PDA

View Full Version : Arantxa Sanchez Vicario wants Venus to play Barcelona

tennisIlove09
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Venus under negotiation period

Should dealings with the organizing board crop up, American Venus Williams might be back in for the WTA tournament in Barcelona, to be held June 11.06-03 | 14:08 hs. - Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario, director of the trophy, was at the tournament’s opening day, accompanied by the Spanish Real Federation of Tennis (RFET) Pedro Muñoz, and several former tennis players that were present at the meeting held at the Generalitat General Secretary of Sports, such as Sergi Bruguera, Carles Costa, and current Spanish captain Emilio Sanchez-Vicario.

Colombian Catalina Castaño, Spaniard Lourdes Dominguez, French Emilie Loit, Italian Romina Oprandi, and American Meghann Shaughnessy will appear at the WTA Barcelona, to be held there for the first time in 12 years.

Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario is working on current first seed Spaniard Anabel Medina’s inclusion, as well as hip figure Venus Williams.

Despite the rules forbidding top ten seeds to take part in a tournament of such characteristics, Arantxa unveiled her objectives: she wants to rally the competition from a current Tier IV to a Tier III, and to a Tier II in 2009.

Moreover, this year’s budget amounts to 500 thousand dollars, 145 devoted to awards. It is expected to increase up to 700 in 2008, to be ballooned to 1 million in 2009.

This is deemed possible due to an extension to the contract sponsored by Kia firm, which was announced at the presentation.

Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario pointed out that for the WTA to approve of this tournament, the audience must show a good response to it and the La Teixonera Stadium must be full to its capacity (3.450 sits). The fee, thus, will cost 5 euros.

Pedro Muñoz praised the RFET’s job for women tennis and promised that by 2009 Spain will count on 8 to 9 top 100 players.

JonBcn
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
It would be brilliant, but I'd be stunned to see Venus choosing to play on clay in between Roland Garros and Wimbledon...

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Barcelona should be in April, make it dual event with Mens Open Seat Godo.
having it on at same time as Birmingham :( :o

tennisIlove09
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM
It would be brilliant, but I'd be stunned to see Venus choosing to play on clay in between Roland Garros and Wimbledon...

Me too. I dont think she's played any warm-up since 98 or 99.

spiceboy
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM

As it used to be many years ago...

So far Castaño, Loit, Medina Garrigues, Domínguez Lino and Oprandi are confirmed so no harm done to Birmingham. These players would had never played there anyway ;)

frontier
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
why pick up an injury before wimbledon,if i am venus i will ask for a hefty amount in appearance fees.i think they saw what venus did in instabul and memphis bringing publicity to an obscure tournament.

Solitaire
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Would be silly for Venus to play a tiny clay court event when she should be getting ready for Wimb. I'm sure after RG clay is the last thing on her mind.

Direwolf
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
well.. an injury can happen anytime
and she can use this Barcelona tournament as a warmup to Wimbledon...
she's a natural grass court player anyway, her
body adapts fast to it...

well... she's really a great sports person and I think that it would take her to reach the 2nd week of Roland Garros for her not to play Barcelona...

and she has great respects for the legends of the game...

MistyGrey
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
If this event is on clay,then Venus shouldnot play here.

kiwifan
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Would be silly for Venus to play a tiny clay court event when she should be getting ready for Wimb. I'm sure after RG clay is the last thing on her mind.

No kidding.

There's no way she should be anywhere other than on the grass.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Vee probably won't play there. And since when is Arantxa excited by the sisters? Didn't she use to hate them?

MrSerenaWilliams
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I dunno, she looks up to ASV, but the scheduling is sketchy. I hope she plays it if they move it back to like a week or two before RG. They really should make this a combined event with the Godo Event in April.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I don't think it matters to Venus.
We really have no idea how Venus feels when it comes to where she is at this point in her career.
Sanchez Vicario might though.
We know that Venus doesn't like the repetition of the tour, it was just one of the reasons she decided to play Istanbul and was scheduled to play Stockholm.
This is right in the ballpark of something Venus might consider.

For most of the clay season last year, Venus played what I considered a grass court game.
It worked on a clay very well but she went away from it on the grass.
She wasn't as aggressive in her match with Jankovic and lost because of it, some of that due to Jelena's gamestyle, some of it due to Venus.

Because Venus is usually so aggressive on all surfaces,
I don't think playing an extra week of clay is going to hurt.

MrSerenaWilliams
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Vee probably won't play there. And since when is Arantxa excited by the sisters? Didn't she use to hate them?

nah, just Serena...Venus never tried to hit her :lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM
nah, just Serena...Venus never tried to hit her :lol:

Didn't she say in her interview after RG 2000: I beat Venus in the quarterfinals on the same court that I beat her sister after being down a set and 5-3, and im proud of that? or sthing along those lines?

Monica_Rules
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Can't see it if its after wimbledon

venus_rulez
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Interesting that of all the top players, Arantxa wants Venus.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Didn't she say in her interview after RG 2000: I beat Venus in the quarterfinals on the same court that I beat her sister after being down a set and 5-3, and im proud of that? or sthing along those lines?

And...?
It's a big deal to some.
The wta writes in a profile when players beat the williams sisters at the same tournament or in the same year.
Sanchez Vicario beat them on the same court.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I'm not saying it's wrong or anything. I just remembered always being some tension between the williams camp and arantxa

MrSerenaWilliams
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM
yeah, but I guess she grew up :lol:

dangerjenny
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
i hope she plays there.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:47 PM
yeah, but I guess she grew up :lol:

Or I guess she knows that a Williams would be awesome for her so-so tourney so far ;)

John.
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I can't see it happening. Venus will be want to prepare for Wimbledon and I can't see her doing that on a Clay Court

MistyGrey
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
ASV has a history with the Williamses. She has a pretty good record against them as well.

Infiniti2001
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
ASV has a history with the Williamses. She has a pretty good record against them as well.

I think Venus has quite a bit of respect for ASV, but I can't see Venus playing in Barcelona . Meanwhile Vee is 6-3 against her-- they played on clay 3 times, Vee won twice and ASV won the most important (at RG of course). Too lazy to look up ASV's record against Serena :p

The Daviator
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM
There's no way Venus will play this event :lol:

Why is a clay-court event being held directly after RG? :tape:

LDF
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM
There's no way Venus will play this event :lol:

Why is a clay-court event being held directly after RG? :tape:

It's the only time they could fit it in, I guess :shrug:

Plus there are always some clay lovers who want to rack up as many points as possible on the dirt ;)

Randy H
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I don't think there's any tension between Venus/Serena and Arantxa. Early in Serena's career perhaps, mainly after the Roland Garros 98 match, but after that they always appeared friendly. Never saw any animosity with Venus and Arantxa, I remember Venus saying a few nice things about Arantxa while they were on tour, and both being quite amicable with one another after some really good matches :)

All 3 are some of the greatest fighters on the court I've ever seen, so I'm sure they hold a lot of respect for eachother ;)

I'd be surprised if Venus plays, but maybe Arantxa can work her charm :angel:

Williams-forever
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Venus, please don't listen...It would be a bad decision to play Barcelona :help:

The Daviator
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
It's the only time they could fit it in, I guess :shrug:

Plus there are always some clay lovers who want to rack up as many points as possible on the dirt ;)

The week of the 23rd of April there's just a Tier IV, why not put it there :scratch:

Drake1980
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Nice list playing Barcelona so far!!

ASP0315
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:42 PM

my thoughts too. They could atleast kept it on the same week as charleston or amelie island.(they will better fields during those weeks as many players prefer to play in Europe.)

spiceboy
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Interesting that of all the top players, Arantxa wants Venus.

No top 10 players are allowed to play Tier IV tournaments ;)

Dawn Marie
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
well.. an injury can happen anytime
and she can use this Barcelona tournament as a warmup to Wimbledon...
she's a natural grass court player anyway, her
body adapts fast to it...

well... she's really a great sports person and I think that it would take her to reach the 2nd week of Roland Garros for her not to play Barcelona...

and she has great respects for the legends of the game...

Are you crazy?

Playing a clay court tourney as a warm up to Wimby is nuts! If anything she should play eastbourne.

I want to see this spanish tourney do well but why do these people place tourneys in the wrong place and time? The WTA and ATP need to coordinate their venues better. :help:

raquel
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Wishful thinking from Arantxa, but I hope she somehow gets a big name for the event :)

As for tension between Arantxa and Venus/Serena, I think that was left on the court a long time ago. Arantxa played doubles with Venus in Hong Kong a couple of years ago.

jimbo mack
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
arantxa would be better off asking the top 20 clay loving players like schynder as opposed to the grass loving venus

schiavone could be another option?

sfselesfan
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I think playing a clay court tournament between RG and Wimbledon is moronic.

Why change a successful formula? Venus has the best record at Wimbledon of all active players.

SF

spiceboy
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Arantxa should try to convince Monica to play in Barcelona at least doubles :bounce:

sfselesfan
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM
It's the stupidest time to plan a clay court tournament.

SF

UncleZeke
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Arantxa wants Venus to play Barcelona. And I want Santa to bring me a million dollars in small, unmarked bills for Christmas. But, I wouldn't bet on either one happening ..

:inlove:
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Er...nice try Arantxa. Shame it's never gonna work. :bigwave:

MrSerenaWilliams
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I think Vee might actually play if the scheduling were better.

Paneru
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM
People lampooning the idea of Venus playing this tournament,
now watch her shock everyone and actually play. :lol: ;)

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Mar 8th, 2007, 02:43 AM
"Hip figure?" I know what they mean. It's an honour for Venus I'm sure. But I'd be surprised to see her go there before Roland Garros. But who knows, maybe Venus might show up there.

maddogz48
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Arantxa wants Venus to play Barcelona. And I want Santa to bring me a million dollars in small, unmarked bills for Christmas. But, I wouldn't bet on either one happening ..

:lol: