PDA

View Full Version : Will/Should the French Open Use the Challenge System?

woosey
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM
the thread about the french open and serena williams made me think about whether or not they'll use the challenge system. from serena's standpoint, the absence of a challenge system probably helped cost her that final against against henin.

but then nadal was complaining about the inaccuracy of hawkeye in dubai and wanted it in the french open because the marks would prove hawkeye was wrong.

do they need hawkeye or some sort of computerized challenge system at the french open where marks are left on the court?

and what about wimbledon?they are so old school who knows if they'll use it.

Mina Vagante
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM
yes and yes

Nicolás89
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
oui:drool:

John.
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Yes

FrenchY52
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Why did everyone badrep him pfff :o

Pureracket
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Why did everyone badrep him pfff :oLOL!!!!! I would imagine the same reason you do it. The reps are probably as insignificant as you are.

woosey
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Why did everyone badrep him pfff :o

you mean badmouthing rafa? probably because people don't think his loss was gracious - just a pit of excuses.

just as with serena at the french, you could argue that they are strong enough players to come back from horrific calls. maybe people don't like him questioning a system that provides great entertainment because it supposedly reveals the truth.

dangerjenny
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
i think they should.

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
The differences with clay and hardcourt surfaces is that clay leaves a very distinctive mark on the surface.

And, no, the French Open doesn't need to use the Challenge System.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
would be a waste of money cos the ball leaves a mark on the clay
and the cheaters get found out if they try to con.

lolas
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM
no

Aaron.
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Nadal :tape:

Mina Vagante
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
but if there is a grand slam which doesn't NEED it , it's the french. the umpire can come down and check the mark left in the clay! but it wold be advantagous:D

John.
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:35 PM
On occasion though, I have seen the umpire checking the wrong mark, or the player losing site of the mark.

Why not have Hawkeye as a back up?

Lillibet
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM
the marks are there though.. but would be interesting to see if hawkeye was accurate or not...!

MrSerenaWilliams
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
The ball leaves marks, but I have also heard that umps can sometimes erroneously check the wrong marks. :shrug: wouldn't hurt.

....and what JH did couldn't be caught by Hawk-Eye :o

Uranus
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I don't think that's really necessary even if sometimes the linesmen & the chair umpire do huge errors :tape:

jamatthews
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
On occasion though, I have seen the umpire checking the wrong mark, or the player losing site of the mark.

Why not have Hawkeye as a back up?

I agree, no need for the challenge system...but umpires can check hawkeye at their discretion if there is some kind of dispute involving the correct mark.

markhingis
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
It would be helpful back in '99 final. Now, umpire won't make a mistake and check the wrong mark. I just hope so.

Neptune
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
would be a waste of money cos the ball leaves a mark on the clay
and the cheaters get found out if they try to con.

Exactly my thought.No need to waste money.

davidmario
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
does the hawkeye work when there is clay on the lines?

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
but then nadal was complaining about the inaccuracy of hawkeye in dubai and wanted it in the french open because the marks would prove hawkeye was wrong.

Well woosey, you're back in the green for now and it's because you bring a very valid point.

Last year ESPN and NBC used hawkeye on the courts of the French Open and surprisingly there were enough discrepancies with either the marks or eyehawk itself to consider that maybe Nadal is on the right track.
In some cases of these discrepancies, they happened early on in a set, when it was obvious where the mark was.
The mark said in, hawkeye said just out.

I can't assume that a chair umpire, different ones at that would get that many marks wrong.
I can wonder about a system where we know that hawkeye isn't yet at 100% though.

Frode
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:10 PM
the marks are there though.. but would be interesting to see if hawkeye was accurate or not...!

My thoughts exactly.

Should be fun.