PDA

View Full Version : Would removing overhead serve result in more enjoyable tennis?

Kworb
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
I had a dream that players were forced to do underhand serves from the middle of the baseline and they could serve it to anywhere at the opponent's side. It looked really cool. But I don't actually play tennis so I don't know if it's feasible. :( What do you think?

RJWCapriati
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
Nah - don't think so

ico4498
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
might help 2 of the players in your sig ...

John.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Would be silly. Can't see the appeal of it myself

miffedmax
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
I think it's fookin' genius. Yes, yes, yes, and again I say yes!

(Technically, it is legal to serve underhand, but you still have to hit it to the correct court. Miroslav Mecir did it).

But mandatory underhanded serves would be the best thing to ever happen to the WTA.

Seriously.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:22 PM

:devil: :worship:

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
(Technically, it is legal to serve underhand, but you still have to hit it to the correct court. Miroslav Mecir did it).

Hingis did it against Graf at the 1999 French Open.

I'm not for it. I like the difficulty of the overheard serve. The underhand idea reminds me of ping pong.

gelrad
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
I think they should simply make the servers some distance from the middle of the base line. So there will be less angels they could use to server. So less easy points for serving fast and far from the other player...

jazar
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM
it would ruin the game

woosey
some things are better left unchanged.

Craigy
No way. I love serving, and my fave is the best at serving :p Gets her out of trouble.

Mark Spruce
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
:spit: NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kosmikgroove
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
is it illegal to get a running head start to serve? akin to volleyball serves?

GracefulVenus
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:04 PM

LOL!

miffedmax
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM

It would most assuredly help both the players in my sig.

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
It's done in paddletennis and that is a lot more aggressive than tennis just because of how much faster the game is (albiet the game is played on a much smaller court)

But for players that have shoulder issues, it could be interesting how the opponent would deal with underhanded serving.

The Daviator
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM

:lol:

Tennace
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:32 PM
It might make more enjoyable tennis, but only for the serve to guess where its going :tape:

I dont like the idea :lol:

sundoulos
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
The game would be called table tennis! Great idea! Wait! I got copyright in this concept! :eek:

Mightymirza
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
well who knows lena might gety tight and DF even with underhanded serve :lol:

Mightymirza
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
The game would be called table tennis! Great idea! Wait! I got copyright in this concept! :eek:

except it doesnt played on a table?? :shrug: or maybe then we can play it on table!!! Ohh wait but its already an existent game :lol:

trufanjay
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
It's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of in my life.

urock34
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
it would suck becuase a lot of the players whose serves are there weapons like the williams sisters wouldnt be the same losing a huge weapon

Wayn77
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Yeah I think it's a terrific idea. :yeah:

With the mechnical centre of gravity lower with underarm serving: suddenly hip and bum-cheek pre-service routines come into play (rather like the prep most golfers do before blasting off the tee). Plenty of excellent wigglers on the WTA tour (Vera, Ana Ivanovic and Patty come to mind immediately). Near top of the under-arm service charts would surely be Her Royal Cuteness Camille Pin - both for volume of aces delivered and artistic wiggle merit.

kiwifan
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
it would suck becuase a lot of the players whose serves are there weapons like the williams sisters wouldnt be the same losing a huge weapon

Oh come on...

Serena returning an underhand serve :scared:

The matches would be even shorter. :devil:

rjd1111
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
I think it's fookin' genius. Yes, yes, yes, and again I say yes!

But mandatory underhanded serves would be the best thing to ever happen to the WTA.

Seriously.

Who are the Best servers?

Larry Scott may try and put that rule next. He's been coming up
with Anti-Williams rules since he's been head of WTA.

Heavier Balls, No Quality points, IW Suspension, etc

miffedmax
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
well who knows lena might gety tight and DF even with underhanded serve :lol:

Hmmmm. . . you're right. Maybe we'd better make winders in Moscow and having your mother coach you mandatory as well.

Nicolás89
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Who are the Best servers?

Larry Scott may try and put that rule next. He's been coming up
with Anti-Williams rules since he's been head of WTA.

Heavier Balls, No Quality points, IW Suspension, etc

yeah i agree, he is trying to harm the williamses in every change of rules :yeah:

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
No, it'd wreck the game - completely.

Tenis Srbija
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
yeah i agree, he is trying to harm the williamses in every change of rules :yeah:

As I said before, aren't we all trying to harm Williams sisters :rolleyes: :lol: :help:

Shooter
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
The overhead serve isn't much of a weapon in women's tennis, but in men's tennis it's ridiculous. I wouldn't change the serve in the women's game, and I wouldn't remove it entirely in the men's game. Instead, I'd limit the men to one, overhead, serve. Also, play all serves that touch the net (i.e. no lets). This would speed up play.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM

*DEAD* :haha: :haha:

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
As I said before, aren't we all trying to harm Williams sisters :rolleyes: :lol: :help:

Rules in basketball were changed because of Jordan.

Rules in football were changed because of Lawrence Taylor.

Rules and COURSES were changed in golf because of Tiger.

So don't sound so surprised.

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM

:haha: :lol: :rolls:

A'DAM
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Would replacing racket with a baseball stick result in more enjoyable tennis :rolleyes: :tape: :help:

PLP
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
AM I the only one who thinks it wouldn't change the game much?

The players with power would still have power everywhere else and the returns would be even more blistering. It might help Martina and Lena a bit, but not much.

rjd1111
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
Rules in basketball were changed because of Jordan.

Rules in football were changed because of Lawrence Taylor.

Rules and COURSES were changed in golf because of Tiger.

So don't sound so surprised.

Remember when they outlawed the dunk because of Kareem.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
Elena will be winning a Grand Slam soon! :scared: :scared: :scared:

sundoulos
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Remember when they outlawed the dunk because of Kareem.

I know this is a tennis blog, but the shot clock came to college basketball because USC Trojans basketball coach, Bob Boyd used the slowdown game to even begin to compete against UCLA. So you get a final score like 12 - 6. That's NOT a basketball score!? :fiery:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:39 AM
It would be dumb, think of the players who have crushing returns...they'd kill those first balls.

rjd1111
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I know this is a tennis blog, but the shot clock came to college basketball because USC Trojans basketball coach, Bob Boyd used the slowdown game to even begin to compete against UCLA. So you get a final score like 12 - 6. That's NOT a basketball score!? :fiery:

Notre Dame did the same thing against UCLA

Dunlop1
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Someone else already mentioned this. The serve is not a problem in the women's game. At least not yet. YOu can't compare it to the men's game, where I could sort of understand if you made this suggestion in reference to the men.
As opposed to removing the serve, I guess you could make the net a little bit higher.

This could solve the problem of too big serves and too big returns.

Midnite Surfer
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:28 AM
No I've played against people who use underhand serves. It is extremely boring.

Kworb
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM
It would be dumb, think of the players who have crushing returns...they'd kill those first balls.
If you serve it deep enough I'm sure it wouldn't be so easy to hit a return winner. But there probably would have to be some rule that the opponent has to be behind the baseline until the racket hits the ball.

And of course this change would benefit my favorites :devil:

paranr
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I think that was his main intention. :devil:

lecciones
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:06 AM
AM I the only one who thinks it wouldn't change the game much?

The players with power would still have power everywhere else and the returns would be even more blistering. It might help Martina and Lena a bit, but not much.

I don't even think it will help Martina at all. you give a weak serve like an underhanded serve and the power players will just hit it back like a cannon without giving you any time to react. The only reason to use the underhanded when the overhead is the norm is to surprise the opponent and throw him off balance. Anyway, you guys laugh a lot about Martina's serve but she has won 43 singles titles with it. A lot more than what other players wit better service have or can say about themselves.