PDA

View Full Version : Henin, Mauresmo, Clijsters---INDIAN WELLS?

tennisrocks123
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:55 PM
can anyone tell me why they arent playing this year?

jjames69
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
there busy practicing for miami.

ce
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:02 PM
because they have a lot of money,and they dont care

jjames69
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:09 PM
henin just played back to back, momo, kim never really know about. momo may hit the clay early after miami.

saki
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Why should they? They'd all rather play elsewhere/rest/practice.

jazar
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
lazy cows?

slydevil6142
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Why ?? ... Indian Wells use to mean something but it usually has a field comparable to a tier II its a little better this year but only a little. I guess they cant compete with Miami.

John.
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
lazy cows?

:lol:

They would rather play Miami

GoDominique
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Because no one's forcing them to play.

timafi
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
mauresmo played paris,antwerp then flew to dubai
she's playing miami, amelia island,charleston,Fed cup,Qatar telecom german open,rome and rg
give her a damn break already:(

Williams-forever
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Now the big surprise is that Patty Schnyder isn't playing:eek: That's insane...

jjames69
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Why ?? ... Indian Wells use to mean something but it usually has a field comparable to a tier II its a little better this year but only a little. I guess they cant compete with Miami.

untrue, most of the seeds are usually there. kim won it 2 years ago, lindsay before that. this year kim is playing a reduced schedule and henin had her schedule thrown off by her divorce.

Tennisation
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Justine: filing divorce papers
Amelie: wine tasting
Kim: wedding plans

laurie
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:21 PM
If it's not a mandatory event, then I'm surprised and maybe it should lose its status. In fact, there was talk of that event been moved to another venue, even country but a new sponsor was found a couple of years ago.

In fact, Svetlana was not planning to play the event either, her agent told me that a month ago but she had a last minute change of plans and has decided to play.

A few years ago the likes of Davenport and Graf, Seles would play Indian Wells, Miami, green clay events, Italian open then roland Garros but players are looking to reduce their schedule more and more now it seems.

slydevil6142
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM
untrue, most of the seeds are usually there. kim won it 2 years ago, lindsay before that. this year kim is playing a reduced schedule and henin had her schedule thrown off by her divorce.

Yes they won it but who else was in the field to compete aginst them? ... the field this year isnt that bad everyone is acting as though Maria is chop liver....

John.
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM
It's a shame for the tournament that 3 of the biggest names in Women's tennis aren't playing.

Poova
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
The field is fine. There's only like five or six players from the top 20 missing - granted they're quite big players but for a Tier I it's not THAT bad. :confused:

Wayn77
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
15 of the top 20 are playing - that is not a weak field.

Conor
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Yes they won it but who else was in the field to compete aginst them? ... the field this year isnt that bad everyone is acting as though Maria is chop liver....

Is it just me or does it look like Venus' forehand in your avatar is going to hit the net? :confused: lol ;)

Justine isnt playing cause shes knackered... Mauresmo probably because she had like 4 tours in a row... and Kim cause shes preparing for her wedding lol

GoDominique
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM
The field is fine. There's only like five or six players from the top 20 missing - granted they're quite big players but for a Tier I it's not THAT bad. :confused:
Which shows that the Tier system is crap.

hablo
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Rest up, Momo, you sure need it.

thrust
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Miami is manditory, Indian Wells is not. Miami is just after IW, therefore, it is easier to just play Miami then the US Clay tournaments. Bad scheduling-whats new?

Sonja
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Mauresmo has played this tourney three times 2000, 2003 and 2005. As she plays quite a few tourneys before it, she needs a break before she plays Miami and then moves to the clay season.

Helen Lawson
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
The WTA has poured a fortune into the event, well, someone has. Everythng I've read, it's a beautiful, fan-friendly and player-friendly venue. I think the timing is what makes it bad, it's tough to play back to back 10-day events, especially top players who will get into the last weekend. Miami will always be more prestigious. Someone didn't plan well, the event should be at some other time in the year.

tennisrocks123
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I find it funny how fans are always screaming for the Wiliames to play Indian Wells again, well they don't deserve it. What they did years ago was atrocious and I dont blame the sisters for never going back. I would have that same demeanor and attitude.

Volcana
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:48 PM
15 of the top 20 are playing - that is not a weak field.3 of the top 5 are NOT playing. That IS a weak field. For a Tier I.

I think dropping Scottsdale from the schedule really hurt Indian Wells. Scottsdale used to get the best fields of any Tier II because everybody played it to get read for IW and Miami. And it gave players a bit more time to adjust to jet lag. (Also, the weather is gorgeoous there.)