would be a poke in the eye to all the naysayers and Monica bashers of late.

DimaDinosaur
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM
let Monica decide. there's no shame in losing; there's only shame in not trying. I know that sounds cliche, but it's her life and if she wants to have one more go at it, she should. i think she would rather try and fail rather than regretting having not tried at all

besides, i dunno what the big fuss is since most of you convinced yourself she ain't coming back anyway :sad:

Drake1980
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Come back Monica!!

Brett.
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Monica Seles is playing against 50-years-old Martina Natratilova, and as this article is saying she might be thinking if she could a make comeback. I guess she is willing and capable to play for Senior Ladies Tour! :lol:

Please come back on Wta tour please! :wavey: :bounce:

Talula
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Why would anyone hope that she would come back? I'm sure it would not be good for her foot, and she would be struggling to nobodies. Shes far too much of a player to go out like that.

If she doesn't come back she will have 'retired' with her last match having been a loss to Nadia Petrova in the 1st round of Roland Garros. I mighht be being selfish as a mega Monica fan, but I would rather remember her as having given it one last shot, plus it would give her fans a chance just to see her in person play. I hate the thought of her sinking into oblivion.:sad:

Talula
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:47 AM
let Monica decide. there's no shame in losing; there's only shame in not trying. I know that sounds cliche, but it's her life and if she wants to have one more go at it, she should. i think she would rather try and fail rather than regretting having not tried at all

besides, i dunno what the big fuss is since most of you convinced yourself she ain't coming back anyway :sad:

Spot on! I agree totally!

akinom
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:50 AM
nobody knows about the score please?????

I am closed to have a heart attack right now!!!!:lol: :eek:

Love-seles
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Monica would be the fittest she's been in years if she could play again. i like how some people here like the Patty s fans keep saying no way will Monica come back. or i hope she doesn't come back. of course you guys wouldn't want that. Monica whipped players like Patty when she was playing.

sundoulos
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:46 AM
nobody knows about the score please?????

I am closed to have a heart attack right now!!!!:lol: :eek:

I think there's no score posted because they both are trying to avoid heart attacks, so they're resting after every game instead of only on the change over. Seriously, it's only an exhibition. The score means nothing. If Monica is serious, about coming back then start playing in tournaments against current players and see what happens. Start with Tier IV tournaments if you don't want to embarass yourself. Gosh.:rolleyes:

brent-o
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Same reason many people wanted to see Andre Agassi play that last US Open. It wasn't about the winning. In his matches, even if he showed flashes of brilliance of the old Agassi, it was enough for me. And I think people just want to see Monica playing again. She understands she won't play a full schedule cause of her foot. But she clearly wants to be out there again. And I don't see why she couldn't win a few rounds in a Slam against the lower ranked players.

Wolverines08
Apr 6th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Same reason many people wanted to see Andre Agassi play that last US Open. It wasn't about the winning. In his matches, even if he showed flashes of brilliance of the old Agassi, it was enough for me. And I think people just want to see Monica playing again. She understands she won't play a full schedule cause of her foot. But she clearly wants to be out there again. And I don't see why she couldn't win a few rounds in a Slam against the lower ranked players.

I agree...and Monica mixed precision-power with acute angles better than ANYONE ever will...I honestly think she could sneak a 4th-Round or Quarter at the French Open...Maybe that's why she played the River Oaks Exhibition because it's on CLAY...When she sees Myskin/Kuznetsova winning slams then I know she gains confidence.

andrewbroad
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Monica's not going to come back and lose to nonentities. She's going to come back and dominate.

If there's been one recurring theme in women's tennis in the last 12 years, it's that class is permanent, and great champions can still come back and be a threat to everybody.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/)

GoDominique
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Monica's not going to come back and lose to nonentities. She's going to come back and dominate.
:lol::lol::lol:

rfs1999
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Go Monica!