PDA

View Full Version : Should the WTA move its tournament out of Dubai, taking responsibility....

vettipooh
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM
and make IW, mandatory? All this talk of IW having a weak field stemming from no Justine, Momo, or Kim (we all know mandatory or not, there'll never be any Williams sisters), made me think that as long as the WTA holds an event in Dubai and Doha, (with full knowledge that Shahar Peer can't play in Dubai, not sure about Doha), and appearance fees, gifts, jewelry, gold,etc... are a big attraction/factor, players will choose to play Dubai instead of IW. Is the WTA responsible for its players being treated equally and fairly?Re: Peer. If so, what can be done to right the wrong that the sisters felt in 2002, and bring them back to IW? Or is that an impossible feat? Is there reason enough to cancel Dubai and make IW mandatory? Discuss.
Btw I checked the Sonyericsson site under players, and could not find a single player from either of these 2 countries.

spiceboy
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM
No, they should move Tokyo Pan Pacific as a huge Tier I in October and move Indian Wells 2 weeks after the Australian Open (place Pattaya in the middle) as makes sense that European players, after the Australian weeks wants to play at home (Paris/Antwerp) or nearby (Doha/Dubai) instead of returning to the other part of the world for just 1 week and a half and then fly some more hours to Miami to play another Tier I straight away. Plus California is on its way to Europe from Australia (via LAX) so definetely and smart move. I'm sure TPP wouldn't complain either as its draw is pretty weak right after Melbourne.

Tennisaddict
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM
IW should be degraded to a Tier II and Dubai should become a Tier I based on the field in both tournaments. Larry Scott should however take action against the discrimination of Jewish players. That´s so wrong of Dubai.
I didn´t even know she wasn´t allowed to play :fiery:

John.
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
No. The players seem to like it. I just think the scheduling needs to be changed a little.

That said, something needs to be done if certain players aren't allowed to play. Thats ridiculous

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
IW should be degraded to a Tier II and Dubai should become a Tier I based on the field in both tournaments. Larry Scott should however take action against the discrimination of Jewish players. Thatīs so wrong of Dubai.
I didnīt even know she wasnīt allowed to play :fiery:

Jewish players can play there.
they dont discriminate against race or religion but on the state.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Dubai Duty Free is also one of the main sponsors of the WTA Tour.

kabuki
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Jewish players can play there.
they dont discriminate against race or religion but on the state.

Oh, that makes it better. :lol: :tape:

Regarding the thread question, IMO, IW should be downgraded to a one week event, (as should Miami IMO). Those two weeks could allow for rescheduling of AO and other preceding events, lengthening the offseason. No simple task mind you, but...

timafi
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
hell no!

Vlad Tepes
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I understand how many of you find it unfair that Peer cannot play in Dubai, but things are not as simple as the wta imposing that on the organisers. It's simply the fact that Israeli citizens are not allowed to enter the UAE, whether they are top 20 tennis players or not. As such, I don't see who would take responsability for the protection of Peer and her staff while in the country; it's just not going to work out. Therefore, it's not the organiser's fault and although I find the situation appalling myself, I do not think it is reason enough to cancel the tournament.

Dawn Marie
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I love Dubai and Doha. Get rid of Indian Wells! Sheesh America has plenty of tourneys. Yet Dubai treats the players like queens and kings. I like that as a fan. Spoil them like royalty pay them and give the fans the best field of players! YEAH!

Volcana
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Jewish players CAN play in Dubai, AND the tournament made it clear that they could and would arrange for visa's for any Israeli national on the the tour. They will not, however, provide additional security for Peer. In additional, Peer's status may be complicated by the fact that she's in the military. However, giventhat she IS allowed toplay there, I see no reason to move the tournament away from Dubai.

On top of that, the Dubai people also own Berlin, and are, in fact, huge investors in the tour. Alienating them over nothing would be stupid.

Making IW mandatory is stupid. If IW was madatory, the whole story of the fortnight, on the women's side, would be Serena's absence as Australian Open champ. How does that do the tour any good?

The blunt truth is that Indian Wells needs to move to a different part of the schedule. The idea of scheduling it a week after OZ, and shifting TPP to the fall, is a good one.

jazar
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM
dubai only attracts the players cos of the prize money. they should definitely move it away from the more established indian wells

King of Prussia
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM
AND the tournament made it clear that they could and would arrange for visa's for any Israeli national on the the tour.

A tennis tournament doesn't have any word on who enters the country. Maybe they might try to get a visa for Israeli players, but I doubt they have more power than that.

The idea of scheduling it a week after OZ

Too cold at that time of the year I think. Plus, it makes no sense to separate IW and Key Biscayne, especially for the ATP.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
No, they should move Tokyo Pan Pacific as a huge Tier I in October and move Indian Wells 2 weeks after the Australian Open (place Pattaya in the middle) as makes sense that European players, after the Australian weeks wants to play at home (Paris/Antwerp) or nearby (Doha/Dubai) instead of returning to the other part of the world for just 1 week and a half and then fly some more hours to Miami to play another Tier I straight away. Plus California is on its way to Europe from Australia (via LAX) so definetely and smart move. I'm sure TPP wouldn't complain either as its draw is pretty weak right after Melbourne.

Well the thing is, Indian Wells is kinda chilly in Feburary, in fact it can be cold.

Apoleb
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:30 PM
:haha: Oh my god, not again.

purplerain
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
WTA is not USTA :shrug:

Mightymirza
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM
No

LUIS9
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
No. The players seem to like it. I just think the scheduling needs to be changed a little.

That said, something needs to be done if certain players aren't allowed to play. Thats ridiculous

It's heinous indeed, absurd and appalling. :rolleyes:

matthias
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM
we should wait til we have seen the new tour-roadmap from 2009
and then we can discuss changings

rjd1111
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM
and make IW, mandatory? All this talk of IW having a weak field stemming from no Justine, Momo, or Kim (we all know mandatory or not, there'll never be any Williams sisters), made me think that as long as the WTA holds an event in Dubai and Doha, (with full knowledge that Shahar Peer can't play in Dubai, not sure about Doha), and appearance fees, gifts, jewelry, gold,etc... are a big attraction/factor, players will choose to play Dubai instead of IW. Is the WTA responsible for its players being treated equally and fairly?Re: Peer. If so, what can be done to right the wrong that the sisters felt in 2002, and bring them back to IW? Or is that an impossible feat? Is there reason enough to cancel Dubai and make IW mandatory? Discuss.
Btw I checked the Sonyericsson site under players, and could not find a single player from either of these 2 countries.

Cancel IW and make Dubai a two week tier 1. With all that Oil money
its just a matter of time before they become the biggest event on
tour. They can make all the players an offer they can't refuse.

Dubai has plenty of money. IW nearly went Bankrupt and the top
players don't play there anymore. It time to let IW R.I.P.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Nope, Dubai is a great tournament and it simply belongs to the calendar. And it definitely deserves to get tier I status.
Making IW mandatory? For what? I would only change the format of it, make it II tier tournament with 28 players and then players would have one week off before Miami.

Uranus
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Well if Israeli girls like Shahar Peer get the right to play there, then let Dubai become a 1st class tournament.
Either way, NO.

Unfortunately money prevails in this world and is the number 1 priority... :o

rjd1111
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I understand how many of you find it unfair that Peer cannot play in Dubai, but things are not as simple as the wta imposing that on the organisers. It's simply the fact that Israeli citizens are not allowed to enter the UAE, whether they are top 20 tennis players or not. As such, I don't see who would take responsability for the protection of Peer and her staff while in the country; it's just not going to work out. Therefore, it's not the organiser's fault and although I find the situation appalling myself, I do not think it is reason enough to cancel the tournament.

You are right. No amount of Security will protect her adequately.

They could always give her special dispensation. Give her a chunk of
money and a certain number of points so she is not hurt as to her
ranking and let her relax for a couple of weeks.

goldenlox
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM
IW is rock solid, and will be a mandatory 2 week super Tier I.
That's not in question.
And Dubai will be a Tier I.