PDA

View Full Version : Nicole Vaidisova Article

Marcell
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Serving up a challenging workout
Training at Bradenton's Bollettieri Center preps Vaidisova for women's tennis tour
MIKE HENRY
Herald Staff Writer
BRADENTON - Nicole Vaidisova moves with grace and elegance, mixing in powerful bursts for added effect.
At the moment, the 17-year-old Bradenton resident isn't on the tennis court. She is inside the Bollettieri Sports Medicine Center, attacking a series of strength and movement-efficiency exercises prescribed by physical therapist Dave Hogarth.

Vaidisova's objective: To be in peak physical condition when she returns to action this week at the $2.1 million Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, Calif. Her off-court workout regimen is designed to keep her fit, healthy and eager to compete on a year-round basis.

"Because the season is so long and grueling, injury prevention is the key factor for Nicole in staying on the court and playing the tournaments she wants to play," Hogarth said.

"She is both blessed and cursed with long limbs, so she needs to work hard on her lower-body flexibility and her leg and core strength to stay low. We also want to make sure her shoulder and arm stay strong, because they're swinging the racquet."

The No. 9-ranked player on the Sony Ericsson Women's Tennis Association Tour, Vaidisova brings enthusiasm and diligence to her six-days-a-week sessions. Since moving with her family from the Czech Republic six years ago to train at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy, she has learned the truth of an old American saying: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

"A lot of tennis is about fitness," said the 6-foot Vaidisova, coached on the court by her father, Ales Kodat. "A match goes to the third set, sometimes it's hot. . . . I don't think I have ever cramped in my life. I've never really felt tired in a third set.

"Some players, when the match goes to three sets, you can feel they're going away. They can't breathe any more. They're trying to make the points as short as possible."

Vaidisova's athleticism and marathoner's mentality - combined with her powerful serve and ground strokes - have propelled her near the top of the women's game in rapid fashion.

Already a six-time winner on tour, Vaidisova reached back-to-back semifinals in January. She made a stirring run in the Australian Open before losing to eventual champion Serena Williams 7-6 (5), 6-4. It was her second Grand Slam semifinal appearance; in last year's French Open, she upset top-seeded Amelie Mauresmo and Venus Williams before falling against Svetlana Kuznetsova a match from the finals.

Hogarth attributes her climb, in large part, to her physical condition.

"Nicole is very interested in what she needs to do to prepare off the court," said Hogarth. "Her goals are set so high, she needs to be that way. We have an agreement: If I can't tell her why she is doing something, there is no reason for her to do it."

Typically, Vaidisova will hit balls for a couple hours in the morning, then undergo light-weight rehabilitation and flexibility-type exercises inside the center. After a midday break, she returns to the court for more tennis, followed by afternoon conditioning that may include a long run or movement training.

"What I do in here keeps me going," Vaidisova said after working out last week. "It helps me get faster and stronger and keep injury-free. I like to run more than lift, but Dave makes it interesting by giving me a lot of exercises. Having this center is one of the main reasons I'm here."

Since the Bollettieri center (located on IMG Academies' campus) is available to the public, individuals going through rehabilitation often find themselves conditioning side-by-side with athletes of renown such as Vaidisova.

After undergoing pancreatic surgery, Bradenton financial advisor John Tucker found himself unable to raise his right hand above his shoulder - a condition he thinks may have been caused by trying to protect his stomach while sleeping.

Tucker, 60, is a devoted golfer. After learning he did not have rotator-cuff damage, he began seeing Hogarth for rehabilitation exercises three days a week over a period of two months.

"I needed to improve my range of motion with my hand," said Tucker, who recently shot a respectable 84 at Bradenton Country Club in his return to the links. "Dave is probably one of the best guys there is in the country with scapular injuries, and my arm has improved tremendously.

"You look around the (Bollettieri) center, and 80 percent of the people have a good amount of gray hair, but Maria Sharapova was there two days when I was there. When you see those kind of athletes work, it is an inspiration to us old guys to work a little harder."

On rare occasions, though, even Vaidisova has trouble getting fired up for certain exercises.

"I hate pull-ups," she said, laughing. "I call it a combined workout because I do a couple, and Dave pulls me up on the rest."

arslan2660
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Interesting..

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Only goes to show that she has a good work ethic and is really trying to work on her weaknesses and become better. Some young girls on the tour don't have that, and that separates them from Nicole.

PLP
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Great article!

Nicole IS particularly strong in 3rd sets...and now I know why! :)

Vaidisova
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.bradenton.com/images/bradenton/bradenton/16838/283518647112.jpg
Bradenton resident and WTA Tour pro Nicole Vaidisova works out six days a week at IMG Academies in the offseason.

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Bradenton resident and WTA Tour pro Nicole Vaidisova works out six days a week at IMG Academies in the offseason.

A fitness ball! I love fitness balls. They are so useful.

CORIA01
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
NICOLE IS VERY STRONG PHYSICALLY!!!
GREAT EFFORTS FROM HER TO KEEP TRAINING HARD

Slumpsova
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
awww :hearts:

Derek.
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Nicole. :hearts:

She's a hard worker for sure. :D

John.
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Interesting article.

Good to see her commitment level

Sexysova
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM
yes she's hard worker ;) check media on my site for VIDEO - WOMAN SPORT PROFILE :) - interesting video about NICOLE :) http://nicolevaidisova.hostuju.cz/videos1.php and it's MY VIDEO - SPORT WOMAN PROFILE :)

jazar
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM
thats interesting. so how come her movement around court is often slow and sluggish?

Sharapova's_Boy
Mar 6th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Nikki :worship: