PDA

View Full Version : Why did Lena play so poorly at the '06 YEC?

kinglear
Mar 24th, 2007, 12:59 AM
It seemed like she played so defensively. For instance, in her match against Sharapova, the usual Lena would have outpaced Sharapova, but instead Lena was pushed back. I hate it when that happens. Also, why does Lena always get defeated by Kuznetsova. I'm not sure of their head-to-head, but it always seems like Kuznetsova beats Lena. :sad:

miffedmax
Mar 24th, 2007, 04:12 AM
I really don't think Lena cares about YEC. I think she just shows up for the qualifying check, and check out.

She used to have a winning h2h with Kuzzy, but Kuzzy closed it some. Unfortunately, Kuzzy won the big one.

kinglear
Mar 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I really don't think Lena cares about YEC. I think she just shows up for the qualifying check, and check out.

She used to have a winning h2h with Kuzzy, but Kuzzy closed it some. Unfortunately, Kuzzy won the big one.

haha maybe you're right. I'd rather have Lena win a Slam than YEC. I'd love to see a match where Lena defeats Kuznetsova. Honestly, the only matches that I've seen the two women play is the 2004 US Open final (:rolleyes: ) and 2006 New Haven. By the way Max, do you think that Lena would have been fresher for the US Open final if she hadn't played doubles?

miffedmax
Mar 24th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I think her thigh is what did her in the second set. The first set, Kuzzy was great, nothing Lena could do. The second set had a number of points where Lena just pulled up short, unable to run down shots she might have otherwise.

I"m pretty sure the thigh injury was from singles, and she did drop out of the doubles, so I don't think it did. Kuzzy played for the doubles title the next day and lost.

kinglear
Mar 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I think her thigh is what did her in the second set. The first set, Kuzzy was great, nothing Lena could do. The second set had a number of points where Lena just pulled up short, unable to run down shots she might have otherwise.

I"m pretty sure the thigh injury was from singles, and she did drop out of the doubles, so I don't think it did. Kuzzy played for the doubles title the next day and lost.

Oh yeah, that's right, her thigh was wrapped in that bandage. Honestly, I think she might have won the title if she won her SF in straight sets. The problem with Lena is that she fights so hard in almost every match, even against the lower-ranked players. I know it's because she's a late starter, but I'm officially sick of her 3-set matches. Then again Sharapova is the same way: she doesn't have that many "easy" matches, and you would think she would. :rolleyes: