PDA

View Full Version : Should Patty Schnyder retire.

GoDominique
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM
IMO Patty is just going through the motions right now, and she desperately needs to make some changes or else her career will fizzle out in mediocrity.

Actually this has been evident for quite a while already. While her game is still as dangerous as before, it's her attitude that's causing all the trouble.

Can anyone remember her last win in a "big" match"?
I think it might all have started back in 2005 at the Australian Open. Patty was in fine form and had this huge comeback from 6-7 0-4 down against Dementieva in the 4th round. Then she lost against Dechy in the QF. In retrospect this was a HUGE chance for her to reach her first Slam final or maybe even win the whole thing.
Since then she has had dozens of matches where her mind just wandered off in the third set, and also many many bad chokes. I especially remember last year's match agains Na Li in Berlin where she had countless match-points and played so damn passively on all of them that she ended up losing the match. The same happened against Justine a few weeks ago. She seems to have completely lost her winning mentality and confidence.
And now her results seem to get worse as well. Her negative comments before today's match said it all, she doesn't believe in herself at all.

IMO it doesn't make much sense for her to keep playing like that, except if it's just about earning some easy money. Either she gets into better mental shape pronto or else she will never fulfil her enormous potential.

*JR*
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM
IMO it doesn't make much sense for her to keep playing like that, except if it's just about earning some easy money. Either she gets into better mental shape pronto or else she will never fulfil her enormous potential.
Hoffy has some expensive habits for his Peppermint Puppet to bankroll. :help:

Kunal
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
plateau

Monica_Rules
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah i think Patty did have a huge chance in the 2005 Aus open and she blew it against someone she could beat easily.

She was pretty consistent last year but nothing amazing.

I hope she can steady the ship soon. But with it being the clay court season i'm sure she will.

John.
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM
The main problem is her attitude. I know she had a poor record going into the match with Vee, but she was more or less saying beforehand that she wasn't going to win it.

Perhaps she is going through the motions. The Olympics next year is maybe her goal. Who knows.

Meteor Shower
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Yep, yep, yep.
I've said this before, one handed backhand, or improve the slice.
The two-handed backhand is just not good enough.

I really think she can be one of the players who suddently has this breakthrough at 30+.

Helen Lawson
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Maybe she can't concentrate on her game because she's working on that dumb book about Eminem and the spiders.

partbrit
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM
It's always the head with Patty. Sure, there are some things she could do to improve her game, but if she could get her head straight, she'd be doing a whole lot better with the game she already has.

Infiniti2001
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I don't say it often, but to me Patty has the most eye pleasing game on the tour. Gosh, how could she let all that talent go to waste? She needs a kickass coach , not an enabler UGH.

vutt
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM
wow, mainly top tenner and medicority - some posters standards are so high...

rightous
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I have to agree that Patty has more often than not 'checked' out of matches. If tennis was based on talent alone, Patty would have won slams by not. But given that you have to battle and be match tough it seems like again a great talent who couldn't cope with the pressure is all she will be.

I hope I'm wrong, b/c she is one of my favourite players to watch.

partbrit
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
She needs a kickass coach , not an enabler UGH.

Amen.

*JR*
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM
She needs a kickass coach, not an enabler UGH.Don't you get it? Hoffy would never risk his meal ticket bonding with one (ala Justine and Carlos) for fear that she might realize she doesn't need him around. ;)

Orion
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
She's too old to stay in the top 10 with her style of play. She doesn't win enough easy matches, and she's not mentally tough enough. I love Schnyder, I think she's exciting to watch and among the most attractive players on tour, but she's not going to make it back into the top 10. Too many other players have better weapons with more consistency.

Orion
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I will say she deserved all the time she spent in the top 10, because she did something very different from the other girls on tour at the time and was duly rewarded for it, but she hasn't played top 10 quality tennis in back-to-back-to-back tournaments (my judge of consistency is winning two or more matches in three consecutive tournaments) since the US Hardcourts last year, and didn't have a consistently stellar clay season last year. That Charleston final is very deceptive. She played top 15 tennis at best for most of the clay season, that win over Henin being the sole exception. The problem now is she has 210 points to defend off of one tournament and she's not likely to replicate that success. The only consolation is that she didn't do too well at Berlin or Rome, so she can make up some ground there, but there are too many girls who are clamoring to knock her out of the top 20 for her to last too much longer. Pity, too, since she's among the most fascinating, unique players on tour, both technically and psychologically.

thetennisgirl
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:56 PM
She seems comfortable enough where she is, there doesn't seem to be much ambition in her...she needs to believe in herself a bit more!!!

iPatty
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
she's gearing up for her retirement in 2008. i think she's happy as long as she gets to play the olympics.

like, i just can't sense the fight from her that i used to. not sure what the problem is. she's just lost so many matches recently that she doesn't need to lose.

TFan1156
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Maybe she can't concentrate on her game because she's working on that dumb book about Eminem and the spiders.

:lol:

Mightymirza
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
well she had a stellar win over justine henin last year on clay..Same thing that rafa does to Fed :o

Kart
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Either she gets into better mental shape pronto or else she will never fulfil her enormous potential.

There has been no evidence for some time now that she has any interest in 'getting into better mental shape.'

It is a waste but the impression I get from her nowadays is that she doesn't really care that much.

Which perhaps is the problem.

WorldWar24
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Patty never wanted to be a no1 player, she's satisfied with her achievements I feel, and no one can blame her. She's one of the most balanced top players, she's had ups and downs but found a way back every time simply because she's a complete person. Tennis shouldn't be everything, and Patty knows that for a while now. In a couple of years she'll retire, I'll just try to appreciate every time she's on tv because she won't be around for long, and her tennis is always a beauty to watch. Who cares about results at this stage, that's for Sharapova and her sponsors to worry about. I think everyone should do the same. Enjoy, it's a game ;)

new-york
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
i so wish she had done way more than she already did.
But what can you do when she looks like it's not really dramatic for her.

*JR*
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
well she had a stellar win over justine henin last year on clay..Same thing that rafa does to Fed :o
Except that Rafa owns Fedex on clay, whilst (Britspeak for Kart's benefit) :p Justine has won 4 of her 5 clay contests with the Strange Suissie.

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/headtohead.asp?player=20010490&opponent=20006783

TaxPower
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I like her game but she has never been really constant. I think she played a good match against Henin a few weeks ago. She was just unlucky

Bruno71
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM
She's started to lose ground to the new set of players currently competing for her former slot in the top 10...Chakvetadze, Jankovic, Vaidisova, Peer, etc. She'll still give everyone loads of trouble as always.

fammmmedspin
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM
i thought she just lost energy and with it consistency and attack after she had a really great year. Since 2005 she hasn't had enough good days. if she gets back I can't see that the people around her in the rankings have improved that much and many are in similar straits. Anna C is giving them trouble with far less tools than Patty. if she doesn't get her full form back the question may be is she enjoying it.

lolas
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I haven't seen her playing on TV for ages which is quite unusual. I want her to cum strongly

Stamp Paid
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I want her to cum strongly

:speakles::spit:

hwanmig
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Patty obviously has the talent and the game to trouble top players but her mentality does held her back. I don't think there is anything wrong with being overconfident, it actually works for a lot of players.

UDACHi
Apr 6th, 2007, 03:40 AM
:speakles::spit:

glad to know that i'm not the only pervert in here. :wavey:

lolas
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
glad to know that i'm not the only pervert in here. :wavey:

We alll have our little dirty fantasies, don't we.