PDA

View Full Version : Serena Sets Sights On Top

SerenaSlams
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:16 AM
Serena Sets Sights On Top

By Tennis Week
04/02/2007

You didn't need to consult the WTA Tour rankings, Map Quest or South Florida air traffic controllers for details on Serena Williams' desired destination for the duration of this season. The index finger Williams extended skyward at the conclusion of each of her six Sony Ericsson Open tournament victories last week was a visible reminder the Australian Open champ is setting her sights on a sustained rankings rise and ultimately aiming for the top.

Fighting off two match points while trailing top-ranked Justine Henin, 06, 4-5, Williams responded with a resilient rally, reeling off nine of the next 12 games to complete a 0-6, 7-5, 6-3 triumph in Saturday's Sony Ericsson Open final.

It was Williams' 28th career championship. The 13th-seeded Williams became the lowest-seeded woman to win in Miami (Kim Clijsters was unseeded when she beat Maria Sharapova to take the 2005 title; Svetlana Kuznetsova was seeded 12th when she beat Sharapova in the 2006 final.)

Williams entered the draw ranked No. 18 and exited ranked No. 11, scoring over top-seeded Maria Sharapova, eighth-seeded Nicole Vaidisova and 14th-seeded Shahar Peer en route to the final. She is the lowest-ranked woman in history to beat the world's top two ranked players in the same tournament and has set her sights on continuing her climb.

Three months into the season, Williams' 15-1 record gives her three more match victories than she won in all of 2006 when she posted a 12-4 record.

"I can only go up. I have no points to defend until Cincinnati, which is a Tier III [tournament], and I didn't do well at all at the [U.S.] Open," Williams said. "In L.A. I did well, I got to the semifinals, but other than that, I have nothing to lose. So that's all I'm doing. I'm just playing with a no-lose attitude. It's fun. I feel like wherever I go, even if I only win a round, I've gained points. So it's great, and I just hope to continue. I'm not going to stop here, you've got to continue to work hard."

The Sony Ericsson Open championship trophy has taken up residence in the Williams sisters’ Palm Beach Gardens, Florida home in seven of the last 10 years as Venus took home the title in 1998, 1999 and 2000. Serena succeeded her in claiming three straight Miami crowns (2002-2004) and with Saturday's title triumph, Williams surpassed Gabriella Sabatini for second-place all-time in Miami victories on the women’s side with 46. Williams also surpassed her sister Venus for second-place all-time with four women’s titles.

Hall of Famer Steffi Graf is the Miami women's leader with a 59-6 career record and five championships (1988, 1991, 1993, 1994 and 1996) in her career.

With Williams' victory, American women have now won nine of the 23 Sony Ericsson Open women’s singles titles, led by the Williams sisters’ combined seven victories. Chris Evert (1987) and Martina Navratilova (1985) won the other two. Germany is second with five.

:worship: 2 Grand Slam (Mixed Doubles) Titles:worship:

(1) Wimbledon ('98), (1) US Open ('98) (both w/ Max Mirnyi)

Brooklyn90
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:26 AM
Nice article :yeah:

LUIS9
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:53 AM
These articles are nice indeed but they always get the facts wrong at some point or somewhere. Some time ago a similar article had Ivanovic as a czech player and now Venus won miami in 2000 when she did not even play the event that year. She won in 98,99 and 2001.

Nonetheless, it's a nice summary of the current state in women's tennis. Serena Williams is once more the player at the centerstage of it all. :worship:

BrianII
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:55 AM
They always get it wrong with venus she won 1998, 1999 and 2001 she was injured was the first half of 2000.