PDA

View Full Version : Where's Magui Serna?

.Andrew.
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Where did Magui go? :sad:

She played in a $25K last year in her first tourney and made it to the Finals only to lose to Rezai.

She then lost every match that she played for the rest of that year (3 tournaments)

I hope to see Magui back playing on tour. I liked her game style.

She hasn't had any really solid results though since 2003 finishing with a 41-28 record. In 2004 & 2005 she was under .500 and in 2006 she finished at .500 but only played 8 matches overall.

MS
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM
She will probably play in Gran Canaria in May. Hopefully she'll play regularly from then.

.Andrew.
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
She will probably play in Gran Canaria in May. Hopefully she'll play regularly from then.

Thanks. :hug:

So I'm guessing she is injured as of now? :confused:

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
hope she comes back - a very good grass court player!!!

.Andrew.
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:09 PM
hope she comes back - a very good grass court player!!!

Her best results have come on clay though - in 2003 (her last full season) she won 2 clay titles (Estoril, Budapest) also making Warsaw QF, Berlin R16 (wins over Farina Elia, Rubin before losing to Likhovsteva in 3), Rome R32 (loses tight one to Hantuchova), Madrid R32, and RG R16 (beating [Q]Sharapova 63, 63 :drool: Pistolesi and Harkleroad before being routed by Mauresmo)

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Her best results have come on clay though - in 2003 (her last full season) she won 2 clay titles (Estoril, Budapest) also making Warsaw QF, Berlin R16 (wins over Farina Elia, Rubin before losing to Likhovsteva in 3), Rome R32 (loses tight one to Hantuchova), Madrid R32, and RG R16 (beating [Q]Sharapova 63, 63 :drool: Pistolesi and Harkleroad before being routed by Mauresmo)

had there been more grass court events and easy ones at that like Estoril and Budapest she would have won them :p

I really think grass was her better surface - but we are all entitled to our opinions

GoDominique
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I think she's done. :(

.Andrew.
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM
had there been more grass court events and easy ones at that like Estoril and Budapest she would have won them :p

I really think grass was her better surface - but we are all entitled to our opinions

True. :p

Tenis Srbija
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I think she is retired... She just plays those tournaments that are close to her home. That's what Ana Timotić, Serbian player stacioned in Spain, told me... :)

BTW I adore Magui :hearts: She was amazing player :D

Sonf@
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Well, Ana Timotic is wrong :p

Magüi has spent these last years recovering from a shoulder injury. she tried a come back a few times but wasn't really on shape. She's trying to regain it now. Let's hope she can make since she's got not much time

TaxPower
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, she has a very special game. I hope to see her soon

tennisbuddy12
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Magüi continues training hard and preparing to play tournaments again soon. In principle, she is expected to start her season on the week of the 14th of May, at the tournament of $25,000 of Gran Canaria, which is played at the club where she trains, on clay

off some Magui site

Tenis Srbija
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Well, Ana Timotic is wrong :p

Magüi has spent these last years recovering from a shoulder injury. she tried a come back a few times but wasn't really on shape. She's trying to regain it now. Let's hope she can make since she's got not much time

I'm glad she is :woohoo:

auntie janie
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Whatever you might say about wtaworld, it's still the place to come to learn the latest Magüi news. :hearts:

LUXXXAS
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Come back Magui!!! :fiery: :bigcry:

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Whatever you might say about wtaworld, it's still the place to come to learn the latest Magüi news. :hearts:

:lol:

.Andrew.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Yay, nice to see her coming back. :)

She has some final points to defend :yippee:

MS
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:32 AM
She has the intention to come back and play often tennis tournaments, but she won't be back till she sees she can do well in the small tournaments she will play at he beginning. If she does better there, she'll try bigger tournaments. So fingers crossed!

jimbo mack
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM
i remember when she beat reigning french open champ pierce at wimbledon '00, she made it all the way to quarter-finals

however, i did not enjoy her win over steffi at canadian open '98, especially as steffi had beaten her not long before, in birmingham

tobi
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Loved to watch her game :hearts:

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Anyone have recent news on Magui? :confused:

canoe.
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Where's Magui Serna?In a buffet line somewhere.

njnetswill
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:31 AM
A Spanish poster said she is at university right now.

RenaSlam.
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:37 AM
She's probably eating.

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:55 AM
In a buffet line somewhere.

Not funny.

A Spanish poster said she is at university right now.

Thanks, will she play any tournaments soon? :)

She's probably eating.

You aren't funny as well. Very corny really.

canoe.
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Not funny.

I know she was so fat it was pathetic really! Was she big boned? ;)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39608000/jpg/_39608479_serna_getty_270.jpg

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I know she was so fat it was pathetic really! Was she big boned? ;)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39608000/jpg/_39608479_serna_getty_270.jpg

OK. But I'm asking on this thread if she is playing any tournaments soon. So please don't spam the thread :) ;)

Caz
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Magüi!!! *sigh* I wish she would come back! The latest I have heard is that she is still planning on making a comeback and will play tournaments again at some, unspecified, point in the future, but I doubt this will actually happen more and more as time passes. I hope I'm worng though! It would be great to see her back one day!!! :)

darice
Jul 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
i just asked about magui in that thread about players not living up to their potential. i still remember along time ago seeing her play @ the us open and her screaming when she beat kim po who was a seed. it was awesome and i liked magui ever since. :)

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Magüi!!! *sigh* I wish she would come back! The latest I have heard is that she is still planning on making a comeback and will play tournaments again at some, unspecified, point in the future, but I doubt this will actually happen more and more as time passes. I hope I'm worng though! It would be great to see her back one day!!! :)

Magui :sad: I hope to see her back as well. She played for a little in early 2006 and made the finals of a 25K. :) Hopefully she will play some this year. :)

i just asked about magui in that thread about players not living up to their potential. i still remember along time ago seeing her play @ the us open and her screaming when she beat kim po who was a seed. it was awesome and i liked magui ever since. :)

Yeah, I hope Magui will come back on tour too. :)

Bueno
Jul 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hope you can come back,Magui. I miss you. Loved your attacking net game. Remember you fondly from Eastbourne.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Dunkin Doughnuts?

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Dunkin Doughnuts?

Not funny. Corny as well :rolleyes:

Why are you going to post on the thread if you know you don't know if Magui is playing any tournaments? :confused: :rolleyes:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM
because i can?

RenaSlam.
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Not funny. Corny as well :rolleyes:

Why are you going to post on the thread if you know you don't know if Magui is playing any tournaments? :confused: :rolleyes:

We can post whatever we want. You do not control that. :p

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
because i can?

I think you were trying to be funny. :rolleyes:

The Kaz
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:08 PM
She's probably eating.

Thats rich coming from someone whose fav is Serena Williams :rolleyes:

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
because i can?

Yeah obviously. :p

We can post whatever we want. You do not control that. :p

Yeah.. But I bumped the thread so I can find out if Magui is playing in any tournaments soon...

Well anyways let's get back on topic.. If anyone knows, please post here. :)

Thanks! :wavey:

RenaSlam.
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thats rich coming from someone whose fav is Serena Williams :rolleyes:

I'm sure Serena could eat 3,000 wedding cakes a day and still beat the shit out of your faves.

PWNED.

darice
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah.. But I bumped the thread so I can find out if Magui is playing in any tournaments soon...

Well anyways let's get back on topic.. If anyone knows, please post here. :)

Thanks! :wavey:

:yeah: :clap2:

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM
:yeah: :clap2:

Thanks ;)

The Kaz
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I'm sure Serena could eat 3,000 wedding cakes a day and still beat the shit out of your faves.

PWNED.

That wasnt the point ;)

And i like my favs NOT because there the best players in the world but because they have nice games, are nice people and utilize all the talent that they possess. :D

As the old saying goes...better to lose gracefully than to win sourly. Thank of that when you bagg everyones favs out at will :rolleyes: Low life

darice
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
yay magui! :D

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020415/sp5.jpg

The Kaz
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
yay magui! :D

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020415/sp5.jpg

Nice pic :D

What title was that?

darice
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Nice pic :D

What title was that?

estoril

Spanish tennis player Magui Serna raises her Estoril Tennis Open trophy at the Jamor Sports Centre on Sunday. Magui Serna won the Open beating German Anca Barna 6-4, 6-2. —Reuters

The Kaz
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
estoril

Spanish tennis player Magui Serna raises her Estoril Tennis Open trophy at the Jamor Sports Centre on Sunday. Magui Serna won the Open beating German Anca Barna 6-4, 6-2. —Reuters

The Estoril trophy is really nice :eek:

I thought for a moment that she had won Sydney :lol:

MS
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Magüi is supposed to play at some stage this season, but there are no news on her comeback, so things aren't looking too good. She is studying at university these years she isn't playing much.

darice
Jul 25th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Magüi is supposed to play at some stage this season, but there are no news on her comeback, so things aren't looking too good. She is studying at university these years she isn't playing much.

thx for the info! the collage of magui pics on your site is really nice. :)

InTheGloaming
Jul 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM

I hope that Magui has great success with her studies and any new ventures. I heard that she is from Las Palmas - one of my favourite cities in the World. It would be great to see her back, but if she prefers something else, then good luck to her. Personally I'd prefer to study and spend time on Las Canteras with friends than bother with a Tour!

.Andrew.
Jul 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Thanks ;) :)

Matt01
Jul 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM

PWNED.

OMG :weirdo: :smash:

Tenis Srbija
Jul 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
C'mon Serna! Please do comeback :D

MS
Sep 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Updates (no come back planned)

http://www.geocities.com/maguiserna/noticiasen.html

Alvarillo
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Magüi :sad:

It's a shame she couldn't reach the top of her level because of injuries, she was a very talented player, funny to watch. Hope to meet her in Fed Cup Finals!

ce
Sep 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Serna :(

MS
Sep 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Magüi :sad:

It's a shame she couldn't reach the top of her level because of injuries, she was a very talented player, funny to watch. Hope to meet her in Fed Cup Finals!

Yes, it's a shame :sad: But it's good that she is happy with what she si doing now.

jjlove
Sep 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I saw her last year at the Barcelona tournament and she was very out of shape. I hope she does well and comes back soon, she is nice to watch.

azza
Sep 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
i remember Serna/Molik was good combo.

lulz both retired into oblivion now.

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM
She is eating burguers close to my home

Jorn
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the info MS :)

In 1999 I saw Magui for the first time at the player Hotel in Leipzig. Its a long time, but I still remember! also more years she played in Leipzig ;)

New_balls_please
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
She is eating burguers close to my home

I can´t believe how rude you are towards the spanish players... :o

Sadly, I´m not surprised from what I saw last year. She was really out of shape :sad: but looked happy. Seems she´s enjoying uni life and doesn´t want to come back.

PamShriver
Sep 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I think I saw her working as a cashier at a Payless Shoe Outlet in Flint, Michigan...maybe it was her sister or someone who looked a lot like her though...

MS
Sep 14th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hope to meet her in Fed Cup Finals!

Hehe, I have seen you met her there! I will put here the pic you put in another thread ;) She looks happy there

http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1928vi6.jpg

.Andrew.
Sep 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Magui. :sad:
Well it's good to know that she is enjoying her retirement. :wavey: Thanks for the info MS. :worship:

Juan
Sep 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hehe, I have seen you met her there! I will put here the pic you put in another thread ;) She looks happy there

http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1928vi6.jpg

Not only we took a photo with her, we also talked to her and she told us that this year she will finish her university degree and after that she may try to comeback. She was very nice and funny, talking with us for some minutes :worship: we even told her about tennisforum.com :lol:

Gallofa
Sep 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
We also saw Magui yesterday at the Fed Cup, she told us about the same things she told Juan. Also said that she was just back from Arantxa's wedding ;) She also said that she had played a few days ago for the first time in nearly a year and felt that she did well.

At one point we were queuing to get back in for the doubles match and I was standing next to Magüi... the man at the door wouldn't let her in, and I realised she was too polite to pull the "you don't know who I am" card, so I interfered and told the man that she was Magüi Serna! a legend of the Spanish fed cup team! and so he let her in ;) Hehehehe.

New_balls_please
Sep 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
At one point we were queuing to get back in for the doubles match and I was standing next to Magüi... the man at the door wouldn't let her in, and I realised she was too polite to pull the "you don't know who I am" card, so I interfered and told the man that she was Magüi Serna! a legend of the Spanish fed cup team! and so he let her in ;) Hehehehe.

lol

raquel
Sep 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Good luck to Magui in the future :hug: I always enjoyed watching her play.

I hope she enjoyed the final, and ASV's wedding ;)

laurie
Sep 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
What an interesting thread - I was often wondering what happened to Magui as I like her as well. Thanks to everyone for the information.

Pamela Shriver
Oct 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm friends with her on Facebook.

Hazel
Oct 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm friends with her on Facebook.

Along with Maria Bueno and Suzanne Lenglen?!