PDA

View Full Version : Will Vaidisova do well on clay?

Aaron.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:17 AM
For those who Seen Vaidisova do well on clay.

At the FO last year she made the SFs points away from the finals but was that a fluke? not sure.

Ive only see Vaidisova play one clay match at last years FO vs Venus Williams and that was a sloppy match but Nicole won.

So does anyone think Vaidisova can challenge these top players on clay?
or her French Open Semi was a lucky week for her?

What does everyone think shell do on the clay this year?

selyoink
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:30 AM
She will do well on clay this year. May not make it back to the semis at RG though.

Derek.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:30 AM
She likes time to set up her shots and that's why she's had her best GS results at Roland Garros and the Australian Open.

She could definitely make another semifinal again at RG this year.

Wayn77
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
Devilsova was quite brilliant in the Q/F against Mauresmo I remember.

But then again it was a full-house big match in Paris on a sunny Sunday afternoon ....... and Amelie had that glazed look in her eyes.

Vaidisova
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM
She has made the semis of 2 of the last 4 Grand Slams so I expect another good run this time. Hopefully Nicole will start her clay season on a good note at Charleston where she will be #3 seed.

Brooklyn90
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
I accidentally choose the wrong option, I meant yes :)

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:43 AM
Vaidisova will do well on clay. Nicole needs time to set up her shots, which is why her best GS results came at the Australian Open and Roland Garros. I could definitely see her defending her SF points at RG.

Derek.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Vaidisova will do well on clay. Nicole needs time to set up her shots, which is why her best GS results came at the Australian Open and Roland Garros. I could definitely see her defending her SF points at RG.

Thanks for repeating what I said. :lol:

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:51 AM
Thanks for repeating what I said. :lol:

:lol: Oops, I didn't notice it :haha:

Frode
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:58 AM
She also won the Strasbourgh title (Tier III) the week before the french. I think she will do well. Hope so anyway:)

Aaron.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:01 AM
She likes time to set up her shots and that's why she's had her best GS results at Roland Garros and the Australian Open.

She could definitely make another semifinal again at RG this year. Yes but Nicole isnt the best mover and dosent have the best footwork isnt movement a big factor on clay?

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:02 AM
I think it was a fluke....but let's see how she does....I think we saw how she really does once she doesn't face a player that will choke away the match...hence why she lost that semi plus the semi against Serena....MoMo and Venus played horrible....had Venus taken her chances after that 1st set she would have won quite comfortably in the end

njnetswill
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:03 AM
Yes but Nicole isnt the best mover and dosent have the best footwork isnt movement a big factor on clay?

It helped people like Coria, but a player like Nicole doesn't have a DISadvantage on clay simply because she isn't the best mover. She's not Davenport. :p

Nicolás89
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:14 AM

She could definitely make another semifinal again at RG this year.

i agree in long rallies she has more time to preparate herself and finish her opponents and she likes the high bounce of the ball in order to hit a mega-hyper hard winner return, in adition the only tournament she won last year was in clay, she could definitely make some semis and finals in clay again this year

Derek.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
I think it was a fluke....but let's see how she does....I think we saw how she really does once she doesn't face a player that will choke away the match...hence why she lost that semi plus the semi against Serena....MoMo and Venus played horrible....had Venus taken her chances after that 1st set she would have won quite comfortably in the end

Quite comfortably? The 2nd set was 6-1. :lol:

Nicolás89
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Yes but Nicole isnt the best mover and dosent have the best footwork isnt movement a big factor on clay?

she is not the quickest but she is not slow neither, she is an average mover, for her height her movement is quite good

RJWCapriati
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
She will have her usual results - QF or SF

Nicolás89
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
I think it was a fluke....but let's see how she does....I think we saw how she really does once she doesn't face a player that will choke away the match...hence why she lost that semi plus the semi against Serena....

kuzy plays very well in clay besides she was very nervous in her first semis totally acceptable and serena, well, is serena

MoMo and Venus played horrible...

the momo match was very high quality till momo tanked, and venus wasnt in her best

.had Venus taken her chances after that 1st set she would have won quite comfortably in the end

she didnt had any chances in the second set:p (61 was the result)

Solitaire
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
She'll do well on clay. In womens tennis the surface doesnt have much bearing on matches. Nik like the rest of the top women and the majority of the tour play well on everything.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:15 AM
i have great confidence in her!

Orion
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM
I don't think so. She's not got enough quality movement, and there are too many girls who aren't going to be intimidated by her power. It'll neutralize her serve too much, and I can see her getting frustrated by losing more points on her serve. Frankly, I just don't think she's tough enough to beat the top of the top on clay. Choking against Kuznetsova is kind of ridiculous.

kittyking
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
Nicoles biggest weapon is her serve - this is a major reason how she made the semifinals of the Aussie Open this year (and was 'unlucky' not to go any further once her serve mysteriously went bad). Having a good serve doesnt help all too much on clay - at least not compared to Lobs, Drops, Volleys, Speed, Movement. I wouldnt say that Nicoles semifinal last year was a fluke as I think she played very well that tournament and she completely deserved to be a semifinalist but her chances of making the semifinals again really do rely on a decent draw. My pick - Quarterfinalist

starin
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Nicoles biggest weapon is her serve - this is a major reason how she made the semifinals of the Aussie Open this year (and was 'unlucky' not to go any further once her serve mysteriously went bad). Having a good serve doesnt help all too much on clay - at least not compared to Lobs, Drops, Volleys, Speed, Movement. I wouldnt say that Nicoles semifinal last year was a fluke as I think she played very well that tournament and she completely deserved to be a semifinalist but her chances of making the semifinals again really do rely on a decent draw. My pick - Quarterfinalist

Iono how she played in the earlier rounds but she played very poorly from the QF onward. In her QF match she made like 26 winners to 65 UE. something like that. Combined, her and Venus had over a 100 UE. The reason she lost in the SF was that Kuznetsova was just more consistent and kept the ball in play until Vaidisova imploded.

Josh.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
what about Strasbourg.. is she defending her title?

Vaidisova
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
what about Strasbourg.. is she defending her title?

No. She is playing Charleston, Berlin, Rome, then RG.

Highlandman
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Sure....

améliemomo
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
I think she will do well again,perhaps win a title also.

jazar
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
she wont win any big title but she will get to the latter stages and be a threat

Bruno71
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM

Wouldn't clay actually neutralize a not-so-great mover's disadvantage? The balls bounce slower and higher, so they should be more attainable for someone like Vaidisova. On the other hand, as we know, her power is neutralized on clay as well.

serena_fan
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM
Yes,Her Semi at FO wasnt a fluke and shell win vs top players on clay

jimbo mack
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM
i thought she moved quite well at the french last year, she definitely knows how to slide. she also hit some good drop shots and used angles well, both of which are effective on clay

Love-seles
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Boy Nicole really blew it in the FO semis last year. she played nothing like she did in the qf.
you never know what to expect no matter how well
she's playing. when she matures more and stops making tons of unforced errors she's going to be really hard to beat dispite her average movement.

Sexysova
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
yes, she will win RG and do well on clay :)

Mina Vagante
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
i dont think she'll do aswell as she did last year

The Dawntreader
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
I dont know whether she'll make the same kind of impression at RG again, i mean i could hardly see her getting to the semis beating players like Justine and serena along the way. As Derek said though, she does like to wind-up for her shots and slow red clay gives her enough time for this.

However her sloppy footwork could work against her on this surface....... She'll still reach quarters and semis at the European warm-ups though:)

Neptune
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
I believe clay can be her best surface.She was really on top form in Rg last year.In order to repeat her result, she needs to find the same form she had.Her serve is more efficient on the slowest surface.The bounce is very high on clay when she's serving.I remember her match last year against Tatiana in Fed Cup.Tatiana was very upset, she didn't know what to do because the ball was too high.

Demska
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
She should. Title at Strausborg and SF at French. Hopefully. :)

John.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
I think she'll do well on the clay. I can't seeing her winning a big title but QF SF are definite possibilities

DavenportForever
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM

i agree

PLP
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
I think she will do quite well.

To be honest, I felt like Nikki learned a lot from her loss against Martina in Rome, where her movement really hurt her. She was moving much better on the clay after that, being a bit more patient, esp. against Momo and Venus...just some fantastic matches at RG! Her level in the semi's wasn't quite the same.

I am not going to predict how she will fare in Paris, but I do think she will be a great contender for the title, at all of the tournaments on clay this season.

Josh.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
No. She is playing Charleston, Berlin, Rome, then RG.

not worried about defending points then..