PDA

View Full Version : Match Report

floriano
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Hey all!

Finally have computer access and can report on some of the 2nd round action I caught a couple of days ago..Haven't had the opportunity to go back yet, but we hoping to go to the quarterfinals. Most of the macthes we saw were 2nd round ones.

Peng d. Bardina 6-2 6-0

Wow, Peng really knows how to whack that ball. She hits a really hard, flat ball and can change direction at the last minute with her shots. This is really effective, and it seemed to baffle Bardina at times.
Bardina called for the trainer at 4-0 in the 2nd, but it just seemed a slight knee problem. Injury or no injury, Peng was in the zone today, and although she can hit a nice ball, Bardina had no answer today.

Muller d. Tu 2-6 6-3 6-3

This match was really won and lost off of Tu's racket. There were sooooo many breaks of service during this match, at one stage it appeared as if nobody would ever hold serve immediately after breaking it.
Tu strated off really well, hit very precise hard groundstrokes and Muller's retrieving game was not very effective. In the 2nd, though, Muller hit a bit deeper, and the errors started to increase from Tu. Muller is a very small girl, but she reminded me of Sanchez Vicario, the way she fights for every point, and will make her opponent hit the next shot. This was too much for Tu, who went for the lines on an increasing basis and starting missing as the match wore on.

Zvonareva d. Craybas 6-1 7-5

This match was not overly entertaining, although Vera is nice to watch. Both these players have very similar games, although Vera just does it better. Jill to her credit changed tactics in the second, she realised that trying to match Vera at the baseline and await the error was not going to work. She strated approaching the net a lot more, and it worked for a while, but Vera had too much precision. These two had a very warm handshake at the end, and then walked off together, talking and smiling. That doesn't happen too often. Nathalie Dechy was watching this match and gave Vera a high five at the end, as well.

Bammer d. Rodionova 6-1 6-0

Wow! What this match lacked in competitiveness, it made up for in drama. I've never seen Anastasia before, but she really appeared to be in foul mood (I suppose the scoreline didn't help it)
Bammer was playing very confidently, hitting the ball assertively and not afraid to finish points at the net. Anastasia, on the other hand, did not seem to have much of a gameplan and when she scored her first game at 4-1, she didn't even smile. Down set point, she went for a dropshot which just sailed wide. Anastasia pleaded with the umpire that the ball was in, and when she didn't get the overrule, she imploded. She started complaining about some earlier line calls and alleged that Sybille had been taking too long between points.
Things didn't get better in the second. Sybille just had too many answers for Anastasia's baseline game, and when she went down 4-0, the tears started. Anastasia started screaming after every 2nd point, and threw her racket at the chair at the final change of ends. The umpire issued her with a warning for her language, and Anastasia simply gave her a sour look andm umbled under her breath. Let's say the handshake between Sybille and Anastasia was pretty much a split second thing (Anastasia looked down at the time), and she ignored the umpire. Not sure if she's always like that but it made for entertaining tennis.

More reports to follow shortly....

keirana332
Mar 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
thanks
lol @ Rodionova..unfortunately thats pretty typical of her
keep up the great reports

Sebastien123
Mar 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
thank you very much for reports :yeah:

Foot's Fingers
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Nastya R :devil: typical "i am bad girl"