PDA

View Full Version : Worst Thing that ever happened to Women's Tennis

RogerSeles
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Seles got stabbed by a lunatic assassin

Little Mo's car accident

In this Battle of the Sexes, the 50 plus Bobby Riggs slaughtered the no.1 women's player Margaret Court

Anna Kournikova's failure to win a WTA singles title

Jennifer Capriati drug scandal

Racial slurs against Williams sisters at Indian Wells in 2001

Navratilova Evert rivalry ended with Chrissy's retirement in 1989

RogerSeles
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Addt'l

Monique Viele circus

October
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Monica Seles being stabbed

Racism against William sisters

kiwifan
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Nancy Lieberman :devil:

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Addt'l

Monique Viele circus

nice. Obscure, but nice.

That was a fiasco. I actually exchanged emails with her a little over a year ago, talking about her family tradgedy. She sounded in good spirits and content.

Tennisation
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:16 AM
definitely Seles' stabbing, can't top that:sad:

Hardiansf
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Navratilova lost to Connors in the battle of the sexes 5-7 5-7

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Nancy Lieberman :devil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant!

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Little Mo's car accident

Truck vs Horse.

Truck always wins. Talk about changing the history of the tennis. At age 19, when her right leg was crushed, she had already won 9 of the 11 Grand Slam singles events she entered, having become the first woman in tennis history to win all four majors in a calendar year, while only dropping ONE SET.

At age 31, she was diagnosed with cancer and died at age 34 in 1969.

What a great one we lost!

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Monicas stabbing :sad: She would have been the greatest that had ever played the game. Well, she still is in my book :D :bounce:

klok
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Moinca's stabbing and Little Mo's accident are the two worst things simply because they were great players that would have became unparalled in womens tennis were it not for their injuries.

honeyke
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:04 AM
It´s not THE worst thing ever,but it´s one of the worst things ever: doping scandal Sesil Karatantcheva

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Itīs not THE worst thing ever,but itīs one of the worst things ever: doping scandal Sesil Karatantcheva

i dont think these doping scandals really hurt the sport that much. because i think some people (people who don't know anything about it) question how physical/athletic tennis is and things like this legitimize how difficult it is to get to the top, physically.

Volcana
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Measuring 'worst' by the thing that harmed the sport most

1) Battle of the Sexes I, multi-GS winner Bobby Riggs slaughtered the no.1 women's player Margaret Court.

2) Anna Kournikova's failure to win a WTA singles title. Hard to know what might have been if she hadn't beome a self-parody.

The other things are unfortunate, but they didn't hurt the sport.

ViennaCalling
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Brie Whitehead :devil:

nsquare
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Little Mo's accident

jimbo mack
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Injuries

just imagine what the tour would be like without so many injured players missing

Sefo
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Anna K not winning a title doesn't hurt the sport of tennis at all. Most girls on this tour end their career without a title on the shelf.

The stabbing really hurts the sport because it happened on court. That was a really bad image, showing tennis is not safer than football and that the huligans are everywhere.(e.g. serbo-croat football suporters uproar at the AO, racists at IW, Miami etc.). Security has tightened ever since.

Dasha_
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Monica being stabbed
And someone wining Wimbledon by pure luck few years ago...

CORIA01
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Definetely Monica Seles Stabbing!

Sefo
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM
And someone wining Wimbledon by pure luck few years ago...

Wow, who can be that lucky?

Sefo
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Ok, but if you mentioned Anna K not winning a singles title:

Monica Seles never winning Wimbledon, despite winning 9 GS titles.

A'DAM
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Tennis parents!!! To many to call but we all know what I mean :fiery:

The Dawntreader
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Defintely Seles being stabbed, so unthinkable in so many ways that it could happen. ruined her mentally for so many years:sad: .

Andy T
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Seles got stabbed by a lunatic assassin

Little Mo's car accident

In this Battle of the Sexes, the 50 plus Bobby Riggs slaughtered the no.1 women's player Margaret Court

Anna Kournikova's failure to win a WTA singles title

Jennifer Capriati drug scandal

Racial slurs against Williams sisters at Indian Wells in 2001

Navratilova Evert rivalry ended with Chrissy's retirement in 1989

Little Mo's accident was a fall from a horse, not a car crash. This, and the Seles stabbing are, to me, the greatest disasters to hit women's tennis as they effectively removed the #1 from the sport. The Seles case is worse simply because it was not an accident.

Riggs' win over Court was obliterated by King's win later in the year - no real damage was done to the women's game.

Kournikova - just another promising player without a tour title. It may even have been a good thing; the media would have become even more focussed on looks/fashion instead of the tennis if Anna K had been #1.

Capriati - a personal tragedy but the most damaging aspect imo was that Jen's demise came at the same time as the Seles stabbing, removing the two women who would have been able to challenge Graf from the tout in 93-6.

Racial slurs are always disgusting but even if that incident damaged the Indian Wells tournament, it didn't damage women's tennis per se.

The end of the Chris-Martina rivalry, which was no longer the main storyline in 89, didn't damage the sport as the 69-73 generation of Seles, Graf, Sabatini and Sanchez were there to provide lots of interest and Capriati arrived in 1990 as well.

Hashim.
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Monicas stabbing

John.
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:09 AM
The stabbing

Patrick S
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM
The lack of quality serve-volley players. Since Nathalie Tauziat stopped playing i can´t think of a single decent serve-volley player. I miss Jana Novotna.

Pureracket
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Ok, but if you mentioned Anna K not winning a singles title:

Monica Seles never winning Wimbledon, despite winning 9 GS titles.You REALLY think those two are the same thing?:confused:

frontier
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
hooliganism creeping into tennis tournaments,fans booing when a player from their country is losing.i was really saddened by shahar peer's fans in miami when they booed at her opponents.AO 07 was another example when those hooligans started fighting whats next ,.
gun shots.
there is a culture of violence manifestering at tournaments with strong immigrant communities like the croatians and serbians in australia.guga used to have supporters but they were generally not bothering anybody.i think with this new breed of fans we are going to hear of fans fighting in the stands almost like the soccer fans in europe,more heckling more racial insults.

Mr.Kardashian
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
the seles incident =(

damir dokic... (Lol) etc...

Nickk
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm not familiar with the matches, but how on earth could those battles of the sexes hurt women's tennis?
I mean, women are not comparable to men considering sports for obvious reasons..
I thought those "battles" were nothing but entertainment:shrug:

Kunal
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
monicas stabbing

and racism against the williams

calabar
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I'm not familiar with the matches, but how on earth could those battles of the sexes hurt women's tennis?
I mean, women are not comparable to men considering sports for obvious reasons..
I thought those "battles" were nothing but entertainment

I totally agree, particularly with the last statement. I never understood why the media gave so much creedence to those matches, especially the made-for-TV Bobby Riggs v. Billie Jean King.

Helen Lawson
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Backstreet really was poor in retrospect. And making The Conquerer was a bad career move for all involved, on multiple levels. How I ever thought playing Bortai the Tartar princess against John Wayne as Ghengis Kahn would ever work, I have no idea.

miffedmax
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM
That Helen was born with artistic, not athletic, talent, 'cause we all know she would have owned tennis.

Lunatiq
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Injuries

just imagine what the tour would be like without so many injured players missing

Right

Helen Lawson
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
That Helen was born with artistic, not athletic, talent, 'cause we all know she would have owned tennis.

You got it, hon! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Nice avatar, too. :D

*JR*
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Rainer Harnecker and Rainer Hofmann.

Bikic Bastards

:o

pengluv
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
the chinese tennis fed

thrust
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
The Seles stabbing, then Little Mo accident.

canoe.
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Larry Scott and his ilk. Their belief that style over substance is the way to market the game.

Players who now believe it's more important to look good rather play good.

Over sized racquets. I'm not for going back to wood racquets, but the sledge hammers players play with now often make the game boring and have killed serve and volleying.

Too many hard court tournaments, and disappearing grass courts.

Ferosh
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Larry Scott and IMG

fatfat
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM
sixoclockova

rockwithme
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
definitely Seles' stabbing, can't top that:sad:

second that

Tennisaddict
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I also think that Monica´s stabbing is the worst.

Can someone enlighten me about little Mo?
What is her full name and in what period did she play?
I can´t beiieve I never read about her when she has won 9 slams.
People with less slam wins from the past get discussed more.

Helen Lawson
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I also think that Monicaīs stabbing is the worst.

Can someone enlighten me about little Mo?
What is her full name and in what period did she play?
I canīt beiieve I never read about her when she has won 9 slams.
People with less slam wins from the past get discussed more.

Here's the very short version:

http://www.amiannoying.com/(S(dvbzbjijrd3ewh45zgrsgzn1))/view.aspx?id=1953&collection=2917

A cement truck or something spooked her horse and the injury ended her tennis career, then she died young, too, very sad.

Tennisaddict
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Here's the very short version:

http://www.amiannoying.com/(S(dvbzbjijrd3ewh45zgrsgzn1))/view.aspx?id=1953&collection=2917

A cement truck or something spooked her horse and the injury ended her tennis career, then she died young, too, very sad.

Thank you, thatīs indeed a very sad story.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
-Little Mo's accident.

-The fact that Suzanne Lenglen and Helen Wills only played one match against each other (and before Wills' prime at that).

-Pauline Betz' career. She was one of the best players of the 1940's, but between 1941 and 1945 the US Open was the only slam tournament being played because of world war II and in 1947 she was suspended by the USTA because she wanted to make a pro tour. Without those two major setbacks chances are that she would have won so much that we would now consider her a tier 1 ATG.

-The burnout of early 80's players such as Tracy Austin and Andrea Jaeger. If they had stayed healthy they would have given Evert, Navratilova and Mandlikova a run for their money and the 80's would almost have been as competitive a decade as the 70's.

-The stabbing of Monica Seles, robbing tennis of the most important rivalry of the 90's.

sundoulos
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
-The burnout of early 80's players such as Tracy Austin and Andrea Jaeger. If they had stayed healthy they would have given Evert, Navratilova and Mandlikova a run for their money and the 80's would almost have been as competitive a decade as the 70's.

There have been some recent news stories about Jaeger in US television, that after she left tennis she discovered her calling in life by becoming a nun and running a retreat center to help children with cancer and their families. And she haven't picked up a tennis racket since and haven't looked back to fame and fortune on the tennis court. There are some things that are more important than tennis. :angel: :kiss:

piercerocks
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
i think monica's stabbing is one of the worse things that have happened in sports.

LegionArgentina
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:18 PM
-Monicas stabbing

- Fathers against her daughter.

- Recently i read that Sharar Peer cant play in some country.. i dont remember which one.. i dont like her but it is really sad when a player from other culture/religion cant play where she want

misael
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Monica stabbing, Maybe we would have another Evert/Navrotilova Between Monica and Steffi, if Monica was'nt stabbed at her tennis prime.

Apoorv
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Monica's stabbing is among the worst things that have ever happened in sports. It def. features at the top of the list in tennis.

RogerSeles
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Monicas stabbing :sad: She would have been the greatest that had ever played the game. Well, she still is in my book :D :bounce:

The sport is bigger than one person ... and the years that Monica was absent were by far the worst years for women's tennis ... Graf went from winning nearly nothing, to winning everything ... it was not a good time for the sport ...

ps14mn18
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:50 PM
- The Seles stabbing.

- The Williams Sisters incident in Indian Wells in 2001.

- Loudmouth tennis parents (Jim Pierce, Damir Dokic, Samantha Stevenson, Richard Williams, etc.)

- Tiger Woods (affects both women's and men's tennis in that kids who might have gone to tennis, now go to golf)

- The Year End Championships moving away from Madison Square Garden in New York. The Championships don't have the same buzz as before since the move.

piercerocks
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
- The Seles stabbing.

- The Williams Sisters incident in Indian Wells in 2001.

- Loudmouth tennis parents (Jim Pierce, Damir Dokic, Samantha Stevenson, Richard Williams, etc.)

- Tiger Woods (affects both women's and men's tennis in that kids who might have gone to tennis, now go to golf)

- The Year End Championships moving away from Madison Square Garden in New York. The Championships don't have the same buzz as before since the move.

i was there at the last YEC at madison square.. very sad that it isnt there anymore

mdterp01
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Monica Seles' stabbing. Definitely the worst. :fiery: :fiery:

booshbish
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Richard Williams

His daughters are the product. Take a step back and let 'em play without his unnecessary noise and desire to be heard. Good for Oracene to leave that ship; I'm sure he was not an easy person to deal with at the best of times.

Brooklyn90
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Richard Williams

His daughters are the product. Take a step back and let 'em play without his unnecessary noise and desire to be heard. Good for Oracene to leave that ship; I'm sure he was not an easy person to deal with at the best of times.

Richard is a great father and coach. To raise to girls to be grand slam champions in Compton California is just amazing. And so what if he speaks his mind. At least he's better than Yuri Sharapov :tape:

booshbish
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Richard is a great father and coach. To raise to girls to be grand slam champions in Compton California is just amazing. And so what if he speaks his mind. At least he's better than Yuri Sharapov :tape:

You do know the Compton thing, while true, is greatly exaggerated? Venus and Serena, my babygirl, spent many of their formative years in Florida at Bolliterri's.

Yuri and Richard are so alike it's scary. Mmoney money money money. They saw dollar signs not daughters.