PDA

View Full Version : "today I feel like I won a Grand Slam": MIRJANA LUCIC article & links

auntie janie
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/wta-indian-wells/2007/sport_sto1109755.shtml

Lucic returns to winning ways

Croatia's Mirjana Lucic has set her sights on a productive return to the game after off-court issues forced her on to the sidelines for four years.

Lucic - who fled to the United States after being abused by her father - wrestled with financial problems before ending her long layoff at the Memphis Open last month.

"I've been at home, missing tennis a lot and spending time with my family," Lucic said after beating American Lindsey Nelson 6-4 7-6 in the Pacific Life Open first round.

"My family is everything to me. I have cried more days than you can imagine and got amazing help from my family. They tried to keep me busy through the French Open and Wimbledon and so on.

"This is no experiment," the 24-year-old added with fire in her eyes.

"In my head, I really never left. I'm absolutely back in the game after an incredibly difficult time. God willing, I will be better than ever."

Germany-born Lucic - who stunned the tennis world by reaching the Wimbledon semi-finals in 1999 before losing to her idol Steffi Graf - did not want to discuss her financial concerns.

"Not right now," she said.

"Until everything is solved, I want to focus on the game.

"I have no relationship with my father now. I got a new coach two and a half months ago and I've been training with my brothers."

Asked whether she had sufficient financial backing to compete regularly on the 2007 WTA Tour, she replied: "I'm not at that point yet but I feel very positive about it."

A gifted player as a teenager who won the 1996 junior US Open singles and the 1997 junior Australian Open singles and doubles titles, Lucic is delighted to be back at Indian Wells.

"It's four years, I believe, since I've been here and this is one of my favourite events," said the Croatian, who at 16 became the youngest player to complete a successful defence of a WTA Tour title at the 1998 Bol.

"I'm really, really excited. It feels like my soul is here. I'm completely at peace and at ease here. I just love this place."

Lucic accepts she will have to rely on several wildcard entries into WTA tournaments this season.

"For this year, my goal is to play from tournament to tournament," she said.

"Never before have I had a full year of, say, 20 tournaments. I want to play as many matches as I can for the next seven years."

Lucic faces eighth seed Anna Chakvetadze of Russia in the second round.

A'DAM
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM
My God Ihope she will win over Anna in next round!
It would boost her finances!!!

auntie janie
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:37 AM
link to Mirjana pic from Indian wells (sorry, photo would not post for me):

[/URL]http://cmsimg.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J1&Date=20070308&Category=EVENTS10&ArtNo=703080337&Ref=AR&Profile=1002 (http://cmsimg.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J1&Date=20070308&Category=EVENTS10&ArtNo=703080337&Ref=AR&Profile=1002)

Photo is from The Desert Sun, which has an article, too:

[URL]http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070308/EVENTS10/703080337/1002/sports

"I will play from tournament to tournament, but today I feel like I won a Grand Slam," she said.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
WOW she lost some serious weight :eek:
Welcome back Mikica... Please defeat Anna tommorow... It would be :drool:

Darius0075
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Good Luck to her!:)

ico4498
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:11 PM
best of luck Mirjana!

Natarajasana
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Great read....thanks :yeah:
All the best to Mirjana :worship:

samn
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:15 PM
She'd never do it, of course, but she could ask Graf to sponsor her for a year or so until she has played (and earned) enough to support herself. Graf did reportedly try to help her with her game back in the late 90s and has a lot of spare cash. Of course Lucic's welfare isn't Graf's responsibility, but the latter could consider it a sort of investment (based on how Lucic is playing). And I'm certain Jaden Gil and Jaz Elle could live with just 200 new toys this year instead of 500

sweetpeas
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome back Lucic.

croat123
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:59 PM
wow she's in shape :eek:

Martian KC
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
For the next 7 years? Wow, you go girl!:D

-sugi-
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks, I really hope she can have a great comeback. It would be a great story.

LindsayRulz
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
:worship:

brickhousesupporter
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Wow I am really suprised by how fit she is. I remember her being quite doughy around the middle. I hope this shows that she is committed and she can have a great year.

harloo
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM
link to Mirjana pic from Indian wells (sorry, photo would not post for me):

http://cmsimg.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J1&Date=20070308&Category=EVENTS10&ArtNo=703080337&Ref=AR&Profile=1002

Photo is from The Desert Sun, which has an article, too:

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070308/EVENTS10/703080337/1002/sports

"I will play from tournament to tournament, but today I feel like I won a Grand Slam," she said.

:eek: :eek: The last time I saw her she played Venus at the USO and lost 0,0. She has lost so much weight hopefully she does well. :)

shirley
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Welcome back Mirjana. I wish her all the luck in the world :D

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
wow Mirjana looks great :)
hope she can stay healthy.

best wishes Mirjana on her comeback.

MistyGrey
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM
She'd never do it, of course, but she could ask Graf to sponsor her for a year or so until she has played (and earned) enough to support herself. Graf did reportedly try to help her with her game back in the late 90s and has a lot of spare cash. Of course Lucic's welfare isn't Graf's responsibility, but the latter could consider it a sort of investment (based on how Lucic is playing). And I'm certain Jaden Gil and Jaz Elle could live with just 200 new toys this year instead of 500

I was thinking the same thing. Steffi did try to help Lucic in 98,99.. and she also lent her support to Jennifer in the mid ninetees when she was at the rock bottom. Mirjana should try contacting Steffi, and maybe Steffi will help her for a few months.

Sally Struthers
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:06 PM
from all the talk about her 80% of wtaworld act like she won a grand slam too. :o

John.
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
She's looking good.

Good luck to her. Hopefully, she can keep it up

crazillo
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Wow, good to see she says it is no experiment. But probably she should work herself up in Challengers and not only rely on WTATOUR-WCs? ;)

Mr. Magassi
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM
wow... she looks great!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Lucic accepts she will have to rely on several wildcard entries into WTA tournaments this season.

As glad as I am that Mirjana is back, she needs to get away from this hand-out mentality. There is absolutely nothing preventing from playing 10K's and challenger qualifying. If she can get back into the top 100 or 150 solely on a few handouts, then that's fantastic. But I really hope she's not going to just quit again when people stop giving her wild cards and she can't get into major events directly.

She's not the first (or the last) person to ever play on tour without sponsorships. It's called a loan. It's called going into debt before you can pay the money back.

harloo
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
from all the talk about her 80% of wtaworld act like she won a grand slam too. :o

:rolls: :rolls:
Aren't you happy to see her back? She looks great!!

KV
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Nice to see Mirjana back on the courts. :)

mauresmofan
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Didn't Steffi Graf say that she thought Lucic would be one to watch for the future in 1998 - hopefully it's not too late!

PLP
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Well, if she wins a match or 2 in all her events, she definitely deserves the Wildcards IMO!

I'm so happy for her! I don't expect she can beat Anna yet but I hope to see her back in the top 100 as soon as possible! Come on Mirjana!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

croat123
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:28 PM
a picture from a practice session
http://www.salatara.com/baza/data/nws/0803lucic.jpg

Highlandman
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Thats lovley - good luck against Anna :hearts: :worship:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I don't know this girl and I've never heard of her but it's really sad what happened to her few years ago, good that managed to get back. Well she was lucky to draw that American girl, she won some money :yeah:

saki
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM
As glad as I am that Mirjana is back, she needs to get away from this hand-out mentality. There is absolutely nothing preventing from playing 10K's and challenger qualifying. If she can get back into the top 100 or 150 solely on a few handouts, then that's fantastic. But I really hope she's not going to just quit again when people stop giving her wild cards and she can't get into major events directly.

She's not the first (or the last) person to ever play on tour without sponsorships. It's called a loan. It's called going into debt before you can pay the money back.

Yeah, she does seem to have a bit of an attitude problem in this area. I'm optimistic that this time is for real, though, because she's really worked on her fitness. That demonstrates a real commitment.

Sally Struthers
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
:rolls: :rolls:
Aren't you happy to see her back? She looks great!!

It's nice to see her back but let's get real. A couple of weeks ago when she won round 1 qualifying in Memphis, it was like she won a grandslam here too :lol: Enough. I'll save my praise for when she starts being "somebodies." ;)

Steffica Greles
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM
It's sad, but I think it's a bit too late for her to fulfill her potential. She began in 1997, and even as late as 2003 there were still people clinging to hope. But she's wasted too many years now.

And let's not forget that she barely won a match after 1999. So it's more like 8 years since she was a top player. And I say that, but she was only inside the top 35 for one week 9 years ago now as a 16 year-old. She was outside the top 45 for most of her career.

It'll be hard watching her play, thinking of what should have been.

MisterQ
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Wishing her the best of luck! :) Nice to hear of her commitment and perhaps a new stability in her life.

ce
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:32 PM
i am so happy for her:)

The Dawntreader
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'm really admiring this comeback from Lucic. Coming back from all these hellish off-court affairs, but she's just thrown herself into her tennis which she obviously loves. She may not be as successful in the long term, but her courage to come back is so endearing:D :hug:

Lulu.
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Best of luck in your comeback Mirjana :)

LondonSteve
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Good luck to Mirjana. If she gets into the top 30, now THAT will be a comeback!

missclaret
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
good on you girl! i wish mirjana all the best of luck on her comebackx

!<blocparty>!
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
That's awesome. :D

I hope she'll play at Wimbledon.

spartanfan
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
She has lost an incredible amount of weight, she doesn't even look like the same person.

MLucicSuper
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Mirjana good Luck in the comeback....she can do it...only she knows that..

croat123
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:16 PM
right now, she was 28 points. she needs to play one more tournament to get a ranking, so she should be in the top500 when she gets her ranking.
that should get her in to 25k qualies on her own merit

saki
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM
It's sad, but I think it's a bit too late for her to fulfill her potential. She began in 1997, and even as late as 2003 there were still people clinging to hope. But she's wasted too many years now.

And let's not forget that she barely won a match after 1999. So it's more like 8 years since she was a top player. And I say that, but she was only inside the top 35 for one week 9 years ago now as a 16 year-old. She was outside the top 45 for most of her career.

It'll be hard watching her play, thinking of what should have been.

I think Capriati showed that it's not impossible. I don't think it's likely that she can do as well as she would have done were it not for her personal problems but I think she could manage top 100 quite easily and maybe even top 50. Eventually - like in a year or two.

Sharapova's_Boy
Mar 9th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Mirjana :hearts:

Steffica Greles
Mar 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I think Capriati showed that it's not impossible. I don't think it's likely that she can do as well as she would have done were it not for her personal problems but I think she could manage top 100 quite easily and maybe even top 50. Eventually - like in a year or two.

Capriati had already been a top player before her sabbatical, no.6 in the world, 3 times slam semi-finalist, victor over Graf and Seles and Olympic winner.

Lucic's achievements? Highest ranking: 32 (for a week or two in 1998), two tier 4 titles, a grandslam semi-final.

If you track most of Mirjana's results, I'd say that in 75% of her tournaments she'd exit in round 1.

saki
Mar 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Capriati had already been a top player before her sabbatical, no.6 in the world, 3 times slam semi-finalist, victor over Graf and Seles and Olympic winner.

Lucic's achievements? Highest ranking: 32 (for a week or two in 1998), two tier 4 titles, a grandslam semi-final.

If you track most of Mirjana's results, I'd say that in 75% of her tournaments she'd exit in round 1.

I did say that I didn't think she'd do as well as she could have done without the long sabbatical. But I don't think it's beyond her to sustain a top 100 ranking. Maybe top 50.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM
awwww! i hope she goes far here!

good luck mirjana!!!

LUIS9
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM
:eek: :eek: The last time I saw her she played Venus at the USO and lost 0,0. She has lost so much weight hopefully she does well. :)

I know Mirjana was not even playing that badly. She just started missing by the smallest margings because Venus kept sending her cannon balls back and with interest. It really was impressive how Venus made those extremely heavy and deep shots look like average shots on you see on a practice session. :worship:

tinkerbell
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM
wow she looks completely different from her semi with Steffi at Wimbledon. :) hope she sticks at the come back this time otherwise she's just wasting her talent. i know she's had a lot of problems but......

tinkerbell
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:43 PM
wow she looks completely different from her semi with Steffi at Wimbledon. :) hope she sticks at the come back this time otherwise she's just wasting her talent. i know she's had a lot of problems but......

raquel
Mar 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Great to hear Mirjana so positive and looking to get back full time. After all the personal difficulties at a young age, one off appearances and turning up on acceptance lists only to never show it's great to see her free to really have a proper tennis career. Good luck Mirjana. She deserves this second chance to do what she loves and what she's good at. I'd love Wimbledon to maybe think of giving Mirjana a WC. Her 1999 run was really exciting to watch.