PDA

View Full Version : Best Match Of The Year (So Far)?

stevos
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Just wanted to get the general consensus on this, some people might find it easy.

There are tons of matches that were pretty good this year, but I tried to pick the best quality, most dramatic, and most significant matches of the year.

(btw I know there already was a thread but I needed to change poll options...)

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
K. Clijsters def J. Jankovic 46 76 64 (Sydney)
S. Williams def M. Sharapova 61 62 (Melbourne)
J. Henin def N. Petrova 76 76 (Miami)
S. Williams def J. Henin 06 75 63 (Miami)

EDIT: Also A. Mauresmo def K. Clijsters 76 64 (Antwerp)

tennisbuddy12
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
AO 3r Daniela def. Ashley
AO QF Serena def. Shahar
Miami F Serena def. Justine

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
S. Williams def M. Sharapova 61 62 (Melbourne)
J. Henin def N. Petrova 76 76 (Miami)

EDIT: Also A. Mauresmo def K. Clijsters 76 64 (Antwerp)

Out of all the matches, I'll pick S. Williams def Henin :p :)

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Why isn't there Janković - Hingis from Sydney??? I mean you've placed Serena - Maria 6-1 6-1 :rolleyes: :spit: Great match should mean that both of the players played amazing tennis... And there is Pin - Sharapova match there as well. :haha: :haha: Have you even seen that match??? :shrug:

stevos
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Why isn't there Janković - Hingis from Sydney??? I mean you've placed Serena - Maria 6-1 6-1 :rolleyes: :spit: Great match should mean that both of the players played amazing tennis... And there is Pin - Sharapova match there as well. :haha: :haha: Have you even seen that match??? :shrug:

Of course I've seen that match, still many people would say that was the best match.

Serena played the best tennis I've ever seen her play, or any woman play in the last couple years. Sharapova didn't play that bad. Just her serve was off.

It's all subjective, idiot. There were plenty of other ones I could have put on there. I saw Jelena-Martina, it was a quarterfinal at a tier 2, with some good tennis :weirdo:

Craigy
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM

Not necessarily.
--
Golovin def. Schnyder 6-7 7-6 6-2. Tati saved 5 match points :drool:

stevos
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Not necessarily.
--

That was a good one too :drool:

I just didn't have room, and it doesn't speak "Match of the year" to me. It didn't have enough importance. Great for Tati though :yeah:

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Not necessarily.
--

Tati :bounce: :drool:

AnywhereButHome
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Serena def. Henin

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Of course I've seen that match, still many people would say that was the best match.

Serena played the best tennis I've ever seen her play, or any woman play in the last couple years. Sharapova didn't play that well.

It's all subjective, idiot. There were plenty of other ones I could have put on there. I saw Jelena-Martina, it was a quarterfinal at a tier 2, with some good tennis :weirdo:

So what if it was QF at Tier II??? Does that determines the match quality? :rolleyes: Serena played AMAZING, Sharapova wasnt playing "didn't play that well" she was :weirdo:

Pin - Sharapova match was just :o :o :o Tennis quality was soooooooo loooooow!!! And therefor you can't have that match up there, you, I reply, IDIOT...

cellophane
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Anyway, it's obvious that most people will vote for Serena-Henin. :shrug: If you'd made it a "best quality match", it would be more interesting.

stevos
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Anyway, it's obvious that most people will vote for Serena-Henin. :shrug: If you'd made it a "best quality match", it would be more interesting.

not really that interesting probably.

Craigy
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
So what if it was QF at Tier II??? Does that determines the match quality? :rolleyes: Serena played AMAZING, Sharapova wasnt playing "didn't play that well" she was :weirdo:

Pin - Sharapova match was just :o :o :o Tennis quality was soooooooo loooooow!!! And therefor you can't have that match up there, you, I reply, IDIOT...

For a match to be classified as a 'great' one, it doesn't have to have a high standard of play. It could be that it had a lot of drama, which it did...because who thought Maria would go to 8-6 vs Pin ;)

Viktymise
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Im not typing my list out again :o :p

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Miami Final :worship:

Set 1: Great tennis from JH
Set 2: Great fighting from SW
Set 3: Great tennis and fighting from BOTH!

0-6 5-5 30-0 :drool:
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedimages/NNTP_Photos/29661_Sony_Ericsson_Open_Tennis.sff.jpg

Brooklyn90
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Oh and the AO Final was 6-1 6-2 not 6-1 6-1 that was Miami :p

Natalicious
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
1. amelie def. kim - antwerp
2. serena def. juju - miami
3. kim def. jelena - sydney

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:33 PM
1. amelie def. kim - antwerp
2. serena def. juju - miami
3. kim def. jelena - sydney

Yay, finally someone else called this match out! - full of drama and emotion. Amelie trying to win the Diamond Racket and Kim possibly playing her last match in Belgium. Nice match and good to see great sportmanship at the end from both Amelie and Kim :)

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:33 PM
Miami Final :worship:

Set 1: Great tennis from JH
Set 2: Great fighting from SW
Set 3: Great tennis and fighting from BOTH!

0-6 5-5 30-0 :drool:
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedimages/NNTP_Photos/29661_Sony_Ericsson_Open_Tennis.sff.jpg

I agree :worship: :worship: :worship:

And that pic is just amazing :D :lol: Serena is crazy :D :bounce:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
For a match to be classified as a 'great' one, it doesn't have to have a high standard of play. It could be that it had a lot of drama, which it did...because who thought Maria would go to 8-6 vs Pin ;)

Still, I would never ever say that is a best match of the year. I don't care ig it was 0-6 0-5 to Pin, quality of tennis to me is very improntant :shrug:

Craigy
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Still, I would never ever say that is a best match of the year. I don't care ig it was 0-6 0-5 to Pin, quality of tennis to me is very improntant :shrug:

I prefer drama ;)

The Daviator
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
I really enjoyed Serena def. Jankovic 6-3 6-2 in Australia :drool: But I haven't seen many matches so :lol:

cellophane
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
not really that interesting probably.

Okay. :shrug: Well, in this poll, Henin-Serena will get the most votes, Serena-Maria would get the second most votes, simply because those were high profile matches. Totally predicatble. I have no clue what is interesting about the second match unless you are a Serena fan. There was no drama or quality. It was over in an instant. And, yeah I do think a good match should feature more than a great performance by one playr. Of course you are free to make whatever poll you like... but like I said, it's totally predictable what people are going to vote for.

Viktymise
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
I prefer drama ;)

Drama with grunting mixed into the equation, now thats :drool:

Viktymise
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Not necessarily.
--

Her BH DTL on the 3rd one was out :p

Rod the Bama
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
Serena vs. Shahar in the Aussie Open.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
I prefer drama ;)

So that means you would pay more money to see Marion Bartoli UE-ing herself into 0-6 0-5 against Domachowska, and then Domachowska doing the same to lose the match 6-0 6-0 5-7 0-6, then to see Serena defeating Justine 6-3 6-3 with some amazing winners from both sides??? :lol: :p

jay745
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
serina vs peer in ao was the best match this year by far

stevos
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
So that means you would pay more money to see Marion Bartoli UE-ing herself into 0-6 0-5 against Domachowska, and then Domachowska doing the same to lose the match 6-0 6-0 5-7 0-6, then to see Serena defeating Justine 6-3 6-3 with some amazing winners from both sides??? :lol: :p

God you are an idiot. That's not drama, thats just garbage.

The Serena-Justine final, in the last set it is very high quality (I'm watching it right now). AND great drama.

That trumps Justine-Nadia any day for me. Plus it's the second biggest match of the year.

amirhendel
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Peer - Serena.... i was so anxious...

John.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I enjoyed the drama of Serena V Petrova in Australia, Sharapova V Zvonareva in IW, and the Miami final

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Her BH DTL on the 3rd one was out :p

What backhand? :angel:

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Well it would be quite dramatic seeing them play 4 sets :p
But any Serena vs Justine match is dramatic. Well you could any Serena match is dramatic :rolls:

RenaSlam.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Serena-Henin

stevos
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Just as I expected, Serena-Justine dominating.
Cool.

Stamp Paid
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:18 AM
The Miami Final

dangerjenny
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Serena def Henin

spartanfan
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Serena def. Maria 6-1,6-2 just because NOBODY could have predicited that total domination when their prior three matches were so full of drama and was for so many people their dream AO matchup. And Serena put on such a clinical that day that most people had never withnessed Serena do before.

LindsayRulz
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Miami and AO finals :drool:

Serena!
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:23 AM
i really likd the miami final...even though serena played like crap in the first set

Billabong
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:31 AM
The Sydney final and the Miami final:D

piercerocks
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:38 AM
sydney and miami final were very entertaining.. so was maria/pin at AO

serenafann
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Serena beats Henin got my vote.

Nicolás89
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:55 AM
i have so many best matches in so many and differents criteria

high quality: juju def. nadia great display from both great volleys great baseline game this match had everything

the most dramatic: serena def. juju miami final, from playing bad to saved 2 match points and win the match :worship:

the most emotional: momo def. kim atwerp final, kim saying goodbye to atwerp, (ironically the tournament probably wont survive in proximus years)

top players, most lopsided: either ao final or miami 4th round between serena and maria, i choose the ao final cause was more important

the ugliest match: masha def. pin masha almost losing to pin, horrible :tape:

austennis
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:56 AM
i went for Clijster vs Jankovic as it was the best i have seen and at times you could not tell who was going to win.. and both women were aon fire the whole time

RJWCapriati
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Williams/Henin

safinfans629
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:07 AM
i picked clijsters vs jankovic in sydney,they both played very well

frontier
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:14 AM
the beat down of jankovic by serena was spectacular,because of the hype that was around the match ,everyone assumed serena was going to be humiliated and was supposed to lose to the hottest girl on tour at the time.
jankovic was reduced to a spectator specially after she had bragged that she had the formula to beating serena.
wow that was sweet!!

Wayn77
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Clijsters v Jankovic (Sydney)
Schnyder v Stosur (AO)
Petrova v Safarova (Paris)
Petrova v Mauresmo (Paris)
Safarova v Henin (Paris)
Mauresmo v Clijsters (Antwerp)
Mauresmo v Henin (Desert)
Hantuchova v Kuznetsova (IW)
Petrova v Henin (Miami)
Henin v Williams (Miami)

Hardiansf
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Serena def Justine Miami Final
Serena def Maria AO Final

Drama, high quality, TOP and ELITE Players, speculations, you name it!

Hardiansf
Apr 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Serena def Justine Miami Final
Serena def Maria AO Final

Drama, high quality, TOP and ELITE Players, speculations, you name it!

serena_fan
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:19 AM
MIA F: Serena Williams def. Justine Henin - 0-6 7-5 6-3

Brαm
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Kim Clijsters def. Jelena Jankovic 4-6 7-6 6-4 :rocker:

F-R-E-A-K
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM
SYD F: Kim Clijsters def. Jelena Jankovic 4-6 7-6 6-4 :worship:
MIA F: Serena Williams def. Justine Henin - 0-6 7-5 6-3

paranr
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Just wanted to get the general consensus on this, some people might find it easy.

There are tons of matches that were pretty good this year, but I tried to pick the best quality, most dramatic, and most significant matches of the year.

(btw I know there already was a thread but I needed to change poll options...)

some of your choices are redicilous , for example , you chose to put from IW Hantucuova-Kuznetsova and not Peer-Hantuchova which went all the way:rolleyes:

stefi62
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Miami's finals

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Serena def Justine 0-6 7-5 6-3. This was a great great match. The two greatest recent champions going at it after FOUR years. Drama, brilliant shots, fighting spirit...it had it all.

Demska
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Miami Final, IW Final and Sydney Final.

PLP
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM
hmmm...Surprised nobody has mentioned:

Hanutchova def. Hingis 1-6 6-4 6-4. (1/4's Doha)

Dani made such a remarkable comeback in the 2nd and was just ripping it. Martina started that match so well too. It had everything! (though it made me cry and scream and throw things).

:worship:

Ballbasher
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Serena and Justine in Miami!
Petrova and Mauresmo in Paris!

paranr
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Peer-Serena AO quarters

Peer-Hantuchova - IW quarters:hearts:

Mina Vagante
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:52 AM
miami final easily

Dasha_
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Serena - Sharapova

Great tennis from Serena, she really showed the world who is she, and where is Sharapova with her game

kiwifan
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Well the most talked about match was the Aussie Open final...

...since for me only the slams matter, there can't be a better match until after the other slams have been played :shrug:...

...somehow I think they'll still be talking about this one since its where Serena's new dominance began. :)

dorotek23
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM
For me that match was the best

And really good was this match

shirley
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Serena Williams def. Maria Sharapova 6-1 6-1

HenryMag.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Masha def. Pin 6-3 4-6 9-7

I voted Sidney final, because I really wanted to see Jankovic winning...

In Miami, none of my favourite players played, but it was a awesome match...

Hashim.
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM
AUS 3R: Serena Williams def. Nadia Petrova 1-6 7-5 6-3
this one was pathetic..:o
for me this match was the best
K. Clijsters def J. Jankovic 46 76 64 (Sydney):yeah:

then:
didn't find the score satisfying..my opinion...