PDA

View Full Version : "Tennis Illiterate" People in Miami

Derek.
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I'm sure it's like this at every tournament, but some people who came to the Sony Ericsson Open this year did not know much about tennis. :tape:

Every blonde was Sharapova to them. :o

Daniela was practicing and this like British boy goes "Sharapova is still out practicing? :eek:"

Youzhny was on stadium court one night and this guy was like "I can't believe that match is on stadium! I mean Youzhny? He's a nobody! I actually want to watch someone who is somebody!"

So annoying to hear these people. :o

They think every girl they don't know of is from Russia. :lol:

- "Where's that girl from? Who is she?"
- "Oh she's just some Russian."

stevos
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Youzhny would be a nobody to anyone who doesn't follow tennis. Even those that are casual fans, I'd say. :o

Ferosh
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:09 AM
They must have gotten free tickets.

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Why call them dumb? As tennis fans we should be happy people are supporting tennis and the more they watch, the more people they will get to know. When people come to tournaments, even though they don't know who a lot of the players are, it adds more money to the tours and that can only mean bigger and better tournaments. I think it's a positive. Don't be such a tennis snob. That's what turns people off from a particular sport, because they feel so self conscience about asking questions for fear of someone critisizing them.

piercerocks
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I'm sure it's like this at every tournament, but some people who came to the Sony Ericsson Open this year did not know much about tennis. :tape:

Daniela was practicing and this like British boy goes "Sharapova is still out practicing? :eek:"

Youzhny was on stadium court one night and this guy was like "I can't believe that match is on stadium! I mean Youzhny? He's a nobody! I actually want to watch someone who is somebody!"

haha, at US Open we get people calling safina petrova. and i think my dad thought wozniacki was sharapova.
but usually we actually get some cultured fans who know everyone... as long as the tennis is good, we're happy.

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:12 AM
haha, at US Open we get people calling safina petrova. and i think my dad thought wozniacki was sharapova.
but usually we actually get some cultured fans who know everyone... as long as the tennis is good, we're happy.

Wow, I wonder if we ever bumped into each other there. :lol:

stevos
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Why call them dumb? As tennis fans we should be happy people are supporting tennis and the more they watch, the more people they will get to know. When people come to tournaments, even though they don't know who a lot of the players are, it adds more money to the tours and that can only mean bigger and better tournaments. I think it's a positive. Don't be such a tennis snob. That's what turns people off from a particular sport, because they feel so self conscience about asking questions for fear of someone critisizing them.

I agree with this, we are already looked at as country-clubbish enough.
But if they're dumb, they're dumb :p

Wayn77
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:16 AM
If you think the Miami people are dumb you should hear the punters at Wimbledon! :o :o

- another major event where the majority of "real fans" are either priced out or can't get tickets.

Nicolás89
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:19 AM
lol @ miami crowd, but is totally acceptable they dont have to know every top fifty player, im sure some of they still believe kournikova is active though :lol:

but imagine if the wta does a fantastic tournamente here in my country, they know about dulko only cause of gonzalez, every black girl will be a williams :tape:,they barely know about sharapova, they know about hingis but im sure they dont know how she looks like, they only care about atp, but they only know the latins , spaniards, roddick nadal safin and federer,:( (i know that chile will never have a wta tournament, maybe a big challenger, people loves tennis they will always show up for the tournaments either if are playing for the wta or the atp)

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:23 AM

Yeah that happens a lot.
I remember watching Vaidisova when she was 15 and there were men in their late 30s and early 40s saying she was hot.
That's just nasty.

Everyone's Russian.
Everyone's name is mispronounced.
Most people have no idea who any player who isn't a celebrity outside of tennis is.

My best time at a tournament was talking to these two nice ladies about Gigi Fernandez, Lisa Raymond, and Sam Stosur.

It's nice though for me to give info to people who have no idea about tennis.
I don't do it in a condescending way and they seem very grateful to get this information every time.

RatedR Superstar
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:25 AM

thats why a lot of people think masha is really pretty :tape: :lol: :lol:

drake3781
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:29 AM
This happens in all areas of sports and other things. Art exhibitions, playing golf, business meetings, watching any sport, buying a car, raising animals, concerts and theatre, people traveling outside of their hometowns, just to name a few.

Nothing special about Tennis, or about Miami, in this observation.

Derek.
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:41 AM

:lol:

Derek.
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:42 AM

They could at least look at a scoreboard or the order of play to see who it is though and not just call someone who's an established player a nobody.

But it brings money to the sport, yeah.

I do correct people or tell them who someone is if i overhear them. ;)

I am nice. :p

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:51 AM

If you're nice about it no harm no foul. :)

piercerocks
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Wow, I wonder if we ever bumped into each other there. :lol:

probably have, its the only tournament i get to see really but i might check out forest hills or something. the cuban restaurant is great lol!!

Reuchlin
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM
players look different in real life (about ten pounds lighter)

mykarma
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:04 AM

:eek::tape:

Veronique
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:11 AM
At Amelia Island 1 yr, 2005 I believe, some people had no idea who Carolina Sprem was. They were embarrassed when I jumped in and told them who she was. I also got to sit with this middle age couple that was hosting Zvonareva in their house. They got a kick out of hearing that the general consensus on tennis messageboards is that Vera is crazy. LOL

Lucyxx
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Must not have been watching Deportes lately.

sundoulos
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I think you have to be pretty hardcore tennis fan to be able to recognize even the top 25 WTA players. You have to get your info from tennis magazines, internet sites, and TV, which is often only given limited coverage in the later rounds, or only the final is televised. Virtually no doubles coverage. If you're fortunate enough to attend a WTA tournament in your city, then you get to see live play only once a year. I live in Los Angeles, CA so I'm within driving distance to 3 stops of the WTA Tour: Indian Wells, San Diego, and Carson.

Polikarpov
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Well, not all people are as serious in following tennis as, we, people in these forum!

Dan23
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I also noticed a lot of people in Miami like to stand up after good points and wave their arms about or just stand there blocking the camera's view....then sit down before the next point.

thats why a lot of people think masha is really pretty :tape: :lol: :lol:nope...Maria is the reason a few people watch Daniela practice :tape: :lol: ;)

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:39 AM
They could at least look at a scoreboard or the order of play to see who it is though and not just call someone who's an established player a nobody.

But it brings money to the sport, yeah.

:lol: Well, at least you're nice to them. Thanks for changing your subject heading. ;)

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:41 AM

That is so true. When I saw Serena on court for the first time in real life, I was like, where is all this fat talk coming from. And, Daniella...OMG. I'd hate to have seen her in person when people were questioning whether she was anorexic. Maria is really skinny too.

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:42 AM
probably have, its the only tournament i get to see really but i might check out forest hills or something. the cuban restaurant is great lol!!

Was there a cuban restaurant on the grounds at the US Open? I didn't see it.

piercerocks
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Was there a cuban restaurant on the grounds at the US Open? I didn't see it.

its called "mojito", its very nice its near the us open club, you should try it!

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:01 AM
its called "mojito", its very nice its near the us open club, you should try it!

LOL, how did I miss it. I was all over those grounds :lol: Is it near the open bar there? I may have been distracted :o

infinitusone
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:04 AM

stop being so judgemental. it doesn't sound like they were doing anything that was evil. not everyone is an expert fan like you. people like you make me sick. you are not better than them. you are not better than them!!!!! if you can't stand seeing people happy to see some tennis players stay home. you are nothing but a selfrighteous, faultfinder, stuck-up, little b****. don't ever make up thread bashing innocent people. what the hell is wrong with you?
your one of those guys who is always looking in the corner of their eyes looking for fault in other people. the fault is not in other people is in you.

Wayn77
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:06 AM
stop being so judgemental. it doesn't sound like they were doing anything that was evil. not everyone is an expert fan like you. people like you make me sick. you are not better than them. you are not better than them!!!!! if you can't stand seeing people happy to see some tennis players stay home. you are nothing but a selfrighteous, faultfinder, stuck-up, little b****. don't ever make up thread bashing innocent people. what the hell is wrong with you?
your one of those guys who is always looking in the corner of their eyes looking for fault in other people. the fault is not in other people is in you.

Yeah but Daniela was out practising and somebody shouted MARIA!

infinitusone
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:15 AM
i agree with you. this guy that make this thread he is something else.
so he was at maimi watching the matches. if look at his avatar you'll notice there is a flag from a country i don't know from. i'm assuming this guy lives in the u.s. but he is from somewhere else, and yet he is out there criticizing everyone that don't know the players. what a hippocrate. this is a perfect example of how not to be.

starin
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:30 AM
well if tennis as a sport wants to grow as a sport then it needs these "tennis illiterate" people to come watch. Who care if they know nothing about the sport. Did you know much about tennis when you first started watching? Being a snob about it only turns people away, people who might otherwise have enjoyed tennis and picked up a racquet.

tothika
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:35 AM
That is so true. When I saw Serena on court for the first time in real life, I was like, where is all this fat talk coming from. And, Daniella...OMG. I'd hate to have seen her in person when people were questioning whether she was anorexic. Maria is really skinny too.

Maybe it's your culture talkin'

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Maybe it's your culture talkin'

What does that mean? :confused:

starin
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:03 AM

lol... i read that comment too and had no clue as to what he was talking about. As of now I'm thinking he means it as an insult (i think?) that you think Serena is skinny because you're American and American have a skewed idea of what skinny is because of our culture. iono. my spidey sense says troll...so probably better to just ignore it.

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM
lol... i read that comment too and had no clue as to what he was talking about. As of now I'm thinking he means it as an insult (i think?) that you think Serena is skinny because you're American and American have a skewed idea of what skinny is because of our culture. iono. my spidey sense says troll...so probably better to just ignore it.

Yep. :yeah:

darrinbaker00
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM
well if tennis as a sport wants to grow as a sport then it needs these "tennis illiterate" people to come watch. Who care if they know nothing about the sport. Did you know much about tennis when you first started watching? Being a snob about it only turns people away, people who might otherwise have enjoyed tennis and picked up a racquet.
Granted, none of us knew anything about tennis when we first got into it, but for someone to say, "I don't want to see a nobody"? If I were there, I would have educated him or her about Mikhail Youzhny (who is an excellent player, b the way).

tothika
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM

far from a troll..

just prefer educated statements not culturally insensitive ones.

PLP
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Not that I want to defend these idiots but...

From the right angle/distance I could see (maybe) confusing Masha and Dani. They are both tall and statuesque, and could be mistaken for professional models based on body type alone.
I am not sating I would have confused them :lol: or that anyone on this site would, but the general public, not a huge shock.

PLP
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
far from a troll..

just prefer educated statements not culturally insensitive ones.

But what were you trying to say? All Americans are fat??

:armed: :armed: :armed:

wipeout
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:31 AM

I bet this will have happened to Daniela: "Could I have your autograph, Maria?"

:tape:

I do know that some people will sign the name of the person they're mistaken for, though. :lol:

Be kind to the clueless, for they bring money too... ;)

Derek.
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM

:spit:

Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

meyerpl
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I agree with Denise 100%. I'll add that I don't care if the fans sitting around me don't know a tennis ball from a bowling ball......AS LONG AS THEY SHUT THEIR CELL PHONES OFF AND DON'T YAP NON-STOP THROUGHOUT THE MATCH!#!*!

Lunaris
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Is there any reason to call an unknown player russian when you have no clue where she is from? That's simply dumb, if not idiotic.

If you don't know enough about a discussed subject keep your yap shut or say you dunno or are not sure. Admitting that you don't know is far more intelligent and mature than pretending you actually know something when you don't.

:lol: :devil:

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
If you think the Miami people are dumb you should hear the punters at Wimbledon! :o :o

- another major event where the majority of "real fans" are either priced out or can't get tickets.

Henmania! :help:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM
let people say what they want....I'm sure that none of us here knew who everyone was when we first tuned in to tennis...you have to start somewhere

infinitusone
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:28 PM
so what. who got hurt buy it? common man stop it.

infinitusone
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=Derek.;10440048]:spit:

Thanks for the laugh. :lol:[/QUOTE

Serenita
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Good point:worship:

trufanjay
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I live in Miami and I obviously know a lot about tennis. Some of those people were probably new to the tennis world. But that's just a few people though. Not all of us are tennis illiterate. And some of them probably only pay attention to the American players.

schorsch
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
i know the staff was really bad. -_- unbelievable

TaxPower
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:46 PM
You should see people going to Gaz De France: it's pathetic

vejh
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
At the USO every dark skinned girl was Venus or Serena. Every blonde was Sharapova.lol. I was like the genius of the bunch and I was loving it.lol. It's just a sporting event for the majority (and boy do they spend money). Some players looks different; others look the same. Serena looks the same in real life as on the tele. Agassi looks tiny. Momo is so small; really skinny. KC looks normal and nice. JH looks the same size as I do; and she's cute. Roddick has a fat butt; he reminds me of a frat boy. Blake's the same. Nalbandian and Safin looks the same. Fabrice Santoro looks so good! Wow. Very charming handsome guy. Jie Zheng looks normal. Patrick Mcenroe is so much taller than you'd expect. Wow.

The USO rawks:)

Veronique
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I got to touch Serena's left wrist at one tournament and it was so soft, baby soft. LOL

ico4498
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
are tennis fans the biggest snobs in sports?

cellophane
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I don't think thinking someone is stupid for calling every blonde Sharapova is being a snob. :shrug: It's just basic common sense.

moon
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:32 PM
At the USO every dark skinned girl was Venus or Serena. Every blonde was Sharapova.lol. I was like the genius of the bunch and I was loving it.lol. It's just a sporting event for the majority (and boy do they spend money). Some players looks different; others look the same. Serena looks the same in real life as on the tele. Agassi looks tiny. Momo is so small; really skinny. KC looks normal and nice. JH looks the same size as I do; and she's cute. Roddick has a fat butt; he reminds me of a frat boy. Blake's the same. Nalbandian and Safin looks the same. Fabrice Santoro looks so good! Wow. Very charming handsome guy. Jie Zheng looks normal. Patrick Mcenroe is so much taller than you'd expect. Wow.

The USO rawks:)

You think Rena looks the same in real life? She looks smaller to me.
Venus looks taller, lol.

mykarma
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I don't know if the poster was trying to be smart or not. Perhaps he was trying to say that most black people like a littel meat on their bones.

cellophane
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Also, I think it's annoying when people only care about tennis because they saw a Maria commercial and they like her looks or whatnot. :shrug:

darrinbaker00
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Venus looks taller, lol.
No, Venus IS taller.

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Venus looks taller, lol.

She is smaller in real life. Veijh doesn't like Serena, so whatever he can say that is negative. :shrug:

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I don't think thinking someone is stupid for calling every blonde Sharapova is being a snob. :shrug: It's just basic common sense.

Then it's settled. :rolleyes:

vejh
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I've never seen Venus in real life, but this year may be a first. Yes, Serena looks exactly the same. My friend and I were commenting. Pova looks real.lol. (she's so celebrated as a pin-up girl and whatever and I see her it's like: oh..) . Lindsay looks much better in the real flesh. Moya looks hawt. He doesn't look like he belongs on a tennis court. Nadal looks the same. Jelena looks the same, as does Kuzzy.

vejh
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:45 PM
She is smaller in real life. Veijh doesn't like Serena, so whatever he can say that is negative. :shrug:

Don't be silly. I don't like Serena? Where did you see that? And If I don't what does that have to do with the price of fish? Please, grow up.

Denise4925
I don't know if the poster was trying to be smart or not. Perhaps he was trying to say that most black people like a littel meat on their bones.

I guess we'll never know why he said it or what he meant because three people in the thread asked and he never answered. :lol: Just a troll.

darrinbaker00
Also, I think it's annoying when people only care about tennis because they saw a Maria commercial and they like her looks or whatnot. :shrug:
I know quite a few people who started watching tennis because two black chicks were beating the skirts off of everybody they played. Now, those same people know who all the major players are, male and female. Sharapova's looks may get people in the front door these days, but the game as a whole will keep them in the room.

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Don't be silly. I don't like Serena? Where did you see that? And If I don't what does that have to do with the price of fish? Please, grow up.

No, I've never seen you post that, but I'm just going by what you post and the negativity that comes out about her. If you do, no big deal, but if you don't then good on you. :shrug:

BTW, what is silly and immature about a rational assumption based on your posts?? :confused: Good lord, don't be so sensitive and defensive.

A_S
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:46 PM
It may surprise some people, but there is a world out there, not everyone spends their spare time surfing internet tennis forums or staying up till stupid o'clock to watch a match on TV. Some people actually like to play the game but dont really follow the proffesional game in great depth, they can appreciate good tennis and enjoy watching their local tourniment, is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so, should they be vilified for wanting to enjoy some tennis and guessing at players that perhaps they know but infact don't?

How many times have i guessed a golfer or footballer (soccer to you) and got it wrong? 100s and hundreds!

If you think someone saying "must be some russian" or whatever then i think you should work on your satire (if thats the right comedic word) :p

vejh
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I think we all know folks who just watched tennis b/c of Venus and Serena; and still only watch tennis for Venus and Serena. That's all my mom knows about tennis. And my father is so proud of them. But there are those who say of Sharapova: She's hawt.lol. And nothing much about her game.lol. But when it comes to Fed; He's awesome. C'est la vie :)

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:50 PM
It may surprise some people, but there is a world out there, not everyone spends their spare time surfing internet tennis forums or staying up till stupid o'clock to watch a match on TV. Some people actually like to play the game but dont really follow the proffesional game in great depth, they can appreciate good tennis and enjoy watching their local tourniment, is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so, should they be vilified for wanting to enjoy some tennis and guessing at players that perhaps they know but infact don't?

How many times have i guessed a golfer or footballer (soccer to you) and got it wrong? 100s and hundreds!

If you think someone saying "must be some russian" or whatever then i think you should work on your satire (if thats the right comedic word) :p

:yeah:

vejh
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM
No, I've never seen you post that, but I'm just going by what you post and the negativity that comes out about her. If you do, no big deal, but if you don't then good on you. :shrug:

BTW, what is silly and immature about a rational assumption based on your posts?? :confused: Good lord, don't be so sensitive and defensive.

It is silly to try and say my post is less than objective because you assume that I don't like Serena (so silly.). And if I don't like Serena it would be nothing more than in the context of the competition. Why would that matter about how she looks? Of course it's silly. No I am not being sensitive or defensive, far from it. You annoy me with your childish associations with fans and everything else. Can't you separate the game from anything else? Geesh, if I don't kiss Serena's behind then it's negativity. Gimme a break. It's supremely annoying. ugh.

vejh
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I guess tennis is different from most other sports; because if you should go to a golf tourny, basketball match, soccer etc., most do know who is who. At the USo at least, which is a BIIIIIIIIIIG social event in NYC, most only know of celebrity types of players. I find it a bit disturbing that every blonde is Sharapova or every dark skin girl is Venus/Serena. I used to laugh at first, but now...eh.

kiwifan
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM
They must have gotten free tickets.

That's true at most major sporting events.

I was at the Hong Kong Sevens last weekend and most of the people who had the best seats were corporate types who didn't know jack about rugby.

Its the way Sporting Events do business, selling blocks of premium seats to various Corps who used to write them off as a business expense (don't know if you can still do that, but I'm pretty sure you can as long as you aren't a Lobbyist).

The Corps don't give them to the biggest fans in the company, they just throw them at whoever they like or want to impress...

...so then you get people walking around thinking every blonde is Anna K and every black woman is Venus. :lol: :tape:

cellophane
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I know quite a few people who started watching tennis because two black chicks were beating the skirts off of everybody they played. Now, those same people know who all the major players are, male and female. Sharapova's looks may get people in the front door these days, but the game as a whole will keep them in the room.

If they do, great. But I'm sure there are people out there who supposedly like the sport, but really like Venus and Serena or Sharapova's looks.

cellophane
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Then it's settled. :rolleyes:

I couldn't wait for your approval. :worship:

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:04 PM
It is silly to try and say my post is less than objective because you assume that I don't like Serena (so silly.). And if I don't like Serena it would be nothing more than in the context of the competition. Why would that matter about how she looks? Of course it's silly. No I am not being sensitive or defensive, far from it. You annoy me with your childish associations with fans and everything else. Can't you separate the game from anything else? Geesh, if I don't kiss Serena's behind then it's negativity. Gimme a break. It's supremely annoying. ugh.

:lol: No, it's not negativity if you don't kiss her ass. It's negativity when something negative comes out of your mouth. But, hey I don't care if you don't like her, that's your perogative. I don't know why it matters to some what she looks like, but obviously it does. Please don't act like you haven't seen posters associate their dislike for Serena through her looks. I assumed, I guess wrongly, you were one of them.

If my associations with fans makes me childish, then I guess being friendly with people you have something in common with on a tennis message board full of several fanbases is childish. However, for you information I do have friends on this board who are not WS fans. But, I must say your judgment of me sounds not only childish but a bit envious.

If you're not defensive, why are you so up in arms about one comment? Calm down. What does it matter to you what I think? Just because I annoy you personally is not a reason for me to stop posting or change who I am. I suggest you either get over it or put me on ignore. There's no need to insult me.

kiwifan
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM

Most of them have much nicer looking legs in person (that's why actresses starve themselves, the camera really does add pounds - but Hi Def should change that).

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I guess tennis is different from most other sports; because if you should go to a golf tourny, basketball match, soccer etc., most do know who is who. At the USo at least, which is a BIIIIIIIIIIG social event in NYC, most only know of celebrity types of players. I find it a bit disturbing that every blonde is Sharapova or every dark skin girl is Venus/Serena. I used to laugh at first, but now...eh.

Wrong!

Denise4925
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I couldn't wait for your approval. :worship:

Good, now you can breathe. :)

Derek.
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I didn't think this thread would get to 80 posts. :hearts:

Darop.
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Tell me about it! When I go to tournaments I feel like strangling 95% of the people around me, just because they're so ingnorant :o

vejh
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM
:lol: No, it's not negativity if you don't kiss her ass. It's negativity when something negative comes out of your mouth. But, hey I don't care if you don't like her, that's your perogative. I don't know why it matters to some what she looks like, but obviously it does. Please don't act like you haven't seen posters associate their dislike for Serena through her looks. I assumed, I guess wrongly, you were one of them.

If my associations with fans makes me childish, then I guess being friendly with people you have something in common with on a tennis message board full of several fanbases is childish. However, for you information I do have friends on this board who are not WS fans. But, I must say your judgment of me sounds not only childish but a bit envious.

If you're not defensive, why are you so up in arms about one comment? Calm down. What does it matter to you what I think? Just because I annoy you personally is not a reason for me to stop posting or change who I am. I suggest you either get over it or put me on ignore. There's no need to insult me.

You know, you are one piece of work!! First you said I DON'T like Serena so my opinion of how she looks is basically skewed (paraphrasing here). Then you say you just assume I don't like her because of what some other posters do? Wha? What does that have to do with me and what I said? I said she looks the same to me, and you put a negative spin on that, isn't that you coming in all defensive? Geez I was talking about tennis players looks in real life compared to tv. I never said I don't like her, I never said anything negative about her looks.

Let me say it again, I am not defensive, I am just annoyed by your tangential thinking. Neither am I insulting you. What? You say you can tell I don't like Serena from my negativity and then you say you are assuming. Don't you think it is insulting to tell somebody that because of their negativity towards Serena their opinion is all but a lie?

It's like I'm watching you weave a whole story about me based on nothing, and then act like a victim.lol

You're one piece of work. lol.

A_S
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Tell me about it! When I go to tournaments I feel like strangling 95% of the people around me, just because they're so ingnorant :o

perhaps they aren't the ignorant ones? :shrug: Just because someone doesnt know much about tennis, does it really matter? who cares? as long as everyone is enjoying the action.

Denise4925
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:07 AM
You know, you are one piece of work!! First you said I DON'T like Serena so my opinion of how she looks is basically skewed (paraphrasing here). Then you say you just assume I don't like her because of what some other posters do? Wha? What does that have to do with me and what I said? I said she looks the same to me, and you put a negative spin on that, isn't that you coming in all defensive? Geez I was talking about tennis players looks in real life compared to tv. I never said I don't like her, I never said anything negative about her looks.

Let me say it again, I am not defensive, I am just annoyed by your tangential thinking. Neither am I insulting you. What? You say you can tell I don't like Serena from my negativity and then you say you are assuming. Don't you think it is insulting to tell somebody that because of their negativity towards Serena their opinion is all but a lie?

It's like I'm watching you weave a whole story about me based on nothing, and then act like a victim.lol

You're one piece of work. lol.

More ad hominem attacks. I'm a piece of work, huh?

You say here that even if you didn't like Serena it would be in the "context of competition", yet in another thread, you attacked her and her father personally about her statement regarding her hope for the match against Justine to be a good and honest match. How is that negativity toward her in the context of competition, especially since you made a comment about her personally?

Based on those posts and other negative posts you've made about Serena, I assumed that you did not like her. Excuse me, if that was an incorrect assumption, but I don't think it was offbase for me to assume that.

Then when I tried to explain why I assumed that your judgment of her looks was biased based on your past negativity toward her, and admitted that I was wrong in that assumption, you accuse me of being defensive and going off on tangents.

Also, you can't assume that you're not insulting me, if you're not in the receiving end of the comment. You don't know whether I'm insulted or not and how dare you make that judgment. If I said you were an idiot, and you felt insulted, I can't turn around and say you weren't insulted. Can you honestly say that your intention was not to insult me by saying that I'm childish, silly and I annoy you?

Lastly, I didn't say you lied, I insinuated that your judgment of her looks was skewed by your bias against her. And, I'm far from a victim. I can take care of myself, and in doing so, I will not allow you to insult me without calling you on it. Again, chill out. It's not that big of a deal.

cellophane
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:15 AM
All of this because he said "Serena looks the same in real life as she does on TV" :tape: That was somehow a veiled insult??????????? :haha:Denise Drama at its best. :hearts:

Denise4925
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:19 AM
All of this because he said "Serena looks the same in real life as she does on TV" :tape: That was somehow a veiled insult??????????? :haha:

Now, here you go. :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I didn't think this thread would get to 80 posts. :hearts:

LMAO!

meyerpl
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:40 AM
All of this because he said "Serena looks the same in real life as she does on TV" :tape: That was somehow a veiled insult??????????? :haha:Denise Drama at its best. :hearts:

A slightly interesting story: I was in Miami with my father (77 yrs-old), who likes Serena but thinks she looks ridiculous on-court with the wild outfits and all the jewelry. We watched Serena practicing one morning when she was wearing basic work-out clothes. After we walked away, I commented, "She looks great, doesn't she?" My dad responded, "Who?" I said, "Serena!" He didn't even recognize her; he thought she was just a "very attractive black woman" with whom he was unfamiliar!

go hingis
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I think a big reason people don't know much is because the WTA TV coverage has been dying slowly and was never on as much as other sports. Most countries only show the grandslams on free to air and they consistantly show the top players.

mykarma
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:43 AM
perhaps they aren't the ignorant ones? :shrug: Just because someone doesnt know much about tennis, does it really matter? who cares? as long as everyone is enjoying the action.
:worship:

cellophane
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:47 AM
A slightly interesting story: I was in Miami with my father (77 yrs-old), who likes Serena but thinks she looks ridiculous on-court with the wild outfits and all the jewelry. We watched Serena practicing one morning when she was wearing basic work-out clothes. After we walked away, I commented, "She looks great, doesn't she?" My dad responded, "Who?" I said, "Serena!" He didn't even recognize her; he thought she was just a "very attractive black woman" with whom he was unfamiliar!

I guess Serena doesn't wear the wild outfits in practice then. ;)

moon
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I think a big reason people don't know much is because the WTA TV coverage has been dying slowly and was never on as much as other sports. Most countries only show the grandslams on free to air and they consistantly show the top players.

I think this is the main reason. They only show certain players on tv here, so how are the "general public" gonna know who Youzny is, if they never show him on tv here? If you're not Federer, Nadal or an american player, you ain't gettin much airtime in the good ole USA.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:33 AM
..you have to start somewhere[/I][/B]

Tru dat!:worship:

stevos
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Is there any reason to call an unknown player russian when you have no clue where she is from? That's simply dumb, if not idiotic.

If you don't know enough about a discussed subject keep your yap shut or say you dunno or are not sure. Admitting that you don't know is far more intelligent and mature than pretending you actually know something when you don't.

This happens in every sport though. Every Raptors game I go to, there's some idiot near me claiming to know everything about certain stuff, know what's going on, but they are way off and just trying to impress the hot chick sitting with them.

It's pretty hilarious to listen to. :lol:

Dexter
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Yeah that happens a lot.
I remember watching Vaidisova when she was 15 and there were men in their late 30s and early 40s saying she was hot.
That's just nasty.

Everyone's Russian.
Everyone's name is mispronounced.
Most people have no idea who any player who isn't a celebrity outside of tennis is.

My best time at a tournament was talking to these two nice ladies about Gigi Fernandez, Lisa Raymond, and Sam Stosur.

It's nice though for me to give info to people who have no idea about tennis.
I don't do it in a condescending way and they seem very grateful to get this information every time.How can people pronounce players' names in a right way when almost all commentators mispronounce them. :shrug: :o I'm yet to hear british commentators pronouncing Maria's surname correctly. :o

Nicolás89
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:47 AM
and what do you think of people who thinks they know everything about tennis, my mom for instance keep telling me that venus is a better a more complete player and that has more slam titles than serena, and keep asking me for jennifers results and i already told her that jen is injured and probably wont comeback, and for some reason she thinks she knows the same that i know, and if she knows something its for me :scratch: my mom:lol: i adore her though

cellophane
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:48 AM
How can people pronounce name in a right way when almost all commentators mispronounce them. :o I'm yet to hear british commentators pronouncing Maria's surname correctly. :o

Which Maria? :) If it's Sharapova, then I remember she actually insisted in a press conference to be called Sharapova.

stevos
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I'd say golf fans are the most snobbish (to answer an earlier question in the thread).

Nicolás89
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Which Maria? :) If it's Sharapova, then I remember she actually insisted in a press conference to be called Sharapova.

i dont get your point

cellophane
Apr 5th, 2007, 03:52 AM
i dont get your point

My point is that she reinforced the incorrect pronunciation of her last name. ;) Not that it would have necessarily had an impact if she hadn't.

Black Mamba.
Apr 5th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Let them be. How is their ignorance of the game impacting you?