PDA

View Full Version : WTA's Wacky Scheduling: Doha to become Tier I next year!

karin1492
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM
How's this for silly scheduling for the WTA: Doha is going to become a Tier I event in 2008. :eek: That would make three Tier I events in a row: Doha, Indian Wells, and Miami. :help: This all but assures that players like Henin won't play at IW anymore. I think more and more people will play the "Gulf Double": Dubai and Doha, instead of IW.

However, this may mean that they either intend to move Doha or Indian Wells in the future. The organizers at Doha talked about combining the men's and women's event in the future. I don't know if they plan on moving the men's event that is before the Aussie Open, or moving the women's event to before the Aussie Open. :confused: Either way, it's a very weird move by the WTA.

Here's a link to a story that talks about it:

A week after celebrating the announcement of equal prize-money for this year’s Wimbledon Championships, the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour are benefactors of a huge financial boost when prize money at next year’s Doha event will be doubled to $2.7m. Only the game’s four Grand Slams, the WTA Tour Championships in Madrid and the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami are more lucrative in terms of financial magnitude, and Doha will overtake long-standing tournaments such as Indian Wells, Rome, Moscow and Zurich in the money list.

“Tennis is important to this country and right now is the perfect time to stage an event,” said Sheikh Mohammed Bin Faleh Al-Thani, the president of the Qatar Tennis Federation who entertained the WTA’s chief executive, Larry Scott, last weekend and was assured Tier One status would be afforded to his event.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article1466781.ece

.Andrew.
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
:eek:

Corswandt
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
This probably means WTA Doha will be moved to January to be played simultaneously with ATP Doha, thus replacing Sydney as the big pre-AO warmup event.

John.
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:12 PM
They are going to have to move it at some point, if they are making IW Mandatory in 2009 :help:

Vlover
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE] I think more and more people will play the "Gulf Double": Dubai and Doha, instead of IW.

Great! I hope Venus & Serena play these tournies next year. Was it Dubai that Venus played once and even though she lost she was at final sitting with the Execs dressed in their local garb?:cool:

Doha will overtake long-standing tournaments such as Indian Wells, Rome, Moscow and Zurich in the money list.

I think Doha wants to down grade IW and is certainly doing everything to kick their butts and the top players seem to be going along with it.:lol:

saphir1
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
quite a shocker :eek:

I never thought Dubai being a major sponsor of the WTA would allow them to award Doha Tier I status...

Nicolás89
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
why doha instead of dubai? :scratch:

FrenchY52
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
:o :(
Doha doesn't deserve to be a TierI

John.
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
why doha instead of dubai? :scratch:

I would have thought Dubai would be made a Tier 1 over Doha also.

Especially as Dubai Duty Free is one of the tour's sponsors.

karin1492
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour are benefactors of a huge financial boost when prize money at next year’s Doha event will be doubled to $2.7m. Only the game’s four Grand Slams, the WTA Tour Championships in Madrid and the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami are more lucrative in terms of financial magnitude, and Doha will overtake long-standing tournaments such as Indian Wells, Rome, Moscow and Zurich in the money list.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$

wateva
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM
those arab countries are really filthy rich... :o

jimbo mack
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM
well doha have mega bucks (e.g. thanks to oil) which is why they can afford to do this

but they will definitely need to move this tournament to january as an australian open warm up, which would make alot of sense as the surface is rebound ace :) (they can't possibly have three tier 1's in a row :o )

but what happens to dubai? if they put doha in january will players really want to fly out to the middle east again in february to play dubai?

it will be interesting to see what the wta will do....

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
well doha have mega bucks (e.g. thanks to oil) which is why they can afford to do this

but they will definitely need to move this tournament to january as an australian open warm up, which would make alot of sense as the surface is rebound ace :) (they can't possibly have three tier 1's in a row :o )

but what happens to dubai? if they put doha in january will players really want to fly out to the middle east again in february to play dubai?

probably nothing

Dawn Marie
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Good this is a great move imho.

I say downgrade IW. Doha and Dubai have a great atmosphere and they are willing to put monies into the tourney and players!

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I never see any fans in Doha :o

jazar
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM
of course doha will be a tier 1, the arabs have paid their way into the tennis world

Billabong
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Good this is a great move imho.

I say downgrade IW. Doha and Dubai have a great atmosphere and they are willing to put monies into the tourney and players!

Hhhhmm Indian Wells have one of the biggest and nicest stadiums in the world, it also has a lot of history and there's an ATP TMS there also, so I doubt they would downgrade it.

All I hope is that they don't make any other Tier-1 event, because there will be too many and they won't be that much special anymore...

goldenlox
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM
IW will stay a super Tier I, and the prizemoney will double.
Dubai and Doha will both be Tier I's.
It's about time the WTA started this process.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Well Doha was the location of the Asian Games late last year which Doha did a good job with except when it came to weather forecasting.

It showed that Doha might have the ability to deal with the Olympics Games in 2016 or 2020.
This is just another chance for Doha to show that they are ready for the Olympic Games.
They definately have the money, that's for sure.

Likely Doha will be moved to Janurary, something that I thought should happen to give a two week break.
It's about time Indian Wells admitted to its inability to bring in a good field consistently and become a joint Tier II/Master Series event (that lasts only a week on the women's side) giving players the choice to play that or Acupulco (which could be moved up a week).

~Carsten~
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM
i thought they want to move Doha into January. Like the Mens Tournament

Volcana
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM
:o :(
Doha doesn't deserve to be a TierIWhy does the term 'deserve' even apply here? That statement, devoid of context, seems singularly stupid.

jazar
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM
i thought they want to move Doha into January. Like the Mens Tournament

they want to move the mens tournament from january cos attendances for the last few years have been poor most of the time

~Carsten~
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
they want to move the mens tournament from january cos attendances for the last few years have been poor most of the time

I don't follow the men any more. But I can remember in 95/96 when Edberg won Doha the attendances were great.
But if I look at the attendance in Doha & Dubai in last weeks (WTA & ATP), it was very poor too, except for the Final.

In The Zone
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
It actually doesn't say Doha is a Tier I. It just says the prize money will be higher than most Tier I's. Dubai's prize money has been higher than Tier I's for a while now. This could be a step towards 2009 but it is not a Tier I -- yet.

Direwolf
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:29 PM

well..thats what they do in ATP...
and...i think that it would be cool if Dubai would become carpet
and they could schedule it after TOKYO:

Tokyo
Dubai
Paris
Antwerp

Asia-->Middle East-->Europe

it would be really cool if they put Doha as the big event of the year...

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Tokyo
Dubai
Paris
Antwerp

It does seem practically sound except for the part that Dubai is into making money not wasting it.
Putting carpet down would kinda be a waste.

rjd1111
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM
How's this for silly scheduling for the WTA: Doha is going to become a Tier I event in 2008. :eek: That would make three Tier I events in a row: Doha, Indian Wells, and Miami. :help: This all but assures that players like Henin won't play at IW anymore. I think more and more people will play the "Gulf Double": Dubai and Doha, instead of IW.

However, this may mean that they either intend to move Doha or Indian Wells in the future. The organizers at Doha talked about combining the men's and women's event in the future. I don't know if they plan on moving the men's event that is before the Aussie Open, or moving the women's event to before the Aussie Open. :confused: Either way, it's a very weird move by the WTA.

A week after celebrating the announcement of equal prize-money for this year’s Wimbledon Championships, the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour are benefactors of a huge financial boost when prize money at next year’s Doha event will be doubled to $2.7m. Only the game’s four Grand Slams, the WTA Tour Championships in Madrid and the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami are more lucrative in terms of financial magnitude, and Doha will overtake long-standing tournaments such as Indian Wells, Rome, Moscow and Zurich in the money list.

“Tennis is important to this country and right now is the perfect time to stage an event,” said Sheikh Mohammed Bin Faleh Al-Thani, the president of the Qatar Tennis Federation who entertained the WTA’s chief executive, Larry Scott, last weekend and was assured Tier One status would be afforded to his event.

Easy fix. Junk IW. No body plays anymore anyways.

laurie
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Money talks

TheItalianStyle
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
How many TierI do they want to do???

Uranus
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Really weird. :weirdo:

Bad scheduling :tape:

Brashkoala
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
that's retarded. dubai should be the tier one, not doha. doha can't even afford to buy their ballkids proper uniforms. they all wore oversized grade school uniforms. they looked like the just got out for the day of a catholic grade school.

Frode
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Like Bob Dylan said:

The Times They Are A-Changing.

Better get used to it. The WTA will follow the money.

Unless USA produces more players like the Williams sisters, Davenport etc.
Us tournaments are gonna be less important.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Doha is out of place where it is now as its played on rebound ace

the mens tourn acts as a warm up for Aus Open
where the womens tourn does nothing.

Tennisaddict
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Too bad they won´t upgrade Dubai I find that tournament much more appealing and Tier I worthy.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM

Tokyo
Dubai
Paris
Antwerp

the faster the court, the harder it will be for Justine to win. so no. we can have carpet at the end of the year.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Too bad they won´t upgrade Dubai I find that tournament much more appealing and Tier I worthy.
i agree. Same with Filderstadt because they always have most of the top playerrs playing there, barring the last two years (when injuried came in. they had good lists)

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Upgrade whatever, but dont touch IW.

Its one of the best tennis place in the world and also its history that is like a Grandslam.

nathie
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM
if doha (and/or dubai) becomes Tier I, what about shahar peer and others players from israel ?

goldenlox
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Not only will Doha be a Tier I, their prizemoney is going way up.
Shahar can play it, but she will probably refuse to play there.

saphir1
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:41 AM
I thought about this matter again and I don't believe Doha will be Tier 1 next year... Actually they do not meet the requirements of a Tier I tournament in terms of capacity. But maybe Scott assured the same number of Top 10 players as in a Tier I tournament (because of the high prize money).

Marcus1979
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:17 AM
if not for the fact that SYdney is a week before AO it would be a Tier I already I reckon. If quite often pulls stronger fields than Tokyo.