PDA

View Full Version : Does Hingis want to play at the Olympics???

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
She isnt in the Swiss squad for the Fed cup in April and you have to play fed cup in 07 or 08 to qualify.

Does she want to play?? She hasnt played before and has she said in an interview whether she will/wont??

hingisGOAT
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
She could really give two shits. If she wanted to play she wouldve played and won in 2000 when she was #1 in the world and in the midst of her nearly perfect fall season.

The olympics are for sprinters and swimmers.

Chrissie-fan
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
I would like for her to compete at the Olympics. The Olympics is not a must-win event for a tennis player, but if you walk away with the gold it's nevertheless a highlight in a player's career. Martina has won three of the slams and the YEC. The French Open and the Olympics are the only two big titles missing from her resume. Go for it!

Tenis Srbija
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Sure she wants...

Orion
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I don't think she particularly cares. She came back to be ranked highly and try for slams again. The Olympics aren't part of that equation.

The Daviator
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
She could really give two shits. If she wanted to play she wouldve played and won in 2000 when she was #1 in the world and in the midst of her nearly perfect fall season.

I'm sure your tune would be different had she won the Olympics :lol: Something Graf, Capriati, Davenport, Venus and Henin have achieved :p

Oh, and even if she did show up, no way would she have beaten Venus...

Paneru
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM

Yeah, know way of ever knowing. :cool:

besides, the eventual champ would've
had much to say about that. ;) :kiss:

cartmancop
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
I wish she would try for it...It's such a rare event that its that much more desirable I think. But it's her choice.

But I don't think she would have beaten Venus in '00, she was just on such a great roll... hope she is able to play again in '08 :)

The Dawntreader
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hingis was being out-shadowed by all the big guns in 2000, eg Davenport, Venus, Pierce........ no way would hingis have won in 2000. Venus and lindsay were ruling the roost in 2000;)

griffin
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Hingis never cared about the Olympics before, and the fact that she's making no effort to play Fed Cup suggests she doesn't care about them now.

jimbo mack
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
hingis has played the olympics once in atlanta 1996, she lost in the early rounds to sugiyama

i think she she should play next year, since she missed sydney and athens

tennisbuddy12
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
i dont thinkshe really cares...it would be nice though!

venus_rulez
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:35 PM

To echo another poster your comments would be very different had she won an olympic medal. Venus would have beaten her at the olympics just like she beat her the 2 previous times they played that year.

Dave.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
The Olympics are one of the major events in tennis. To have any olympic medal is a huge achiievement. Hingis really should play this, it is such a rare and important event.

In 2000, I doubt Hingis would have been a favourite. Lindsay and Venus were the main favourites and would probably have met in the final if it wasen't for Lindsay's injury. Lindsay was on a roll during that indoor season.

iPatty
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
who is playing for switzerland?

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
;10428729']who is playing for switzerland?

fed cup?

Patty, Timea, Gagliardi and someone else

iPatty
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
fed cup?

Patty, Timea, Gagliardi and someone else

patty's playing? :rolls:

i thought she said a few years ago that she would never play fed cup again.

this pretty much confirms my theory that she'll retire at the end of 2008. she wants to play the olympics one more time.

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
;10428764']patty's playing? :rolls:

i thought she said a few years ago that she would never play fed cup again.

this pretty much confirms my theory that she'll retire at the end of 2008. she wants to play the olympics one more time.

why???

PLP
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
As a 15yr old in '96 Martina had her Olympic experience. I think she is over it, though I would love for her to prove me wrong.

In 2000, she really should have played. No, she wasn't dominant that year, but she was still at the top of the game, winning lots of titles, including the YEC. She could have medaled that year IMO. But we will never know, so...

iPatty
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
why???

i forget. it had something to do with gagliardi.

Martian Willow
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
To echo another poster your comments would be very different had she won an olympic medal.

Neither of you make sense because she didn't play. :shrug:

The Daviator
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Neither of you make sense because she didn't play. :shrug:

The point is, if Martina Hingis were an Olympic champion then the title wouldn't just be for 'sprinters and swimmers' ;)

Martian Willow
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
The point is, if Martina Hingis were an Olympic champion then the title wouldn't just be for 'sprinters and swimmers' ;)

No, the point is she didn't play which suggests she doesn't care about it. If she had played that would damage the theory that she doesn't care about it but she didn't so it doesn't.

The Daviator
Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
No, the point is she didn't play which suggests she doesn't care about it. If she had played that would damage the theory that she doesn't care about it but she didn't so it doesn't.

I know she doesn't care about it :p What I'm saying is that if Hingis were to have won that title, then it would suddenly become important in the eyes of certain people ;)