PDA

View Full Version : Overview of Wimbledon articles and interviews: updated June 28

KaseyL
Jun 26th, 2002, 07:23 AM
I've put Kim's latest interview (after her 1st round win) on the website, Interview section.

KaseyL
Jun 26th, 2002, 12:10 PM
A funny fashion comment by Kim :

Kim talks about the outfits of the line judges, in articles in the Belgian press, saying that she wouldn't fancy their outfits. Said with a smile that it just might do as a table-cover! :D

Original quote from the Belgian press articles in this regard:
"Je ne voudrais d'ailleurs pas enfiler une tenue de juge de ligne. Elle pourrait juste servir de nappe sur la table du salon...´, sourit-elle."

Lleyki
Jun 26th, 2002, 06:42 PM
lol

Mazza
Jun 26th, 2002, 07:07 PM
LOL@Kimmie! :D couldn't agree with her more! ;)

Here's Kim's interview from yesterday :)

Q. How did you find your performance today?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I know this year like has been a very tough year for me because I've had my arm injury. You know, I sort of have to look for a good schedule and a good balance between enough rest and playing.
Definitely today wasn't my best tennis, but it was good enough to go through. I think that's the most important now, that I sort of raised my level the longer I'm in the tournament. I think that's the most important.

Q. Seems like you were struggling to find a rhythm through the whole match?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I definitely didn't feel very comfortable on my return games. I felt pretty comfortable on my serve games. I served well today, and that helped me to get out of some breakpoints. So that was good.
But I definitely didn't feel very comfortable returning today.

Q. Is it tough mentally to play a match knowing that you don't have your coach now on the side of the court?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Actually, I had a coach for these two weeks. His name is Harry. He's from Austria. He's been helping me out these two weeks. He's going to help me out these two weeks. So, yeah, it's been good. A new face next to the court.
And it helps. You know, it gives me more motivation. And also working off the court, you know, it's different. It's something new. Maybe that changes.

Q. Is the injury still worrying you or not?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, it's still there. You know, I'm going to have another MRI after Wimbledon probably, see how it goes. I've had a few MRIs. It's been getting better slowly, like better every few months, but it's still there. I certainly don't want to play too much so that it comes back because it's still very sensitive at the moment.

Q. Are you still doing the two hours a day of rehab?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes. I'm sick of it (laughter). No, but, I mean, it helps. The way I feel now, like I said, I'm serving better than I was even before I had my injury. So, I mean, it's definitely helped me a lot, and that's what keeps me going.
Sometimes it gets a bit boring, doing it like the same every day. With the physios, the WTA physios, they try to build a mixture of exercises so I can do like not always the same, so it's good.

Q. Physically, can you last seven matches?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, I've worked enough. When I've had time off, when I was resting for my shoulder, I've worked on the things where I didn't have to use my arm. I was running a lot, riding the bike, doing those things a lot, sprints and everything. I think definitely -- physically I think I'm definitely stronger than I was before I had my arm injury.

Q. Is it much better for you to play on grass considering the shoulder? Is it easier?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Maybe, yeah. Also like on clay, I felt, you know, with the high balls and the points, they take a bit longer. It puts a lot more pressure I think on my arm. Especially the way I play, you know, all my shots I used more my arm than some other players.
Yeah, you know, but definitely here on the grass, shorter points. If I serve well, I get quicker points, so it definitely helps.

Q. Are you and Lleyton good at raising each other's morale?
KIM CLIJSTERS: It's funny, we don't even talk that much about tennis. There's always something, like you talk about something. We don't really go -- you know, he goes his way, he has his coaches, I've got my coach. We sort of do those things with the people that are around us.

Q. On the Lleyton subject, there was a report in the British tabloids that he proposed to you on top of the Eiffel Tower.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Sorry for my language, but it's not true. I don't know where they get it from. I think by now we've been engaged a few times, we've been divorced, we've been married. I don't know where they get that from.

Q. What was untrue, the proposal, the Eiffel Tower or both?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Both. I've never been to the Eiffel Tower. I live three hours from Paris, I've never been to the Eiffel Tower. It's not true. I don't know where they get it from. Got no idea. It even surprised me, so (laughter).

Q. Obviously, a lot of stories of that nature this time of year. What's your reaction to them? Do you find them amazing, offensive?
KIM CLIJSTERS: You know, I just have a laugh at it, I think. But it was actually funny. On my birthday, people congratulating me. I thought it was for my birthday. These people were actually congratulating me because they thought we were engaged.
I mean, I laugh at it. I think you guys have to sell things, as well. But, yeah, it's...

Q. There's been a lot of talk about pressure on young stars. Did having sporting parents actually help you?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, it's definitely helped me a lot, especially with my dad, because he's been in the soccer world. He knows a lot, you know. I think me and my dad, we have a very good relationship. You know, he knows what's best for me, and he helps me out. You know, he knows that when I'm home, I don't want to do too many things. When I'm home, I want to rest. I try to do the things when I'm away.
You know, when I'm home, I've got friends, I like to do things that normal teenager does. And for my dad also, I think the most important is that I enjoy myself. I don't play tennis to be, you know, on TV all the time and to be in the magazines. I play tennis because I enjoy it. And these things come with it.

Q. What's the best advice your dad has given you?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, he's always said you know, that you have to enjoy yourself when you're on the court. If you enjoy yourself, then the results will come automatically and you'll play better.
My parents have never, ever put pressure on me about playing tennis or about doing something else. They said, "If you don't want to play tennis, you want to go swimming, whatever, can you do whatever you want to do."

Q. When did you realize that your dad was famous?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, you know, when we went to dinners, they asked him for autographs when I was younger.

Q. Did you ever feel you had to live up to being the daughter of him?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No. Maybe like when I was younger, I think like the spotlights were a little bit more -- when I was playing, say, like the under-12 tournaments in Belgium, the spotlights were maybe a little bit more on us because my dad was more famous.
But I've never, ever felt like I had to "achieve something" because my dad was famous, no.

Q. You said you should enjoy yourself on the court. When you had a tournament such as this, there's a great deal of pressure on you, expectations. Is it easy or difficult to have that attitude?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I love playing the Grand Slams, and especially this one - because I did so well here. I started with the juniors. Especially the Juniors, I made the finals. I've played well here. When I was younger, I qualified -- when I was 16, I qualified, lost to SteffiGraf in the fourth round. So I really feel like, you know, I have fun here, like I enjoy being out here. But everything, the atmosphere, the crowd and everything is just like makes it even more enjoyable.

Q. You've been on that court before?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes, last year.

Q. Are you happy with the surroundings?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I like it. It's a closed court. I saw like there were a few Belgians and even a few Australians supporting me. No, it was good. You feel like the crowd is closer to you. So I like that.

KaseyL
Jun 27th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Article from CNNSI, June 26, 2002

Dynamic duo Clijsters, Henin put Belgian tennis on map

WIMBLEDON, England -- By now you’ve heard plenty about the incredible Wednesday at Wimbledon that claimed Pete Sampras (yikes) and Andre Agassi (intriguing). Instead, I’d like to turn the spotlight to two players who, like Sampras and Agassi, share a nation -- and also, a rivalry.
There is something rather delightful and charming to think that Belgium has two big-time tennis players in ‘01 French finalist Kim Clijsters and ‘01 Wimbledon runner-up Justine Henin. Provincial American that I am, when I think of this nation what comes to mind most are exquisitive, fanciful, little items like chocolates, Audrey Hepburn and jewelry. To follow that notion, it figures that Clijsters and Henin today are playing at Wimbledon on Court Two, a venue that matches those very alluring attributes.
But there’s a fun symmetry and contrast to these two that makes them far more than a boutique or duty-free shop.
Clijsters first surfaced at Wimbledon three years ago when, just 16, she eliminated Amanda Coetzer (a steady yardstick, albeit challenged on grass) and reached the fourth round. Most impressive was Clijsters’ maturity, the way she came out whacking. When on her game, she’s reminiscent of Lindsay Davenport, driving clean forehands and backhands into corners, playing a contemporary brand of hard-hitting tennis. Off the court, though, she’s sweet, polite and always ready to exhibit the kind of friendly concern that you could see endears her to Lleyton Hewitt.
The funny thing about the diminutive Henin is that her persona is far more intense. While Clijsters is ready to whip off her hat and let her hair down, Henin is constantly walking around under that extra-long beak of a hat, painfully shy, courteous but lacking Clijsters’ bubbly nature. If Clijsters is a linebacker (watch her return stance), Henin is a running back, rocking back and forth after being tackled -- slow, deliberate, intense. Her game, though, is exceptionally pleasing to longstanding tennis lovers. Most notable is her one-handed backhand, a shot she learned herself. At its best, it’s a freeflowing stroke that’s a joy to watch, particularly when struck crosscourt.
But while Henin has generated considerably more style points than her fellow Belgian, my feeling is that Clijsters is far better-equipped to win Grand Slam titles. Nice as it is to see Henin’s one-hander, it’s a rough way to make a living with that shot unless you come to the net -- not quite her favorite tactic. Henin’s also admitted to having problems closing out matches, such as during her opener Tuesday versus Brie Rippner. Clijsters, like Davenport, has a simplicity and powerful aspect to her game that still requires more seasoning, but if she can maintain health and fitness can over time pose a quality threat to the Williams sisters -- if not at this year’s Wimbledon, then in the years to come.

KaseyL
Jun 27th, 2002, 10:38 AM
This is from The Independent, June 26, 2002

Belgian stars can explode Big Bang theory

By Nick Harris
As famous Belgians go, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin are the most impressive double act since Jean-Claude Van Damme's biceps. When they both rose into the world's top 10 last year, it marked the first time that their country had two representatives in the list. Clijsters reached the quarter-finals at Wimbledon and the US Open and made the final at Roland Garros.
Henin reached the Wimbledon final last year and the Roland Garros semis. She has reached two finals this year, in Berlin and Rome, both against Serena Williams, and won the former. The pair now stand at No 5 and No 6 in the world, and yesterday, true to form, they both progressed to the second round of the women's singles.
Clijsters won in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6 against the American, Samantha Reeves, ranked 72 places below her. After a season disrupted by an arm injury, her SW19 opener was unlikely to be a breeze. "This year has been very tough for me because I've had the injury," she said. "It definitely wasn't my best tennis, but it was good enough to go through. I think that's important now, that I raise my level the longer I'm in the tournament."
Given that Clijsters only turned 19 a fortnight ago, her maturity is impressive. Her on-court success, and her off-court activities not least her long-standing romance with Australia's Lleyton Hewitt have led to pressures that few women in the game can handle.
She said yesterday that having a famous father (the former Belgium international footballer, Leo) had helped. He has always advised her to forget what others expect of her and enjoy herself. "I don't play tennis to be on TV all the time and to be in magazines," she said. "I play tennis because I enjoy it."
Henin plays tennis because she loves the elegance of a well-crafted win. Such elegance made Steffi Graf her heroine, and such elegance, on her good days, has made her one of the very few players who can counter the sheer power of the Williams sisters and Jennifer Capriati with guile. Her one-handed backhand, a pinpoint waspish flick when in key, is the single most delicious stroke in the game. It was far from its finest yesterday, but Henin still overcame Brie Rippner of the United States, ranked No 239 in the world, 6-2, 6-7, 6-1.
The first and last sets were formalities, forged from early breaks built on intelligent placing of shots. But the middle set, which Rippner took on a tie-break, was a trickier affair.
"I was going well until 4-3 in the second set," she said. "But I had problems finishing off the match. Maybe it's because I haven't played for two weeks and I'm a little bit nervous to finish off matches. I have to control that."
For the moment, the pair stay on course in the top half of the draw, neither due to meet players ranked above them until a possible quarter-final meeting for Clijsters with Venus Williams and a possible showdown for Henin with Monica Seles at the same stage. Seles, the world No 4, had the easiest first-round win of the tournament so far yesterday, beating Eva Bes of Spain 6-0, 6-0 in 37 minutes.
With the "big three" (the Williams sisters and Capriati) safely through in the past two days, and now the "little three" of the top six through yesterday, the emphasis for the latter will be to improve at each stage. Because just as science has its Big Bang Theory (sired in 1927 by the famous Belgian, Father Georges Lemaitre), so tennis has its Big Bang Theory, sired by Richard Williams and augmented by Mr and Mrs Capriati. A famous Belgian victory here will be a timely answer to that.

keta
Jun 27th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Thnakz for the Articles Ingrid.. And for the interveiw Marie!

KaseyL
Jun 27th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Here's Kim latest interview after her second round loss today

E. LIKHOVTSEVA/K. Clijsters
7-6, 6-2

MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Difficult match. Were you aware of the reputation of Court 2?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, well, yeah, of course, I watch the TV, as well. I've won matches there last year as well when I was seeded. I don't worry about those things at all.

Q. How was the shoulder today? Did it affect your game?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, it felt pretty good today. I just played an opponent today who played better than me and made less unforced errors. I know today like I had a lot of chances to break in the first set and had some set points, was up in the tiebreaker. I didn't take those chances.
You know, if you want to beat these players, you have to be there when you get those chances and you have to take them. I didn't take them. She played good at some of them, but I made some unforced errors on some of them, as well.

Q. How disappointing is that after the French when you lost early?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, it's always disappointing to lose a tennis match. Doesn't matter if it's the French, Wimbledon, Rosmalen. Any tournaments, I hate to lose. Like I said, it doesn't matter how big the tournament is.
But, you know, I know this year, like it's going to be tough for me, you know, because I don't have a lot of match rhythm. Especially like in these big tournaments, the first rounds are going to be tough. I don't have like a lot of match rhythm, it's going to be tougher for me to win those matches easier and cruise through the first few rounds like I did last year.
But it's a challenge, I think, and it's something that I have to, you know, work on like for the rest of this year until I have some more time off, you know, to rest my shoulder and my arm, and then we'll see next year.

Q. You are not considering having an operation or something?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No. I mean, the doctors gave me a few options when I went -- like when they diagnosed my problem. And surgery was probably the last one they suggested, I think, you know, because they couldn't promise me that that was going to help either. I don't want to take a risk of let's say being a year out and not being fully recovered afterwards.
But for the moment, my shoulder feels okay. It just depends. It's just a matter of, you know, like having the match rhythm and the practice that I can't do as much as I was doing last year like for the rest of my life I've done. I was always the type of player who was practicing a lot more on the court than, let's say, I was in the gym. I did a lot more work on the court than maybe other players.

Q. So can you cope with that?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, it's something that I chose for, you know, at the beginning of this year. And it's tough, you know. But I know for me this year is going to be a very tough year. I mean, I didn't make the decision one, two, three. I had to think about it for a few weeks.
But, I mean, I played some good matches this year, in Miami, Indian Wells. Indian Wells I lost to Dechy. In Miami I played some good matches. You know, it comes and goes. I think that's what makes it tough at the moment.

Q. But is that frustrating, not being able to play a full schedule?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think it would be more frustrating if I would be out for six months, sitting at home, you know, doing nothing. That would be more frustrating for me, I think. I like to travel and I like to play tennis. And tennis is still a hobby. You know, like two players come on the court, one has to lose and one wins. You know, it's tough. I mean, I don't like to lose at all.
But, you know, those like little details can make a difference sometimes.

Q. When you say it comes and goes, does that mean pain?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think the level in my tennis at the moment.

Q. The level?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah.

Q. It's not the pain?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No. Well, that comes and goes sometimes (laughter).

Q. Are you considering to play a lot this summer, as well?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, no. I mean, I'm not going to. That's why I don't want to risk to make my shoulder worse. It's tough. I have to find a good balance between playing enough, having enough rest and practicing enough. And that's why I think it's -- it's a challenge, you know, to find a good balance. It's hard, you know, because, like I said, I'm the type of player who needs a lot of matches and maybe not as much practice. It's tough if you don't have a lot of matches before going into a tournament. It's tougher, you know, to have your rhythm in those first rounds.

Q. Are you planning to arrange your schedule then so that you'll play the US Open?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I have. I mean, I've pulled out of a few tournaments already this year. I didn't play Antwerp after the Australian Open, didn't play in Scottsdale before Indian Wells. You know, I've already played less tournaments than I had planned.
You know, if you lose a few first rounds, it's probably easier for me, you know, to enter a tournament. Let's say, if I do well in one of the American tournaments, maybe I have to pull out of one of them. That's why it's so tough for me, you know, to like put a schedule that I know that I'm going to play for sure. That's why it makes it hard.

Q. Martina Hingis has been beating up her body for several years now playing 25, 26 tournaments a year. She's now in a very critical position at a very young age. Is that at all on your mind, that maybe you should just get off the tour before you wind up in the same condition Martina Hingis is in?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I know -- I don't know like -- with Martina, I know the problem is her foot. I don't know if it happened at once or if it's coming from a long, long period. That's what I don't know.
I know with my shoulder, I know it can get better. Even with resting, it's nice you suggest me to rest, but I also have to, you know, be able to -- I mean, the doctor says, "Well, you have to keep the blood going through and keep having everything, like you have to be able to play, as well."
Like I said, the balance between play and resting is just something that I have to -- it's like a scale. It's something that I have to look for.

Q. A British government minister today has said that Wimbledon should give the same prize money to the women's champion as the men's. Is that something you agree with?
KIM CLIJSTERS: It would be great, I think, to see. But it's something, you know, that I think it's not up to me to make a comment about it, I think.

Q. You have a sister in the Juniors. Do you get nervous watching her?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I do. You know, I've always like -- even if I was playing the under-14 tournaments, when I was watching my sister, I always get nervous. You know, it's nice to be able to watch her tennis. But I get nervous, yeah.

Q. Would it be a dream for you to play against her?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Like if you see the Rochus brothers, it's always -- it would be great to be able to be in the same draw, seeing her do well and everything. But I don't know playing her. It would be nice. I mean, I would definitely want to play like with her in the doubles or something. But you don't want to play -- especially me, I don't really want to play my younger sister.

Q. How tough would it be for you if it did happen?
KIM CLIJSTERS: You know, always, it's a totally different match, I think, to be able to. But I wish. I hope she would do -- I wish she gets that far, you know, to get into the main draw of the Slams. Yeah, I mean, I would love it.

Q. Do you play similar games?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, not really, I think. You know, she comes to the net often. I mean, she's a very good doubles player. I don't know what she is ranked at the moment in Juniors in doubles. But she's Top 5, I think. She mixes her game a little bit. I don't think she hits the ball as powerful as me.
But, you know, she's -- yeah, I mean, she's got a good game, I think.

Q. How special would it be if you got to team up together as doubles partners?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, I don't know if we would be a good team or not. We actually won an under-14, international under-14 tournament together once in Belgium.
I don't know. I think we both would get pretty pissed at each other. If one throws the racquet, I would tell her, "Don't throw your racquet." She would get pissed at me. You know, the sister-sister relationship.

Q. Does she listen to you?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, she doesn't. Sometimes.

Q. Do you try and give her a lot of advice?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. I mean, you know, when she started to play a few of those SanexWTA tournaments, like the 100,000 in Belgium, it's all new for her. She doesn't know all the details that are going on.
Of course, I helped her a little bit, yeah.

Q. Do you think it might be harder for sisters to be a doubles team in comparison to brothers like the Bryans?
KIM CLIJSTERS: It's hard to say. I mean, I would love to play with my sister. But it's hard to say. I don't have a brother. I'm not a boy, so I don't know.

KaseyL
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:29 AM
This was on CNNSI:

Clijsters battling shoulder injury

Thursday June 27, 2002

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- For a professional tennis player, the choice was tough: play a reduced schedule for the rest of the year because of a persistent injury, or cope with a long layoff after surgery.

Kim Clijsters, the fifth-seeded player at Wimbledon, chose the play-on option and may be paying the price.

On Thursday, lacking match rhythm because she didn't play a lot of warmup tournaments coming into Wimbledon, Clijsters lost her second-round match to Elena Likhovtseva 7-6 (5), 6-2.

After making the Australian Open semifinals, Clijsters suffered a flare-up of muscle pain in her right shoulder. She played a reduced scheduled through March and April, then had to pull out of Fed Cup singles matches in Brussels due to a recurrence of the injury.

At the same time, she split with her coach, Carl Maes, and then lost in the third round at the French Open, where she was a finalist last year.

Clijsters said it could be equally as difficult for the rest of the year.

"In these big tournaments, the first rounds are going to be tough because I don't have a lot of match rhythm," she said. "It's going to be tough for me to win these matches."

Clijsters said doctors gave her a few options after they diagnosed the shoulder injury, but could not guarantee that surgery would completely solve the problem.

"I don't want to risk being out a year and not being fully recovered afterwards," she said. "But I know it's going to be a very tough year. I played some good matches, but it comes and goes. That's what makes it tough at the moment."

The surgery option didn't appeal to her, even if doctors would have painted a more optimistic picture of the result.

"I think it would be more frustrating if I would be out for six months, sitting at home, doing nothing," she said. "That would be more frustrating. I like to travel, I like to play tennis."

So for the time being, she'll play a reduced schedule this summer leading up to the U.S. Open.

"I don't want to risk making my shoulder worse," Clijsters said. "I have to find a good balance between playing enough, having enough rest and practicing enough. It's a challenge to find a good balance."

Clijsters said she doesn't see many comparisons between her and Martina Hingis, who had ankle ligament surgery on May 20 to correct a chronic problem and is not playing Wimbledon.

"I don't know if her injury happened at once or if it came from over a long period," said Clijsters. "I know with my shoulder, it can get better.

"Even with resting, the doctor still says `you have to keep the blood going through, you have to be able to play as well.' The balance between playing and resting is something I have to look for."

Clijsters didn't look good Thursday, struggling throughout her match, unable to shake off a persistent opponent who took advantage of her succession of unforced errors.

In the second set, Clijsters found it even more difficult to keep the ball in play. Although she immediately recovered a break after dropping her serve at 1-2, she was broken again for 2-4 and allowed Likhovtseva to break her again for the match.

KaseyL
Jun 28th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Here are the comments of Kim's temp coach.

Source : La Libre, June 28, 2002

(own translation)

Harald Mair : ‘Training has to continue’

He was disappointed. Especially for her, of course. Harald Mair, the Austrian coach who follows Kim during Wimbledon now, doesn’t dramatise the 2nd round loss against Elena Likhovtseva.
‘It was all played in the first set’, he explains. ‘Kim had two set balls at 5-4 and she was even leading 5-2 in the tie break. I am convinced that if she would have won it, she also would have won the match. Furthermore, Kim has a right to lose. After all she is only 19 years old. I advise her to take a break for several weeks and to completely focus on training. Hitting balls and balls, in order to regain feeling and confidence. I don’t know if I will continue coaching her. It’s out of the question in July, but if she would ask me for the US Open, I would love to.’

KaseyL
Jun 28th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Kim talks about her loss and info re new coach.

Here's my summary and translation of Belgian press article in De Standaard group newspapers, June 28, 2002

About a new coach
Kim will probably have a new coach towards the US Open.
Marc Dehous seems first choice, but also Christophe Thijs is in the running.

The search for a new coach is reaching its conclusion (Hari Mair was ad interim). Most likely a Fleming. VTV (=Flemish Tennis Association) coach Marc Dehous who replaced Carl Maes during a month in early 2000 when Kim won Hobart, seems to be the top favourite.

The more so as Christophe Thijs, who is also in the running, has a demanding job in industry. Thijs and Dehous are both in their thirties, Thijs used to play tennis at international level and is still active in the Limburg circuit.

Kim’s reaction on her loss
Kim is disappointed about her loss but said that she knew it would be a tough year. Kim will stay another week in Wimbledon, but only to be with Lleyton.

A quote: ‘Of course I know that I have lost on the court that is called the ‘champions’ graveyard’, I watch television too!’ said a laconic Kim.

She added that she doesn’t want to use her injury as an excuse. ‘It’s logical that I am vexed, isn’t it? I hate losing, no matter if it’s Wimbledon, Rosmalen or Roland Garros.’

The problem was not pain, but lack of match rhythm. Says Kim: ‘Just when I am someone who needs a lot of matches. I like playing doubles, and to play many tournaments, to train hard. That is not possible now. The balance between rest and tennis is now of vital importance. Frustrating? Being at home for six months after surgery which gives only 50% chance of successful healing, now that seems to me frustrating! And that has always been the only alternative.

Tennis is a sport to me, a hobby. But I have to accept that I am lacking the rhythm to ease through the first rounds of a Grand Slam. At the same time it is a challenge.

A crisis or a slump? No, call it a lesser moment in my life. I don’t doubt myself. I know this could happen, but I don’t have that in hand. All that I can do, is doing my daily exercises for my shoulder in a good way.’