PDA

View Full Version : Serena Enters Cincinnati Tournament

Marcell
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Serena Williams returning for '07 Women's Open

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Eight-time Grand Slam and recent Australian Open and Miami champion Serena Williams is expected to appear for a second consecutive year at the Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open in Mason, the tournament announced Tuesday afternoon.

"I had a great experience in Cincinnati last summer, and I'm really looking forward to returning in hopes of winning the title," Williams said in a release. "The facility there is great and the fans are very enthusiastic, so I'm looking forward to coming back."

Williams, who is ranked No. 11, reached the Women's Open semifinals in 2006 in her first tournament appearance after a six-month absence from the WTA Tour. Her first-round match against former French Open champ Ana Myskina drew nearly 6,000 fans, the largest crowd ever to see a women's professional tennis match in Cincinnati history.

"Serena returning is a real endorsement for women's professional tennis in Cincinnati, and we're sure our fans will be very excited to see her," tournament director Bruce Flory said. "She played unbelievable tennis in winning the Australian Open in January and Miami last month. We are excited that she's included Cincinnati in her schedule this summer."

The main draw of the 2007 Women's Open will be held July 16-22 at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.

http://www.pulsejournal.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/2007/04/03/pj040307williams.html

Craigy
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
:eek: She must really want more titles :lol:

Lulu.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
:eek: I didnt think she'd play there this year

Mina Vagante
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
:bounce:

John.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
She is eager. Great to see :bounce:

Mina Vagante
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
:lol: where she has her first points to defend after AO

SJW
Good choice IMO. I hope she plays.

tennisIlove09
The sisters usually return where they enjoyed themselves. Serena must have really had a good time last year. I am sure the crowd was kind to her.

woosey
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM
can't understand why she'd go there. it's a tier III tournament.

i hope she's planning on going to l.a. for the jpmorgan chase open this summer.

ptkten
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Soon it's going to be upgraded according to the WTA Roadmap so I think the WTA might be pressuring top players to play there this year to start getting buzz up for the tournament for future years.

The Daviator
Wow, these entries are coming thick and fast :lol: Good news though :yeah:

Craigy
can't understand why she'd go there. it's a tier III tournament.

She will go to L.A. She did last year...

RenaSlam.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
She's playing well and wants these titles.

Greedy Serena :)

pierce0415
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Soon it's going to be upgraded according to the WTA Roadmap so I think the WTA might be pressuring top players to play there this year to start getting buzz up for the tournament for future years.

EXACTLY

woosey
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
She will go to L.A. She did last year...

i'll be buying my tickets if they announce it. :bounce:

Craigy
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
i'll be buying my tickets if they announce it. :bounce:

Lucky you :p

Brooklyn90
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM
wow Great News!!!

Wtrain
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
This time win the title Serena!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

Me too. Went with my kids and family friends last year. It was a hoot, and clearly folks in Los Angeles consider this her "home" tournament, being that its played a short distance from Compton (in Carson). I will be there this year again if Serena plays!!

RJWCapriati
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Definitely going to Ohio now

Mina Vagante
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
Definitely going to Ohio now

:p

Seenus
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
she deserves a good appearance fee

Orion
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM
So her current schedule contains:

Hobart
Australian Open
Miami
Charleston
Berlin
Rome
French Open
Wimbledon
Cincinnati
[LA?]
US Open

any others for sure?

Mina Vagante
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
YEC:p

hotandspicey
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
YEC:p

:devil: :worship: :bounce:

miranda_lou
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
The sisters usually return where they enjoyed themselves. Serena must have really had a good time last year. I am sure the crowd was kind to her.

Serena was treated very well last year. Girlfriend was the talk of the town.:hearts: We were thrilled to have her and disappointed when she didn't make the final. She said she had fun and wanted to come back and she will. I'm really happy she will be back. I'm sure it will be a sell out again.

Williams-forever
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
This is actually no surprise. Serena said she would return last year, just after the tournament ended...

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Serena :yeah: :eek: Win the title :rocker:

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
thats a nice surprise. don't worry about her missing los angeles. shes said thats one of her all time favorite events to play.

Bijoux0021
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Serena was treated very well last year. Girlfriend was the talk of the town.:hearts: We were thrilled to have her and disappointed when she didn't make the final. She said she had fun and wanted to come back and she will. I'm really happy she will be back. I'm sure it will be a sell out again.
This is great to hear.

It seems like Serena wants to go back and take care of some unfinished business, which is to win the title. But most importantly, she was so well received and appreciated that she wants to show her own appreciation by going back.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
I LOVE IT! great news!

Kunal
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
im digging this SERENAAA!!!

frenchie
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Strange choice but I think she knows what she does!

Great to see such a motivated Serena
She will rule this year

stevos
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
Serena :D Good choice I guess, I don't know how much it will help your number 1 conquest, just win all the next slams :p

That's awesome though, better believe you're excited she's coming, tournament directors!
When I first saw this I figured it was because it was becoming an A-level next year.

Hots4Safin
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Sweet...I'm gonna be in Cincy for that!

winone23
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Take the title Serena!

amirhendel
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
she will play there like she played in Dubai...
if she will do well in RG and WIM (final or winning) i dont think she will play much more tournaments till the USO

RVD
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Serena Williams returning for '07 Women's Open

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Eight-time Grand Slam and recent Australian Open and Miami champion Serena Williams is expected to appear for a second consecutive year at the Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open in Mason, the tournament announced Tuesday afternoon.

"I had a great experience in Cincinnati last summer, and I'm really looking forward to returning in hopes of winning the title," Williams said in a release. "The facility there is great and the fans are very enthusiastic, so I'm looking forward to coming back."

Williams, who is ranked No. 11, reached the Women's Open semifinals in 2006 in her first tournament appearance after a six-month absence from the WTA Tour. Her first-round match against former French Open champ Ana Myskina drew nearly 6,000 fans, the largest crowd ever to see a women's professional tennis match in Cincinnati history.

"Serena returning is a real endorsement for women's professional tennis in Cincinnati, and we're sure our fans will be very excited to see her," tournament director Bruce Flory said. "She played unbelievable tennis in winning the Australian Open in January and Miami last month. We are excited that she's included Cincinnati in her schedule this summer."

The main draw of the 2007 Women's Open will be held July 16-22 at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.

http://www.pulsejournal.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/2007/04/03/pj040307williams.htmlNow THAT'S how you get a Williams to play at your event! Professional, complimentary, and kindness, all rolled into one very amiable quote. :bounce: :worship: :cool:

RVD
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Serena was treated very well last year. Girlfriend was the talk of the town.:hearts: We were thrilled to have her and disappointed when she didn't make the final. She said she had fun and wanted to come back and she will. I'm really happy she will be back. I'm sure it will be a sell out again.So happy to hear this. :bounce: :D

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I knew she would go back :lol: and all of you said she wouldn't :lol:

HA!

Go Ree! Go get # 30-something (I guess it would be 33 after Charleston, Berlin, Rome, French Open, and Wimbledon;))