PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 98, Venus V Novotna?

VishaalMaria
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
What actually went down in this match? I saw a clip on TV and Venus was shouting at the umpire. Why?

I think it was something like.

Venus: "She knows it's out, they know it's out, EVERYBODY KNOWS IT'S OUT! YOU DO KNOW IT"S OUT!":lol: :lol: :lol:

lecciones
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
If you have a clip it would be nice I haven't seen this although Ive read some threads here already about them but didn't see any link for a clip :(

Infiniti2001
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
That was the last time Venus fussed about a bad call :lol:

lecciones
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I guess I'll just look it up on google.

mauresmofan
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah Venus was in foul humour that match - 2 arguements with the umpire - crying at a change of ends and she gave the umpire a most unmerciful staredown at one point. She was whacking the ball with such venom and anger after those arguements.

tennisIlove09
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Actually that match changed Venus. Never again has she got so upset on the court. It was that match that allowed Venus to learn from that. She lost her focus. She lost her concentration. She lost the match. She became mentally tougher.

Pam Shriver commented on it during an Australian Open. Venus got hosed on a call during the 2001 Aussie Open during an early round. And Venus let it go. Didnt say anything. And Pam said "Venus learned from that 98 Wimbledon. She never questions anything".

It was so clear, especially during the summer of 2001. She has this way of shaking off bad points, or bad calls and just playing the next point fresh. The 2001 US Open semis against Capriati is a great example of this.

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Actually that match changed Venus. Never again has she got so upset on the court. It was that match that allowed Venus to learn from that. She lost her focus. She lost her concentration. She lost the match. She became mentally tougher.

Pam Shriver commented on it during an Australian Open. Venus got hosed on a call during the 2001 Aussie Open during an early round. And Venus let it go. Didnt say anything. And Pam said "Venus learned from that 98 Wimbledon. She never questions anything".

It was so clear, especially during the summer of 2001. She has this way of shaking off bad points, or bad calls and just playing the next point fresh. The 2001 US Open semis against Capriati is a great example of this.

Yeah, I agree.
Although her outburst was pretty funny :lol:

lecciones
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Thats a very good mentality :P kudos to her for overcoming that experience.

Paneru
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Thats a very good mentality :P kudos to her for overcoming that experience.

Ineed! :cool:

Could you imagine how that Venus would've
reacted during the Serena/Jennifer USO
debacle with all those horrendous calls.

Lady V would've had an utter fit
on the woman's head! :lol:

mauresmofan
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM
The only other time I recall her getting any way agitated was when her beads cracked and fell off onto the court against Davenport in Australia - me thinks 99 but amn't 100% on that one - the umpire rightfully gave her a point penalty which changed the match from being exrtremely close to a run away victory for Lindsay.

40-0
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah Spencercarlos please finish this match!

The Dawntreader
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
One of my fav Venus moments:lol: :worship:

jimbo mack
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
this was a great moment, she has matured so much since then. but even in those days i was a fan of venus too, she used to go for her first serves so much more in those days