PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova (2) vs Vera Douchevina (3)

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 27th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Final of Roehampton tomorrow and it should be a cracker

Masha is the undoubted favorite but Vera has the power and net play to unsettle her, just hopinf she isn't as nervous as she was in Australia.

Should be a cracking final and hopefully they can repeat this at Wimbledon next week

the cat
Jun 27th, 2002, 07:04 PM
This is great news! Congrats to Maria and Vera! :D Poor Eva! :eek: She doesn't know what to do with Vera! ;)

Eggy, I would only slate Maria as a slight favorite. I think Maria will win a close straight set battle. I think she has the Russian girls numbers! :eek: But Vera has a great physique in the Dementieva mold! :D So she has the advantage physically, in terms of size and strength.

I'm glad Maria didn't humiliate Anna. I was worried about that. Atleast Anna was a little competitive.

Do you think the other Russian junior girls are intimidated by Maria's fame and game? :confused:

Udachi Maria and Vera! :bounce: Have a great final! :D

Cassius
Jun 27th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Which Anna are you talking about? Bastrikova (spelling?)?

CAT, I don't think Sharapova has enough fame to intimidate her opponents. Her game 'might' intimidate them, but not her fame. Kournikova has enough fame to intimidate people, and Venus has enough game, but Sharapova? I shouldn't think so. Not yet anyway.
I don't mind who win's. I just hope the crowd are able to enjoy a good match:D.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Vera blew Masha away 6-1 6-1 in the final :)

what a result for Vera :) she totally dominated with her game and her power/net play
something Masha doesn't see too often.

Cassius
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:42 PM
6-1 6-1:eek:
CAT won't be happy;).
Well done Vera.
I don't suppose Sharapova'll be too happy either.
6-1 6-1. What a way to lose in a final to your compatriot:eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Vera isn't fazed by anyone, why would they be fazed by her fame ?? she's just another Russian tennis player.

Nina_rus
Jun 28th, 2002, 07:23 PM
I'm pretty sure many Russian players don't know who Sharapova is

the cat
Jun 28th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Congrats Vera! :bounce:

Poor Masha! :sad: And poor Sharky! She's going to be in shock! :eek:

But when Maria gets Vera on a hard court again, she'll whip her just like she did in Australia! ;)

Maria should still play #1 singles on the Russian Connolly Cup team. Right?

Nina, many Russian tennis players don't know who Sharapova is? :confused: You're kidding, right? Are you talking about junior girls? WTA women? I find that hard to believe! :confused: Maria is mnaged by IMG and she has received a tremendous amount of publicity worldwide.

I'm pretty sure this was Maria's first ever junior (12u 14u 16u and 18u) loss to a compatriot of hers. She has to be hurting alot over taking such a beating. I hope she can recover in time for Wimbledon.

Eggy, were you there? Does Vera have a big serve?

Cassius, thanks for thinking of me! :mad:

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 28th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Cat, it all depends on their Junior ranks at the time
Imagine Sharky or Vera as the #2 (others would be shitting themselves either way)

the cat
Jun 29th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Is there even going to be a Russian team entered this year? Remember 2 years a go when Russia wasn't even entered in the Connolly Cup? I still haven't figured that one out. :confused:

Da! A Vera and Masha tandem would be even more intimidating than the Svetlana Kuznetsova and Vera Zvonareva duo that led Russia to the Connnolly Cup title last year. :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 29th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Cat two years ago they didn't qualify for the main showpiece for various reasons as they couldn't put out their intended lineup in the qualifying and missed out.

Qualies are a long way off.
Vera Zvonareva and Dinara Safina have finished with juniors, i also don't expect Sveta to play so that leaves

Vera Douchevina, Anna Bastrikova, Maria Kirilenko plus Maria Sharapova (if she wants to play qualies) or Eugenia Linetskaya

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 6th, 2002, 01:07 PM
its on again this week as we wanted

go Vera and grab the title :)

winner becomes #2

the cat
Jul 6th, 2002, 02:24 PM
I think Vera is the clear favorite after crushing Maria 6-1 6-1 in the Roehampton final. :eek:

I can only hope that Maria keeps the match close enought o make Vera nervous.

Vera has a tremendous physical advantage. She is listed as weighing 150 pounds. While Maria is listed at 114 pounds. That's a 36 pound difference. And they both are only 15. How did Vera get a physique like that already? When Venus Williams and Elena Dementieva were 15, they were still skinny. What has Vera been eating?

Eggy, if the winner becomes #2, what ranking does the runner up achieve? :confused:

My prediction is Maria Sharapova d. Vera Douchevina 2-6 7-6 (6) 14-12! :bounce:

Udachi Maria!

P.S. - Congrats to Maria Kirilenko on a fine tournament, too! :D She has come a long way in the past year. And she showed alot of heart today against Maria Sharpova. Getting bageled in the forst set. Then coming back to win the second set 6-3. Then she went up a break in the third set before Maria Shapova shoed some heart of her own. Well done to the Masha's! And Vera! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 6th, 2002, 02:39 PM
runner up will be #8

Vera is a fine healthy girl :)

today she got off to a slow start 0-3* (2 breaks) but once she got in her stride Tatiana could do little and won 1 more game.

spiceboy
Jul 6th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Go Vera ;)

Warrior
Jul 6th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Go Maria!

fresh2flash
Jul 6th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Go both :)