PDA

View Full Version : Success or Failure?

ys
Jun 28th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Thrid Round time.. For either of our girls remaining in the draw one more step would mean a sucessful tournament. Two more steps would be just grand..

1. Likhovtseva-Baltacha 75:25, Elena L. should win it. She has all needed components to beat The Ukro-British girl..

2. Dementieva-Majoli 60:40, two players on their worst surfaces. Elena is a favourite, but not overwhelming one. Last year in the third round she got destroyed by Huber who is by no means a grasscourter. Elena winning would mean that she made it to the R16 on 4 Slams in a row which is a very respectable consistency in defending her seedings.

3. Myskina-Mauresmo 50:50, They had very close match at last year USO. Nastya has gotten much better siince. Amelie hasn't. If Nastya plays to her strength, she wins. If she hits one of her bad streak, Amelie ,who is an excellent frontrunner, will take it. This is a very important match for Nastya. If she has a Top 10 ambitions, Amelie is her competitor for place in there, time to turn tables.

4. Panova-Rubin 30-70, Chanda is on a roll. Tanya's chance is that Chanda normally is not attacking net and tries to finish things from the baseline. Panova retrieving can frustrate her and break her groundies, but given what I've seen in Kournikova-Panova match, chances are that Chanda will blow Tanya away.

Overall, I expect 2 of our girls to get through. 3 would be a very good showing.

Cassius
Jun 28th, 2002, 12:08 AM
I expect, no, think, that maybe 3 Russian girls will make it through.
Dementieva and Myskina are the two who I'd put money on to win their respective matches.
Likhovtseva? She shouldn't underestimate Baltacha. Also, just because she beat Kim, she shouldn't rest on her laurels. Having said that, I think the Russian will go through.
Panova? She's had two good results, but like you said, Rubin's hit form at exactly the right time. Or exactly the wrong time, if your name is Tatiana Panova.

I predict 2 to definately go through, 3 to probably go through:bounce:.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 28th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Elena D has comprehensively beaten Iva in their two previous meetings so hope for a win of any sort this time :)
Iva's improved from when they last played in Oct 2000.

I'm sure if Nastya plays to anywhere near of her abilty she will pull it off.

Expecting Likhovtseva to come thru, she's got the experience and she can more than match Bally of the ground.

Tanya's chances i dont rate too highly at all. Rather wish it was Bovina who played Chanda as she'd have more of a chance.

the cat
Jun 28th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Likhovtseva - 60% - Elena B. can really serve! And the crowd will be factor.

Dementieva - 55% - This is the round she fell apart in last year. So I'm worried! :eek:

Myskina - 40% - Mauresmo has a stronger serve. And Ana has never beaten a player of Amelie's abilities at a grand slam. And Amelie came from a set down to win their U.S. Open encounter last year. So Amelie knows she can come from behind against Myskina.

Panova - 20% - Rubin is in devastating form! :eek: I hope Tatiana can last an hour. Panova has had a great tournamnet no matter what happens! :D

Udachi Russian girls! :bounce:

tenn_ace
Jun 28th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Likhovtseva - 80%
Dementieva - 80%
Myskina - 50%
Panova - 40%

the cat
Jun 28th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Wow! tenn_ace believes in his girls! :bounce:

tenn_ace
Jun 28th, 2002, 04:52 PM
I sure do;)

Cassius
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Panova and Myskina lost.
If Russia are going to be represented in the next round, it's up to Elena's Dementieva and Likhovtseva to do it.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:03 PM
good luck to the girls on Saturday

go Alyona's

the cat
Jun 28th, 2002, 08:01 PM
If Elena D. and Elena L. lose, that means Russia won't have a single player advance to the fourth round. That would be very dissaapointing to say the least! :(

Udachi Elena's! :bounce:

ys
Jun 28th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Admittedly, we didn't have the best of days today... Nastya's loss was extremely disappointing. It went to the worst case scenario I could have thought of.. Tanya's and Yevgeny's losses were more or less predictable though..

the cat
Jun 29th, 2002, 12:57 AM
I don't think it can be considered a success. I had high hopes for Marat Safin. And he succumed to the expectations.

I think Russian tennis fans have to hope a couple of these top flight junior girls can come through and be top players. Because other than Marat Safin, Russian tennis doesn't have a grand slam contender. Let's hope there are a couple grand slam contenders on the horizon with a couple of the Russian junior girls. But how likely is that, with the enormous and fast Williams sisters and Jennifer Capriati set to dominate for a few more years? :confused:

Now if the Russian junior girls have a good Wimbledon, then I might change my mind. We cats are finicky, you know! ;)

Cassius
Jun 29th, 2002, 01:51 AM
CAT, the Williams sisters (and Venus in particular) have in the past stated that they'll probably retire in their mid-20s.
So that another 5 or so years of more-or-less total domination, and then the other players (like Myskina and Dementieva and Henin and Clijstersand Hantuchova) will come through as the main contenders for everything.
And before you say 'What about Capriati, Davenport and Hingis', in 5 years Capriati and Davenport will both be 30ish and Hingis will still be down in the power stakes, so I don't think she'd be a genuine contender.

ys
Jun 29th, 2002, 06:00 PM
OK, much better day, as expected.. But Misha has to realise how critical kind of mission he volunteered for..

Elena Likhovtseva - Magdalena Maleeva 50:50. Maleeva likes fast surfaces and is dangerous. But each time she played a grasscourt tournament this year, she was stopped by a Russian girl. It has to happen again.

Elena Dementieva-Justine Henin 25:75, strength-wise should be even, but Elena's mental block is a huge factor.. Elena is in good form, and Justine is not, still it would be a big surprise if Elena even takes a set of Justine.

On the strength of odds I do expect one of our girls to get thru.

Cassius
Jun 29th, 2002, 06:04 PM
YS, Henin still hasn't beaten Casanova yet.
She's a set and 3-1 up, but it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 29th, 2002, 08:39 PM
pretty good win for Alyona :) much as i expected it would be over Iva, she's got her number :)

now for Justine, just as long as she goes out there and doesn't get pushed about i know she can do a good job :)

At the AUS she was on the back foot for most of the points, now she has to take the lead.

ys
Jun 30th, 2002, 12:14 AM
I agree, Elena can do it. Henin's topspin backhand is a weapon on Rebound Ace, it is a liability on grass. Elena must have advantage in both - forehand and backhand rallies. The question is how she is going to handle slices.

Cassius
Jun 30th, 2002, 12:41 AM
The question is:
Will Elena once again lose to a player that she should lose to?
I mean in terms of their ranks. Elena seems to quite consistantely beat 'lesser' players, but she almost always faulters against 'better' players.
Like Seles used to/still does.
I hope that with the pressure on her opponent (an opponent who's not playing to great), Elena can win through. If she can, this'll be a springboard, because even if she loses in the QF, she'll know in her mind that she CAN beat the higher players, and that she WILL beat them.
I think Elena needs Lina's on court philosophy, 'I CAN, I WILL'. Apparently positive thinking like this, can do wonders for confidence.

DEETHELICK
Jun 30th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Reading the article ys posted, it seems as though Elena is working on confidence (she made a reference to being psychologically healthy I think). I think these past 2 weeks have also been a confidence booster for her.

Elena will have to think she has nothing to lose, she has made it further than last year. OTOH, Justine has finalist points to defend, which is a pressure in itself.

Elena has the power and speed to match Justine, there is no problem there.

Slice-wise, well Loit was targetting Elena's BH with slices all the time. Elena dealt with them efficiently, putting them away or forcing errors.

Hopefully we see a great match (with Elena winning fo course!)

Good luck Elena :hearts:

mboyle
Jun 30th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Everyone here seems to be pointing to Elena's lack of mental strength. What you have to remember is that Justine is just as if not more mentally shakey. If you give her the opportunity to choke, she will. I say 50:50 for both Elenas, but since Maggie has been on fire and Justine has been playing pretty badly, I raised the normal odds for Elena D. and lowered them for Elena L. ANyway, GO ELENA!

Cassius
Jun 30th, 2002, 06:07 PM
MBOYLE, that's a good point. BOTH of these girls can be called 'chokers'. Or, in the past could've been called 'chokers'.
Justine's done it more times than Elena, and the pressure is ALL on the Belgien, so hopefully Elena will be relaxed and can play her game.
The only person in this tourny with more points to defend than Justine is Venus, and Venus will comfortably defend her points, but Henin is slightly suspect at the moment.
This will work in Elena's favour.
DAVAY Elena!!!!!

the cat
Jun 30th, 2002, 07:55 PM
This Wimbledon has been a modest succes for the Russians. And if the Russian junior girls play well, then this Wimbledon will have been a Russian success story.