PDA

View Full Version : Canīt see Sharapova losing in Indian Wells

@danieln1
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Her main rivals are not in the field: Henin, S. Williams, in a way Clijsters... Maybe Kuznetsova or Vaidisova can give her some trouble, and unfortunately i donīt see my favourite beating her, but letīs see what happens!
And itīs not a weak field!

John.
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
It depends how fit she is and how well she has recovered from her injury.

She is the heavy favourite, but never say never :)

ioni
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Her main rivals are not in the field: Henin, S. Williams, in a way Clijsters... Maybe Kuznetsova or Vaidisova can give her some trouble, and unfortunately i donīt see my favourite beating her, but letīs see what happens!

...at least you can hope that she will lose ! :devil: who knows maybe from the first round :p

Dexter
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
...at least you can hope that she will lose ! :devil: who knows maybe from the first round :pyou never know with those BYEs these days. :lol:

Adal
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Mostly depends in what form she is now. If serves like she did at the US Open, then I don't see her losing also, but if she continues to serve like in Australia and Tokyo then........ :tape: :help:

thrust
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Don^t be so sure! If she doesn^t play better than she did in the AO, she could lose, and lose early. Time will tell.

ioni
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM
you never know with those BYEs these days. :lol:

:lol: i wasn't counting BYE'S :lol: ..ok second round then ! but she can't lose from the first round if she withdraws..that's the only way a BYE can win :p

Adal
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
:lol: i wasn't counting BYE'S :lol: ..ok second round then ! but she can't lose from the first round if she withdraws..that's the only way a BYE can win :p
BYE will never win, it hasn't won a match in it's 1000 years career.

Matt01
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Can see Sharapova losing in Indian Wells .

@danieln1
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Those BYES, I forgot them! hahahahaha

ioni
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM

not even a match ? :awww: i feel sorry for BYE :hug: :lol:

starred06
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
She has yet to face JJ v.2.

ioni
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM

not only JJ .there is Ivanovic ,Vaidisova [wich i hope she will ] Hingis ...

bellascarlett
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Nobody knows how Maria has recovered or how she is playing. This thread is quite premature given she hasn't played as well as she could since the season started. We'll see. I hope she's recovered nicely and is ready to play her game.

John.
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Kuzzy is also in good form :)

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
not only JJ .there is Ivanovic ,Vaidisova [wich i hope she will ] Hingis ...

Yes, all players who can give her a run for her money.

ioni
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Yes, all players who can give her a run for her money.

do i sense a little sarcasm ?

Stavie
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Hingis is there as well , who knows?

Kampi
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Yeah. :rocker: From my point of view Maria will definitely not have an easy way to win IW. She is a very good player but nowhere near to be unbeatable for the other players at this tournament. If anybody thinks that she already won IW, think twice. And I agree, watch out for JJ.;)

Blu€
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Maria hasnt played much lately so it wouldnt surprise me if she didnt win but look at Henin, she was off 3 months and came back with two wins in a row so .......lets see what do Martina, Kuzzy, Jankovic & Co have to say

frontier
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM
omg they are showing speed stick commercial on abc,its so corny and they are using 2004 wimbledon title as part of the commercial that insulting to whoever won it after 2004.its same like i am pretty commercial just the same tasteless drivel.:help: :fiery:

Volcana
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:55 PM
And itīs not a weak field!It's not Toray Pan Pacific, but it IS a weak field. IW used to be one of the strongest Tier I's (along with Miami and Rome). Now it only has 2 of the top five, and lacks the years only GS champ, as well as the French Open and Wimbledon champions. Of the players ranked #6-#20, it does have twelve, but the tournament is light at the top.

Compared to ITSELF, a decade ago, the tournament has a weak field.

No Name Face
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
dementieva will beat sharapova :tape: :tape: :tape:

Cp6uja
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Sharapova is strong favourite for Indian Wells title, no doubt.

In IW main draw this year is 19 of WTA TOP25 players and in last six months Maria played atleast once against 12 of these 19 (TOP25) and have in that period perfect H2H score against all this girls (except 1:1 tide vs. Ana Ivanovic).

Shonami Slam
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
camille pin.

ioni
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
dementieva will beat sharapova :tape: :tape: :tape:

what's the :tape: for ? :lol: remember last year who she had to beat in the semis ? and to whom she lost in the final :lol: ?

Dementieva_Dude
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah, Maria should be the favourite...she is the top seed, #1 player etc.
But upsets can happen to anyone, anywhere. If she's going to win the title, she'll have to earn it...I mean, the field is week, but it's not exactly Bangalore or anything. It's far from a given.

morningglory
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I'm worried bout her hamstring

thrust
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM
The problem with IW is that Miami, which is manditory, comes right after IW ends. Poor scheduling!

starin
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
sharapoava has a leading H2H to aginst most of the players playing at IW. I just hope her & vaidisova end up playing each other. Its about time Sharapova and Sharapova clone finally played a match.

Emina.
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
i hope she plays some good tennis :) ...and wins the whole thing of course;)

Volcana
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I can NOT see Sharapova losing here. There's nobody here who you'd favor over her in a hard court match. They al eight don't have the serve, don't have the athleticism or can't hit with enough pace.

starin
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I can NOT see Sharapova losing here. There's nobody here who you'd favor over her in a hard court match. They al eight don't have the serve, don't have the athleticism or can't hit with enough pace.

uhhh... both Vaidisova and Ivanovic have the serve and the ground strokes to do some damage. And not enough pace, Vaidisova hit a 86mph winner against Serena during her AO SF. Sharapova should win, but she's hardly untouchable.

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
It's not Toray Pan Pacific, but it IS a weak field. IW used to be one of the strongest Tier I's (along with Miami and Rome). Now it only has 2 of the top five, and lacks the years only GS champ, as well as the French Open and Wimbledon champions. Of the players ranked #6-#20, it does have twelve, but the tournament is light at the top.

Compared to ITSELF, a decade ago, the tournament has a weak field.

10 years ago at Indian Wells, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario was the number 1 seed and Conchita Martinez was the number 2 seed. They were ranked respectively 4 and 5 in the world. This year they have the world number 1 and the world number 4. A slight improvement actually.

LDF
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Hopefully she's managed to get some good practice after that hamstring injury. She hasn't played a proper match in a few weeks and she didn't look in the greatest form in Australia. We'll see how it all pans out, but if she's fit and got her serving woes under control then it's hard to see her losing.

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I would never ever say any player is a lock for a tournament no matter how good they are when in their previous match just over a month ago that player retired injured. As far as I'm concerned, an injured player is an injured player until they play again and prove otherwise. If Sharapova is healthy she has a pretty good chance at winning although wouldn't bet the house on it.

Filippo-Nastya
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
She isn't playing since Tokyo so we don't know if she'll be in a good shape to win this tournament. I think that Kuznetsova, Jankovic and Chakvetadze can beat her.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM

One day it will come......and that day is getting closer ever minute.

Maria has indeed a good chance to win, but it also depends if Ana has the Tokyo form ;)

LUIS9
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM
She isn't playing since Tokyo so we don't know if she'll be in a good shape to win this tournament. I think that Kuznetsova, Jankovic and Chakvetadze can beat her.

Certainly Kuznetsova and Jankovic can beat Sharpie if they continue their good form of late and if Jelena has solved her ankle issues.

jazar
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
she will start as favorite. she is fresher than all her rivals but they are all match tight

miffedmax
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Try turning the TV set on.

RenaSlam.
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM
She will dominate. There is not even anyone noteworthy in this tournament other than her.

Hingis as the #2 seed. :tape:

bellascarlett
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM
sharapoava has a leading H2H to aginst most of the players playing at IW. I just hope her & vaidisova end up playing each other. Its about time Sharapova and Sharapova clone finally played a match.

:lol:

It's not a weak field. It's pretty strong actually if no one else withdraws. I don't know why ppl are exaggerating. It's certainly not Miami but Miami is mandatory so that's a different case. But it's stronger than a couple tier ones in general and certainly stronger than most tier 1s last year.

Based on IW entry list (can somebody tell me who has withdrawn apart from I think ALG so I can make it more accurate), there will be 7 out top 10 players and 15 out of top 20.

Tokyo this year had 3 of the top 10, FCC last year had 4 of the top 10 (and 7 of the top 20), Montreal last year had 4 of the top 10, Rome last year had 4 of the top 10 as well (1 top 5).

Other tier 1s: San Diego last year had 6 of top 10, Zurich had 6 of top 10, Berlin had 6 of the top 10, Moscow had 7 of the top 10 (11 of the top 20).

Most importantly, IW last year only had 4 top 10 players.

So I really don't see where the implication that the draw is weak is coming from. The only thing I can think of is that there is no one who at the outset is at the level of Sharapova in general (of course, when she is playing well). Meaning, the draw's strength would stop being questioned if even just ONE of Justine, Mauresmo, or Kim played (Serena doesn't play IW). That way, right off the bat, you have two players penciled in for the final. But as I've highlighted above, based on the previous tier ones, this is far from a weak field. To top it all off, given the questions over Maria's health and game, there a few others who could go all the way.

miffedmax
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Yeah, but one of those Top 10 players is that lame-ass from Moscow, and judging from GM the last couple weeks that bee-yatch shouldn't even be ranked in the Top100. :rolleyes:

Tennisaddict
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Kuznetsova is always a threat to Maria S. She can beat Maria quite convincingly as she did last year in the final of Miami Svetlana just played :drool:. Hingis only has a chance if Maria is making many errors or if she starts playing the way Hingis likes.

Vaidisova is probably not ready to mentally challenge Maria. JJ could provide for a real battle and maybe even beat her. Weīll see. I hope Sveta will make a mark in IW and win it.

jjames69
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM
maria needs the work here. this is where she turned her year around last year. hopefully she brings her serve.

bellascarlett
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Kuznetsova is always a threat to Maria S. She can beat Maria quite convincingly as she did last year in the final of Miami Svetlana just played :drool:. Hingis only has a chance if Maria is making many errors or if she starts playing the way Hingis likes.

Ehhhh...did you see the final last year? I don't want to start anything and Sveta deserved her win. she played well. But Maria wasn't quite there. (She had that drama of a semifinal the night before where some ppl booed her. Maria also had been playing 4 weeks straight.)

Anyway, Kuzzy had the goods to beat Maria and I agree is a threat but I remember being disgusted with Maria's play in that final.

jjames69
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Ehhhh...did you see the final last year? I don't want to start anything and Sveta deserved her win. she played well. But Maria wasn't quite there. (She had that drama of a semifinal the night before where some ppl booed her. Maria also had been playing 4 weeks straight.)

Anyway, Kuzzy had the goods to beat Maria but I remember being disgusted with Maria's play in that final.

i think wev've seen maria on a given day can lose to a lot of people. especially if her serve and forehand aren't working. petrova, hingis, kuz, etc. will make her play well, if she is too win.

Wayn77
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Anyway, Kuzzy had the goods to beat Maria but I remember being disgusted with Maria's play in that final.

Do you remember that damn noisey plane buzzing overhead during the final as well? ... Maria in particular was getting upset with it.

- don't know why I suddenly remembered this :shrug:

PLP
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Do you remember that damn noisey plane buzzing overhead during the final as well? ... Maria in particular was getting upset with it.

:lol:

At first it was funny, but then I started to scream at the TV!

bellascarlett
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM
i think wev've seen maria on a given day can lose to a lot of people. especially if her serve and forehand aren't working. petrova, hingis, kuz, etc. will make her play well, if she is too win.

Well, you said it...if they aren't working. If her serve/forehand as you say aren't working (up to their normal standard) then of course yes, she'll be in danger. But she is a fighter, and as the AO proved, her opponent would still have to play well to beat her. So your use of "a lot of people" I think is stretching it. But like any other player, she has her off days. Nobody else is like Federer.

hingisGOAT
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
williams fans commenting on hingis once again. LMAO.

renaslam: considering how often you have posted some variation of "hingis #2 seed? lolz total", i guess you have never taken the time to do some research and notice that she is the #3 seed :shrug:

bellascarlett
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:56 PM

YES!!!! And all the while I was writing that post I was thinking about it. :lol:

I just didn't want to bring it up as an excuse. But yeah Maria was visibly irritated, but she wasn't playing well so of course it bothered her more. But damn, didn't that stupid plane go on for like a set or something? At least a good couple of games. :lol:

hingisGOAT
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:56 PM
pertaining to the thread: sharapova has not impressed me in the slightest this year. jankovic, vaidisova, hingis, ivanovic, and kuznetsova are players who WILL beat her if her form remains as it has for her first two tournaments of the year. if she improves her form, those players CAN beat her anyway, so this thread is pointless

Buitenzorg
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM
She is ONLY human, anything is possible!

Hingis could cause some trouble for her :p

Buitenzorg
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Vaidisova, Chakvetadze, Ivanovic and Hantuchova are also capable to beat her (never underestimate your opponents!)

sweetpeas
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Maria will hold that trophy! no doubt?

Shvedbarilescu
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:42 PM
She will dominate. There is not even anyone noteworthy in this tournament other than her.

Hingis as the #2 seed. :tape:

Do you want to hear something that might make you sleep a little better. Hingis won't be the #2 seed. Sharapova will be the top seed and Kuznetsova will be the #2 seed. Hingis will be seeded at #3. There. Doesn't that make you feel better. Now please stop going on about the same boring thing over and over. No one else cares where Hingis is seeded anyway. :mad:

trufanjay
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Kuznetsova and Hingis could be a problem for her.

IceHock
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM
She has a tough draw, Zvonareva in the round of 16, then Jankovic, then either Hingis, Chakvetadze, or Safarova.

mboyle
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:50 PM

Kuznetsova yes, possibly.

Vaidisova and Ivanovic also match up well with Sharapova.

However, NO ONE beats Maria without being more aggressive than she is (and only J2H is good enough to do it at net.)

Neither Jankovic nor Chaky has enough power to beat Maria--end of story.

Maria's true threats are Kuznetsova, Vaidisova and Ivanovic.

trufanjay
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
That's all true but if Maria shows up playing the type of tennis she played throughout most of Melbourne and in Tokyo then so many players are a threat. Not only the power players.

mboyle
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
That's all true but if Maria shows up playing the type of tennis she played throughout most of Melbourne and in Tokyo then so many players are a threat. Not only the power players.

You mean the type of tennis that pulverized Kim Clijsters? Not everyone is Serena Williams.

God see this is why it is so hard to like Serena, because of fans like you. I have to work so hard to keep my respect for Serena separate from her unusually callous, cocky and hateful fans like you. Why don't you worry about Serena and stay out of Maria threads?

blumaroo
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Kuznetsova yes, possibly.

Vaidisova and Ivanovic also match up well with Sharapova.

However, NO ONE beats Maria without being more aggressive than she is (and only J2H is good enough to do it at net.)

Neither Jankovic nor Chaky has enough power to beat Maria--end of story.

Maria's true threats are Kuznetsova, Vaidisova and Ivanovic.

If a rusty Maria shows up, players like Anna C and Jankovic are going to be her biggest threats. They retrieve many balls and keep the errors down. Maria used to struggle with players like Myskina and Kirilenko etc. Players like Sveta/Nicole/Ana can have an erratic day and spray many errors. They're not necessarily a bigger threat.
You are right that no other player beats Maria with being more aggressive than she is aside from Justine and ofcourse Serena. But overpowering Maria isn't the way to beat her. Moving her around and making her tired is the way to go. Maria will win 95% of the time against players who play like herself.

mboyle
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM
If a rusty Maria shows up, players like Anna C and Jankovic are going to be her biggest threats. They retrieve many balls and keep the errors down. Maria used to struggle with players like Myskina and Kirilenko etc. Players like Sveta/Nicole/Ana can have an erratic day and spray many errors. They're not necessarily a bigger threat.
You are right that no other player beats Maria with being more aggressive than she is aside from Justine and ofcourse Serena. But overpowering Maria isn't the way to beat her. Moving her around and making her tired is the way to go. Maria will win 95% of the time against players who play like herself.

See this simply isn't true. She struggled against Myskina as a young teenager, yes, but since winning Wimbledon she's won 5 of 7 sets, I believe. And she's never lost to Kirilenko in her life (unless you count retirements, which I certainly do not.)

Ultimately, Maria is a good enough player that, even if she's playing terribly, she's going to win unless you take it from her. Chaky and Jelena getting balls back is nice, but, when Maria is desperate, as she was against Camille Pin, she starts to get the ball back with 3/4 pace and good depth. She doesn't miss, and she goes for the winner when she gets an obvious short ball. In other words, if you can't hit a winner off Maria's 3/4 pace shot, you're not going to beat her. Chaky certainly can't do this. Jelena might be able to.

The other thing is: if you look at stats, neither Chaky nor Jelena is actually more consistent than Maria. Maria usually has a better winner/ufe ratio.

Finally, Maria is one of the fittest players on tour now. She still struggles in the extreme heat, but IW is not that hot in March. Also, I doubt either JJ or AC could control enough rallies for long enough to make Maria tired--especially if, as you imply, Maria must make a lot of errors for them to win.

Slampova
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM
The draw could through up some potential difficulties. The first will probably be Zvonereva, but even playing like she did in Tokoyo, I can't see her losing to Vera. I'd doubt also that she'll lose to Jankovic here as Jelena's still basically playing on one leg. The Semis will probably be were the first major test for Maria will take place.
Hopefully the first few rounds should be enough to play Maria into form. I wanna see her defend her title here then go on to win the IW/Miami double that she was so close to last year :)

blumaroo
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:27 PM
See this simply isn't true. She struggled against Myskina as a young teenager, yes, but since winning Wimbledon she's won 5 of 7 sets, I believe. And she's never lost to Kirilenko in her life (unless you count retirements, which I certainly do not.)

Ultimately, Maria is a good enough player that, even if she's playing terribly, she's going to win unless you take it from her. Chaky and Jelena getting balls back is nice, but, when Maria is desperate, as she was against Camille Pin, she starts to get the ball back with 3/4 pace and good depth. She doesn't miss, and she goes for the winner when she gets an obvious short ball. In other words, if you can't hit a winner off Maria's 3/4 pace shot, you're not going to beat her. Chaky certainly can't do this. Jelena might be able to.

The other thing is: if you look at stats, neither Chaky nor Jelena is actually more consistent than Maria. Maria usually has a better winner/ufe ratio.

Finally, Maria is one of the fittest players on tour now. She still struggles in the extreme heat, but IW is not that hot in March. Also, I doubt either JJ or AC could control enough rallies for long enough to make Maria tired--especially if, as you imply, Maria must make a lot of errors for them to win.

I think you underrestimate Chaky's shotmaking. She certainly is able to hit a winner off a 3/4 pace shot of Maria. A 3/4 pace shot of Maria is basically a Safina shot and I'v seen Anna C demolish Safina with various crosscourt/dtl winners. The only reason why I don't think Anna C and Jelena are going to win against a rusty Maria is because they're shaky mentally.
And don't forget I'm talking about a rusty and mediocre playing Maria. I know just as well that a healthy Maria will hit through them all. I do still think that non power players are going to be troubling her the most. Remember how Amelie/Golovin troubled Maria. And about Maria being one of the fittest players on tour, I'm not sure about that. She is fitter for her own standards maybe.

Corswandt
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:40 PM
A 3/4 pace shot of Maria is basically a Safina shot

Something wholly original, insightful and 100% accurate has just been posted on WTAW's GM.

The world must be coming to and end.

miffedmax
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM
You mean the type of tennis that pulverized Kim Clijsters? Not everyone is Serena Williams.

God see this is why it is so hard to like Serena, because of fans like you. I have to work so hard to keep my respect for Serena separate from her unusually callous, cocky and hateful fans like you. Why don't you worry about Serena and stay out of Maria threads?

And this is why I get tired of TOB fans.

Don't come into a thread in GM and expect everybody to be gushing over your favorite. Stay in Maria's Mafia if that's all you want.

Of course, you're free to stick up for your fave in a GM thread. But don't expect everybody else on the board to share your opinion and whine when they don't.

égalité
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:51 PM
She's in Jelena's quarter :unsure:

blumaroo
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Something wholly original, insightful and 100% accurate has just been posted on WTAW's GM.

The world must be coming to and end.

Do you expect anything less from me? :lol: Just joking.

blumaroo
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
She's in Jelena's quarter :unsure:

Is Jelena still without a leg? In that case, she won't be much of a threat against any top player.

@danieln1
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I just saw the draw: Jankovic, Martina, Maria, Peer, Chakvetadze, very tough top half...
Kuznetsova, Petrova, Dementieva in the bottom half, what a great tournament! And some people said this is a weak field...

Andrew Laeddis
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:57 PM
if sharapova plays well, she should should win. i can only see sveta troubling her. if she serving good i dont see jankovic, ivanovic, or vaidisova beating her. Her records against dementieva and petrova speak for themselves.