Seles dethroning dominant Graf in 1991

William Sisters ranking #1 and #2 in the world

Navratilova Evert Rivalry

BJK defeating Bobby Riggs in battle of the sexes

Resurgence of Jennifer Capriati

Ana Kournikova and Maria Sharapova joining the Wta Tour

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM
BJK defeating Bobby Riggs in battle of the sexes!

And Williams SiStars!

AcesHigh
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
The work of Billie Jean King... she's an amazing woman.

kiwifan
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:59 PM
BJK defeating Bobby Riggs in battle of the sexes by far and then...

Navratilova Evert Rivalry (everyone please read the book, "The Rivals")

I love Seles, JCap and the Williams Sisters but their achievements were just great for them and their fans; I don't think they rise to Best Thing Ever status other than being the best thing ever to their fans.

RJWCapriati
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Yep - you're right on those

Jasmin
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I agree. Now I want to add Serena making a comeback. Love or hate she just brings an excitement back to the game.

Volcana
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:12 AM
1) BJK defeating Bobby Riggs in battle of the sexes (II)

2) Suzanne Lenglen's style of dress.

3) The emergence of Chris Evert, first superstar of the Open Era

4) The Court-King rivalry - Tennis was much more popular in the Court-King era than the Evert-Navratliova. Cause or effect?

5) Evert-Navratilova rivalry - It ddin't help tennis at the time, but now it's a foundation piece of the credibility of the women's game.

6) Presence of Williams sisters on tour - For draggin eyeballs to the TV who otherwise just wouldn't watch

7) Anna Kournikova - For draggin eyeballs to the TV who otherwise just wouldn't watch

8) Martina Hingis - For putting wizardry back into the game at a time when it was almost lost.

9) Justine Henin - For putting to bed the mythology that small players couldn't win on the WTA tour anymore.

10) King-Evert, Court-Goolagong, Navratilova-Graf, Graf-Seles

RogerSeles
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I agree. Now I want to add Serena making a comeback. Love or hate she just brings an excitement back to the game.

Serena is the most exciting player to watch since Monica Seles. Sharapova is also exciting to watch.

John.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM
BJK :worship:

Pasta-Na
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Serena is the most exciting player to watch since Monica Seles. Sharapova is also exciting to watch.

how come u got bad reps :p

serenafann
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:15 AM
The great BJK,because of what she has meant to Women's tennis.
The Chris - Martina Rivalry.
Steffi and Monica.
Serena Williams.
Venus Williams.

ImaVeggie
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:27 AM
The work of Billie Jean King... she's an amazing woman.

I second that!

venusfan
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:36 AM
9) Justine Henin - For putting to bed the mythology that small players couldn't win on the WTA tour anymore.

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :lol: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

RogerSeles
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:04 AM
:armed: how come u got bad reps :p

Someone got jealous and decided to stab me in the back :unsure: :lol:

Brooklyn90
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Richard and Oracene Williams having sex and spawning off two champions in under 2 years!!!

trufanjay
Apr 5th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Venus and Serena

They changed tennis and inspired many African Americans to pick up a tennis racket.

azmad_88
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:57 AM
everything :)

DemWilliamsGulls
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Seles dethroning dominant Graf in 1991

William Sisters ranking #1 and #2 in the world

Navratilova Evert Rivalry

BJK defeating Bobby Riggs in battle of the sexes

Resurgence of Jennifer Capriati

Ana Kournikova and Maria Sharapova joining the Wta Tour

Those wainches CHANGED THE GAME BABY!!!!! Took it to the next level! :worship:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:13 AM
paco!!! LOL I love that!!!!:worship:

Tennisation
Apr 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Graf vs. Seles rivalry
Williams sisters power amd athleticism
Hingis strategy over power game style
blond babe Kournikova and Sharapova

nsquare
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
1)the works of BJK
2)the emergence of the williamses
3)evert-martina rivalry
4)emergence of players like mirza,na li and Date who hav helped extend the fan base of wta across the largest continent in the world

tennnisfannn
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM
ElenaD for giving every amateur who cannot serve HOPE that they can make it to the top 5 among the tennis elite.

Dasha_
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Williams sisters becoming tennis players

CORIA01
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Steffi/monica
Martina's Sense Of Play

Sefo
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Williams sisters meeting in 6 Grand Slam finals.

I remember the USO'01 was largely mediatized even in my country by this. People who otherwise wouldn't talk tennis talked about it.

auntie janie
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
ElenaD for giving every amateur who cannot serve HOPE that they can make it to the top 5 among the tennis elite.

:lol:

Apoorv
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I think Graf-Seles rivalry was the time when tennis reached its peak popularity in India. I think Graf has been the most popular female tennis player in India before Mirza. But in the scenario of the world, i think the following four points are important:

1) Work of BJK. (The mother of WTA!)
2) Rivalries - Nav/Chris, Nav/Graf, Graf/Seles
3) Williams sisters appearance and a four sided rivalry b/w them and hingis, davenport.
4) Emergence of players from divergent places where tennis is not popular making it a global sport in a true sense.

Kunal
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
lol at ana K joining the wta

Kunal
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
yea i think one poster above me makes a good point that the emergence of players from countries that are not traditional churners of tennis players is actually a big plus.

China is doing great in this regard.

I really hope India follows suit...so much talent, but little drive and application.

if we start getting the latter in order we will be making some really budding stars.

sania mirza for all her hype has flattered to deceive.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
The emergence of two Belgians and a Russian.

lecciones
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM
1) BJK defeating Bobby Riggs in battle of the sexes (II)

2) Suzanne Lenglen's style of dress.

3) The emergence of Chris Evert, first superstar of the Open Era

4) The Court-King rivalry - Tennis was much more popular in the Court-King era than the Evert-Navratliova. Cause or effect?

5) Evert-Navratilova rivalry - It ddin't help tennis at the time, but now it's a foundation piece of the credibility of the women's game.

6) Presence of Williams sisters on tour - For draggin eyeballs to the TV who otherwise just wouldn't watch

7) Anna Kournikova - For draggin eyeballs to the TV who otherwise just wouldn't watch

8) Martina Hingis - For putting wizardry back into the game at a time when it was almost lost.

10) King-Evert, Court-Goolagong, Navratilova-Graf, Graf-Seles

I totally agree with this pos, although i have no idea about suzanne's dresses :) I'd add Chris keeping the sport feminine and aside from bringing eyeballs to the TV for tennis, I'd include for the William sisters making tennis very exciting (although I didn't watch tennis those years, I am sure the two sisters who dominated in 2003 made every match worthwhile to watch) even after Lindsay and Martina kinda left the scene around 2002.

miffedmax
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
BJK's beating Bobby Riggs grabbed the headlines, but it was the organizational work she did and her willingness to stand up for professionals that was really critical. It's arguable that the ATP even benefited from this work.

And signing with Virginia Slims was huge, even if you're not a big fan of tobacco.