PDA

View Full Version : When did you first become a fan of Jelena?

Erika_Angel
Mar 19th, 2007, 05:56 AM
This is always interesting to see, as I know a lot of people weren't tennis fans when Jelena was at her peak. So let's hear when you first heard about Jelena and became a fan, and why?

For me, it was 1999 at Wimbledon. I had seen her results at the Australian Open and she impressed me, but it wasn't until Wimbledon where I saw a few of her matches and she was just so explosive. She was doing the fist pumps and she was just so terrific. I've been a dedicated fan ever since :D

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 19th, 2007, 06:07 AM
For me, it was 1999 at Wimbledon.
Same. :hearts: Those explosive "SHOO!" sounds she made when striking her clean, flat, powerful drives had me instantly crazy about her. She was so cute too, full of exuberance, full of intensity. Such a joy to watch play.

I'll forever love Jelena Dokic. :hearts:

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Off topic.. but I was thinking us Dokic fans need a signature group thingy. Like Myskina has the 3AM Rollercoaster, Maria is the Golden Girl, Justine has her Philistine society or whatever, Elena Demenieva AFR... we need to make one for Jelena.

Something clever though.

Mr.Kardashian
Mar 19th, 2007, 07:53 AM
i wasnt a fan of jelena when she was at her peak... actually i wasnt a tennis fan at all until the 2005 australian open... when i heard jelena would be playing for australia again late 2005 i think and she recieved a wildcard to the open in 06, i did some research, looked up some of previous results and videos of her matches and instantly fell in love... her match against razzano was the first live match id ever seen of hers and i was so happy when she hit that shot and thought shed won it but it was called out and then i was crushed when she lost...

i hope jelena returns to the top again so i can follow her results and see her on tv.

Kim.C.Fan
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I fell in love around with her at US Open 2003 with her match against Pierce, which was on Arthur Ashe I believe? Anyway that was around the time when I started to like tennis. I have loved Jelena ever since.

vutt
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I used to be S.Graf fan. But it was before the Internet age. So beeing a fan wasn't part time job if you know what I mean ;)
Of course I remember Dokic from 1999 and 2000 Wimbledon runs. I also remember her on TV from 2001 indoor season but it was early 2002 US clay court season when I truly got involved.

King Aaron
Mar 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM
1999 Wimbledon. That was when I first took interest in tennis and naturally her stunning upset caught my attention. ;)

My first time seeing her play was at the 2000 Wimbledon. I will always remember her hitting an air-ball against Davenport in the semifinals. :lol:

Schnyderfreak
Mar 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
When I was watching tennis Steffi Graf was at the top af her game with Monica Seles ( before the stabbing) and Sanchez vicario,Sabbatini and good old Navratilova:worship: as competitors.
Then came this beautiful young tennis player from down under with Serbian roots and competed with them without any problems when she was only 14-15 !!!
Her strong forehand drives and doulbe handed backhand down the line were great weapons besides her great mobility, she was sooo quick on court.
and het stare when she had to receive the serves were driving me totally crazy:hearts: :sad:
I was a big time Pete Sampras follower but this girl just stole my heart together with Patty Schnyder who did well in the Aus open against Dominique van Roost.
I stopped watching tennis due to circumstances in 98 but last things I heard were that her dad was making a fool of himself at her expense as well. She couldn't be blamed off course but surely felt embarrased by his behaviour.
last Februari I went to the Antwerp tournament with a friend and became tennisfreak again.
I never forgot Jenena however cuz last year I asked my buddy how she was doing and he showed me she was positioned around 350 in the world.
Now I joined the forum she fell to 622 but still in my heart forever.
As long as she holds a racket she has my support:worship:

Highlandman
Mar 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM
1999 Wimbledon after beating Hingis :wavey: :kiss:

Just Do It
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I remember Jelena played against Davenport AO 2001 ( is it 2001 ? ) R1 ! Damir Dokic and Jelena were angry because they thought Australian tennis federation cheated ! I really felt sorry because that happened, and since then I am a fan - I watched that match and Jelena played really great, against Davenpor who was unbeatable at that ime ! After that she started playing for Serbia ( at that time Yugoslavia ) and everybody here started playing tennis just because of her - just like me :lol:

Erika_Angel
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I remember Jelena played against Davenport AO 2001 ( is it 2001 ? ) R1 ! Damir Dokic and Jelena were angry because they thought Australian tennis federation cheated ! I really felt sorry because that happened, and since then I am a fan - I watched that match and Jelena played really great, against Davenpor who was unbeatable at that ime ! After that she started playing for Serbia ( at that time Yugoslavia ) and everybody here started playing tennis just because of her - just like me :lol:

Ah she still played a great match despite all that pressure and stress she must've been going through. It is her closest match with Lindsay in the 9 times they have played (and Jelena has lost :sad: )

Yeah that was 01 because she represented AUS at the 2000 Olympics I remember (where she did fantastic!).

King Aaron
Mar 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Ah she still played a great match despite all that pressure and stress she must've been going through. It is her closest match with Lindsay in the 9 times they have played (and Jelena has lost :sad: )

Yeah that was 01 because she represented AUS at the 2000 Olympics I remember (where she did fantastic!).
There have only been 2 competitive matches between the two. :sad: One was the AO one and the other a tight two setter at Wimbledon during the same year.

Sergio
Mar 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Start of 2001 when on the BBCworld they said she was recovering her nationality, a pict of her appeared for some 10 seconds and I saw those amazing eyes. THen the first time I got to admire the grace of her presence was in the Berlim open, human race achieving perfection.

Dokic Pierce
Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:04 AM
6-2 6-0 over Martina Hingis :devil:

Wimby '99 - who could forget it - such a shock! :bounce:

ce
Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
2002,started playing because of her,:kiss:

Mattographer
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
January 1999, won over Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario at the Hopman Cup :)