PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams says she is ready to climb rankings again

vw.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:19 AM
V. Williams says she is ready to climb rankings again

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. (AP) -- Venus Williams says she is physically fit and ready to regain the form that helped her win five grand slam singles titles.

Williams will play her first clay-court match of the year Tuesday in the first round of the Bausch & Lomb Championship. Williams -- who will play Aravane Rezai of France -- won the event in 2002 when she was ranked No. 1, beating Justine Henin in a three-set tiebreaker.

"I feel really good," Williams said. "I had a great tournament in Memphis and a great tournament in Miami (last week) although I would have liked to do better.

"Every tournament is important to me because I don't play as much as the next player so it's important for me to play well each time I play."

After finishing no worse than 11th in the WTA Tour season-ending rankings from 1998 through 2005, Williams finished No. 48 a year ago. A wrist injury has limited her to just one tournament this year -- the Regions Morgan Championship in Memphis, Tenn., in February.

Williams won that event, but it was a lower-level event on the WTA Tour's schedule.

"I'm very eager to get my ranking up but realize I have to wait and quite possibly have to play more tournaments," said Williams, who is ranked No. 32. "Or I have to stay in there and win the big tournaments like (sister) Serena.

"I just have to be patient ... but I want it tomorrow," she said.

If Williams gets by Rezai, she'll meet No. 4 seed Patty Schnyder in the second round.

Anabel Medina Garrigues of Spain was the only seeded player to lose in the first day of action of the $600,000 tournament, the first clay-court event on the season. Garrigues, the No. 14 seed, lost to Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia, 7-6 (4), 6-2.

Sybille Bammer of Austria, the No. 13 seed, got a 6-3, 6-1 win over Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand.

Two of the six American players in the tournament lost first-round matches. Jill Craybas was beaten by Slovenia's Katarina Srebotnik 7-6 (6), 6-1 and Meghann Shaughnessy lost to Croatia's Karolina Sprem 6-4, 7-6 (5). The only American winner was Meilen Tu, who posted a 7-5, 6-1 win over Italy's Flavia Pennetta.

Two other American players -- Ashley Harkleroad and Vania King, were scheduled for night matches.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-bauschlombchampionship&prov=ap&type=lgns

vw.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:20 AM
Good attitude Venus. :yeah: Win the whole thing this week!

PatrickRyan
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
:bounce: Nice attitude

trufanjay
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
Venus is obviously eager. I hope she backs up those words. I want to see it, not hear it. Anything less than a win in Amelia Island is unacceptable. :)

sgsox
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Venus is obviously eager. I hope she backs up those words. I want to see it, not hear it. Anything less than a win in Amelia Island is unacceptable. :)

its not unnacceptable to lose in the finals to petrova or someone really good

TSequoia01
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
I have said it before and will now say it again. Venus is in fine physical form but mentally needs matches to get tough again to perform in matches as she does in practice. Venus will be a major obstacle for all on the WTA tour. It may not of looked that way in Miami but soon she will impress. Write it down!

tennisbum79
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:50 AM
Good atttitude.

But I feel she needs to hone her skills/readiness a little more so that she
does not have to fight herself , or spending the duration of an entire match looking for her game.

I am sure there are some sport psychologysts who help professional athletes finding that zone or rythm quickly.

trufanjay
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:51 AM
its not unnacceptable to lose in the finals to petrova or someone really good
I was sort of kidding so I added the smiley. But I don't think Venus would accept that from herself considering her goals. Do you?

Marcus Jordan
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:52 AM
I wonder if its possible for her to alter her sevice technique or whatever it is that makes her 2nd serve so messy.

winone23
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:52 AM
Go Venus let your racquet do the talking.....

Paneru
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:02 AM
As I've always said, Venus knows what she is
doing and will get to where she wants to be.

Very tempered Venus, eager yet patient, which
I feel serves her best. Not too eager and not
too patient. Controlled aggression. :yeah:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:04 AM
I'm glad she realizes that it will take some time, and that she is willing to play more

50Sense
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:10 AM
It's good to hear something like this from her, so I hope she comes out with the ferocity that backs it up.

LUIS9
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:33 AM
Schnyder must hate how the draw may play out. Venus in the second round is just crazy and she just does not match up well with Venus' game. Poor thing. She'l give a semi rusty Venus fits for a set or half a set until Venus wakes up and gives her the usual thump to the curve just in time. :o

.Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:35 AM
:yeah:

nhissan
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM
Good luck in Amelia Island Vee

Tennisation
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:41 AM
it's mathematically very simple Venus, let's try this again ok.....forehand errors and rankings are inversely proporptional to each other, increase in errors u get a decrease in ranking and vice versa, got it girl? now let's put that logic to use

Jeff
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Go Vee :wavey:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Venus!!!!!! I knew you wouldn't enter this tournament unless you knew like we all do....you shouldn't have lost to masha....let's go....this title is yours:devil:

Solitaire
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:39 AM
Great attitude as always. :) I just hope it translates to the court...

Andy.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:43 AM
Its a great attituge to have. If she can stay injury free this year she will definatly be top 10 again by the years end.

~Eclipsed~
Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:08 AM
Good luck Venus!

I just thought about it and if she keeps winning as well as playing next week. She will be playing 12 matches in 14 days.:eek: :eek:

Please don't burnout Vee. Stay healthy and build up that ranking!:cool:

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
i know she can do it...but why is she satisfied with her performance last week in miami? if anything she should be dissappointed in losing that match...

LucasArg
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:44 AM
Go for it Venus!!! :wavey:

azmad_88
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
all the best venus

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Good luck Venus!

I just thought about it and if she keeps winning as well as playing next week. She will be playing 12 matches in 14 days.:eek: :eek:
What's wrong with that?

afterall
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Venus loses matches on a consistent basis due to the 'unacceptable' number of unforced errors and the match against Sharapova was a perfect example of that. Other ones can be her matches against Hingis, Vaidisova, Pironkova.
Most of the times she plays OK up to a point and then her game crumbles. That's not the way you reach top 5 IMVHO.

switz
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
I'm sure a tight loss to Patty in round 2 is exactly what Venus needs to get her motivation even high to climb up the rankings :)

vswfan
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:03 AM
I dont believe her "words" now. I need some provement by she and her raquest.
How can she say she had a great week in Miami? the match between she and Maria is far a way from "good". she had good week in Miami only because Serena won the title?

The Dawntreader
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
I love hearing that Venus is so confident and eager!:D

Rest of the field look out, Venus is here!:bounce:

Viktymise
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Go Vee ;)

V-MAC
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
:) Go Venus!! :rocker:
I am kind of surprised though that she desciribed last week's Miami as a "great" tournament for her :scratch: I mean under nornmal circumstances there is no shame in losing to Sharapova, but considering the state of the match....unless Vee meant that it was great as in a good wake up call for her. We'll see ;) :bounce:

John.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Go Venus. Win the title :rocker2:

afterall
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
I love hearing that Venus is so confident and eager!:D

Rest of the field look out, Venus is here!:bounce:

Venus is here.. you just have to put the ball back and wait for the unforced error.

TSequoia01
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Give Vee some time, she is in great shape and has been working hard. Her shots are breaking down when she gets tight. Mentally she must toughen up and more matches will do exactly that.

Tennisaddict
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
It´s good to hear that Venus is eager to play. That´s always a good sign.
I think that a lot of people are expecting too much too soon from her.
Remember Venus is not like Serena in the sense that she can win big tournies after little matchplay. She might do it once in a while but Venus needs more matchplay to get consistent especially on the confidence and mental level.
So give her time I think she will be a force when RG and Wimbledon arrive.
I hope she will get deep in to the AI draw. A second round against Schnyder is good preparation for the clay.