PDA

View Full Version : Anna in Miami

goldenlox
Mar 17th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Anna will be the #10 seed in Miami, a tougher field than IW.

GeorgianFan
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Good Luck Anyta http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4497/olelf0.gif

hu2891601
Mar 18th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Good luck, ANNA!!! :yeah: :bounce:

btw, GeorgianFan: LOVED your emoticon!!! :yeah:

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 18th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Good luck Anna! :bounce:

cosmoose
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Good luck Anna!

Ты сможешь!! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Wintermute
Mar 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Anna needs to make the Round of 16 to provisionally overtake Dementieva in the Top 10. However with so many points on offer in Miami she could easily get overtaken herself by the likes of Serena Williams winning the thing. Also Daniela is now hot on her heels with not much to defend until Roland Garros.

soul
Mar 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM
AFter Indian Wells Im not verY sure of her performance since I was reAly hoping A semifinal from her. Miami will be more difficult than Indian Wells. I wish her all the best

Pink Princess
Mar 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4025/808tk6.png

C'mon Anna:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Wintermute
Mar 18th, 2007, 04:58 PM
AFter Indian Wells Im not verY sure of her performance since I was reAly hoping A semifinal from her. Miami will be more difficult than Indian Wells. I wish her all the best

I don't think the courts in Indian Wells suited her. They are apparently some of the slowest hardcourts, the ball certainly bounces very high. But the actual climate means the ball travels really fast through the air. Your timing has to be perfect or the ball goes flying long - hard to keep the errors down there.

Hopefully the Miami courts will be more to Anna's taste. I was hoping she would write a diary entry about her Indian Wells loss but nevermind.

hu2891601
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'm missing the diary entry too! :sad:

but anyways, hope anna can get to at last the quarterfinal! the 5-8 seeds aren't that strong at all! so Anna can definitely get to the quarterfinal.. :yeah:

Sund7101
Mar 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Best of luck Anna!!

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 19th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I don't think the courts in Indian Wells suited her. They are apparently some of the slowest hardcourts, the ball certainly bounces very high. But the actual climate means the ball travels really fast through the air. Your timing has to be perfect or the ball goes flying long - hard to keep the errors down there.

Hopefully the Miami courts will be more to Anna's taste. I was hoping she would write a diary entry about her Indian Wells loss but nevermind.

The Miami courts are some of the slowest hardcourts as well :p :unsure:

Anna just needs to be more confident in her game, she didn't go for her shots enough against Peer, especially serving.

cosmoose
Mar 19th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Question for Anna experts.
What is the ideal surface for Anna?

fast/slow court
high/low bounce
indoor/outdoor
rebound ace (Aus open), deco turf (US open), clay, grass

Wintermute
Mar 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM
The Miami courts are some of the slowest hardcourts as well :p :unsure:

But it's more humid in Miami so the ball doesn't fly as much if you know what I mean. I think it could help Anna keep her error count down.

BUBI
Mar 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Question for Anna experts.
What is the ideal surface for Anna?

fast/slow court
high/low bounce
indoor/outdoor
rebound ace (Aus open), deco turf (US open), clay, grass

I don't really know... She likes grass but I hope she will do well on clay because that's my favourite surface to watch :lol:

Schnyderfreak
Mar 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Go Anna:angel:

and good luck as well :)
QF would be good to fortify your position, anything better is icing on the cake:)

cosmoose
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Bardina/Ancic
Chakvetadze(9)

Golovin(17) is the likely 3rd round opponent
Jankovic(7) is the likely 4th round opponent
Clijsters(4) is the likely quarterfinals opponent

hu2891601
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
the draw is hard........, but oh well, at least she's not in Sharapova's quarter, that'd be :help: if Anna's in that quarter.

BUBI
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Bardina/Ancic
Chakvetadze(9)

Golovin(17) is the likely 3rd round opponent
Jankovic(7) is the likely 4th round opponent
Clijsters(4) is the likely quarterfinals opponent
the draw couldn't possibly be any tougher than that :scared:

cosmoose
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:48 PM
the draw couldn't possibly be any tougher than that :scared:

I think she would prefer this over Sharapova's draw.
How about VW in 3rd, SW in 4th? Yikes :eek:

BUBI
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I think she would prefer this over Sharapova's draw.
How about VW in 3rd, SW in 4th? Yikes :eek:
But Anna would beat them. Easily :angel:

hu2891601
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM
But Anna would beat them. Easily :angel:

:lol: I'm sure Anna will! :yeah: and she'll totally thrash Golovin, Jankovic and Clijsters! :bounce: :lol:

Wintermute
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Sony Ericsson Open
Miami, FL, USA
March 22 - April 2, 2007
Tier I
Prize Money: $3,450,000
Surface: Hardcourt/Outdoors

Website: www.sonyericssonopen.com (http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/index.html)

Anna's quarter of the draw:

(7) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) v Bye
Shuai Peng (CHN) v Elena Vesnina (RUS)
Jill Craybas (USA) v Roberta Vinci (ITA)
Bye v (32) Mara Santangelo (ITA)

(17) Tatiana Golovin (FRA) v Bye
[WC] Iroda Tulyagonova (UZB) v Qualifier
Vasilisa Bardina (RUS) v [WC] Sanja Ancic (CRO)
Bye v (9) Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)

(15) Na Li (CHN) v Bye
Qualifier v Alicia Molik (AUS)
[WC] Petra Martic (CRO) v Alina Jidkova (RUS)
Bye v (20) Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)

(25) Samantha Stosur (AUS) v Bye
Qualifier v Olga Poutchkova (RUS)
Akiko Morigami (JPN) v [WC] Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN)
Bye v (4) Kim Clijsters (BEL)

Anna probably has to beat Golovin to get a provisional place in the Top 10.

Sund7101
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I really think Anna can make the quarters.

Pink Princess
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
The Draw of Miami:cuckoo:C'mon The Princess of the braid you ally Chakvetadze:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

GeorgianFan
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Go Anyta Top 10 is our mission:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BUBI
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM
The Draw of Miami:cuckoo:C'mon The Princess of the braid you ally Chakvetadze:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:
Yeah ;) ... The Princess of the Braid :hearts:

soul
Mar 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I think this is a tough draw but I feel that Anna will manage to come over against this.Anna is more talented than Jelena and Tatiana and since Kim's last year I give credit to Anna to pass this draw.
Come on Anna u can do it at last

goldenlox
Mar 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Golovin plays well here. Anna will have to play well in that match

TennisPlayingFox
Mar 20th, 2007, 02:02 AM
A tough draw. Good luck Anna!

selyoink
Mar 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I hate this draw. I have to hope Anna wins only one match because Tati is her immediate seeded opponent. There are only 4 players in the draw I really like and of course two of them have to play each other early on.

Kim.C.Fan
Mar 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM
GL Anna. :)

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 20th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Bad draw, Tatiana will be tough. Just run her around the court Anna! :devil: :lol:

Wintermute
Mar 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I hate this draw. I have to hope Anna wins only one match because Tati is her immediate seeded opponent. There are only 4 players in the draw I really like and of course two of them have to play each other early on.

I knew you'd say that as soon as I saw the draw. Bad luck, but at least be happy Tati and Anna aren't in the top half.

ALYOUNA
Mar 21st, 2007, 01:24 AM
Good luck she is so clever that she atracts me deeply

NyCPsU
Mar 21st, 2007, 06:46 AM
tough draw but im confident anna will have a good showing :bounce:

ill be rooting for her over tati even though it will hurt to do so, i cant explain how much this draw sucks :sobbing:

anyhow one match at a time and lets enter the top 10 :hearts:

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 21st, 2007, 07:40 AM
Good luck Anna :kiss: :hearts:

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2007, 04:42 PM
Anna still hasn't written a diary entry since March 8.
If she's this lazy with Lansdorp, he'll walk off the court and leave her there.
She's not playing now, she should practice her writing skills.

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM
A rematch of the Hobart final, Anna plays Vasilisa in round 2

GeorgianFan
Mar 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4112/bardinach9.png

Удачи! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM
wait a minute....is anna working with lansdorp? :eek:

Wintermute
Mar 21st, 2007, 11:19 PM
wait a minute....is anna working with lansdorp? :eek:

Where have you been? :p We've been chatting about this in Anna's fanclub thread.

Bardina is okay for a first match. I still don't know too much about her to be honest but her results post-Hobart haven't been great.

Wintermute
Mar 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM
MIAMI (http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20070321171528.html) – Several players from the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour came out Wednesday afternoon to pose for pictures with animals from Parrot Jungle Island at the Tennis Center in Crandon Park.

The photo shoot featured players Anna Chakvetadze, Vera Dushevina, Patty Schnyder, Nadia Petrova and Michelle Larcherde Brito. Fourteen-year-old Brito defeated Meghann Shaughnessy earlier in the day. Each of the participants had an opportunity to hold an owl, baby kangaroo and red tail cockatoo.

Pink Princess
Mar 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Anna will win as in Hobart I hope that here make it easier. C'mon Anna :bigclap::hearts::bigclap:

hu2891601
Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:00 AM
LOL, maybe Anna's busy doing her hw that she mentioned in that interview ;) but YES, i miss her diary!! :sad:

cosmoose
Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
Is Anna playing tomorrow? (thursday) :confused:

Spiritof42
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Anna still hasn't written a diary entry since March 8.
If she's this lazy with Lansdorp, he'll walk off the court and leave her there.
She's not playing now, she should practice her writing skills.
More diary entries would indeed be nice, but I'm sure she has more pressing business than writing for a web site. Maybe the webmaster is the lazy one... he still hasn't updated the "Tournaments" page with her Indian Wells results...

Spiritof42
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
No. Only 1st round matches are scheduled on Thursday. I fully expect Anna to beat Bardina, but things are going to get trickier after that...

hu2891601
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:54 AM

Anna will play on Friday! :bounce:

Spiritof42
Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:38 AM
Anna's going to play in the 4th match on court 3:

Schedule of Play for Friday, March 23, 2007
1. Men's Singles: 1st Round
Christophe Rochus (BEL) vs. Fabrice Santoro (FRA)
2. Women's Singles: 2nd Round
Ai Sugiyama (JPN) [22] vs. Anastasiya Yakimova (BLR)
3. Men's Singles: 2nd Round
Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) [16] vs. Teimuraz Gabashvili (RUS) Q
4. Women's Singles: 2nd Round
Vasilisa Bardina (RUS) vs. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) [9]

Good luck Anna!:bounce:

hu2891601
Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:48 AM
yay! I'm sure Anna can win! :yeah: :bounce:

Pink Princess
Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:33 AM
YAY!!! C'mon Anna:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Pink Princesshttp://1000smilies.com/princess2.gif

soul
Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Sure Anna will win, it is time to make a big step now and get the final Anna
wsh u all the luck:bounce:

cosmoose
Mar 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Good luck Anna! :yeah:

GeorgianFan
Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Vpiriod Anyta http://foolstown.com/sm/bud.gif Good luck.

hu2891601
Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
oh, hehe, GeorgianFan, you always got the cutest emoticons!! :yeah:

BUBI
Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:32 PM
oh, hehe, GeorgianFan, you always got the cutest emoticons!! :yeah:
Are you sure about that? :p

Pink Princesshttp://1000smilies.com/princess2.gif

Wintermute
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Match is currently suspended by rain with Anna leading 6-1 2-0 0-15*

The match started with three consecutive breaks of serve. In fact no-one has saved a break point so far. Apart from that it's been fairly easy for Anna. She seems to be returning very well.

She double faulted on her second set point but that's excusable, 6-1 is a good score. She looked to be really getting into a nice groove when it started raining. Hopefully she can continue it on the restart.

cosmoose
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
play resumed!

Anna 6-1, 4-0

Looking good. :cool:

Pink Princess
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
GRRR NOOO:rain:

CHAKVETADZE IS ON FIRE!!!http://www.apinchofthis.com/forum/images/smilies/pink.gif

Anna 6-1 3*-0:bigclap:

Pink Princess
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
Chakvetadze 6-1 5-0http://www.apinchofthis.com/forum/images/smilies/pink.gifhttp://www.apinchofthis.com/forum/images/smilies/pink.gifhttp://www.apinchofthis.com/forum/images/smilies/pink.gif For the Donut:devil:

cosmoose
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Tasty match. Breadstick and Bagel :devil:
6-1, 6-0 :lol:

Wintermute
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
That's Anna's most convincing scoreline of the year, also the third bagel she's dished out in 2007. :)

Next up: Golovin.

Pink Princess
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Anna won 6-1 6-0 YAY!!! To winning in the 3rd Round:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

GeorgianFan
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
6-1 6-0 :tape: :devil:

KV
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Nearly with the perfect scoreline. Anyway great perf. :)

hu2891601
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
YAY!!! that's a lot easier than expected! haha, :yeah: BEAT golovin next round! :bounce:

hu2891601
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Are you sure about that? :p

LOL, you're right! Pink Princes has some of the cutest too!!!!! :worship: :p

Where did you guys get those?

Wintermute
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Anna won 6 of 6 break points and on return points won 59% on 1st serve and 76% on 2nd serve. :yeah:

soul
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
That is it.A win in straight sets and next match against Golovin. She will pass this match too.She is more talented than Tatiana.

I hope this tournament will be her big step
Wish you luck Anna, congratulations

goldenlox
Mar 24th, 2007, 12:52 AM
A good start. Anna will need to play well to go far.

GeorgianFan
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:00 AM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5018/annagolovinwb6.png

Spiritof42
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Very good start to the tournament. :) Things will be tougher against Golovin (who beat Anna the last time they met, at last year's US Open). And most likely Jankovic after that. :unsure:

cosmoose
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:27 AM
This thread is from GM.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=291276
"Chakvetadze was returning to the court after the rain delay and was just nasty to everyone...The chick she was playing stopped and posed for pics...it was maybe four of us by the empty court cause nobody gave a shit about her...but the few of us who recognized her asked her to stop for pic and she rolled her eyes and said no..."I have a match to play..." it's not so much what she said but how she said it...she was just nasty...this lady was like..."I hope you lose you bitch"....

Was Anna acting like a "nasty b*tch?" or was that "fan" pestering Anna and Anna was politely trying to get away?

I think the second scenario is much more likely.

Spiritof42
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Anna won 6 of 6 break points and on return points won 59% on 1st serve and 76% on 2nd serve. :yeah:
These are impressive stats. :eek: Let's hope Anna can play as well on her own serve.

TennisPlayingFox
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Very impressive scoreline Anna! Well done!

Wintermute
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:42 AM
"Chakvetadze was returning to the court after the rain delay and was just nasty to everyone...The chick she was playing stopped and posed for pics...

So wait a minute, this was not after the match but in the middle when they were going back on court? Well I probably wouldn't stop to sign autographs either! It's like how Lleyton Hewitt refuses to be interviewed in the tunnel before a big match - if a player is in the zone they don't want to be distracted by that. Perhaps this is why Bardina didn't win another game after the restart and Anna picked up just where she left off.

I can only speak from experience but Anna was nice to me when I met her and she signed an autograph. She also posed for photos with other fans. This was after she'd won her match.

Spiritof42
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:51 AM
This thread is from GM.

"Chakvetadze was returning to the court after the rain delay and was just nasty to everyone...The chick she was playing stopped and posed for pics...it was maybe four of us by the empty court cause nobody gave a shit about her...but the few of us who recognized her asked her to stop for pic and she rolled her eyes and said no..."I have a match to play..." it's not so much what she said but how she said it...she was just nasty...this lady was like..."I hope you lose you bitch"....

Was Anna acting like a "nasty b*tch?" or was that "fan" pestering Anna and Anna was politely trying to get away?

He would likely have gotten a friendler reaction from Anna if he'd asked her to pose AFTER her match instead of bothering her just as she's coming back to the court after a rain delay. Many players would have reacted in a similar way. They want to keep their focus on the task ahead. After reading this guy's replies, I have to say he comes across as a foul-mouthed, arrogant, and prejudiced idiot, so I don't think he deserves any favors from players anyway.

goldenlox
Mar 24th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Golovin beat Anna easily at the USO. Anna will have to play well.

hu2891601
Mar 24th, 2007, 04:49 AM
This thread is from GM.

oh, just don't bother with the GM crap :p they really shouldn't ask Anna for a pic before her match! :o

BUBI
Mar 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5018/annagolovinwb6.png

Time to get this even :cool:

smokovec
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Nice win against Bardina. :)

I remember the match against Tatiana in the US Open 2006, Anna play very bad, with many unforced error and she is never in the Match.

In the next Months Anna continue to improve, I'm confident that this Time she can take the Revenge, go Anna, play your game and you have great opportunities to win!

the cat
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
So wait a minute, this was not after the match but in the middle when they were going back on court? Well I probably wouldn't stop to sign autographs either! It's like how Lleyton Hewitt refuses to be interviewed in the tunnel before a big match - if a player is in the zone they don't want to be distracted by that. Perhaps this is why Bardina didn't win another game after the restart and Anna picked up just where she left off.

I can only speak from experience but Anna was nice to me when I met her and she signed an autograph. She also posed for photos with other fans. This was after she'd won her match.

I've never heard of a tennis player stopping to sign autographs on their way to play a match or resume a match. It doesn't happen because players are in their zones and don't want to be bothered by anything. But after the match is a different story and the winning player should sign some autographs.

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 25th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Good luck against Tati, I'm sure she'll be tough and motivated. We need some revenge for New York. Anna just never seemed focuesed enough in that match. I know she can beat Tati, but she'll need to play very well here! Good luck Princess! ;) :hearts:

cosmoose
Mar 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
oh, just don't bother with the GM crap :p they really shouldn't ask Anna for a pic before her match! :o

sigh. :sad: I guess Anna has hit the big time. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the foolish things said about Anna in GM.

hu2891601
Mar 25th, 2007, 02:09 AM
sigh. :sad: I guess Anna has hit the big time. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the foolish things said about Anna in GM.

i know! there're like 5 threads about they've met Anna ..:o since when are they so interested in Anna?? :rolleyes:

Anyways, GOOD LUCK Anna tomorrow!! :bounce:

Sund7101
Mar 25th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Good luck against Tati, you can do it Anna!

Wintermute
Mar 25th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I keep forgetting Miami is mandatory in the 17 best tourney results. It means Lena D has a zero and Anna is already provisionally back in the Top 10. A win against Tati will help her cement that place because there's a few other players trying to catch her up. It will be very hard but I think Anna can do it this time.

doris_hdz
Mar 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Go Anna!!!

Sharapower8
Mar 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Davai Anna!!
Good luck you can beat her ! :bounce:

Pink Princess
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Chakvetadze 6-1 3-2http://www.apinchofthis.com/forum/images/smilies/pink.gifhttp://www.apinchofthis.com/forum/images/smilies/pink.gifhttp://www.apinchofthis.com/forum/images/smilies/pink.gif

C'mon Anna:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Pink Princess
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Chakvetadze 6-1 *5-3

C'mon!!!:bigclap:

Pink Princess
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Anna won 6-1 6-3!!! YAY!!! Impeccable Victory!!!:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

BUBI
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:40 PM
6-1 6-3 :banana:
http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/bananas/047.gif
REVENGE from US Open :devil:

Wintermute
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think our Pink Princess is happy. ;)

Great result. Anna is playing up a storm in Miami. :D

KV
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Very awesome win :)

soul
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I dont want to say but I have told u ladies and gentelman that ANNA will definetely win this match because ANNA is more talented than Tatiana

Congratulations ANNA KEEP FIGHTING.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Good win. The draw is difficult, and Anna seems ready for it.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Anna :) :D
another good win :D :)
just gets better and better :)

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Excellent work Anna ;)

Spiritof42
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Way to go princess! :clap2:
Jankovic is in trouble against Santangelo right now. I'd rather Anna face the Italian :devil:

smokovec
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Congratulations Anna, nice win, with a perfect start in the first set.

Now Anna play against Santangelo, my favourite italian player, but I think that Anna can win and go in the QF.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Anna's draw opened up a little. Now she has to take advantage of it.

Pink Princess
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
To a step of the Quarters!!!

GeorgianFan
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM
6-1 6-3 prekrasno Anyta ti super:banana: :banana: :banana:

BUBI
Mar 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Didn't Anna & Mara play doubles together earlier this year and lose with double bagel? :haha:

Interesting match coming :devil:

hu2891601
Mar 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yay!! Anna WON! :banana: :bounce:

Good luck next round against Santangelo! :yeah:

Wintermute
Mar 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Didn't Anna & Mara play doubles together earlier this year and lose with double bagel? :haha:

I forgot about that. :lol: It was Hobart and they lost 6-0 6-1 to top seeds AMG/VRP.

I wasn't expecting her opponent to be Santangelo. Don't think they've played each other before.

GeorgianFan
Mar 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/1703/annamarapf5.png

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Anna should win this. If not, it's her worst loss in a very long time.

selyoink
Mar 26th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Well, now that Anna has easily dispatched of Tati I'll be rooting for her the rest of the way. She better not lose to Santangelo.

Sund7101
Mar 26th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Great match from Anna today against Tati.

She should be able to beat Mara pretty easily in straight sets. Good Luck Anna!!!

Wintermute
Mar 26th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Anna's match is about to start. Didn't realise it was scheduled so soon. Good luck Anna!

GeorgianFan
Mar 26th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Mara - Anna 1-3 Cmoooooooooooooooon:bounce: :rocker:

GeorgianFan
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Mara - Anna 1-6 0-0:devil:

BUBI
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Go Anna :shout:

Marat Safin fan
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:24 PM
she's forgotten how to serve..Oh God why!

BUBI
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM
6-1 5-4 :bounce:

Marat Safin fan
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:45 PM
she won 6:1 7:5! lets hope Vera can knacker out Henin! It does break my heart but i'm pretty sure that's who Anna will be playing :(

Marat Safin fan
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM
opps Anna should actually be playing Kim.....oooh that would be a good match!

GeorgianFan
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Anna - Mara 6-1 7-5 :devil: :worship: :bounce: http://www.animac.ru/smiles/invision/110.gif

soul
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Havent I told u that Annna will win staright sets and at the very beginning I told that She would pass these matches easily.

Weeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Dooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeee

ANNA:worship:

AGAINST MARA 6-1 7-5:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wintermute
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Another good result.

I thought Anna would romp away with this. But she got to 40-0 up for a 3-0 lead in the second and then started having trouble finding a first serve. Mara really started to attack the 2nd serve and managed to level up. The wind must definitely have been a big factor. Mara made seven double faults to Anna's one.

But when Anna got her first serve in she really dominated and luckily she avoided the tiebreaker.

A great tournament for Anna so far.

BUBI
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM
6-1 6-0, 6-1 6-3, 6-1 7-5... It's getting tougher!

KV
Mar 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Comfortably through to QF's. :)

Pink Princess
Mar 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Anna won to Quarters!!!:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

hu2891601
Mar 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
YAY!!! Anna WON again!! :banana: :bounce:

Good luck next round against Li!! :yeah:

BUBI
Mar 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Anna will play Na Li in quarterfinal... will be interesting match :bounce:

Wintermute
Mar 26th, 2007, 08:47 PM
According to Cellophane in the GM, in her 4th round against Clijsters "Na had 37 winners against 53 errors, so not amazing stats by any means..."

It will be a really tough match but if Anna can keep the errors under control I think she has a good shot.

GeorgianFan
Mar 26th, 2007, 09:29 PM
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5858/chackvsnaliap6.jpg

hu2891601
Mar 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm sure Anna will win! and I really wanna see her play Henin! ;)

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Getting to the quarters is good, but Anna can win this too

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Great job Anna! :worship:

Good luck in the quarters against Na! ;)

TennisPlayingFox
Mar 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Nice win Anna! good luck against Na!

Wintermute
Mar 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Schedule's out:

Stadium Court: 11:00 AM Start
1. Women's Singles: Quarterfinals
Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) [9] vs. Na Li (CHN) [15]

It's an early one.

selyoink
Mar 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Good win for Anna today. Tomorrow will be very tough but I think Anna should win. Her game should coax a lot of errors from Na. As long as Na's good patches are not more substantial then her bad patches Anna will win.

Spiritof42
Mar 27th, 2007, 02:26 AM
According to Cellophane in the GM, in her 4th round against Clijsters "Na had 37 winners against 53 errors, so not amazing stats by any means..."

It will be a really tough match but if Anna can keep the errors under control I think she has a good shot.

Li is quick and has powerful ground strokes, but she also hits a ton of UE more often than not. Another player who can only play one way (unlike Anna). After watching her completely self-destruct against Hantuchova in Indian Wells, I'm confident Anna can win this by using her superior variety of shots. A good 1st serve % will also help, since Anna's 2nd serve can be rather vulnerable.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:40 AM
:D Well done Anna :hearts: :worship: Good win for Anna today :hearts:

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Good luck against Li Na :kiss: :cool:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Anna :yeah:
another straight forward win :banana: :)

now go make the semis ;) :kiss:

Sharapower8
Mar 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Good luck Anna you're gonna beat her ! we trust you :kiss:

soul
Mar 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM
It is good that is an earl match. Na played three stteres and maybe fatigue can affect her but apart from all this Anna will win this match
Good luck ANNA

GeorgianFan
Mar 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Chaky - LI 3-3 Go Anna you can do it:bounce:

GeorgianFan
Mar 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Chakvetadze - Na Li 4-6 0-0 :scared:

Wintermute
Mar 27th, 2007, 04:59 PM
They were actually level on points won at the end of the first set. But Anna didn't save any of her break points while Na saved three.

GeorgianFan
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Chakvetadze - Na Li 4-6 2-3 go Anna it's Time:bounce:

GeorgianFan
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Chakvetadze - Na Li 4-6 6-5 Just hooooolllllld:bounce:

KV
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Good Anna just hold now :)

GeorgianFan
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Chakvetadze - Na Li 4-6 7-5 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wintermute
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Amazing fightback to win that set. Anna was really on the brink a couple of times. If she could get her first serve % up in the third it would really help her.

doris_hdz
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Go Anna!!

GeorgianFan
Mar 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Chakvetadze - Na li 4-6 7-5 5-2 :devil:

Marat Safin fan
Mar 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM
serving for the match i'm sooo nervous I can hardly breathe!

Marat Safin fan
Mar 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Match point 2!!!!!!

Pink Princess
YAY ANNA IN SEMIS!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Chakvetadze The Best!!!:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

GeorgianFan
Victory

Chakvetadze - Na Li 4-6 7-5 6-2 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

You are a real fighter Annnnnna!!!:worship:

Marat Safin fan
6:2 final set!!! excellent, I'm sooo happy :)

KV
Mar 27th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Great fightback into SF's :bounce: :)

Wintermute
Mar 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM
:woohoo:

I was so nervous at the end when it came on TV. Anna was really fired up. A great win. She's in the semis of a Super-Tier I!

I don't know who I'd prefer to see her play next - Petrova or Henin. Nadia I suppose, although Justine doesn't really like playing here.

Points-wise Anna is now closing the gap to Jankovic at #9. :)

cosmoose
Mar 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Great victory Anna!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_a.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_n.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_n.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_a.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_ausr.gif

BUBI
Mar 27th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Anna is a fighter :worship:

Amazing win... Anna was very fired up! :banana:

Spiritof42
Mar 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM
:bigclap: :woohoo: :clap2: :aparty:
Anna is through!!!
I couldn't follow the match because the scoreboard wasn't working (found out about other websites too late) and ESPN went out of their way NOT to show the end of the match, showing Murray vs Mathieu instead :banghead:
From what I gather, Anna really fought her way back into the match! :worship:
If only Maria could have done the same against S. Williams... :mad:

73 UE from Li Na? :eek: I was half-expecting this sort of thing, but still...
I'd definitely prefer Petrova over Henin. Anna has Nadia's number! :devil: She'll probably face Juju though.

Spiritof42
Mar 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_a.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_n.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_n.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_a.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/trave_abc/smilie_ausr.gif
Cute! :yeah:

selyoink
Mar 27th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Anna did exactly what she needed to. She hung in there and allowed the errors to creep into Na's game.

GeorgianFan
Mar 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5947/statsyi5.jpg

hu2891601
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
YAY!!!! I was sleeping when Anna's playing, kinda glad now, cause I would've gotten a heart attack! :lol:

anyways, Anna WON AGAIN!! :yeah: :bounce:

Good luck next round against Henin!!! :yeah:

Wintermute
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Like it. :D

Sharapower8
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Great match !! Great victory !! C'mon Anna :bounce:

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Anna is so consistent. Back in the top 10, probably for years.

TennisPlayingFox
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Very nice win Anna! Good luck in the semis!

smokovec
Mar 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM
A great fight-back for Anna, after losing the First set.

Good Luck now for the next Match, probably against Henin.

soul
Mar 27th, 2007, 10:23 PM
That is it. I told that she would win it and she won it.THia is the big step for Anna and untill now she has done everything right
WEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL DDOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEE ANNNA

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hant11
Mar 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Highlights Chakvetadze / LI

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1k7fd_highchakvetadzeli27-03-07

Sund7101
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Way to keep fighting Anna, onto the semis--Yeah ANNA!!!

NyCPsU
Mar 28th, 2007, 12:37 AM
:bigclap::bigclap: i really like her chances in the semis regardless of who she plays :D

amazing tourney for anna and shes got a good padding of points going now that she will start defending some more regularly in the next few weeks ;)

ive always said anna would be more consistent and more of a force than jankovic would be and i think its starting to ring true...anna has done well to climb up the ranks playing a smart schedule and i dont see her leaving the top10 for a long long time :drool:

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 28th, 2007, 01:08 AM
:woohoo:

Well done Anna :kiss: :hug:

Yet, another really amazing tournament for Anna :cool:

Spiritof42
Mar 28th, 2007, 04:50 AM
So it's going to be Anna vs Henin on Thursday. They've met only once, at last year's Wimbledon, Henin winning easily (6-2 6-3). But Anna has improved since then. I expect a close match, probably a three-setter. It would be awesome if Anna could pull this off! :bounce:

cosmoose
Mar 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I'm sure Anna will win! and I really wanna see her play Henin! ;)

You got your wish!
If Anna loses, we all know whose fault it is. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-004.gif

BUBI
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Anna is so consistent. Back in the top 10, probably for years.

I hope you're right :D

Her serve looked pretty good in third set...she has improved I think :cool: and she was really fighting well. It was like the end of the world always when she lost a point and when she hit a winner she made almost serena-like fist pumps :hearts: It was a matter of life and death. She is a winner type :angel:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 28th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Go Anna:bounce:

soul
Mar 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Whaever happens against Henin,Anna has proved how a talented, how a big fighter and a top ten player.She wil be talked a lot in the future.This turnament opened a new chapter of Anna 's tennis career.
Everything will be beatiful on the side of Anna from now on.

Sund7101
Mar 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I'm so excited for Anna's match against Justine. She'll have to serve well and if she does she has a good chance. The crowd will be heavily on her side, we'll see. :)

Wintermute
Mar 28th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Stadium: 11:00 AM Start
1. Women's Doubles: Quarterfinals
Lisa Raymond (USA)/Samantha Stosur (AUS) [1] vs. Emilie Loit (FRA)/Nicole Pratt (AUS)

Not Before 1:00 PM
2. Women's Singles: Semifinals
Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) [9] vs. Justine Henin (BEL) [2]

UDACHi
Mar 29th, 2007, 02:53 AM
good luck tomorrow, anna. she's definitely a huge underdog, but justine isn't exactly great in miami, so anything is possible.

selyoink
Mar 29th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Justine is not in the greatest form so Anna definitely has a chance tomorrow. I hope she is able to win.

Wintermute
Mar 29th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Looks like British Eurosport aren't showing Anna's match live. :fiery: They have cycling and rally driving on instead.

It's a shame considering they've had live matches all week, to bail now at the semis. I think they'll show Anna's match later in the evening though.

BUBI
Mar 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Looks like British Eurosport aren't showing Anna's match live. :fiery: They have cycling and rally driving on instead.

It's a shame considering they've had live matches all week, to bail now at the semis. I think they'll show Anna's match later in the evening though.
That's weird because Eurosport website & text-tv still says it's going to start in an hour :confused:
But other sources say tennis starts two hours later than that! You can never trust eurosport to keep in schedule :(
I'm watching scandinavian Eurosport, maybe they show it..

Hant11
Mar 29th, 2007, 05:32 PM
eurosport france will show it i think (in 30min)

Wintermute
Mar 29th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Well I'll check it out just in case. Otherwise I'm watching the scoreboard. :rolleyes:

BUBI
Mar 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM
My Eurosport will show it :banana::hearts:

GeorgianFan
Mar 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM
My too:bounce:

Good Luck Anna vpiriod za pobeduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BUBI
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Anna only one set & one break behind :shout:

BUBI
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:23 PM
2-6 3-6 :(

For those who didn't see it, consider yourself lucky, this was the worst I've ever seen Anna play...

Wintermute
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
:sad:

Perhaps it's good I couldn't watch the match live. It sounds like Anna played quite poorly. The scoreline is the same as their previous meeting at Wimbledon last year. Where was the improvement nine months later?

GeorgianFan
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Anna lost 2-6 3-6:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

BUBI
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
:sad:

Perhaps it's good I couldn't watch the match live. It sounds like Anna played quite poorly. The scoreline is the same as their previous meeting at Wimbledon last year. Where was the improvement nine months later?
No improvement at all if you look only this match. This was even worse than 2005-Anna. She had a very very bad day :sad:

GeorgianFan
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4247/annaresultstk7.jpg

smokovec
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
A bad Day for Anna, she start play at the end of the Match, too late.

But, great Tournament, a semifinal in a Tier I like Miami is very good.

Wintermute
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah, gotta be positive. Anna has made the semis in the biggest Tier I and she's back in the Top 10. :D

And I'm gonna choose to ignore some of the shit people are posting in the GM right now...

smokovec
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah, gotta be positive. Anna has made the semis in the biggest Tier I and she's back in the Top 10. :D

And I'm gonna choose to ignore some of the shit people are posting in the GM right now...

I expected a lot more from Anna.

Poor people in GM threads, no answers needed!

The big answer come in the next Years (I hope).

BUBI
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Yes. Still a good tournament. The draw supposed to be very tough, she was supposed to beat Jankovic & Clijsters to make the semis. But they couldn't beat the opponents that Anna DID beat :lol:
But it seems like Anna is still not ready for big matches...

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
A very good tournament for Anna. Now a solid top 10er.

hu2891601
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:58 PM
:sad: How can she play this badly...... I really thought she's got a shot at Henin! :sad:

oh, well, now take a rest and play better next time... afterall, who would've thought that Anna's the one came out of that quarter of the draw.. :lol:

selyoink
Mar 29th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Terrible performance from Anna. I expected a very close match since Justine has not been playing all that well. Disappointing stuff from Anna today. She will need to do better against the top players in the future.

doris_hdz
Mar 29th, 2007, 11:23 PM
pOOR aNNA!!

Wintermute
Mar 29th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I couldn't help myself and watched some of Eurosport's replay of the match. It was probably the worst Anna's played this year. I'm not sure if the wind was having an effect and she wasn't showing signs of nerves - it was just a bad day at the office. She showed a few glimpses of what she could do near the end but all too late.

I thought it was quite cute when Anna got the two line calls in a row overturned with Hawkeye and she couldn't stop herself from smiling. :)

I also notice that after the match was over as she was walking off court she stopped to sign autographs. That's very sweet of her considering how she just lost, not many players would do it. :hug:

hu2891601
Mar 30th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Does anyone have Anna's interview after the match?

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 30th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Nice event Anna :kiss: :hug:

Great improvements already, on last years results! :hearts:

cosmoose
Mar 30th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Anna looked so frustrated...maybe even tired. She just kept ball in play and played defensively. sigh.

I won't dare take a peak in GM to see what of smack everyone says about Anna. :mad:
Everyone here knows Anna can play much better.

In a way, I'm not that disappointed that Anna lost.
Imagine Anna at her current form go against the BEAST! (aka Serena ;) ) That would not be a pretty sight. :lol:

cosmoose
Mar 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I also notice that after the match was over as she was walking off court she stopped to sign autographs. That's very sweet of her considering how she just lost, not many players would do it. :hug:

So much for "Anna is a stone cold bitch" argument. :fiery:
For the record, Anna is a sweetie pie. End of story.
http://smackforum.net/images/smilies/bunny.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Manga/tennis-047.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Manga/cheerleaders-008.gif

hu2891601
Mar 30th, 2007, 06:19 AM
So much for "Anna is a stone cold bitch" argument. :fiery:
For the record, Anna is a sweetie pie. End of story.
http://smackforum.net/images/smilies/bunny.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Manga/tennis-047.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Manga/cheerleaders-008.gif

LOL, i'm stealing your emoticons! :bolt: :lol:

and the GM's occupied by the Sisters and Sharapova fans, :fiery: we shall just hide here! :lol: :tape:

Spiritof42
Mar 30th, 2007, 06:23 AM
:sad: x 100!

Anna has to be disappointed with her performance today. I know I am. She was clearly the underdog going in, but she just didn't play nearly well enough to pose a threat to Henin. During the warm-up, my first thought was: "I hope Anna isn't as nervous as I am, or she'll be in trouble". She did seem tight to me. I don't recall seeing her mishit so many 1st serves with the frame, and she looked tentative more than once. She was overly cautious. The fact that Juju started the match well didn't help. Anna raised her level with her back to the wall, when there was basically no pressure, but it was too little too late.

The happiest moment for me was Anna's reaction after successfully challenging 2 calls in a row near the beginning of the 2nd set. She looked so :hearts: ! Unfortunately, Henin proceeded to ruin the moment immediately by hitting a couple of aces :mad:

So yes, basically, it was a bad day at the office. Anna looked almost embarrassed when she waved at the crowd during her exit. She knows she can play much better. ESPN cut it off before she stopped to sign autographs. So sweet of her! :hug:

On a more positive note, reaching the semis in Miami IS a great result. Anna beat every player she was supposed to beat. And she's back in the top 10.

About GM: the less said, the better :tape: :armed:

NyCPsU
Mar 30th, 2007, 06:55 AM
anna def didnt play well, but thats np...experience gained is well worth it and shes a solid top 10er for a while :D

2007 has been awesome so far and Anna is still on the up and up :D

Spiritof42
Mar 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Here's Anna's post match interview. I have to say I'm a bit worried after reading this. I hope she'll get a full medical check-up in Moscow to determine whether there's anything wrong with her health (I'm thinking of Mario Ancic, who's currently sidelined by mononucleosis if I'm not mistaken). Anna is very honest, but also very hard on herself. :eek: That loss to Peer in Indian Wells affected her more than I thought. Taking a break will hopefully help her get back on her feet.
We want a healthy and confident Anna for the European clay season! :hug:

Anna Chakvetadze Interview - 3.29.07

J. HENIN/A. Chakvetadze
6 2, 6 3

An interview with:

ANNA CHAKVETADZE

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What was your strategy going into the match?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: When you play the way I played today, you know, it's not even the strategy to think if you can't hit more than three balls over the net. It's your problem, so, yeah.

Q. Why didn't you play that well today?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Well, I think Justine played pretty solid today, but I don't know, I just felt very tired. I felt I couldn't run. You know, something wrong happened, and actually, I'm still pleased with the result because I had no confidence when I came here, after I played one of my worst matches this year, and I didn't have confidence at all.
And the goal for me was pass one round. And when I passed it I just felt a little bit better. Then second round, Golovin, also pretty easy, I was surprised.
Yeah, it's still a good result, but I'm just feeling that I'm not in a good shape right now.

Q. It's strange, because you are coming into Top 10 and you turned around?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Yeah, I know, that's strange. If I would feel good then maybe I would be Top 5. But no, the thing is that of course I got lucky with the draw. It was very tough match for me against Na Li, she just didn't use her opportunities, that why I won. It was very lucky, so yeah, I'm happy it was a semifinal.
But today in the match, Justine, she was controlling all games. She just start to miss a little bit in the end of the second set, so I won a few more games.

Q. You're not giving yourself much credit?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: No, not really, but I am telling the truth.

Q. You always tell the truth?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Well, I'm trying to.

Q. Can you explain how you improved so much in one year?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Well, I just got more confidence, you know, against top players. I got confidence after I won my first tournament in China. And then the next week I won a home tournament in Kremlin Cup in Moscow. Yeah, I beat like three Top 10 players, and after that I just felt that I can play better and better.

Q. You have no coach?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: No, my dad is with me here, and my hitting partner.

Q. Why? Don't you want to have a coach?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: I actually was practicing before Indian Wells with Robert Lansdorp in L.A., and I liked it a lot. But he can't travel, so probably I'll go to see him later when I go play US Open series.

Q. Did he teach something special to you?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Well, I don't know, maybe. Something special? He had great players; he was coaching Sharapova, Myskina, and Sampras, I don't know. He doesn't like to compare. I liked it, you know, he's very nice guy, and we practice good together.

Q. Did you feel flat from the very beginning of the match? Like could you see that I'm just not feeling like I'm going to have my rhythm today?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Yes, as I said, I don't know why I felt tired. I didn't run, and I was not in the match today. Yeah, but you know, sometimes this happens and I look forward to playing on clay courts.

Q. Did you feel that in the warm up before the match?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: I actually felt like today, yeah, I felt it actually yesterday that I'm a little bit tired. I was a little bit dizzy in the evening, but I felt maybe I would get through that, but no.

Q. What do you expect for the next tournament?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Well, I'm going back home and I'm going

Q. In Russia?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: In Russia, yes, in Moscow. I'm going to play Fed Cup and practice on clay, outdoors. Then I play Warsaw Berlin, Rome, week off and then French Open. We'll see how it goes.

Q. Just a word about Justine. She seems to be much less powerful than a lot of other players, and she's No. 1. What has she got that the others maybe don't have?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Well, she plays she sees the ball very good, you know. She likes when someone hit flat against her. Well, all girls mostly playing like that, that's how I played today as well, I don't know why. It's not my style of the game.
Well, yeah, she's a great champion. I don't know. They look a little bit similar with no, she hit actually flatter than Mauresmo does. But they both have one hand backhand and serve pretty good, so yeah.
They don't play the same tennis as others play. Because usually girls play very flat, and powerful, and Justine, she can mix her game. That's why she's No. 1.

Q. Do you think you can come in the Top 5 this year?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Well, hopefully. That's my goal, yeah. I'll try to do my best this year. Hopefully I will play better.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

hu2891601
Mar 30th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks so much, Spiritof42!!! :yeah:

Anna :hug: i hope she's OK.. and i really hope she can get over the bad losses faster, even Federer loses :lol: so she shouldn't remember one loss that well.... especially since she's playing well all season. and now I think that a long break is very necessary for her!

BUBI
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Q. You always tell the truth?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: Well, I'm trying to.
What kind of question is that? :lol:

Q. Did you feel that in the warm up before the match?
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: I actually felt like today, yeah, I felt it actually yesterday that I'm a little bit tired. I was a little bit dizzy in the evening, but I felt maybe I would get through that, but no.

You must rest, Anna :hug:

hu2891601
Mar 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: In Russia, yes, in Moscow. I'm going to play Fed Cup and practice on clay, outdoors. Then I play Warsaw Berlin, Rome, week off and then French Open. We'll see how it goes.

Does this mean Anna will be on the FedCup team? or she's just making herself available? cause i read a thread in the GM that they are still choosing among Anna, Safina, and Zvonareva??:confused:

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Anna was dizzy

Wintermute
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM
From that press conference I'd say Anna thought she was gonna lose before the match. At least she went out and gave it a shot. Hopefully she is just tired and it's nothing worse. She'll get a nice chance to go home and rest now.

Anna is typically very hard on herself. But it just means that she sets very high goals for herself and works her socks off to achieve them.
ANNA CHAKVETADZE: In Russia, yes, in Moscow. I'm going to play Fed Cup and practice on clay, outdoors. Then I play Warsaw Berlin, Rome, week off and then French Open. We'll see how it goes.Perhaps she's letting slip some info about the Fed Cup squad.

And good to see she's not going back to Istanbul.

Wintermute
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:26 PM
Shamil Tarpishchev says Anna is the 4th member of the Fed Cup squad. :)

Eurosport (http://www.eurosport.ru/tennis/fed-cup-world-group-i/2007/sport_sto1135159.shtml)

GeorgianFan
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:53 PM
1. Maria

2. Sveta

3. Nadia

4. Anyta:bounce: http://www.animac.ru/smiles/invision/173.gif

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:05 PM
That's good. She'll probably play in this tie

hu2891601
Mar 31st, 2007, 09:16 PM
YAY!! Anna's on the Fed cup team! :bounce: :yeah:

Are they still gonna let Sharapova to play #1 single? hope she can serve this time :help: :lol:

cosmoose
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:01 AM
Yay Anna! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/travesmilies/flaggen1/smilie_flagge15.gif

As for Masha's serve, call http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Transports/ambulance-016.gif

andrewbroad
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:40 AM
==================
SONY ERICSSON OPEN (Miami, Florida, USA; outdoor hard; WTA Tier I)
================== http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/ (http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/)

ANNA CHAKVETADZE [9,EF]:
1r bye
2r + Vasilisa Bardina, 6-1 6-0
3r + TATIANA GOLOVIN [17,DF], 6-1 6-3
4r + MARA SANTANGELO [32], 6-1 7-5
qf + LI,NA [15], 4-6 7-5 6-2
sf - JUSTINE HENIN [2], 2-6 3-6

Anna had some luck with Jelena Janković [7] and Kim Clijsters [4] losing in the rounds before she would have played them, but it's still a great achievement to reach the semi-finals of a Super Tier I, and her scorelines were just great in her first five sets!

Then she got tired, as she emphasises in her latest diary-entry (30th March) at www.theannachakvetadze.com (http://www.theannachakvetadze.com/) (can't wait for the Tennis Week photoshoot, but 5 hours to put on a few clothes and take a few photos? :tape:)

Anna said in her semi-final press-conference that she came into this tournament with no confidence. This surprises me, because I think she's had a very good start to the year apart from her upset by Shahar Pe'er at Indian Wells. But she's very ambitious, and certainly has a much higher standing in the game than a year ago. She rarely loses to lesser players anymore, and has the class to compensate broken confidence.

Anna seems to have less confidence in herself than I do in her, and looks so miserable on the court while I enjoy watching her so much. Perhaps it's all just a façade to lull her opponents into a false sense of security - in which case, hats off to her!

This result moves Anna back up to her career-high ranking of #10 - hopefully this time for much longer than one week! With 1847 points she's just ahead of #11 Serena Williams (1769), but is even closer to #9 Janković (1867).

------
Photos
------

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=chakvetadze (http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=chakvetadze)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=280396&page=12 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=280396&page=12)
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20070327180219.html (http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20070327180219.html) (qf)
http://www.tennis.info/Miami7.html (http://www.tennis.info/Miami7.html) (Third round - day 1, Quarterfinals, Semifinals)
Search Getty Images for "chakvetadze"

Sonja's Miami-photos (various players including Anna in Post #23):
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=291289 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=291289)

-----
Video
-----

Quarter-final (Chakvetadze v Li) highlights (4˝ minutes):
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10385634 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10385634)

Judging by these highlights, I don't think Anna played particularly well in her quarter-final. Although her strokes were lovely to watch, she seemed to have less power than the other times I've seen her play in the last year, and in the first half of the match (Anna was 4-6 1-3* down), it was Li taking the initiative and hitting winners.

But what Anna lacked in power that day, she made up for in placement, and I guess that's how she turned it around. It was more like watching Martina Hingis than watching Anna Chakvetadze!

------------
Second round (Friday 23rd March)
------------

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [9,EF] d. Vasilisa Bardina, 6-1 6-0

It was a repeat of the Hobart-final, which Anna won 6-3 7-6 (7/3). This time, Anna made light work of her 19-year-old Russian compatriot (it's so strange to think that Anna is no longer 19), converting all 6 break-points she had.

Wintermute (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10351164):
>>>
Match is currently suspended by rain with Anna leading 6-1 2-0 0-15*

The match started with three consecutive breaks of serve. In fact no-one has saved a break point so far. Apart from that it's been fairly easy for Anna. She seems to be returning very well.

She double faulted on her second set point but that's excusable, 6-1 is a good score. She looked to be really getting into a nice groove when it started raining. Hopefully she can continue it on the restart.
<<<

-----------
Third round (Sunday 25th March)
-----------

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [9,EF] d. TATIANA GOLOVIN [17,DF], 6-1 6-3

It's only right that Anna should have beaten Tatiana, because when I evaluated them both last December, Anna was the only one whom I inducted into my Eternal Fanship. Anna's tennis is wonderfully flairsome, while Tatiana often plays too passively, and it looks so laboured.

But I've had a soft spot for Tatiana ever since 2004, when she was a gorgeous, slim 16-year-old who sashayed around the court in sexy microshorts. She's put on a lot of bulk since then, but can still be very attractive.

I have to feel sorry for Tatiana, because she was defending a semi-final here - an amazing match in which she came back from 3-6 1-5* down against Maria Sharapova to take the match to a third set, where she suffered a horrific ankle-sprain at 3-4* and had to retire in tears.

Anna's victory avenges a 3-6 2-6 loss to Tatiana in 4r US Open 2006, and levels their head-to-head at 2:2.

------------
Fourth round (Monday 26th March)
------------

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [9,EF] d. MARA SANTANGELO [32], 6-1 7-5

Wintermute (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10375382):
>>>
I thought Anna would romp away with this. But she got to 40-0 up for a 3-0 lead in the second and then started having trouble finding a first serve. Mara really started to attack the 2nd serve and managed to level up. The wind must definitely have been a big factor. Mara made seven double faults to Anna's one.

But when Anna got her first serve in she really dominated and luckily she avoided the tiebreaker.
<<<

--------------
Quarter-finals (Tuesday 27th March)
--------------

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [9,EF] d. LI,NA [15], 4-6 7-5 6-2

Li is a go-for-broke player who makes many winners and unforced errors, and she made 73 of the latter against Anna, who fought back from 4-6 1-3* to win!

Anna's victory avenges a 5-7 3-6 loss in 2r French Open 2006, and puts her 2:1 up in her head-to-head against Li.

Gao,Shenyang (deputy-director of the China Tennis Association) describes Li's game as follows: "She has a strong forehand-attack, but a lack of variety and is weak in net-play. So if the opponent withstands her first attacks, she becomes impatient. It is not simply a mental problem."

Spiritof42 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10379277) {before the match}:
>>>
Li is quick and has powerful ground strokes, but she also hits a ton of UE more often than not. Another player who can only play one way (unlike Anna). After watching her completely self-destruct against Hantuchova in Indian Wells, I'm confident Anna can win this by using her superior variety of shots. A good 1st serve % will also help, since Anna's 2nd serve can be rather vulnerable.
<<<

Wintermute (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10382603) {after the first set}:
>>>
They were actually level on points won at the end of the first set. But Anna didn't save any of her break points while Na saved three.
<<<

www.wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com):
>>>
On Tuesday, the No.9-seeded Russian battled back from a set and 3-1 down against No.15-seeded Chinese trailblazer Li Na to win in three sets, 4-6 7-5 6-2.
<<<

soup (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10388320):
>>>
Her serve looked pretty good in third set...she has improved I think :cool: and she was really fighting well. It was like the end of the world always when she lost a point and when she hit a winner she made almost serena-like fist pumps :hearts: It was a matter of life and death. She is a winner type :angel:
<<<

-----------
Semi-finals (Thursday 29th March)
-----------

- ANNA CHAKVETADZE [9,EF] lt. JUSTINE HENIN [2], 2-6 3-6

It was the first Miami semi-final for both of them, but Anna was not only tired, she was up against someone who has won five Grand Slam titles - someone who is now spending her 59th week ranked #1.

Having seen Anna's Wimbledon 2006 match against Henin, but not their Miami match, I'd say the improvement is simply that we now consider it an exceptionally bad day at the office that she lost 6-2 6-3, whereas at Wimbledon, I was like, "Anna played okay, but desperately disappointing by Eternal Fanship standards - I think she could have done more." She's of a different stature now.

Previews
--------

>>>
{Tuesday 27th March}
Another fruit of Henin's labour here is her ever-extending 2007 win-streak; this [quarter-final] win was her 12th in a row, eight of them coming in her Middle Eastern sweep at Dubai and Doha, and four coming here. Prior to Miami, there was a tie between Kim Clijsters, Jelena Janković and Anna Chakvetadze for longest streak, with nine.

Chakvetadze, who put together that run by winning Hobart (5:0) and reaching her first major quarter-final in Melbourne (4:1), will be Henin's semi-final opponent.

Henin and Chakvetadze have played just once before, with the Belgian winning in two easy sets, 6-2 6-3, in the third round of Wimbledon last summer. But it is a different Chakvetadze now; the Russian, who just turned 20 years old, has had seven of her eight career top-ten wins since that match, and also made her début in the top ten earlier this year, having been a much-lower No.34 at Wimbledon.

{Wednesday 28th March}
First up in the afternoon-session is current world No.1 Justine Henin taking on Russian rising star Anna Chakvetadze. Although she has won five Grand Slams and is currently spending her 58th non-consecutive week at the top of the rankings, Henin is playing the Miami semi-finals for the first time. Chakvetadze is in the same situation at this event. The two have played once before, with the Belgian winning, 6-2 6-3, in the third round of Wimbledon last year. But the Russian is a much more dangerous player now than she was then; she has had seven top-ten wins since that match, and also made her own top-ten début in February.
<<<

Sandra Harwitt (http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/content/20070328205918.html):
>>>
Not only is Justine Henin safely into today's Sony Ericsson Open semi-finals, but she's also secure in terms of holding on to her world No. 1 ranking when the new WTA Tour rankings are released this coming Monday.

Henin, 24, has won many prestigious titles, but she's still two matches away from the possibility of winning her first career Sony Ericsson Open trophy. Henin's best previous results here have been two quarter-final finishes in 2003 and 2005.

The Belgian has only played three tournaments this year – she skipped the Australian summer season in January for personal reasons. In those three tournaments, she won Dubai and Doha – obviously the Middle East agrees with Henin. She also reached the semi-finals at Paris.

In possession of one of the best one-handed backhands in the business, Henin has won 31 career-titles. She's won five Grand Slam trophies, with only a Wimbledon-title missing from her collection of majors.

Henin is the type of personality that likes to live on the edge in order to experience a thrill. Away from the tennis-court, the only activity that she's found that gives her as strong a sense of a thrill is skydiving, which she has done at least 19 times.

As for her opponent today, Anna Chakvetadze, who is ranked No. 11 in the world, it's not known if she needs to skydive to get that exhilarating feeling. But fans could imagine that a first career-victory over Henin - who beat her the one time they played, in the 2006 Wimbledon third round - would deliver an exhilarating sensation.

Chakvetadze, 20, has won three career-titles, including the Hobart-title earlier this year. She's also reached the semi-finals at Antwerp and here in Miami, as well as the quarter-finals at the Australian Open and Paris the past three months.

Henin prefers to skydive rather than take a nosedive, so fans can expect the Belgian to beat a path to her first career Sony Ericsson Open final.
<<<

Match-reports
-------------

>>>
Henin was the first to advance during the afternoon session, dismissing young Russian Anna Chakvetadze easily, 6-2 6-3. It was an identical score to their only prior duel, at Wimbledon last year.

The No.9-seeded Chakvetadze never developed a winning game-plan against the No.2-seeded Henin, her normally consistent style breaking apart upon the Belgian's variety of spins and slices, as well as frequent rushes to the net.

With such a wide variety of shot, Henin's greatest strength is hard to pinpoint. In addition to her powerful topspin-forehand, fluid one-handed backhand, spins and an impeccable touch at the net, she is perhaps most renowned for her tough mentality; the Belgian agreed that this last attribute was best.
<<<

Steve Keating for Reuters:
>>>
World number one Justine Henin stormed into the final of the Sony Ericsson Open on Thursday with a crushing 6-2 6-3 win over Russian Anna Chakvetadze.

After missing the early part of the season following her split with husband Pierre-Yves Hardenne, Henin has been almost unbeatable, and has now reached her third consecutive final after collecting back-to-back titles in Dubai and Doha.

Henin, who has lost just once in 16 matches this season, was never seriously challenged by her ninth-seeded Russian opponent, who was broken five times and managed to hold serve just three times in the entire match.
<<<

Agence France Presse (AFP):
>>>
Henin, 24, fired five aces and broke serve five times to defeat 11th-ranked Chakvetadze, 20, in 71 minutes, denying the Russian her second final of the year. Chakvetadze earlier won the title at Hobart.
<<<

Steven Wine, AP Sports Writer:
>>>
The top-ranked Henin is a five-time Grand Slam champion, but until this year she had never advanced beyond the quarter-finals at Key Biscayne. She says she dislikes the island's windy weather, and tends to play poorly in March because it's the anniversary of her mother's death.

Henin said she has been hindered during the tournament by a breathing-problem - possibly allergies - and is taking medication. She barely survived the third round, overcoming a 1-5 deficit in the third set to beat Virginie Razzano.

But against the ninth-seeded Chakvetadze, Henin took charge from the start.

The latest Russian to crack the women's top 10, Chakvetadze played tentatively early, and lost the first set in 33 minutes. In the second set, serving at 40/0, she lost five consecutive points to fall behind 0-2.

Henin hit consecutive aces to close out the next game, and saved some of her most aggressive groundstrokes for the final few games. Chakvetadze lost 20 of 35 points on her first serve, and was broken five times.

Henin reached every major final last year. She's 15:1 this year, but skipped the Australian Open in January because she was going through a separation.
<<<

soup <1 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10398438), 2 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10398461)>:
>>>
For those who didn't see it, consider yourself lucky, this was the worst I've ever seen Anna play...
<<<>>>
This was even worse than 2005-Anna. She had a very very bad day :sad:
<<<

Wintermute (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10400049):
>>>
I couldn't help myself and watched some of Eurosport's replay of the match. It was probably the worst Anna's played this year. I'm not sure if the wind was having an effect and she wasn't showing signs of nerves - it was just a bad day at the office. She showed a few glimpses of what she could do near the end but all too late.

I thought it was quite cute when Anna got the two line calls in a row overturned with Hawkeye and she couldn't stop herself from smiling. :)

<<<

cosmoose (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10401680):
>>>
Anna looked so frustrated...maybe even tired. She just kept ball in play and played defensively. sigh.
<<<

Spiritof42 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=10401774):
>>>
Anna has to be disappointed with her performance today. I know I am. She was clearly the underdog going in, but she just didn't play nearly well enough to pose a threat to Henin. During the warm-up, my first thought was: "I hope Anna isn't as nervous as I am, or she'll be in trouble". She did seem tight to me. I don't recall seeing her mishit so many 1st serves with the frame, and she looked tentative more than once. She was overly cautious. The fact that Juju started the match well didn't help. Anna raised her level with her back to the wall, when there was basically no pressure, but it was too little too late.

The happiest moment for me was Anna's reaction after successfully challenging 2 calls in a row near the beginning of the 2nd set. She looked so :hearts: ! Unfortunately, Henin proceeded to ruin the moment immediately by hitting a couple of aces :mad:

So yes, basically, it was a bad day at the office. Anna looked almost embarrassed when she waved at the crowd during her exit. She knows she can play much better.
<<<

David <Fans' Corner at www.theannachakvetadze.com (http://www.theannachakvetadze.com/)>:
>>>
I am not trying to be a negative fan; however, I really think you had a chance against Henin. In the second Set you had 2 games in a-row that were exactly how you play at your best...
<<<

Anna quotes
-----------

"When you play the way I played today, it's not even strategy to think if you can't hit more than three balls over the net. It's your problem, so, yeah.

"I think Justine played pretty solid today, but I don't know, I just felt very tired. I felt I couldn't run. I don't know why I felt tired. I didn't run, and I was not in the match today. Yeah, but you know, sometimes this happens, and I look forward to playing on clay-courts.

"I felt it actually yesterday that I'm a little bit tired. I was a little bit dizzy in the evening, but I felt maybe I would get through that, but no.

"You know, something wrong happened, and actually, I'm still pleased with the result because I had no confidence when I came here - after I played one of my worst matches this year, and I didn't have confidence at all. And the goal for me was pass one round. And when I passed it I just felt a little bit better. Then second round, Golovin, also pretty easy - I was surprised. Yeah, it's still a good result, but I'm just feeling that I'm not in a good shape right now."

[Re. top ten next week]
"Yeah, I know, that's strange. If I would feel good, then maybe I would be top five. But no, the thing is that of course I got lucky with the draw. It was very tough match for me against Na Li - she just didn't use her opportunities, that's why I won. It was very lucky, so yeah, I'm happy it was a semi-final. But today in the match, Justine, she was controlling all games. She just start to miss a little bit in the end of the second set, so I won a few more games. [I'm not really giving myself much credit,] but I am telling the truth."

[Re. her improvement in the last year]
"Well, I just got more confidence against top players. I got confidence after I won my first tournament in China. And then the next week I won a home-tournament in Kremlin Cup in Moscow. Yeah, I beat like three top-ten players, and after that I just felt that I can play better and better."

[Re. no coach]
"No, my dad is with me here, and my hitting-partner. I actually was practising before Indian Wells with Robert Lansdorp in L.A., and I liked it a lot. But he can't travel, so probably I'll go to see him later when I go play US Open Series. Something special? He had great players: he was coaching Sharapova, Myskina and Sampras. He doesn't like to compare. I liked it, you know, he's very nice guy, and we practise good together."

[Re. next tournament]
"Well, I'm going back home and I'm going... in Russia, yes, in Moscow. I'm going to play Fed Cup and practise on clay, outdoors. Then I play Warsaw, Berlin, Rome, week off, and then French Open. We'll see how it goes.

[Re. Henin]
"Well, she sees the ball very good. She likes when someone hit flat against her. Well, all girls mostly playing like that - that's how I played today as well, I don't know why. It's not my style of the game.

"Well, yeah, she's a great champion. I don't know. They look a little bit similar with... no, she hit actually flatter than Mauresmo does. But they both have one-hand backhand and serve pretty good, so yeah. They don't play the same tennis as others play. Because usually girls play very flat, and powerful, and Justine, she can mix her game. That's why she's No. 1."

[Re. top five]
"Well, hopefully. That's my goal, yeah. I'll try to do my best this year. Hopefully I will play better."

Henin quotes
------------

"She made a lot of mistakes, but I've been smart. I've played the kind of game she doesn't like that much. But there wasn't a lot of rhythm, so it was an easier match than was I was expecting.

"I was just happy to do my job - it was very clean. I had the solution to every ball she was hitting today.

"I used my slice a lot. I could change the rhythm. I was running a lot and I was moving well. Also I had good defense, but with that I could come into the court and play a little bit more offensively too.

"That's my game, you know, to change a lot. I'm not as tall as most of the players, not as strong, so I have to play with my qualities. I'm not the kind of player who is hitting the ball so hard on every shot. I just try to do something else, and that's good for me."

[Re. mental strength]
"I feel that's my biggest quality. In the past, I've proven it many times. I have come back in tough matches, and when I was younger, not a lot of people believed I'd really become a great tennis-player. I proved a lot of things to those people - but first to myself. I love playing tennis so much, because it brings me a lot of emotions; it gives emotions to people I love, to my fans - and that's why I play tennis now, and I'm very happy about that. I just feel lucky to do what I love so much.

"I've been in trouble in my third round against Razzano. I was down 5-1, so I could be out of the tournament at that time. I wouldn't say I've been lucky, because I don't feel that luck exists in sport. I've been very focused at that time, and just try to stay in the tournament. Conditions are pretty tough, but I just could accept that and just, yeah, day after day, try to be myself and be happy to be on the court.

"Emotionally, I still have to find a good balance. I had a pretty tough time early in the year. The beginning of the season has been fantastic. I hope I can keep it going until the end. What happened in 2006 is far away; now I just want to focus on another season.

"It's great. The beginning of the season I've had is fantastic and I just hope I can keep going to the end in this tournament.

"It is a challenge for me. I just live for the moment now - I'm not in the past anymore. I just try to enjoy every moment of my life, and not try to project too far in the future, and forget a little bit of what happened in the past. I just try to move forward. You can take something positive from anything in your life, and that's what I am trying to do."

[Re. on-court coaching]
"No, we didn't use it, and I don't think we're going to do it. It's going to be 11 years we work together, and I don't have to have Carlos [Rodríguez]. I don't need him beside me on the court. Even if he just looks at me, I can understand what he wants from me on the court. I also have the feeling I'm mature enough. I know what I have to do on the court. The thing is that you alone have to find the solutions by yourself. I'm not quite sure what the level of the top players is going to make a difference. I'm not really positive for that. I don't care if the other players do that, but for me, the goal of Carlos is I take a little of my own responsibilities on the court. So it wouldn't help me if he comes to me at the end of the set and give me another solution - I have to find it by myself. I don't have really an opinion. It's just that I don't need that."

================
Next tournaments
================

Anna's next WTA tournament will be Warsaw (week of 30th April), but before that she will play Fed Cup (http://www.fedcup.com/): Russia are in the World Group, and will play their first-round tie on 21st/22nd April. They play Spain at Moscow, on indoor clay.

Shamil Tarpishchev was reportedly choosing between Anna and Dinara Safina for fourth place on the team, and reportedly chose Anna. Then Maria Sharapova withdrew, leaving Anna as the third player behind Svetlana Kuznetsova and Nadia Petrova - though whether he will choose Petrova over Anna, who owns Petrova 4:0, will depend very much on Petrova's title-defence at Amelia Island, I would think.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/chakv/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/chakv/) (added 1 external link)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Anna_Chakvetadze/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Anna_Chakvetadze/)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)