PDA

View Full Version : Lena Dementieva Was Handed A Brutal Draw At Indian Wells 2007

pierce0415
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:18 PM
have a look at Lena's potential path to remain a Top 10 player

2R: Serena Slayer Bammer
3R: Peng - In their last meeting on California hard courts, Shuai sent Lena packing in straight sets
4R: Ivanovic
Q: Petrova
S: Vaidisova / Kuznetsova
F: Sharapova / Jankovic

well we all know that Lena thrives under the pressure of difficult draws ... so maybe she will win this event

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM
its not really that tough. she should get past bammer, but then, like usual, she could slaughter or be slaughtered by the rest of those opponents.

.Andrew.
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I love Lena but I don't see her beating Ivanovic :shrug:

cellophane
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM
:eek: at Petrova being part of the tough draw

John.
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Lena is always a question mark. I can't see her beating Ivanovic though

.Andrew.
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM

Same. :shrug: No doubt that she can though, she's having a tough year.

No Name Face
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM
She does have a bad draw, but that makes me comfortable. When she beats all of them, then it will silence the haters.

miffedmax
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:01 PM
She does have a bad draw, but that makes me comfortable. When she beats all of them, then it will silence the haters.

Sadly, it wouldn't. Lena could win the three remaining Slams and YEC, find a cure for cancer, resolve the war Iraq with a just solution that works for everyone, discover a self-renewing, pollution-free source of energy, and sign autographs for every sick child on the face of the earth and there will still be slack-jawed troglodytes cutting and pasting "She doesn't belong in the Top 10 with her serve" (likely the only phrase they know) into a dozen threads every time the rankings come out.

I think she'll do okay with this draw, but I don't see her winning. I hope I'm wrong.

MistyGrey
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Sadly, it wouldn't. Lena could win the three remaining Slams and YEC, find a cure for cancer, resolve the war Iraq with a just solution that works for everyone, discover a self-renewing, pollution-free source of energy, and sign autographs for every sick child on the face of the earth and there will still be slack-jawed troglodytes cutting and pasting "She doesn't belong in the Top 10 with her serve" (likely the only phrase they know) into a dozen threads every time the rankings come out.

:lol::lol:

Foot's Fingers
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM

I think she'll do okay with this draw, but I don't see her winning. I hope I'm wrong.

POST OF A YEAR

jazar
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM
look at all those people who can actually take advantage of lena hitting 20 double faults per match. if she gets past ivanovic it will be a suprise

Mightymirza
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM

:spit:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM
:yawn:

Viktymise
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:12 PM

:worship:

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Gotta say, that's a tough draw. I think, rd of 16 will do her in.

squig2k
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:19 PM
:eek: the worst draw. she might get sent home by ivanovic, and be out of the top 10 in a weeks time :(
I dont see her beating ivanovic, petrova, kuznetsova/vaidisova, or sharapova/jankovic. oh well.

Poova
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
She'll be sent packing by Ivanovic... :wavey:

orfeus
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
...and if not, then by Golovin in the next round;)

blumaroo
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Lena D is 2-0 against Ivanovic though. She should get to the quarters but I hope Peng makes an upset.

Viktymise
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Lena D is 2-0 against Ivanovic though. She should get to the quarters but I hope Peng makes an upset.

H2H's are pretty immaterial when talking about lena's chances to be honest

Lulu.
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
She will make it to the Quarterfinals. She should beat Ivanovic easily

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I have more "fear" in Peng than Ivanovic .

Emina.
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
she can beat Ivanovic in my opinion :)

`

kinglear
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM

True, Lena tends to often to lose to easy players, and then beat the tough players. She's strange that way. :)

Highlandman
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Bammer shouldn't be a problem, I don't think that she loses now against Peng and Ivanovic? Not in bestform IMO...so yeah, QF is good possible and for sure more...;) ;)

Beny
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Peng beat Kim then,too..but now Peng plays much worse than then.. :p

dangerjenny
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'm always wondering when she has to play, but i don't think she can get by Anna.I hope that she surprises me.

Aaron.
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Elena is a better player then Ivanovic I say she should reach the QF even if not playing her best tennis.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I don't think Ivanovic can beat Lena.
Bammer and Peng have a chance, though...

Aaron.
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I doubt Ivanovic makes the 4R :tape: :help: We all know Ivanvoic is known for spraying her 60 errors per match.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
:lol: @ people thinking that Bammer and Peng have more chances to beat Dem than Ivanovic...

Andrew Laeddis
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM

not sure why not seeing she won their last two meetings and ivanovic is very inconsistent

UDACHi
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Gotta say, that's a tough draw. I think, rd of 16 will do her in.

She'll be sent packing by Ivanovic... :wavey:

why won't she beat ivanovic? she is much better than ana right now.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Lena usually copes well with mindless ball-bashers. Unless they're lower-ranked players. Ana is pretty high ranked...

Josh.
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:34 PM

:lol: @ first bit.

i can see her proving all those haters wrong and grinding out maybe a QF with this draw

Tennisation
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM

I think she'll do okay with this draw, but I don't see her winning. I hope I'm wrong.:haha: I love how u come to Lena's defense with great descriptions and then all of a sudden....."but i think she'll do ok, she won't win tho"

miffedmax
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
:haha: I love how u come to Lena's defense with great descriptions and then all of a sudden....."but i think she'll do ok, she won't win tho"

:lol: You're right--maybe I'm getting jaded after all these years.

Dementieva Guts
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Dementieva's faithfuls always get it straight up. Her ungoing stay in the top 10 is even more deserving than any other "top 10 player". She managed to stay on top of the world without taking juice or serving like psycho. She has the most complete game on tour (except Hingis). Tennis is not about crushing the back wall, it about using your agility, fighting spirit, mental toughness and shot's imagination. Dementieva has all these criteria deep in her back pocket.

For the record, her serve isn't that bad because no one has the guts to punish that 2nd serve. Her slices eliminate any kind of punishing winners. Dementieva biggest rival isn't the opponent in front of her but the wind. The only reason she hits so many DF is because of these windy conditions.

Slampova
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Lena will make the Quarters here at least... :) Ivanovic is far too overrated <_<

Reuchlin
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
QUOTE=miffedmax;10222984]Sadly, it wouldn't. Lena could win the three remaining Slams and YEC, find a cure for cancer, resolve the war Iraq with a just solution that works for everyone, discover a self-renewing, pollution-free source of energy, and sign autographs for every sick child on the face of the earth and there will still be slack-jawed troglodytes cutting and pasting "She doesn't belong in the Top 10 with her serve" (likely the only phrase they know) into a dozen threads every time the rankings come out.

I think she'll do okay with this draw, but I don't see her winning. I hope I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

dybbuk
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:08 PM
She will make it to the Quarterfinals. She should beat Ivanovic easily

of course you do :rolleyes:

I do see Lena making the RD16. Elena thrives under pressure, so who knows what will happen from there. I could see her beating Ana and making the final, or I could also see her losing 3 and 3 to the same player. It will be interesting to see how she does for sure.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:19 PM
She has the most complete game on tour (except Hingis).
:eek: :lol:

For the record, her serve isn't that bad because no one has the guts to punish that 2nd serve.
Her opponents don't try to "punish that 2nd serve" cos Lena doesn't leave them such opportunity by committing countless double faults. And, for the records, her winning percentage on the second serve is 30-35% usually.

But I got you: you were trying to be funny... ;) :devil:

mboyle
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Lena usually copes well with mindless ball-bashers. Unless they're lower-ranked players. Ana is pretty high ranked...

1. Ana is not Karolina Sprem. She thinks on court.
2. Ana is playing better tennis (Dementieva's been very average all year)
3. Dementieva lost to Vaidisova at Oz in straight sets.

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM

1. I used to like her game in the end of 2004 - first half of 2005 when she thought on the court indeed. Since then her tennis is getting more and more one-dimensional. IMO, of course.
2. I don't think so but anyway that has nothing to do with their potentional match-up.
3. Nicole is better than Ana in each and every department. She is ball-basher too but not mindless one.

RG Moonballer
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM
1. I used to like her game in the end of 2004 - first half of 2005 when she thought on the court indeed. Since then her tennis is getting more and more one-dimensional. IMO, of course.
2. I don't think so but anyway that has nothing to do with their potentional match-up.
3. Nicole is better than Ana in each and every department. She is ball-basher too but not mindless one.

But still - shit happens from time to time.

dybbuk
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:56 PM

I do disagree. Albeit a serve which she mixes up nicely, Vaidisova is a brainless ball-basher. She quite possibly plays one of the most uninspired games around. Watching her game and her tantrums is possibly one of the most painful things one can be subjected to.

Cp6uja
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Indian Wells TOP10 Seeds:

(1) SHARAPOVA - Ana beat her atleast once
(2) KUZNETSOVA - Ana beat her atleast once
(3) HINGIS - Ana beat her atleast once
(4) PETROVA - Ana beat her atleast once
(5) DEMENTIEVA - Ana never beat her
(6) VAIDISOVA - Ana beat her atleast once
(7) JANKOVIC - Ana beat her atleast once
(8) CHAKVETADZE - Ana beat her atleast once
(9) SAFINA - Ana beat her atleast once
(10) IVANOVIC - Ana beat herself atleast 11 times

I think that Ana have better chances to "complete" this list than Lena to stay unbeaten against my favourite youngstar...
Last year at this tournament, when Lena played much better tennis than this year so far (she reach IW final in 2006) in QF round Ana won 1st set against her and played nice before finish of 2nd...

So i agree that Lena have brutal Ivanovic/Petrova draw here...

AnnaK_4ever
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I do disagree. Albeit a serve which she mixes up nicely, Vaidisova is a brainless ball-basher. She quite possibly plays one of the most uninspired games around. Watching her game and her tantrums is possibly one of the most painful things one can be subjected to.

I like watching Nicole. Though her manners can be far from the best her game is very interesting for me.
But it's just MY opinion...

Dementieva Guts
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Ana Ivanovic appears to be playing stoned mile high. She's careless, no strategy, bash after bash, if it's between the lines; it's a goodie

The only two players that are thinkless than Ivanovic are sharapova and Vaidisova.

If Ivanovic struggles enough to get to Dementieva, Lena will slap russian bagels to her little dress.:wavey:

dybbuk
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I like watching Nicole. Though her manners can be far from the best her game is very interesting for me.
But it's just MY opinion...

of course. different opinions are what makes it fun. ;)

The Daviator
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Win the title Elena :rocker2:

the jamierbelyea
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Hopefully her intensity will be up for the entire tournament and she plays some good tennis.

bellascarlett
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Does lena really have that many haters?

gosh, I wonder what you'd do and say if you were a Sharapova fan. :lol:

blumaroo
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Ana does not think on court at all. She used to though when she started out. But then again Lena D is hardly the tactician herself. I'd say there's a 60% chance for a Lena victory depending how her injury is.
Nicole is a brainless ballbasher too but her power game has matured a lot so it doesn't seem as brainless.

selyoink
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I hardly see how having Peng in the third round is a tough draw. Peng is still living off that win against Clijsters in 2005.

bellascarlett
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Dementieva's faithfuls always get it straight up. She has the most complete game on tour (except Hingis).
:weirdo: delusional.

She is generally one-dimensional. Get over it. Most of her fans even the most devout ones accept it. :o

For the record, her serve isn't that bad because no one has the guts to punish that 2nd serve.

Yeah not really. If she doesn't get it right, BOTH her serves can get punished. And I've seen it many times.

The only reason she hits so many DF is because of these windy conditions.

:tape: :haha: most delusional post of the day.

Ana Ivanovic appears to be playing stoned mile high. She's careless, no strategy, bash after bash, if it's between the lines; it's a goodie

The only two players that are thinkless than Ivanovic are sharapova and Vaidisova.

If Ivanovic struggles enough to get to Dementieva, Lena will slap russian bagels to her little dress.:wavey:

I'd really stop right there. We've seen how meekly Lena can lose to Sharapova and Vaidisova. Maria knows to play her and now Nicole has as well. Both have great serves, great returns of serve, powerful accurate and consistent groundstrokes - this combo if played right and played to Lena's greatest weakness (serve) will almost always win against Lena. So if Maria & Nicole are more "thinkless" (it's thoughtless btw :o) as you say than Ana, I guess Lena should be :scared:

Thing is Ivanovic doesn't have the consistency of Maria or even Nicole, so Lena can be thankful. She still has a good chance.

bellascarlett
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Anyway, all that said. Lena better get her ass to the semifinals at least. :)

hu2891601
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:40 AM
What kind of result does Dementieva need from IW to remain in top 10?

NyCPsU
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:02 AM

:hearts:

:worship: this post

kinglear
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I hope y'all aren't lumping my baby Lena into the "brainless ball basher" category. :o Lena does "think." Plus, even if she never had a slice backhand or changed the pace, I'd still be mesmerized by her fast groundstrokes. ;)

miffedmax
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Does lena really have that many haters?

gosh, I wonder what you'd do and say if you were a Sharapova fan. :lol:

What they lack in numbers they make up for with repetitiveness.

(And you know, for all the crap about TOB and all that, I actually do like Masha quite a lot.)