PDA

View Full Version : (WC)Unranked Lucic d. (Q)#628 Nelson 64 76, 1st To Join Top 32 Seeds In IW R2

pierce0415
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Mirjana :bounce: :bounce: these points will do you good!
good job taking advantage of your cakewalk draw - probably the easiest for Tier I you could have hoped for
now please take out Anna C :devil:

égalité
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Mirjana!!! :woohoo: :hearts: :bigcry:

AaronJoyB
Mikiii

Nicolás89
congrats lucic

LindsayRulz
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:06 PM
YAY!!! Mirjana :worship:

John.
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Mirjana :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

jimbo mack
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
:banana:

WhatTheDeuce
Soooooo happy and relieved. I felt like I was reliving Dokic-Razzan AO 2006 for a sec there.

AJMOOOOO MIRJANA!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: Great fight!

So proud of her. :D

auntie janie
So glad it didn't go 3 sets! It was a little too close for comfort for a while there :eek: But well done. :hug:

Rtael
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Good job Mirjana...I guess another win is too much to ask for, but I can hope...

switz
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
amjo Lucic

switz
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Not like she beat a wildcard ranked #628 either. Her opponent qualified so was obviously playing at a good level.

FrenchY52
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Well done ! I thought a bit of Jelena/Razzano after this wasted MP + break down but that's great !

Rtael
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:13 PM
So, here's a question...Where is GoDom?

daniela86
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Well done :D :bounce: :bounce: I'm happy for her :hug:

Williams-forever
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Great job Mirjana:D But i don't really see her having a chance against Chakvetadze...:sad:

RenaSlam.
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Magnificent! She will rule the tennis world.

MLucicSuper
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM
My brother lives in San Jose,and him and other 10 Croats went to watch Mirjana....So Lucky....they said it was a great match...but were happy to talk to Mirjana after the match ...and took alot of pictures

Philip
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Well i didnt think i would see Mirjana winning a 1st round at a tier I event again... wow :) :D Happy for her!

Ravsieg
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Probably the first ever thread that there's only love.

Mirjana. :D

Zehri98
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Wishing my heartfelt congrats to Mirjana! So good to see her back, maybe she'll be able to fulfill her potential yet. Welcome back! :wavey:

LindsayRulz
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Any pics?

Lindsayfanumber1
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:26 AM

kfh_9118
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Mirjana :bounce: :yeah: so glad she didn't lose that second set, got a bit worried :scared:

now, give your best against Chakvetadze, nothing to lose, you're doing well already.

was this match televised? I am hoping someone will upload this match :)

Miranda
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:20 AM
oh thats good :bounce: :lol:

croat123
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:30 AM
OMG :eek: I did not expect this at all!!! Nelson is a solid college player and she just won two qualifying matches. Great win for mikica! WHY THE HELL ARE THERE NO PICTURES ANYWHERE???????????? i thought that photographers would be all over this match :(
GREAT JOB MIKICA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

stevos
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Mirjana! :D

Awesome, so sad it wasn't Steph she was playing though :(

Good luck against Anna :unsure:

auntie janie
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:39 AM
My brother lives in San Jose,and him and other 10 Croats went to watch Mirjana....So Lucky....they said it was a great match...but were happy to talk to Mirjana after the match ...and took alot of pictures

Fantastic! I hope you can post some of their pics here soon.

Did they say if Mirjana is there with a coach? I wonder who she's been working with.

Derek.
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:41 AM
It's great to see her attempting a comeback and she's already won two matches. :)

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Any details/pics, possibly? :angel:

lecciones
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Congrats the scoreline is close!

MLucicSuper
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:18 AM
I will have pictures when he comes to San Jose. Mirjana was there with a coach,because after the first set the coach went to talk to her...he is also croatian i read somewhere,he was a player around 250 and his name is Beors i think od Beros?? Possibly that...my brother is 20 and he said Mirjana looked so hot. (his words) he said she was skinny,and that he never seen her in better shape..so I will send you all pictures when my brother comes home...also all of them are buying Mirjana flowers for her birthday.

croat123
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:35 AM
:D thanks so much

patricktav2003
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:47 AM
yessssss so happy for her she deserve to come back really because she didnt achieve what she could have done!!!
next against Anna it will be difficult cause Anna juste play the game Mirjana doenst like at all! so will se!! good luck!! i hope a win

bellascarlett
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Good for her. :)

RJWCapriati
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Nice!!!!

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the mini-report. :D

I'm so curious to see how Mirjana is playing these days. She was of one mind back in the day, and that was hit really hard and go for winners. I'm just wondering if she's still playing that game, and if so, to what degree. I really hope we'll see her on TV at some point this year.

LefandePatty
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:32 AM
:woohoo:

Ballbasher
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Miki :hearts: Just play good against Chaky ;) So great you can play on your b-day now :D

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:09 AM
So great you can play on your b-day now :D
I didnt know Friday was her bday. :eek: :D Is she turning 25 or 26?

disco_rage
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Well done Lucic! Hard luck Nelson!

frenchie
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM
great result!!
her comeback attempt is good IMO

Drake1980
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Congrats Mirjana!!

-sugi-
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Mirjana :yeah:

AaronJoyB
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I didnt know Friday was her bday. :eek: :D Is she turning 25 or 26?

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
http://www.ndtv.com/sports/showsports.asp?sportname=Tennis&slug=Dementieva+injures+right+rib&id=32838

Wild card Mirjana Lucic took another step in her comeback after nearly four years away from the game due to personal and financial problems. The German-born Croatian earned a 6-4, 7-6 (4) win over Lindsey Nelson of the United States in a first-round match on stadium court.

Lucic, a few days shy of her 25th birthday, said she never doubted that she would return as a great player, but financial difficulties prevented her from hiring a coach and doing the necessary traveling.

Now she plans to "just play from tournament to tournament and play as many matches as I can. Right now, I feel like I just won a Grand Slam. Right now, every match is huge for me."

The 6-foot Lucic, who said she still plays the same "strong, aggressive, powerful" game she did before her hiatus, will face No 8-seeded Anna Chakvetadze in the second round.

MistyGrey
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
:woohoo::woohoo:

Now Lucic vs Chaky! Want both of them to win, but I guess Miki needs the win more... Good Luck!!!!

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:54 AM
http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/wta-indian-wells/2007/sport_sto1109755.shtml

Lucic returns to winning ways

Croatia's Mirjana Lucic has set her sights on a productive return to the game after off-court issues forced her on to the sidelines for four years.

Lucic - who fled to the United States after being abused by her father - wrestled with financial problems before ending her long layoff at the Memphis Open last month.

"I've been at home, missing tennis a lot and spending time with my family," Lucic said after beating American Lindsey Nelson 6-4 7-6 in the Pacific Life Open first round.

"My family is everything to me. I have cried more days than you can imagine and got amazing help from my family. They tried to keep me busy through the French Open and Wimbledon and so on.

"This is no experiment," the 24-year-old added with fire in her eyes.

"In my head, I really never left. I'm absolutely back in the game after an incredibly difficult time. God willing, I will be better than ever."

Germany-born Lucic - who stunned the tennis world by reaching the Wimbledon semi-finals in 1999 before losing to her idol Steffi Graf - did not want to discuss her financial concerns.

"Not right now," she said.

"Until everything is solved, I want to focus on the game.

"I have no relationship with my father now. I got a new coach two and a half months ago and I've been training with my brothers."

Asked whether she had sufficient financial backing to compete regularly on the 2007 WTA Tour, she replied: "I'm not at that point yet but I feel very positive about it."

A gifted player as a teenager who won the 1996 junior US Open singles and the 1997 junior Australian Open singles and doubles titles, Lucic is delighted to be back at Indian Wells.

"It's four years, I believe, since I've been here and this is one of my favourite events," said the Croatian, who at 16 became the youngest player to complete a successful defence of a WTA Tour title at the 1998 Bol.

"I'm really, really excited. It feels like my soul is here. I'm completely at peace and at ease here. I just love this place."

Lucic accepts she will have to rely on several wildcard entries into WTA tournaments this season.

"For this year, my goal is to play from tournament to tournament," she said.

"Never before have I had a full year of, say, 20 tournaments. I want to play as many matches as I can for the next seven years."

Lucic faces eighth seed Anna Chakvetadze of Russia in the second round.

MistyGrey
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM
http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/wta-indian-wells/2007/sport_sto1109755.shtml

Lucic returns to winning ways

Croatia's Mirjana Lucic has set her sights on a productive return to the game after off-court issues forced her on to the sidelines for four years.

Lucic - who fled to the United States after being abused by her father - wrestled with financial problems before ending her long layoff at the Memphis Open last month.

"I've been at home, missing tennis a lot and spending time with my family," Lucic said after beating American Lindsey Nelson 6-4 7-6 in the Pacific Life Open first round.

"My family is everything to me. I have cried more days than you can imagine and got amazing help from my family. They tried to keep me busy through the French Open and Wimbledon and so on.

"This is no experiment," the 24-year-old added with fire in her eyes.

"In my head, I really never left. I'm absolutely back in the game after an incredibly difficult time. God willing, I will be better than ever."

Germany-born Lucic - who stunned the tennis world by reaching the Wimbledon semi-finals in 1999 before losing to her idol Steffi Graf - did not want to discuss her financial concerns.

"Not right now," she said.

"Until everything is solved, I want to focus on the game.

"I have no relationship with my father now. I got a new coach two and a half months ago and I've been training with my brothers."

Asked whether she had sufficient financial backing to compete regularly on the 2007 WTA Tour, she replied: "I'm not at that point yet but I feel very positive about it."

A gifted player as a teenager who won the 1996 junior US Open singles and the 1997 junior Australian Open singles and doubles titles, Lucic is delighted to be back at Indian Wells.

"It's four years, I believe, since I've been here and this is one of my favourite events," said the Croatian, who at 16 became the youngest player to complete a successful defence of a WTA Tour title at the 1998 Bol.

"I'm really, really excited. It feels like my soul is here. I'm completely at peace and at ease here. I just love this place."

Lucic accepts she will have to rely on several wildcard entries into WTA tournaments this season.

"For this year, my goal is to play from tournament to tournament," she said.

"Never before have I had a full year of, say, 20 tournaments. I want to play as many matches as I can for the next seven years."

Lucic faces eighth seed Anna Chakvetadze of Russia in the second round.

Thanx a lot for the article!
Mirjana :bounce:

:inlove:
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Mirjana ;) :D :bounce: :hearts: Nice one! :rocker2: :rocker2:
Lindsey :sad: :hug: Fantastic tournament though.

So Disrespectful
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I'm so happy for Mirjana! I always admired her game, but you never realize how much you'd miss a player until they've been out of the game for a while. She's still young and has many years to make her mark again. I just know she'll find her way back into the top 50.

faboozadoo15
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:39 AM

kick anna c's ass! blow her off the fucking court!

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM

kick anna c's ass! blow her off the fucking court!
LOL.

Ajmo.

Lulu.
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Nice article :)

BartoliBabes
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:26 AM
yeah mirjana!! great win considering the circumstances..
give it your best vs chakvetadze! you done good girl!:)

martinafan
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM
she sounds very positive! :bounce:

She also mentioned she wants to play a full schedule! :D :D :D

And that she wants to play for the next SEVEN years! that's cool! :D

tobi
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Congrats Mirjana :)

Now vs Chakvetadze :help: :help:

Monica_Rules
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Mirjana:)

Great to see her win here, proves a few people wrong. I hope she can give a decent match against a seed in the next round, then play some challengers to get more wins and a ranking:o

Geertvg
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Yay!! Great result Mirjana :D

Freakan
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Harju.
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Congrats Miki. :yeah:
Great to see her playing again. She couldn't have asked for a better 1st round opponent in T1 than this.

MLF
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Pic of Mirjana from match :

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1897/bildedl5.jpg

Uranus
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Well done Mirjana! :D

Hope no bagel vs. Chakvetadze :scared: , except if Mirjana wins with this bagel ;)