PDA

View Full Version : does anyone still take patty schnyder seriously?

iPatty
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:05 PM
just curious.

tennisIlove09
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Honestly, I never did. She did well to get back into the top 10, but I never thought she was a huge threat to win any big tournament she entered. The odd time here I thought she could/would upset a top player, but I never considered her a threat to beat 3 - 4 good players in a row to win a title like Miami or a Slam.

John.
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:10 PM
No. Her form the past few months has been so poor and her attitude has been even worse. Such a shame as she promised so much back in 98.

LDF
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Honestly, I never did. She did well to get back into the top 10, but I never thought she was a huge threat to win any big tournament she entered. The odd time here I thought she could/would upset a top player, but I never considered her a threat to beat 3 - 4 good players in a row to win a title like Miami or a Slam.

My sentiments exactly :)

piercerocks
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM

i agree!

BoucharDRules
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Her game gives Elena lots of trouble it seems. :rolleyes:

Njay16
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I think that any player takes any opponent seriously.

I still consider her a threat. She has that tricky lefty game and the variety and she does beat the top players, but not on a consistent basis. Sometimes her attitude seems to be "Why bother trying". When she is down against a player, particularly venus, she just seems to throw in the towel. I think she has the game to win a slam, at least Roland Garros. I just think she needs the belief that she can do it.

GoDominique
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:48 PM
No.

The Daviator
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Not really, when she was ranked in the top 8, you always wanted your fave to land in her quarter at the Slams, she's talented, but doesn't have enough weapons/consistency...

MH0861
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Not really, when she was ranked in the top 8, you always wanted your fave to land in her quarter at the Slams, she's talented, but doesn't have enough weapons/consistency...

:lol: So true.

cartmancop
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I always saw her as a player that could trouble the top players at times, but never pull off enough big wins in big moments to worry too much about... She is a great player, but just isn't at the same level as the other top players.

Like someone else said, she was always the top 8 seed you hoped that your fave drew in a big tournament b/c it was the best draw you could hope for...

eugreene2
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM

TRUE & TRUE!!!

cypher_88
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
not really

schorsch
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
gah, and i am fed up with all her goals that she always sets on her website, because she nearly never achieves any of them...

you know, you cant be mad at her. she's too sweet, so you feel for her and then she lets her you down... and you get all GRR...

like when she could have blasted henin off the court... she was one point away. for god sakes she can serve up to 190 km an hour. hit an ace and go shake hands... :haha:

schorsch
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM
and we sure do agree that we dislike her husband or at least think he hurts her game/attitude

WorldWar24
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:27 PM

sure, dementieva fans especially :silly:

Patty is a great player people, acknowledge that and even though she doesn't blow people off the court she still plays a more exciting tennis than most players ahead of her in the rankings. Don't expect her to enter the hall of fame because she's happy hitting loopy forehands and here we are now, entertain us Patty

PSchnyder is an underrated, unpretentious underachiever. But she's ok with so we shouldn't worry either

Uranus
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:28 PM
She's still a very dangerous opponent. She should be taken seriously IMO.
Just look how hard Venus had to fight to beat her yesterday.

And she had a MP against Justine in Doha!

Corswandt
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Same here. I never took her seriously as a contender for major titles or as a consistent threat for the top players.

She was one of the top 8 seeds at the Slams for a while mostly because she was one of the few players who managed to stay injury free and play a full schedule throughout the season - she almost inevitably ended up reaching a few QFs or SFs in depleted TI or TII events, usually without having to beat anyone who was actually any good.

mdterp01
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:16 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Is that answer enough for you?

Denise4925
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:20 PM

My thoughts exactly about Patty, especially when my faves were playing their best. But, the fact that she's a lefty and she's tricky, she can give a top player trouble. I think her inconsistency makes the weapons she has ineffective.

TaxPower
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:24 PM
She is a good Top 20 player. She will never be better ranked than n°8

Williams-forever
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Of course, but Patty's a very fragile player. She can have her ups but definitely also her downs. As she has right now. Bad luck, but she'll turn it around sometime.

mdterp01
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Patty doesn't have the weapons to really be a threat for any major tier 1 tournament or slam. No amount of moonballing is gonna get it done these days.

Tennisaddict
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I don´t take her serious anymore which is a shame really because she has such an amazing game when she´s on especially on clay. She´s very talented and can do anything with a ball. She doesn´t have the right mindset and champions attitude though. With her talent she should have won RG at least once. She has a few years left but unfortunately I don´t see her win anything big. She can but she probably won´t.

IceSkaTennisFan
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Psycho Patty will return :p

RJWCapriati
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Not a good year but still NO ONE wants to have Schnyder in their bracket.

K-Dog
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I do. Her game is capable of troubling anyone. She doesn't allow you to get into much of a rhythm because she's a lefty with every spin in the book. She's a Fabrice Santoro of the women's game in a way. The difference is that most men can blast Santoro off the court, where as in the women's game, Patty hits the ball heavy enough and with most women hitting the ball so flat these days, they can lose confidence with the ball coming at them with a different spin each time. Timing is tough to sustain against Schnyder. Not to mention, Patty has a very good and tricky serve that is tough to get a handle on, and even though her shots aren't that hard, the amount of topspin on them makes up for the mph on them. She is one of the few ladies to hit a true heavy ball.

Her problem is that she isn't a mentally tough player. That's what has held her back. She doesn't bring the same intensity and work ethic to the court day-in and day-out. She chokes away leads and has some many uncalled for misses where she isn't under any pressure at all and just shanks a ball or hits it in the net for no apparent reason. She has the game to be a consistent top 6 player, just not the required toughness.

partbrit
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Well, she had to plow through Amelie, Serena, Jennifer, and Mary to get to the 2002 Charleston final.

So, with the right surface, she can do it; but it is her head that gets her every time.

Stamp Paid
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I sure dont want my favorite to play her on the clay. Unfortunately, Patty is only Venus' bitch. She can beat Serena. :sad:

K-Dog
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I sure dont want my favorite to play her on the clay. Unfortunately, Patty is only Venus' bitch. She can beat Serena. :sad:

Once. Five years ago. I believe that it was 7-5 in the third in Serena's third tournament on clay between the years 2000 and up to that point in 2002. She didn't really take clay very seriously in the beginning of her career. It was RG (if that) and a tournament here or there. Serena had control of this match and might have had a match point or match points there. It was unforced error city and Serena still only lost 7-5 in the third. Patty really doesn't know how to beat Serena either. Don't worry.

MatchpointPRT
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I think she has to be taken seriously because she may have a bad attitude but it´s just that... when she´s confident and determined she can play amazing matches and win against the best players.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:08 AM
if she had a mentality like Serena she could be at the top....she's a threat if her mind is in the right place....but once it's not then she's kinda just there like jigglypuff (the pokemon)....but no one would write her off....it's not the same as writing Serena or Venus off but there's a reason she was in the top 10

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I did at the Australian Open.
I really don't know now.
If she makes a good attempt at defending her points next week, I still will give her chance at making a slam final in the next 16 months.
I think Patty might believe her game has peaked but I don't.

I think Patty could get a lot better on her passes.
For a person who loops shots like Nadal she should be able to loop a ball shallow to a player's feet at net.
The next volley would be an easy get then.

She was the worse net passer when she was in the top ten.
Her volleys are aiight but they definately could be better.

Her backhand is definately the flatter shot, she shoud be able to use it as an approach shot.
Her slice could be more aggressive.

I don't really think Patty has a very good inside out forehand.
So there are things that she can do to be better.

I do feel as some commentators have acknowledged, that Patty isn't just a clay court player, she's an all surface player now, well she could be if she actually took the time like Nadal to twink with her game on grass.
So that's a plus.

I think she can still step it up in her game.
Right now she's kinda like Haas in that respect.
Does she have enough time to be able to get it together to beat the top players consistently enough to make the goal of a slam final.

I think she can. I hope she can.
She's still one of my favorites from a tennis generation almost gone.
I just wish her the best and hope she steps it up.

I think the mentality is already there but she has to do a lot with her game that for her to be steady consistently is low percentage.
If she got better in certain areas it would help her.

tennisIlove09
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:26 AM
She actually saved a match point in that win against Serena.
I think what was most impressive is that she was one of 4 players to beat Serena in 2002. (She lost 5 matches, one was a retirement in Sydney).

meyerpl
Apr 6th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Yeah, everyone who has to play Patty takes her seriously.

nsquare
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:12 AM
i still remember her match with steffi at USO 98.She was such a promising girl then.But nowadays she sucks.Her husband is a bad influence on her, her game is unspectacular.....she doesnt even deserve a top 20 ranking anymore.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM

:haha:

Jeff
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Patty is a true talent. It's a shame she wastes it most of the time.

LefandePatty
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I do. I'm sure she will have some very good results this summer. And it starts next week, with Charleston.

*JR*
Apr 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I do. I'm sure she will have some very good results this summer. And it starts next week, with Charleston.
Oh-kay. :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM
what a prediction LOL

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Patty is probably one of the most talented girls out there but I dont feel she has got the most out of her self. Look at Garbin and Farina Elia, much less talent but are getting/have got respectively everything out of their game. Schnyder isnt a world number 1 but could and probably should have won titles like Berlin, rome etc and made the final of RG.

I only see her as a threat on clay

eugreene2
Apr 12th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I don't even see Patty as a threat on clay - one of the most OVER-RATED players in tennis.

azmad_88
Apr 12th, 2007, 04:26 PM
She's still a very dangerous opponent. She should be taken seriously IMO.
Just look how hard Venus had to fight to beat her yesterday.

And she had a MP against Justine in Doha!

i think that ruined her..shes never won a match since!

-sugi-
Apr 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM
i think that ruined her..shes never won a match since!
And I think the match against Golovin in Antwerp :o

Slampova
Apr 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I took her seriously up until around the start of this year, just until whenever since she said her goal was to be Top 5, Then... :tape:

Talula
Apr 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Poor Patty. Even Iva Majoli beat her in the Charleston final when Iva was at her ebb.

Patty reminds me of Petrified - always hovering in the top 10 but never able to make it enough big wins in a row.

Schnyderfreak
Apr 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
A Patty in form is a threat to anyone.
You're not a top ten player for years by being lucky with draws :rolleyes:

.Andrew.
Apr 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I want the real Patty Schynder back. - :sad:

She is really, really having a tough year.

Two matches this yeah could of possibly made a turning point for Patty, maybe to start playing better.

Antwerp QF l. to Golovin. (What a bad line call :tape:)
Doha QF l. to Henin (holding MP)

Since then, Patty has lost R1 in her last 3 tournaments. In Miami to Kanepi :tape: 61 64, in Amelia Island to Venus 36 63 64, and now to Peng in Charleston 16 63 63.

I hope that the real Patty can come out during this clay season. Not only does she have some major points to defend but she is also one of the better clay court players left on tour. Some of her best results being: def Henin 26 63 62 Charleson SF, def Sharapova Rome SF, and how about Serena at Charleston QF 2002, or Capriati Charleston SF 2002 :eek: So please I hope Patty can get back. Patty - :hug:

*JR*
Apr 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Poor Patty. Even Iva Majoli beat her in the Charleston final when Iva was at her ebb.

Patty reminds me of Petrified - always hovering in the top 10 but never able to make it enough big wins in a row.
Iva foot faulted like a bitch in that '02 final, and got away with it. :devil: And re. "always hovering in the top 10", the Peppermint Puzzle was already down to #16 on Monday, and that's B4 her '05 FCC points come off. :yeah: