PDA

View Full Version : Bar Graf,can we easily say germany....

MakarovaFan
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:22 AM
has been the most underachieving/dissapointing country in the last 20-30 years from the very top(Huber) to the low(Buric):

Aside from Graf there have been very few suprises(Khode-Kilsch,Rittner,Mueller,Hack,,An. Barna,Schruff,Porwik) and even fewer players living up to promise(Graf,Bunge).....as compared to so many players who never live up to promise(Huber,touted next Graf but only twice? got beyond SF in a major;Groenefeld,Koctha,Begerow,Weingatner,Kandarr ,Buric,Jerabek,Roesch,Bachmann,
Priachin,Matic,Petkovic,Kardys(def touted)Kerber,Henke,Kloesel,Glass,Abe,?Wagner,Lama de,Arn,Woehr,Schmidle,Duebbers,Lohrmann,Schnitzer, Steinbach,Jolk
Klascka,

Any german fans don't think im being mean,cuz i luv em(Kandarr,An Barna,Koctha,Weingartner!!,Rittner,Kloesel,Schruff

Asif_Nawaz
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:27 AM
THats not avery valid point!

I dont think it is disappointing for a country to have at least 4 or 5 players in the TOP 100 AT THE SAME TIME!Actually, Germany has been consistently turning out players of tremendous talent who get to top 30 - top 50 or even top15(Anna-Lena),Theres been Graf,Huber,etc. as well.

*Jool*
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:28 AM
you forget Wiltrud Probst :p

lol

thrust
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:35 AM
What about England?

Sugar_Kane
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:45 AM
What about England?

exactly what i was thinking. We have the most prestigeous tournament but still have yet to provide the champions :help:

MakarovaFan
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM
THats not avery valid point!

I dont think it is disappointing for a country to have at least 4 or 5 players in the TOP 100 AT THE SAME TIME!Actually, Germany has been consistently turning out players of tremendous talent who get to top 30 - top 50 or even top15(Anna-Lena),Theres been Graf,Huber,etc. as well.

Ok,but many of those girls were HIGHLY touted....and consistently top 30 or 15...um who besides Graf,Huber and Groenefled in last 5,heck 10 years!!!

And how many HIGHLY touted British prospects have there been(be honest) and of those how many were really expetec to get top 50 or even top 20!!!

tenn_ace
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Aus wasn't particularly successful either

MakarovaFan
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Aus wasn't particularly successful either

And again,similar to England...since the days of Margaret Court and such there never have been any "grandslam" prospects....the early 90s saw Bradtke and Mcquillian as the main standouts...but since other than Molik and Stosur(and i guess Dokic) and the journey woman Pratt,there have been no REAL potential...BUT TRUE Australia is a bit of a let down as there have been quite a few "minor"dissapointments(Ellwood,Drake-Brockman,Wheeler,Graham,Dominikovic,Szili etc.)

Nervenbuendel
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Dear Makarova-Fan,

here is a list of German Top 15 Players within the last 30 years - everyone of them won some titles

1. Steffi Graf (Highest Ranking: No. 1)
2. Anke Huber (Highest Ranking: No. 4)
3. Claudia Kohde-Kilsch (Highest Ranking: No. 4)
4. Sylvia Hanika (Highest Ranking: No. 5)
5. Bettina Bunge (Highest Ranking: No. 6)
6. Sabine Hack (Highest Ranking: No. 13)
7. Anna-Lena Grönefeld (Highest Ranking: No. 14)

After all Germany has had round around 30-40 players in the Top 100

On the other side you are right that a real smashing player is rare these days so Germany has made only two WTA-Titels in five years (Müller and Grönefeld). So we see: The situation could be worse (keeping in mind that England, Poland, Brazil, Portugal, .... were underperformers in the last decades) but still can't satisfy.

SeanyQ
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Sabine Hack!! :hearts: :worship:

MistyGrey
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Dear Makarova-Fan,

here is a list of German Top 15 Players within the last 30 years - every one of them won some titles

1. Steffi Graf (No. 1)
2. Anke Huber (No. 4)
3. Claudia Kohde-Kilsch (No. 4)
4. Sylvia Hanika (No. 5)
5. Bettina Bunge (No. 6)
6. Sabine Hack (No. 13)
7. Anna-Lena Grönefeld (No. 14)

Looks impressive to me.

And why bar Graf?? Germany has 22 womens singles majors, end of story.

faboozadoo15
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Germany is pretty much a disappointment in every aspect of life. Tennis shouldn't be a surprise.

MistyGrey
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Germany is pretty much a disappointment in every aspect of life. Tennis shouldn't be a surprise.

:retard:

Kampi
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Wow, no further comment....but wait a second...could you please tell me why? I'm just curious.

MistyGrey
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Wow, no further comment....but wait a second...could you please tell me why? I'm just curious.

Stupidity and ignorance dont really have a cause...

~Carsten~
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM
:lol: great thread
why should we take this thread seriously? :shrug:
but it was good that we talked about it :haha: :hug:

*JR*
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Germany did give the WTA both Rainer Harnecker and Rainer Hofmann. :o

John.
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:25 PM
:rolleyes: @ this thread.

GB really hs something to moan about with regards to great female tennis players

Apoorv
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Why Bar Graf? No country other than USA or may be Australia have any player like Steffi Graf from Germany. I would trade a 100 top cricket players to get one Steffi like girl in tennis.

matthias
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM

look at his avatar and you will know why

Deck
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:29 PM
no, sorry..

matthias
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
to get back to the title of the thread
i think many countries would have been happy to have a player like Huber, but since Germany had Steffi noone gave any credit to Anke.
and i think you can not expect to have always a top10 player
look at Spain, after Sanchez and Martinez there is nearly nothing else (spoken in your standards - not mine)

so just enjoy the time with great players, because you never know when you the next

Kart
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Ok,but many of those girls were HIGHLY touted....and consistently top 30 or 15...um who besides Graf,Huber and Groenefled in last 5,heck 10 years!!!

Those players were highly touted because of Graf.

ChrisCologne
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I Loved Sabine Hack!!!

MistyGrey
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I Loved Sabine Hack!!!

And I havent forgiven her for beating Mary in the 94 Housten Final! :p

GoDominique
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Yes, because the Seles stabbing and trial covers every aspect of life.

K.

ChrisCologne
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
She gave Graf a 6-0 in Berlin in a first set once - Sabine Hack could have achieved more by far when not being struck by injury in 1996. 1993-1995 were great years for year.

shrOOf
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
:o @ the shit people talk here.

tonybotz
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM
"Who won the war?! WE Won the war!"-Grace Slick:devil:

shrOOf
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Stupidity and ignorance dont really have a cause...

look at the woman in your avatar and you'll know what stupidity is :wavey:

GoDominique
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:04 PM
:silly:

MistyGrey
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:03 AM
look at the women in your avatar and you'll know what stupidity is :wavey:

First of all, Read properly before attacking others, Kampi asked why some people were so negative about Germany, and my post implied that such people are stupid or ignorant.

shrOOf
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM
First of all, Read properly before attacking others, Kampi asked why some people were so negative about Germany, and my post implied that such people are stupid or ignorant.
Secondly, I have only one woman in my avatar, not women.
Thirdly, its Mary Pierce in my avatar! :hearts:

sorry;)

MistyGrey
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:02 PM
:wavey:

shrOOf
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:37 PM
:wavey:

:kiss:

dutchsf
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM
BEcause she can't pop out Steffi every other year doesn;t mean you suck as a country

dutchsf
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Germany is way better overall then australian en definitely England

AlwaysGraf
Mar 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I love Germany. I want to live there :) I'd love to live in New York too, but I'll stick to Scotland for the time being :)

irma
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I don't think tennis in Germany was very big before 1985

LondonSteve
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I love Germany. I want to live there :) I'd love to live in New York too, but I'll stick to Scotland for the time being :)

But you say your location is Ireland? You know what they say about the Irish and Scots? They spend half their lives trying to get out of Ireland and/or Scotland. The other half banging on about how wonderful Scotland/Ireland is.

Personally, I wonder why Scots/Irish don't just stay there! As for Germany being your first choice of 'homeland', I think that makes you Irish!

But given you are where you are, I think it makes it your 'kampf'!!

Nervenbuendel
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I don't think tennis in Germany was very big before 1985

Germany had had a "golden area of tennis" in the 30ies of the last century with successful representatives containing both sexes.

Hilde Sperling for example claimed far behind 100 titles (she was the predecessor of Steffi Graf) including the French Open.

Cilly Aussem was the first german women to win Wimbledon, she also won the French Open.

MakarovaFan
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:36 PM
People,people,people you have taken this completly wrong;im not saying Germany sucks,i merely said of the tons of German players that were "supposed" to be great or had huge potential how many other than Graf lived up to that.That statement lead me to say that Germany,BASED on that, is probably the biggest tennis dissapointmentDear Makarova-Fan,

here is a list of German Top 15 Players within the last 30 years - every one of them won some titles

1. Steffi Graf (Highest Ranking: No. 1)
2. Anke Huber (Highest Ranking: No. 4)
3. Claudia Kohde-Kilsch (Highest Ranking: No. 4)
4. Sylvia Hanika (Highest Ranking: No. 5)
5. Bettina Bunge (Highest Ranking: No. 6)
6. Sabine Hack (Highest Ranking: No. 13)
7. Anna-Lena Grönefeld (Highest Ranking: No. 14)

After all Germany has had round around 30-40 players in the Top 100

On the other side you are right that a real smashing player is rare these days so Germany has made only two WTA-Titels in five years (Müller and Grönefeld). So we see: The situation could be worse (keeping in mind that England, Poland, Brazil, Portugal, .... were underperformers in the last dekades) but still can't satisfy.

Okay,you named 7 players who've made TOP 15 in last 30 YEARS!!! This from Germany,a "powerhouse" nation......Sure in reality Steffi alone probably makes up and will make up for any dissapointments in the next 10-15 years but still there have only been FIVE TOP 10 WOMEN in the last 30 years from a country who should be and was expected to be producing them by the dozens.....and please Poland,Brazil,Portugal blah blah blah,how many players were even expected to be GOOD from those countries;only England counts AND LIKE I AGREED England is a dissapointment but comparitavely(??) Germany is moreso

MakarovaFan
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:45 PM
to get back to the title of the thread
i think many countries would have been happy to have a player like Huber, but since Germany had Steffi noone gave any credit to Anke.
and i think you can not expect to have always a top10 player
look at Spain, after Sanchez and Martinez there is nearly nothing else (spoken in your standards - not mine)

so just enjoy the time with great players, because you never know when you the next

Yes yes yes i agree Spain is another country(but hell they were like the belgium of the late 90s,two top stars and no other threats EXCEPT Spain had about 10 more decent plyers in top 100/150 whereas belgium...uh...)that is slightly dissapointing BUT AGAIN you are missing the point;"and i think you can not expect to have always a top10 player" problem was they WERE expecting more top 10 players(MANY top 10 players) and so that point makes my topic....what happened to those many POTENTIAL PROSPECTS AND CHAMPS