PDA

View Full Version : Should Serena use the one handed backhand more?

henree
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Its very well known that Serena knows hot to hit a one handed backhand. She exclusively warms up with that particular shot before her matches. Should she use it during actual matches? I know she has hit a one hander in actual competition a few times before. I remember her hitting a one handed backhand down the line against Dementieva at Miami in the finals of 2004. I think Serena's one weakness is being pressured on her backhand side. Hitting hard and deep to Serena's backhand corner has put Serena off balance alot. During the final against Justine Serena wasn't dealing with the backhand to backhand crosscourt rallies well at all. She was spraying those backhands alot. I really think she should slice more when she is on the defensive on the backhand side. When in trouble she should slice the ball alot more. Her backhand slice is a very underrated shot in my opinion.

In The Zone
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
:angel: Every shot of Serena's is lethal and one of the best. However, Serena's twohanded backhand is one of the best on tour. And since she has won 8 grand slams playing the way she has, I don't see the reason to fix something that isn't broken. In fact, Serena's problems right now are not technical but merely rust, movement, and her fitness. Nothing with her game. Let the clay begin.

starin
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:30 AM
this may be stupid but is there a particular reason why Serena warms up with the one handed back hand?

Orion
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:32 AM
She plays very well with two, and implements the one hander when she needs to. I see no reason to change it.

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Nope.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Nope.
She had two absolute thuds at net with the one handed backhand, she didn't change her grip and tried a drop volley on the wrong grip.
She's tried aggressive one handed backhand slices but they haven't come at the right time.
If she's going to do that she might as well let it go because it will do more harm than good.

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Nope.
She had two absolute thuds at net with the one handed backhand, she didn't change her grip and tried a drop volley on the wrong grip.
She's tried aggressive one handed backhand slices but they haven't come at the right time.
If she's going to do that she might as well let it go because it will do more harm than good.

He's not talking about a volley or slice. Just your regular one-handed backhand.

Wannabeknowitall
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:39 AM
He's not talking about a volley or slice. Just your regular one-handed backhand.

Eww... Why? That's even worse.
Serena's two handed backhand has been the consistent shot throughout her career of her groundstrokes.
Why mess with a great thing.

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Eww... Why? That's even worse.
Serena's two handed backhand has been the consistent shot throughout her career of her groundstrokes.
Why mess with a great thing.

Exactly :lol:

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Its very well known that Serena knows hot to hit a one handed backhand. She exclusively warms up with that particular shot before her matches. Should she use it during actual matches? I know she has hit a one hander in actual competition a few times before. I remember her hitting a one handed backhand down the line against Dementieva at Miami in the finals of 2004. I think Serena's one weakness is being pressured on her backhand side. Hitting hard and deep to Serena's backhand corner has put Serena off balance alot. During the final against Justine Serena wasn't dealing with the backhand to backhand crosscourt rallies well at all. She was spraying those backhands alot. I really think she should slice more when she is on the defensive on the backhand side. When in trouble she should slice the ball alot more. Her backhand slice is a very underrated shot in my opinion.
1. Learning to effectively and technically hit a one-handed backhand mid-career when you have historically had a great two-handed backhand is senseless, and begging for trouble, IMO.

2. Serena's two-handed backhand "issues" from the Miami finals (errors, hitting the ball late, spraying shots) has little do with her backhand, rather, the little extra footspeed it takes for any two-handed backhand player to get in a position to hit a technically effective shot. Serena seemed to be late getting to the ball, which caused the errors, IMO.

Improved lateral footspeed should fix the issue.

brent-o
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Have any past champions or even players close to the top changed their backhand mid-career and had success with it? Just wondering.

Lulu.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:51 AM
No.

John.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Black Mamba.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Why? She's already a problem on the backhand so why change what you're doing.

Mother_Marjorie
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Have any past champions or even players close to the top changed their backhand mid-career and had success with it? Just wondering.
Well, Mats Wilander is the only player that I recall that effectively added the dimension of a one-handed backhand to his arsenal. The following year, he won 3/4 grand slam singles events.

However, given the option, I believe that it is easier for a two-handed player to learn a one-handed backhand, vs a one-handed player to learn a two-handed backhand.

The two-handed backhand wasn't the "norm" in professional tennis until the generation of Chris Evert and Jimmy Connors upped its popularity in the 1970's.

I always felt that one-handed backhand players had an advantage returning service on the ad-court out wide, and getting to sharply angled shots hit to their backhand because they generally don't have to take as many steps to get to the ball. It takes more footwork on the baseline if you are a two-handed backhander.

Another thing that I feel hinders two-handed players is the backhand volley. Its simply not natural for a two-handed backhander to be a great volleyer at the net having to take their hand off the racquet when hitting a backhand volley. That's not to say it can't happen, but it takes a lot more work than what the one-handers have to put in.

The Daviator
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Absolutely not, she has a great backhand...

sgsox
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:07 AM
lol serenas backhand is awesome she doesnt need a onehander

and the problem in the miami final wasnt her backhand or the technique having to do w/ her backhand. her prob was her movement to the ball and her footwork.

btw did she really hit a onehanded backhand down the line winner against dementiva in the miami 04 final??? thats awesome lol

i saw hingis do it against venus in the 2000 wimbly quarters

sundoulos
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Hummm, something to think about. Ok, done thinking. The answer is NO.

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:14 AM
lol serenas backhand is awesome she doesnt need a onehander

and the problem in the miami final wasnt her backhand or the technique having to do w/ her backhand. her prob was her movement to the ball and her footwork.

btw did she really hit a onehanded backhand down the line winner against dementiva in the miami 04 final??? thats awesome lol

i saw hingis do it against venus in the 2000 wimbly quarters

Dunno about the Dementieva match, but she definitely did it vs Kirilenko at L.A last year. She was on the run to her backhand side and managed to hit one down the line :bowdown:

Stamp Paid
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I think she can develop her slice a bit more on both sides. Some of the slices she hits are just :wazzup: and just get knocked off.

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I think she can develop her slice a bit more on both sides. Some of the slices she hits are just :wazzup: and just get knocked off.

But sometimes she gets lucky and it turns into a drop shot :rolls:

cellophane
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM
The slices in the final were :tape: but that dropshot she hit at 2-0 in the 3rd was GREAT.

bobcat
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Obviously Serena shouldn't completely change her game, but there are times when it's better to hit a good slice backhand than a hard drive, particularly when you are out of position. So I do think Serena should continue to work on that shot and implement it when appropriate.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:48 AM
In warm ups Serena only uses it when her opponent is at net hitting vollies, I've never seen Serena warming up with her opponent hitting from the baseline with a one hander.

hectopascal
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:00 AM

I'm sure Pete Sampras changed from a two-handed backhand to a one hander, though it was before he started winning GS's.

brickhousesupporter
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:17 AM
If I am not mistaken Serena said she developed her forehand and a one handed backhand when she broke her left arm when she was younger.

backhanddtl4
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:21 AM
she just needs to move, and her strokes will be fine...in the miami final she was so flat footed during most of it. she warms up with a 1 hander because she does what she wants...

Dunlop1
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:24 AM

Her backhand slice sucks. As does Venus's. There isn't nearly enough underspin on the ball and she 'cuts' down the ball too much producing a floaty ball that will pop up after the bounce. This type of slice is VERY attackable.

Her topspin 1 hander looked very solid the times I've seen her hit it.
Serena with a 1 handed backhand :drool: She would automatically become my fave player.

trufanjay
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Well, Mats Wilander is the only player that I recall that effectively added the dimension of a one-handed backhand to his arsenal. The following year, he won 3/4 grand slam singles events.

However, given the option, I believe that it is easier for a two-handed player to learn a one-handed backhand, vs a one-handed player to learn a two-handed backhand.

The two-handed backhand wasn't the "norm" in professional tennis until the generation of Chris Evert and Jimmy Connors upped its popularity in the 1970's.

I always felt that one-handed backhand players had an advantage returning service on the ad-court out wide, and getting to sharply angled shots hit to their backhand because they generally don't have to take as many steps to get to the ball. It takes more footwork on the baseline if you are a two-handed backhander.

Another thing that I feel hinders two-handed players is the backhand volley. Its simply not natural for a two-handed backhander to be a great volleyer at the net having to take their hand off the racquet when hitting a backhand volley. That's not to say it can't happen, but it takes a lot more work than what the one-handers have to put in.
That's true. One great example I think is Martina Hingis who has great volleys on both sides and sometimes Venus. But Venus' backhand stab volleys are better than her drop volleys. And of course Venus and Martina have two handers. Also Sugiyama and a few others.

tommyk75
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Interesting post. I noticed Serena warming up with the one-handed drive before the Australian Open finals, and I basically thought, "Huh? Is she going to do that in the match?"

The only player I can think of who went back and forth between the two-handed drive and the one-handed drive is the spunky original, Natasha Zvereva. She became a top player with the two-hander which was considered her best shot, and then at certain periods during the 90's, she developed a one-handed topspin shot as well. I remember watching Zvereva beat Mary Pierce at Amelia Island one year, and she was drawing Pierce into the net with drop shots and then hitting one-handed topspin passing shots time and time again. It was just bizarre... The next time I saw her on TV, she was hitting the two-hander again, but it didn't seem to be as potent as it once was, maybe because she kept going back and forth between the two shots.

I must say, the transition must be really difficult. I used to play with a one-hander for a long while, and I changed to a two-hander about a year ago, and it just feels so different. With the one-hander, the right arm does all the work, but with the two-hander, it's really the left arm and left wrist that determines where the ball is going to go. Just really different.

Dementieva_Dude
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM
If I was
a) an 8 time Major winner
b) currently beating the best players on the WTA
c) considered one of the all-time greatest players

I wouldn't even think of changing my backhand. I'd get back in top shape, and I'd continue to beat the stuffing out of my opponents :drool:

Brαm
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I've never seen Serena hit a one-handed backhand :scratch: :confused: :confused:

RJWCapriati
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Um No

Kunal
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM
yea...i dont get why she would warm up with a one handed backhand and then use a two handed backhand during the match...does not make much sense

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
No. Of course not.

Xcourt backhand to backhand rallies are going to be a problem for anyone- including Serena- if the person on the other side of the net is Justine Henin. Justine's backhand is AMAZING when it's on, heavy, pacey and precise. And believe me, it pains me to admit it.

The Dawntreader
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:42 AM
She could use it when she's pushed out-wide a bit more. the one-hander gives you more extension and reach than the two-hander when you're on the run:)