PDA

View Full Version : What financial fine would MAKE players play an event?

Reuchlin
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:32 AM
I say $500,000 per event would get their butts on court (for the top 10 of course). Or maybe a % of year end prize money?

Greenout
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:37 AM
It's not about the $$$.

Players are human. They will go to tournaments where local organizers are top notch, and treat them well.

Ever heard of players complain about Tokyo right after Melbourne? No! Because they are treated so well, and enjoy being there.

You can't drag players to tournaments because of it being a Tier I. Alot of Tier II's have better draws than Tier I's because the organizers work harder for the current tour regulars.

Players enjoy Bali and Eastbourne, neither are Tier I's. Warsaw, Filderstadt and Linz are other Tier II's that also have good draws and good WC's stars. I don't think it's a coincidence that the majority of Tier II's that have great draws or WC's are not American hardcourt events.

It all comes down to the tournament organizers and our American tour directors do not know how to treat players.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM
It's not about the $$$.

This is the wrong way. Players are human. They will go to tournaments where there local organizers are top notch, and treat them well.

Ever heard of players complain about Tokyo right after Melbourne? No! Because they are treated so well, and enjoy being there.

You can't drag players to tournaments because of it being a Tier I. Alot of Tier II's have better draws than Tier I's because the organizers are living on past glories - and not trying to work harder for the current tour regulars.

Players like Bali and Eastbourne? Neither are Tier I's. Warsaw, Filderstadt and Linz are other Tier II's that have good draws and good WC's stars? I don't think it's a coicidence that the majority of Tier II's that have great draws or WC's are not American hardcourt events.

It all comes down to the tournament organizers and our American tour directors do not know how to treat players.
exactly. i mean, when Bali gets at least two big names despite being a lower tier you know they're doing something good. IW on the other hand...:tape: :help:

goldenlox
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:42 AM
How much would you have to fine Sharapova to force her to play?
The WTA has to work with its stars, not try to bully them.

Tie-Break
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Plus the stars that don't turn up are multi-millionaires $500,000 is just interest on their money. It's nothing to them is it?

Duh??????????

Tennace
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:21 AM
If certain top players did not want to go to a tournament, they wouldnt really care about the fines. Players should not be forced to play tournaments, and I think that is why Indian Wells suffers, because Miami in mandatory.

Greenout
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:27 AM
IW isn't doing anything wrong, they are probably doing exactly what they did 20 years ago. This is where the problem lies - they aren't doing more for the players. IW means nothing to non-American players which nowadays is 90% of the tour.

There is no tradition of playing IW, unless you were Lindsay or Pete Sampras and live in California.

You can't' compare the hospitality of a Bali and a Dubai or the local charm of Eastbourne to IW. Indian Wells is a rich Repubican city with a golf course, an older population, and people with second homes that work in other parts of Southern California.

faboozadoo15
Mar 7th, 2007, 07:29 AM
exactly. i mean, when Bali gets at least two big names despite being a lower tier you know they're doing something good. IW on the other hand...:tape: :help:

players (other than venus and serena) have always loved indian wells. they treat the players wonderfully at the spa, and it's one of the most relaxing torunamants all year. It's just placed badly, and now that miami is mandatory, it's made things even worse.