PDA

View Full Version : Asia Muhammad Ready to Turn Pro!!!

Wolverines08
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Local teen Muhammad ready to turn pro

Ninth-seeded Ginepri out of tournament

By STEVE CARP
REVIEW-JOURNAL
Asia Muhammad is in the process of turning pro.

The Las Vegas teenager is preparing to close the book on her amateur career and is competing in this week's $75,000 ITF Mirage Cup at the Tennis Channel Open.

The women begin play at 10 a.m. today and Muhammad is expected to play her first match Tuesday.

Muhammad, 15, who has played for Team Agassi at the tennis legend's Boys and Girls Club, is making her professional debut in her hometown thanks to a wild-card entry from the tournament's organizers.

She lost in the first round of qualifying for this event last year.

"I'm very excited about the future," Muhammad said Sunday. "I thought this is the right time (to go pro).

"I was really nervous last year because it was my first time playing against pros and it was in front of my home crowd. I think my game is maturing. I'm not making as many errors and I'm able to do more things on the court."

She will retain her amateur status for now as she will not accept any prize money she wins at the Mirage Cup other than expenses.

The winner of the 32-player event receives $11,400.

Muhammad is coached by Tim Blenkiron, who has coached her during her time with Team Agassi.

She plans to compete in the SuperNationals next month in Alabama and plans to play for the U.S. Junior Federation Cup team in May. By summer, Muhammad hopes to be playing exclusively pro events.

"I think I'm ready," she said.

DunkMachine
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Watch out tennisworld, we's comming for ya!

Erika_Angel
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:05 AM
This article must be a week old because that event happened last week ;)

She did alright, lost her first round match in a close 3 setter to Fedossova.

:inlove:
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:17 AM
After having MPs. :(
Good luck Asia! :hearts::smooch:

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Anybody seen her play? How well does she strike the ball? What's her style?

Uranus
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:51 PM
She looks quite promising, nearly beat Fedossova at 15 :)

Vlover
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Why doesn't the USTA or Bolletari (sp?) help players like her? It would be nice if she could become a champion like my Vee.

Marcell
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM
That's why I get upset when people are constantly complaining that there are not many Americans playing tennis. People fail to realize how expensive it is to become a professional tennis player. You can have all the talent in the world, but without the financial backing you will get no where.

darrinbaker00
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Why doesn't the USTA or Bolletari (sp?) help players like her? It would be nice if she could become a champion like my Vee.
Asia has Andre Agassi as a financial backer and occasional hitting partner, my friend. Besides, the USTA hasn't produced a female champion since Lindsay Davenport was a kid; they wouldn't know a talented player if they saw one.

Vlover
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Asia has Andre Agassi as a financial backer and occasional hitting partner, my friend. Besides, the USTA hasn't produced a female champion since Lindsay Davenport was a kid; they wouldn't know a talented player if they saw one.

It's just puzzling how the Eastern European players can come to the US and get successful training while unable to produce Americans players. There's just something wrong with the picture.:(

I really have no insight on the workings of the USTA but could there be an underlining "litmus test"? Just trying to figure out why such a huge organization is so ineffective?:help:

Wolverines08
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Anybody seen her play? How well does she strike the ball? What's her style?

Wow...very good for 15...the people at Andre's Academy only allow her to hit with men...she has a huge serve & forehand...reminds me alot of Vaidisova...very tall & lanky...nice backhand that she can hit many winners from but also can be inconsistent...very fast mover...long strides.

CooCooCachoo
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM
After having MPs. :(
Good luck Asia! :hearts::smooch:

Why are you using :hearts: for her when I am convinced you have never seen her :haha:

Good luck to Asia, I guess :shrug:

noah83
Mar 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM
photo please http://ads.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images/smilies/hearts.gif

Pureracket
Mar 9th, 2007, 12:18 AM
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/profiles/2/0/8/3/0/7/4078.jpg

tenn_ace
Mar 9th, 2007, 12:20 AM
ppl just dont get carried away

remember after barely beating Muhammed Fedossova lost in the next round to #246 in the world. Fedossova also barely beat a good in form player this year.

Wolverines08
Mar 9th, 2007, 01:25 AM

remember after barely beating Muhammed Fedossova lost in the next round to #246 in the world. Fedossova also barely beat a good in form player this year.

I'm not getting carried away, i've see Asia live...she's very good...I think Brittany Augustine(John Newcombe Academy) is a little better...they;ve won many national championships in singles and in doubles playing together...Lindsay Davenport even said they both had great futures, and that they hit the ball very well.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 9th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Wow...very good for 15...the people at Andre's Academy only allow her to hit with men...she has a huge serve & forehand...reminds me alot of Vaidisova...very tall & lanky...nice backhand that she can hit many winners from but also can be inconsistent...very fast mover...long strides.
Thanks.

Solitaire
Mar 9th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed for Asia. America needs a good up and coming tennis player.

Wolverines08
Mar 9th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Thanks.

your welcome!

kiwifan
Mar 9th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Thank you. :worship:

For all the shit that American talking heads speak about how "Richard's kids should do this... Richard's kids should do that" :rolleyes:

Where the hell are all the champion kids that they're producing by doing all the right things they claim young V&S should have been doing since 1999? :(

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM

For all the shit that American talking heads speak about how "Richard's kids should do this... Richard's kids should do that" :rolleyes:

Where the hell are all the champion kids that they're producing by doing all the right things they claim young V&S should have been doing since 1999? :(

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

ico4498
Mar 9th, 2007, 05:18 AM

who exactly is "carried away".

she'll succeed or not, everyone understands that.

the anti-enthusiasm police work overtime ...