PDA

View Full Version : Who has the most visually pleasing game?

tennisbear7
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM
So, which player, in your mind, has the most visually pleasing game?

Volcana
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM
At her absolute best, Serena.

In another sport, a competitor's game was once described as 'a ballet of violence'. That's Serena. Agression taken to the level of an art form.

BTW, you're killing your own credibility by making a blanket category called 'power players'. Venus and Serena don't play the same way. Capriati and Pierce don't play the same way. If you don't know/can't see the differences in the players' games, is this even a question you can understand the answer too?

Kunal
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:13 AM
for me its serena

and justine

Dexter
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Out of them for me, Justine easily. :shrug:

hingisGOAT
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:47 AM
hingis, easily, but she's only for tennis purists ;). those with less refined taste will be up in arms over the options given in the poll.

eck
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Justine. :)
At her very best. Even her off days (let's hope it's not every time she goes on court :o) are pleasing.

blumaroo
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Another "who is my biggest fave" disguised in something else.
But I'll take the bait. Justine for me.

Tennisation
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Anna Kournikova by a landslide, and I'm not kidding!
When she was at her peak form, she is not only beautiful to watch because of her looks, but also her all court game...great defense, great touch, volleys. Watch the wimledon match against Venus and you know what I'm talking about.

Mana
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I cant stand her, but love watching her game, Maria Sharapova.

jazar
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM
jj. her shots are just so smooth and fluid i could watch them all day

Mina Vagante
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM
^i dont like Jelena's shots. serena for me :D

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Andy Roddick

Tennisation
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Andy Roddickthat ass:drool:

miura
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I love watching Masha, but I get a spike through my heart everytime she hits in the net for some reason :p

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM
chaky :tape: please

patty for me-when shes got her head on shes just amazing to watch
i would put her just ahead of henin and serena because patty moves players around and almost teases them with the ball-serena and henin put the opponent out of their misery quickly

Tennisation
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:06 AM
I love watching Masha, but I get a spike through my heart everytime she hits in the net for some reason :pI'm sure that happens for every fan that's watching their favorite play, now you understand my pain of going through Anna K's heyday of 30 something double faults in one match:)

Stamp Paid
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Serena Williams, Venus Williams when playing at full throttle, Amelie Mauresmo

Mr.Kardashian
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM
jankovic

Josh.
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:45 AM
i like someone who can move someone around with different spins but can still smack the ball for all its worth! so out of that list chaky? :lol:

Orion
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Mauresmo. I could watch her play all day, on any surface.

lecciones
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Hingis definitely, its really exciting for the viewers because you see her use the whole court.

Andy.
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM
For Me its the power players like Vee Ree and Masha I love watching them just blast the ball, Im not a massive fan of variety but can appreciate it.

John.
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Serena for me, when she is on top form

starred06
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Why are power players grouped into 1 option?

And what is the definition of visually pleasing? Could the prettiest player or the player with the sexiest outfit the most visually pleasing? Even when they play badly? Honestly I think Serena with those earrings are quite "visually pleasing", or Maria with that glam oldies black dress in USO 06. Does that count?

These polls are meaningless. It proves nothing but gives people a place to bash each other. And most of the time the thread starters are biased.

DavidEllul
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:12 AM
ju for sure

skanky~skanketta
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:18 AM
i personally like watching lindsay davenport play. i always cheer against her, but i love the way she hits the ball.

and also, i like watching nathaly dechy and chanda rubin. neither have that ONE special shot, but there's no glaring weakness either.

Shonami Slam
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:24 AM
vinci on grass, oprandi on clay, farina-elia on fast courts, fran indoors, kuznetsova on grass, petrova on clay.

to be honest - as long as there is tennis on television it's pleasing enough for me.
but there are girls that rock my world.
Peshke on fast courts, Sugiyama playing hards, Kostanic on clay, Mirza on hard...

it goes on forever.

frenchie
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Out of the list: Hingis, Chaky, Schnyder

also: Myskina, Kournikova, Hantuchova....
All these players have a natural and fluid game

BUBI
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Anna Chakvetadze by far. I like the way she makes her opponent run with her beautiful shots. She builds up a point slowly and doesn't use any more power than is necessary.

FrenchY52
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I like to see Anna playing

goldenboi356
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
justine and lindsay. nice to have variety sometimes but also nice to have power. no one on the tour right now has the ability to harmonize power and variety yet.

Stamp Paid
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Serena Williams, Venus Williams when playing at full throttle, Amelie Mauresmo

and Kournikova was better than all of them except Serena.
2 handed backhand slice. :drool:

TaxPower
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Martina of course
And for men Santoro :worship:

RG Moonballer
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Martina. So beautiful.

MrSerenaWilliams
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM

In another sport, a competitor's game was once described as 'a ballet of violence'. That's Serena. Agression taken to the level of an art form.

BTW, you're killing your own credibility by making a blanket category called 'power players'. Venus and Serena don't play the same way. Capriati and Pierce don't play the same way. If you don't know/can't see the differences in the players' games, is this even a question you can understand the answer too?

:worship:

BALLET OF VIOLENCE ON DISPLAY
:drool: 2007 AO Final, 2003 FO QF, 2002 W SF, 2002 Miami SF, 2002 US OPEN

tennisbear7
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM

The reason why I grouped those types of players is because essentially, they rely on power to win. Sure, they may have slight variations and some may hit harder and some with more spin, but in essence they play the same way.

tennisbear7
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Why are power players grouped into 1 option?

And what is the definition of visually pleasing? Could the prettiest player or the player with the sexiest outfit the most visually pleasing? Even when they play badly? Honestly I think Serena with those earrings are quite "visually pleasing", or Maria with that glam oldies black dress in USO 06. Does that count?

These polls are meaningless. It proves nothing but gives people a place to bash each other. And most of the time the thread starters are biased.

Sweetie, I said "who has the most visually pleasing GAME?"

That basically nullifies your whole argument. Oh, and to add insult to injury, no one's been bashing eachother up yet. This is based on personal preference.

:wavey: :rolleyes:

Well, often the poll starters are biased. But you are biased too because you have prejudices against poll starters. What the hell is your point? I don't think I am biased, and I haven't even voted in the poll because I appreciate nearly everyone's games.

améliemomo
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
amélie like steffi was,her volleys are :hearts: she has class and elegance,its not just bombing from the back courts.

frenchie
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM
amélie like steffi was,her volleys are :hearts: she has class and elegance,its not just bombing from the back courts.

That serve and that forehand:tape: :tape:
she hurts my eyes everytime I watch her:help:

sperona
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Mauresmo. I could watch her play all day, on any surface.

me too :bounce:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Stosur has the best visual pleasing serve!! It is just Perfection!!!

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Hingis for me from that list

CORIA01
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
BY FAR HINGIS. SHE CAN DO EVERYTHING AND IT SEEMS SO EASY!

bandabou
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
The reason why I grouped those types of players is because essentially, they rely on power to win. Sure, they may have slight variations and some may hit harder and some with more spin, but in essence they play the same way.

Then why don't just add Kim to the list of power players too then?

miss_molik
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Juju. Her backhand is :hearts:

Hashim.
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Hingis:hearts:

tennisbear7
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Then why don't just add Kim to the list of power players too then?

I did write "e.g." so obviously it's not exclusive to those three players. :o

bandabou
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I did write "e.g." so obviously it's not exclusive to those three players. :o

Kinda shady that you didn't include your own fav in the list of power players, yet you added others.. kinda underhanded shot at those players.

.Andrew.
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Martina :hearts:

In a close second, Amelie, then Justine ;) :)

mauresmofan
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I think it's pretty close between Amélie and Justine - they both have beautifully flowing games when they are playing well. The only thing that doesn't look as good as the rest of her game is Justines serve it starts off pretty hunched up.

tennisbear7
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Kinda shady that you didn't include your own fav in the list of power players, yet you added others.. kinda underhanded shot at those players.

Listen, for your sake, I'll say that Kim is a power player like WS and Maria.

Don't get me wrong here. I love watching power playing too. What was ever wrong with that? I LOVE watching the William Sisters especially. They are amazing.

RND
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I like Jie Zheng's game.Her hitting motion and movement are really smooth and pleasing to watch. :)
Among the options,I say Hingis.

barmaid
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Last time I looked at Serena charging the net she looked like a raging Rhinocerous:devil: :o :mad: :fiery: NOT a pretty site!!:lol:

barmaid:wavey:

miffedmax
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Another "who is my biggest fave" disguised in something else.
But I'll take the bait. Justine for me.

Nah, 'cause even I can't come up with a way to work around the ugliest service motion in professional tennis and the tendency to lapse into crosscourt ball bashing.

But she still AFR.

bandabou
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Listen, for your sake, I'll say that Kim is a power player like WS and Maria.

Don't get me wrong here. I love watching power playing too. What was ever wrong with that? I LOVE watching the William Sisters especially. They are amazing.

just to be clear about it..

jay745
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
hingis has a smart game and the rest have a power game but nor so prety

chloe-l
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Justine. Martina as second choice:) :) :hearts:

stefi62
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I said power players, but I thought about on in particular, Mary :worship: , who is more than that! She learnt through to years to improve her game and vary a lot, so to me her game is the most interesting to watch.
And I don't like one hand backhand anyway, I don't see how it can look beautiful to people!

kiwifan
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Chucky HAD the prettiest game but I'd rather watch power players like Seles, JCap, Serena, Maria & Venus than the rest of those options. :shrug:

ivanban
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:18 PM
From this list, Justine has very pleasing game, and from players that are not listed Jankovic is a joy to watch (especially her backhand)

mc8114
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Justine and Martina

Chrissie-fan
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Martina Hingis :worship: with Justine at # 2.

I mostly prefer the (for lack of a better word) "touch players," but when a power player is on I find it entertaining to watch too.

shirley
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
from the list, Justine

alfajeffster
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
This one was a no brainer considering the choices available, however, if you've never seen footage of Evonne Goolagong moving across a tennis court (yes, it's 70s and early 80s), make the effort. There is nothing I've ever seen (men or women) as visually and esthetically beautiful as Gooley moving in full flight.

Ferosh
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:41 PM
This shouldn't even be a dispute. Henin has the most visually appealing/satisfying game on the WTA tour. :drool:

orfeus
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:42 PM
:yawn: :zzz:

Chrissie-fan
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM
This one was a no brainer considering the choices available, however, if you've never seen footage of Evonne Goolagong moving across a tennis court (yes, it's 70s and early 80s), make the effort. There is nothing I've ever seen (men or women) as visually and esthetically beautiful as Gooley moving in full flight.
I agree.:worship:

Viktymise
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM
It depends of the type of player you like, some people like watching power players, others like watching more finesse players who like using different shots and stuff, i like the former. Power players at their peak are amazing to watch, it can be very stunning, plus with the personality to match ;)

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM
So, which player, in your mind, has the most visually pleasing game?

A zoning Serena J. Williams is a thing of UNSURPASSED beauty. The game has never been played with such daring.

It is a high wire act with a bed of daggers in place of a safety net below.

cellophane
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Chakvetadze

Corswandt
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Mauresmo. Davenport for her incomparable ball striking. Jankovic for a good and rare mix of fluid movement and clean hitting. Chakvetadze. Hantuchova on the extremely rare occasions in which she plays her best. Kirilenko on the handful of good points she plays on each match. I used to enjoy watching Schnyder when she was more aggressive; now she's mostly a passive moonballer and bores me senseless.

I always found Sharapova's game ugly and boring - apart from her impossibly beautiful serve motion, which alone is worth putting up with the rest. Vaidisova's game has some pretty stuff (swing and follow-through on the FH) and some very ugly stuff (BH, serve motion). Same with Dementieva (pretty - running FH, movement in general; ugly - serve, aimlessness, lack of variety).

Anyone who says Venus or Serena Williams has earned a place on my ignore list. I'm sure nobody will say Kuznetsova.

LUIS9
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Out of the list: Hingis, Chaky, Schnyder

also: Myskina, Kournikova, Hantuchova....
All these players have a natural and fluid game

Nous sommes d'accord. Martina Hingis surtout et Justine actuellement. :worship:

L' Anna Kournikova d'ailleur est une merveilleuse athlete certainement.

Lulu.
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Serena for me

LUIS9
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM

I know it's unfortunate that I was not born a couple of years earlier. With the likes of Evonne, Hana, Helena and Martina battling it out especially on grass those must have been tantalizing displays on grass courts.

lolas
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Davenport was hitting the ball so clean

Denise4925
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Why do you lump all of the power players together? :confused: They all have different games.

Out of all, I think Serena has the most visually pleasing game out of them all.

Emina.
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Martina and Justine.

Demska
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Me. :angel:

Smackie
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Has to be Justine for me, then Venus!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Ivo Karlovic

starin
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM
i'm surprised mauresmo is third. I think if we're talking about pretty overall game I would have to say Mauresmo.

Adal
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Actually clean, flat ball hitting is the most visually pleasing game for me. Davenport had this game.

Denise4925
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM

That's not true. Your thread stated who has the most visually pleasing game, not which player has the most visually pleasing game based on what they rely on to win. What does what they rely on to win have anything to do with their individual games? They may rely on power to win, but it's been pointed out that each has a different game. I wouldn't mistake Lindsay's game for Kim's, nor Kim's for Maria's nor Maria's for Venus', nor Venus' for Serena's. Your reasoning doesn't make sense. Also, you can make the same argument that the others rely on finese to win, even though there are some slight variations, but in essence they play the same way. :shrug: So, why not lump them all in one choice?

Even though you don't think so, I think there was a bit of a bias in opening this thread. Bias in favor of finese players, because if there weren't you wouldn't lump all of the power players together and individually list the finese players. But, that's just how it looks to me.

Wayn77
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM
in full flow - Amelie Mauresmo (Gallic flair, class and arrogance) ;)

Denise4925
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Last time I looked at Serena charging the net she looked like a raging Rhinocerous:devil: :o :mad: :fiery: NOT a pretty site!!:lol:

Yeah, but it was pretty sight to behold when she was holding that trophy and all Martina was holding was her luggage. :lol:

cellophane
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I think you should retitle this thread "who has the most elegant game", not "who has the prettiest game". I think that's what you meant...

Kai
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Martina, Anna and Patty :)

V-MAC
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Really understated but Chanda Rubin, in full flight, is stunning to watch. :cool:

zzachtan
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
From the list it has to be Martina Hingis. Angles, touch.. She's got it all. It's even more fun to watch her when she's playing someone with not much power.. Cause you can see Martina literally moving the opponent right, left, front, back, right, etc.. all in one rally.

Not on the list.. I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hantuchova. Such elegance and fluid motions on her forehand and backhand.. :)

Conor
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Patty has to be the best to watch... definately. When shes playing good... watching that robotesk serve and forehand is something else :worship: and her drop shots are very good aswell... But when shes playing bad its rather halarious 'cause theres no middle ground with her, when shes bad... shes awful!... so either way she does it for me! :lol: Closely follwed by Justine (of course! :) ) Theres nothing better than watching one of her backhands fly down the line... and her slice aswell - well what can you say? Then Serena. That AO final was just WOW, ive never seen anything else like it. If anybody watches the match again look out for the backhand winner Serena hits to go 1-0 in the 2nd set then tell me who else could do that! lol Hingis absolutely bores the living day lights out of me, her and her 'I think i'll tickle the ball' tactics... id rather watch paint dry. And as for Mauresmo! Well :zzz:

Mauresmo Fan
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:53 PM
mauresmo for sure .that backhand down de line is de best shot in tennis

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Lindsay's pure striking of the ball!!!

Mightymirza
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Ju is still quite a bit of power player..:) :wavey: but in a veryy artistic way..:hearts:

Conor
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:05 PM
mauresmo for sure .that backhand down de line is de best shot in tennis

Haha very funny! Thats a good one! She only hits winners by fluke!:lol: Her forehand is atrocious, her backhand is nothing special, her slice is terrible... she gives it too much air. Her volleys, smashes and serves are excellent though.... ill give her that! ;)

cellophane
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Haha very funny! Thats a good one! She only hits winners by fluke!:lol: Her forehand is atrocious, her backhand is nothing special, her slice is terrible... she gives it too much air. Her volleys, smashes and serves are excellent though.... ill give her that! ;)

How does she win so many matches? :scratch:

Conor
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Its pretty simple why... everybody else is useless! Seriously... next time you watch Mauresmo play, look out for the amount of points the other player gives Mauresmo... and thats without any kind of exerted pressure from Mauresmo! lol She definately at her best when shes at the net... I dont know why she doesnt do it more... it would make her wins that much more convincing and im sure it would giver her more confidence. Staying back doesnt do it for Mauresmo against the best players... except for Kim 'cause all she does is hit it out!

jamatthews
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Jankovic

Lulu.
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, but it was pretty sight to behold when she was holding that trophy and all Martina was holding was her luggage. :lol:

:rolls:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Henin, Hingis and then MoMo :bounce:

Stavie
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Ju :worship: :hearts:

hingisGOAT
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM

couldn't stay on topic? :rolleyes:

i can do it too!

for example:

even when holding the trophy, serena was still fat -- and that is not a pretty sight at all.

Conor
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hey shut it you! Serena isn't fat and nor was she at the AO... Just cause she isnt a stick like Hantchacova! Anyway... this is a TENNIS forum... so I think it would be wise to desist from criticisng players appearences! Back to tennis.... ;)

*Jool*
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hingis

cypher_88
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
JuJu and Martina

gentle
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Amelie... all day, every day

Denise4925
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:13 PM
couldn't stay on topic? :rolleyes:

i can do it too!

for example:

even when holding the trophy, serena was still fat -- and that is not a pretty sight at all.

Fat or not, she was still holding a slam trophy, while Martina is still holding on to memories.

Lapdance
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I hate to say it but Henin. Thank good the camera angles are from the back of the court though

Lapdance
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Fat or not, she was still holding a slam trophy, while Martina is still holding on to memories.

oh my, that was really mean. that's why it was really funny.

dekker
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM

god you're a hater.

The Daviator
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I like power play, much cleaner to me, i.e. Davenport, some of the players listed hit some of their shots pretty awkwardly IMO :shrug:

Lapdance
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I like power play, much cleaner to me, i.e. Davenport, some of the players listed hit some of their shots pretty awkwardly IMO :shrug:

gotta agree. davenport had the most visually pleasing power game. it was very fluid and clean

Conor
Mar 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Hey The Dav... I remember you from the old BBC message board :) do you not bother over there anymore??? Personally I prefer a mixture of power and flair (Justine :drool: ) but Serena on form is brilliant to watch... and Davenports forehand was just so clean and the angle she got on it was amazing. Definately the best and technically sound forehand ever IMO...

alias
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Anna K and Hingis.

FERLKE
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Amelie:hearts: :drool:

Tie-Break
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM

:haha: :tape:

True though :p

Drake1980
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Hingis:hearts:

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Here are my choices in order:

1. Lindsay Davenport- Pure Striking ability. She makes power play so easy by simple racket-ball connection. Very scientific.

2. Hingis- Its just so fun to see her using all court's corners with her placement and variety. Just very smart playing.

3. Serena- For all the drama and fighting spirit. Plus ofcourse she hit like Lindsay.

5. Liza Raymond- I love to watch her doubles play. just amazing.

iPatty
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM
i know she's my fave, but patty.

just all her spins and angles. such a joy to watch.

Stamp Paid
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM
:haha: :tape:

True though :p

You're Justine Fan, arent you?
All the respect for Serena you showed after the Australian Open.
True colors shine through, huh?

The Daviator
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Hey The Dav... I remember you from the old BBC message board :) do you not bother over there anymore??? Personally I prefer a mixture of power and flair (Justine :drool: ) but Serena on form is brilliant to watch... and Davenports forehand was just so clean and the angle she got on it was amazing. Definately the best and technically sound forehand ever IMO...

Hi :) The old BBC board is closed now :p Don't really bother with the new one, agree with your comments btw :yeah:

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I forgot my number 4.

4. Henin- Even if I dont like her, There's no denying that her striking ability specially the one hand backhand is a joy to watch.

ce
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM
power players

blumaroo
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Mauresmo. Davenport for her incomparable ball striking. Jankovic for a good and rare mix of fluid movement and clean hitting. Chakvetadze. Hantuchova on the extremely rare occasions in which she plays her best. Kirilenko on the handful of good points she plays on each match. I used to enjoy watching Schnyder when she was more aggressive; now she's mostly a passive moonballer and bores me senseless.

I always found Sharapova's game ugly and boring - apart from her impossibly beautiful serve motion, which alone is worth putting up with the rest. Vaidisova's game has some pretty stuff (swing and follow-through on the FH) and some very ugly stuff (BH, serve motion). Same with Dementieva (pretty - running FH, movement in general; ugly - serve, aimlessness, lack of variety).

Anyone who says Venus or Serena Williams has earned a place on my ignore list. I'm sure nobody will say Kuznetsova.

What do you think about Justine? :p
And I thought you would love Serena's serve motion. I find Maria's serve motion a bit mechanic.

hablo
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Amelie Mauresmo.

Schnyder, Hingis, Chakvetadze, Jankovic and JH.

Serena, Venus and Sharpette = I can appreciate their games too, especially for their aggression (lethal groundstrokes) and intensity.

Derek.
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I love Daniela's game when she's playing well. :drool:

So beautiful. :hearts:

But from this list, Hingis and Sharapova.

blumaroo
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Lindsay and her clean strokes painting the line and her fluid serve motion.
Justine with her variety in spins and slice and her net skills combined with a healthy mix of power and speed.

I pretty much like everything about their game. Other players have certain aspects I like but not everything.

Ivanovics forehand - so clean, deep and powerful
Serena's serve - beautiful serve motion and power and technique
Molik second serve - variety and kick
Hingis volleying
Jankovics backhand
Myskina's speed and footwork

Corswandt
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:01 AM
What do you think about Justine? :p

JH no longer H's game: effective, resourceful, but not very smooth/fluid.

Two reasons:

Primo, it's difficult not to notice the effort she's making to get those big shots out of such a small frame. So her game doesn't come across as effortless as those of other players - like say Davenport's.

Secundo, JH no longer H rarely plays cleanly. Shanks, netted shots, DFs.

I find Maria's serve motion a bit mechanic.

Maybe, but the way she swings her arms for the toss. :hearts:

SzavayFi
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:05 AM
kournikova, not only because of her looks but also because she moved gracefully and quick and she was solid at the net. dani too but she is not such as a graceful mover.

from that list i'll go with hingis...

mm1147
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM
for me davenport i just like how she plays it is so gracefull

brent-o
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Sorry but I find Justine to be one of the least visually pleasing. I can't stand the way she lunges forward on her forehand (probably can't help it, considering her small frame she probably does it to get extra pop). it just looks so uncomfortable. her backhand can be pretty though but i think momo's is more fluid and better to watch.

brent-o
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:36 AM
oh and my pick is schynder on clay only. her matches at charleston 2006 were so fun to watch.

Dementieva Guts
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Anastassia Rodionova

She's the #1 entertainer on tour. She got an agressive, in your face, I'm all yours b...h type of game. She screamed, argued, break raquets, intimidate, obsessed by line calls, juicy in post-game interview, she got that swagger in her eyes,

This is a pleasing game, to say the least. Everytime she plays, she put on a hell of a show. WE NEED MORE RODIONOVAS. A GORGEOUS YOUNG ADULT WITH ATTITUDE.:hearts:

DennisPostedThis
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Martina for me, something about her game makes me want to get out there and play myself.

Martian Jeza
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM
power players

:help:

Natash.
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Anastassia Rodionova

She's the #1 entertainer on tour. She got an agressive, in your face, I'm all yours b...h type of game. She screamed, argued, break raquets, intimidate, obsessed by line calls, juicy in post-game interview, she got that swagger in her eyes,

This is a pleasing game, to say the least. Everytime she plays, she put on a hell of a show. WE NEED MORE RODIONOVAS. A GORGEOUS YOUNG ADULT WITH ATTITUDE.:hearts:

:lol: :tape:

Rodionova is nuts.

Apoleb
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:17 AM
JH no longer H's game: effective, resourceful, but not very smooth/fluid.

Right on target, but Justine for me still has the most pleasing game. I enjoy more however the 2001-03 more natural Justine. For her to be able to compete however, she knows that she has to get that serve and that forehand, and those have become two quite mechanical shots. Her forehand actually wasn't mechanic when she was young, even though it wasn't as effective. Her backhand also went a little bit to the backstage. It just doesn't seem as flashy and as penetrating as before.

With all that, I still enjoy her game the most. Just the way she structures that backhand motion is magnificent, and on clay, she's still natural. I had the chance to watch her person, and the difference between her forehand and backhand shots is amazing. Her forehand has so much energy going to it, with full body rotation, and she suddendly switches to a much more smooth motion on her backhand.

Serena's serve has got to be up there with the most beautiful shots in men's and women's tennis, along with Justine's backhand. I've never saw such a beautiful smooth transition of power. You could feel all her muscle strength being taken advantage of.

I think I agree with most of Blumaroo's list. Martina's volleys can be flashes of brillance too. Oh, and last, Jankovic's backhand. Smoothness and timing to perfection. Another joy to watch.

komorli
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I think this thread is somewhat pointless because the reason we like the players we do is because their game is visually appealing us. But I'm going to answer anyway.............Justine, duh! ;)

She has the variety to build points, the speed to get to all kinds of shots, and she also has the firepower and intensity to end points when she wants to. And that backhand is puuuure!! She has perfect set, perfect shoulder turn, perfect weight transfer. On TV it's miraculous. Her backhand live, is...(I can't find a word). Her slice is really nice to watch too. It floats over the net and just dies. :drool: I like her forehand too. It's compact, explosive, and she gets hecka topspin on the ball from racquet head speed and wrist snap, but it doesn't flow as naturally as the backhand of course.

Although I'm not a fan of power-pounding, out of the power players, I like Serena. When she's on, she's just brilliant to watch. I like her technique; simple, smooth, and obviously very effective. Her technique is very text-bookish; little can go really wrong. And unlike other power players, she likes to come into the net and volley (traditional way) at times, which is a nice mix-up.

Reuchlin
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Hantuchova without a doubt.

yicheng23
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM
hands down justine wins! she has the complete game!

Alizé Molik
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM
clearly Hingis is the winner without a doubt and Henin for the simple fact that when she plays her A game no one can beat her, her game is perfect to watch.

and clearly Clijsters is good to watch for her eccentric sliding..

I wouldn't have included Schnyder either, personally.

alfajeffster
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I think this thread is somewhat pointless because the reason we like the players we do is because their game is visually appealing us. But I'm going to answer anyway.............Justine, duh! ;)

She has the variety to build points, the speed to get to all kinds of shots, and she also has the firepower and intensity to end points when she wants to. And that backhand is puuuure!! She has perfect set, perfect shoulder turn, perfect weight transfer. On TV it's miraculous. Her backhand live, is...(I can't find a word). Her slice is really nice to watch too. It floats over the net and just dies. :drool: I like her forehand too. It's compact, explosive, and she gets hecka topspin on the ball from racquet head speed and wrist snap, but it doesn't flow as naturally as the backhand of course.

Although I'm not a fan of power-pounding, out of the power players, I like Serena. When she's on, she's just brilliant to watch. I like her technique; simple, smooth, and obviously very effective. Her technique is very text-bookish; little can go really wrong. And unlike other power players, she likes to come into the net and volley (traditional way) at times, which is a nice mix-up.

I think the point of this thread is actually about the game of tennis, and how beautiful it really can be. Throughout history, there are only a small handful of players who, when they were on, made the game itself look ridiculously simple, as if they were always floating above the court, and there for every ball with options (Hingis when she's not overpowered). The players themselves are incidental, but if you look at vintage Goolagong, Bueno, Mandlikova, Edberg, Sampras, Laver, Hoad, and even some lesser players like Petr Korda and Henri Leconte (when they were on), the tennis is breathtaking, if not depressing to we mere mortals who are forced to sit there in the stands realizing we'll never reach those heights.

The drawback to such talent is often times the player who is capable of that kind of tennis goes through personal anguish because they know what they can do, and when it doesn't happen, it's torture (see John McEnroe).

A Potential
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:23 PM
For me the best player I ever saw was Steffi Graf. For sheer athleticism and power I have never witnessed anything like her. I keep hearing commentators and pundits alike say how others have raised the bar, it’s fails me how this is possible when you read the record books concerning Steffi’s career.

Gabriela Sabatini was a decent sort too, if only she had some backbone.

Today’s players? Hingis made it look all so easy when she was on top form, but she was lazy and didn’t make any effort when challenged, unlike Henin.

There are very few others who get me excited tennis wise. Most now are just Monicaites who thrash the ball and make as much unwanted noise during play as they can.

bandabou
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:24 PM
A beautiful day if a black player ever were to join that list...but chances for that to happen are almost nihil.

Ah well we still have basketbal and baseball...oh no in basketball it is: they don't know the fundamentals, they are only athletic...

and in baseball: suddenly it's all about steroids...where were they when armstrong was busy winning 7 tour de frances?? Hmm..

A Potential
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM
A beautiful day if a black player ever were to join that list...but chances for that to happen are almost nihil.

Ah well we still have basketbal and baseball...oh no in basketball it is: they don't know the fundamentals, they are only athletic...

and in baseball: suddenly it's all about steroids...where were they when armstrong was busy winning 7 tour de frances?? Hmm..

What does the colour of a persons skin have to do with the premise of the thread? If you think a ‘black/whatever colour’ player has a visually pleasing game then just say so.

Corswandt
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Forgot to add Zvonareva to my list.

bandabou
Mar 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
What does the colour of a persons skin have to do with the premise of the thread? If you think a ‘black/whatever colour’ player has a visually pleasing game then just say so.

Nevah evah...only power, athletiscism...no touch, no grace.

sweetpeas
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Serena Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alfajeffster
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Nevah evah...only power, athletiscism...no touch, no grace.

Might I respectfully remind you that the Aboriginal people were and are not only considered "coloured" in Australia to this day, they are arguably the oldest people on this planet we share. Evonne Goolagong (or I should say her protective mentor Vic Edwards) took quite a bit of flack for agreeing to play in South Africa in the early 70s when apartheid was in full swing, a couple of years before Arthur Ashe stirred his controversy. You want grace? There isn't a player who did it better- ever!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/alfajeffster/EvonneCourt1971Wflying.jpg

Tennisaddict
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM

That last comment really shows your ignorance and lack of objectivity :rolleyes:

You might not like their games but that doesn´t mean that everybody doesn´t or should not. Serena and Venus at their best form simply take my breath away. It´s inspiring to see them play and I´m often in awe. Most recently at AO 2007 where Serena played incredible in the final.

I also very much like Kuznetsova´s and Ivanovic´s games when they play well. Schnyder and Henin are also players I like to watch. Their tactics, precision and execution have my absolute admiration.

It all obviously comes down to a matter of taste. And that´s fine as long as everybody respects that.

LoveFifteen
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Yet another "Who's your fave poll?" :rolleyes:

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yet another "Who's your fave poll?" :rolleyes:

I agree!!!:worship:

SJW
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Serena on top form is the best player to watch.
Mauresmo has the most variety in her game...so I chose Mauresmo.

sfselesfan
Mar 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I said Amelie.

I don't think it's appropriate to dump the power players together. Venus' game is much more attractive than Maria or Serena's IMO.

SF

bandabou
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Might I respectfully remind you that the Aboriginal people were and are not only considered "coloured" in Australia to this day, they are arguably the oldest people on this planet we share. Evonne Goolagong (or I should say her protective mentor Vic Edwards) took quite a bit of flack for agreeing to play in South Africa in the early 70s when apartheid was in full swing, a couple of years before Arthur Ashe stirred his controversy. You want grace? There isn't a player who did it better- ever!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/alfajeffster/EvonneCourt1971Wflying.jpg

Nice..but if Goolagong is the most black player you can find, tjaa...says it all no.

Il Primo!
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I love the ball murderers like Venus and Maria. Serena has variety and it's damm enjoyable. Peak Myskina was fucking pleasing to watch too :hearts:
Out this poll, since hardhitters don't play the same way at all, I'd chose Justine, by very far.

mboyle
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hingis is a true treat to watch. I love J2H and Mauresmo too. I love Sharapova's groundstroke motions and serve. I love Tati's game. Davenport was pure magic to watch.

The other power players (even Sharapova most of the time) aren't really pretty to watch because they make so many "bad" mistakes. Serena when she's on is scary and demands respect, but it's not "beautiful" because it's too rough. Rough is sexy. Delicate is beautiful.

AmeDevotee
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Amelie! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

go hingis
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Martina Hingis - Her games beautiful to watch, she adds personality and never needed to use unsportsman like behavior to win.

go hingis
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
When Elena Dementieva is on, she is also amazing to watch. With or without the serve when her groundies are on she's unbeatable.

ico4498
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:40 AM
gymnasts ...

alfajeffster
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Nice..but if Goolagong is the most black player you can find, tjaa...says it all no.

Oh, I see. Light skinned black people don't count. I see that there's racism festering within racism within racism. How is it you say? "tjaa"!

bandabou
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Oh, I see. Light skinned black people don't count. I see that there's racism festering within racism within racism. How is it you say? "tjaa"!

Would've been ironic, huh? I see where you're coming from. Thing is I don't really consider Goolagong black. Yes, she's coloured..but for me she isn't black. She's closer to being white than being black.

Gibson, Ashe, Rubin, Garrison, Serena, Venus..they're black to me..

LegionArgentina
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Martina and Justine for me..

I also like Serena (when she is on) and Patty

frontier
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM
when serena is on she is amazing to watch,momo's game when she plays justine can be good but when she was bagelled in the semi at 2006 usa open that was not pretty.

alfajeffster
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Would've been ironic, huh? I see where you're coming from. Thing is I don't really consider Goolagong black. Yes, she's coloured..but for me she isn't black. She's closer to being white than being black.

My point exactly- not one light-skinned, let alone non-American black person on your list, and if the truth be told (at least by me), the only graceful tennis player on your list is Arthur Ashe.

I guess I just want you to open up your mindset to include the whole world. Grace and beauty in a tennis player have nothing to do with skin color.

QUEENLINDSAY
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:35 PM

I dont understand where the hatred is comming from. Its always about color when talking with you.

frontier
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM
who cares about light skin .black skin whatever.at this point hingis wishes she is serena who can come from nowhere and win.all those players in wta want to achieve like serena ,not to be graceful.at the moment serena is the 'yardstick 'for these players not justine or momo.until someone dominates wta ,at the moment the player to beat is serena.

Mr. Magassi
Mar 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I know she's not on the list, but i love to watch Capriati play (when she was at her best)... power, speed, balance and the cleanest and technically sound strokes i have seen (OK, the serve gave me ulcers, but when it was on -- OZ 01 -- it was a beaut)...

dangerjenny
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:30 PM
i have to say Serena for sure.

dadouch
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I used to think Henin has a great game, but after seeing Lucie's matches against Mauresmo and Henin I'm completely converted. I'm thrilled by her groundstrokes. She is so much fun to watch

frontier
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM
safarova has a very solid game.:D :cool: :bounce:

mike/topgun
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:06 PM
For me - Lindsay and Masha.Easily.:D
From those mentioned in the list - the two Swiss players have got the most "visually pleasing" game.;)

Tenis Srbija
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Ai Sugiyama, Martina Hingis, Jelena Janković :)

bandabou
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I dont understand where the hatred is comming from. Its always about color when talking with you.

Not hatred..just a constetation..

Contemplate
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM
This is such a subjective thread. And it makes no sense to lump all the power players together, while separating players like Justine and Amelie, as if their games are so inherently distinctive. To stoop to the level of answering this question, let me say that I voted for Serena! Her game is explosive and she plays with a certain ferocity that we've never seem before. When she serve slike she did in that Aussie final, no one comes close. Visually, her game ranks supreme!

Natalicious
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:15 PM
amelie :D

Nemesis
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
this kinda is a who is your fave poll
but I'm glad that one of the most loathed player's on this board is winning a poll on something positive.
and that's she's leading, is deserved!

bandabou
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
My point exactly- not one light-skinned, let alone non-American black person on your list, and if the truth be told (at least by me), the only graceful tennis player on your list is Arthur Ashe.

I guess I just want you to open up your mindset to include the whole world. Grace and beauty in a tennis player have nothing to do with skin color.

I was just pointing out whom I considered being black..thus the players that are/were black. As opposed to Goolagong.

I'm openminded...it's just startling to hear/see that almost all the black players, even the champs, are/were deemed as just merely power players..only winning by athletiscism, etc, etc..never graceful.
Goolagong, Ashe...ok, people have that right.

Hope that one day we'll have a black player who can "slice, run around backhand, etc ec.." ( what seems to be the standard for "grace)....let's wait and see if he/she's gonna get all the accolades the Graf's and Federer's received.

j-fan
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM
this kinda is a who is your fave poll
but I'm glad that one of the most loathed player's on this board is winning a poll on something positive.
and that's she's leading, is deserved!

Why makes you think that she is the most loathed player? Just curious.

Conor
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Why makes you think that she is the most loathed player? Just curious.

Justine is a player you either love... or hate... she even said it herself. Obviously people are just jealous thats shes the best player ever ;) :lol: You know its true!

supergrunt
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Venus

frenchie
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Justine is a player you either love... or hate... she even said it herself. Obviously people are just jealous thats shes the best player ever ;) :lol: You know its true!

:lol: :help: calm down!
Can't you just accept some people don't like her because they like fair-play;)

I don't like her game either. FH and serve don't look good and BH is overrated

Conor
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:53 PM
No you don't like her game because you dont want to like it :rolleyes: I can't be doing with you anyway... utter drivel....

switz
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM
when Patty is on she is stunning to watch (if you actually appreciate the intricacies of tennis). When she is off she is probably the most horrible player to watch of all time.

frenchie
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:57 PM
^^
You mean when she tanks....

hingisGOAT
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
when Patty is on she is stunning to watch (if you actually appreciate the intricacies of tennis). When she is off she is probably the most horrible player to watch of all time.

yeah, her lefty forehand is one of the most awesome shots in tennis when she manages to dictate with it... those angles :devil:

Dawn Marie
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Hingis. I love the power game but when it comes to my tennis eye I have to go with Martina Hingis. I like the way she moves the ball around while making few errors. I also like her dropper and net skills.

So even though my favorite's are Venus and Serena I do enjoy watching Hingis jerk her opponent's around while using little if no pace to do it with.