PDA

View Full Version : German Open, Berlin - advice please :)

smiler
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I'm going to Berlin for the German open this year :bounce: I was wondering if anybody who's been there before or lives near Berlin could recomend any nice hotels/ good B&B's in a good location for the stadium?

Thank you! :wavey:

AlwaysGraf
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Oh I've been to Berlin twice, last year. It's such a great place. I really want to live there :) I don't know where the stadium is, but we stayed in the gay quarter, in a little hotel beside the train station. It was nice, just perfect for a short stay. I can find out where it is and details and contact no's if it's near the stadium at all

matthias
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
the Stadium is near the S-bahn Station Grunewald
so the best is you get a hotel/BB in berlin and use the S-Bahn to Grunewald
and then walk few meters to the venue

tiptop
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I live in Berlin, but can't recomend you a backpacker (because I never needed one ;)). I would be surprised, if you'd find a good backpacker in Grunewald. So I would advise you to stay in the city (there are dozens of accommodations to chose from) and take the S-Bahn to Grunewald.

matthias
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.bvg.de/index.php/de/Common/Document/field/file/id/2597

it´s a map from the Berlin Trasnsport System
Grunewald is left on the middle, purple route - and a bit alone

ChampLindsay
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM
the Stadium is near the S-bahn Station Grunewald
so the best is you get a hotel/BB in berlin and use the S-Bahn to Grunewald
and then walk few meters to the venue

yeah right!!!

there is an motel, called 'AVUS' is in the near of the ''DEUSCHLANDHALLE'' may be 5 min, no more.... and from this ''DEUTSCHLANDHALLE'' there is a shuttle bus only for the GERMAN OPEN... this bus takes you to the stadium!!!:) really nice oraganisation from GO!!!:worship:

and the motel is cheap and very nice....

i think for one or 2 nights this motel is very good, because you get very fast to the stadium !!!

here is the HP:sry but not in english!

http://www.avus-motel.de/1.home.html

and here you can see weher the motel is and where teh stadium is....

http://www.google.de/maps?hl=de&lr=lang_de&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&hs=0AX&q=motel+avus&near=Berlin&sa=X&oi=local&ct=title

go a little bit to the southwest and there it is the STEFFI-Graf Stadium!!:)

so have fun!!!:angel:

smiler
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Thank you so much for all the great info and advice everybody so far...., keep it coming ;)

forever_rafter
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I'm going to Berlin for the German open this year :bounce: I was wondering if anybody who's been there before or lives near Berlin could recomend any nice hotels/ good B&B's in a good location for the stadium?

Thank you! :wavey:

Maybe you would like to visit Warsaw a week after? :)

Lady
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I was there last year, great time! :D
Thinking of going again this year. The ticket prices for students are simply amazing!

Dexter
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Maybe you would like to visit Warsaw a week after? :)Rather week before ;)

Ok the field is weeker, but not bad at all. Let's compare tickest prizes... Week ticket for students in Warsaw = aprox 30 euros, in Berlin it's way more expensive. You do the maths... :lol:

Vamos
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I was last year in Berlin and had also a great time :)
María Sánchez Lorenzo gave me a vip pass, so I had free entree!

I stayed at the City Pension Berlin, just near the Berlin Charlottenburg S-Bahn station, just 10min with the train to Grunewald!

And just 10 min walking from Kurfurstendamm, the street to be ;)

I am not going this year as i might go to WTA Barcelona, but it is a great tournament!

http://www.city-pension.de/English/Home.htm

Lady
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Rather week before ;)

Ok the field is weeker, but not bad at all. Let's compare tickest prizes... Week ticket for students in Warsaw = aprox 30 euros, in Berlin it's way more expensive. You do the maths... :lol:

The ticket price for students in Berlin for the final was 7.5 EUR. You do the math. :p

Paule22
Mar 6th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I would not stay at the Avus-Motel, that would mean a not very nice sorrounding and you are not really near the Deutschlandhalle nor really near of Kudamm. Try to find some cheap hotel in the West, near Kurfüstendamm, so you have some fun in the evening and i think more important, some playces to go and eat.

I did Warsaw and Berlin last year, really liked it. But Berlin WAS 10min from my home. Now its 4 hours :)

smiler
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks again for all this info everybody,....

ChampLindsay
Mar 6th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I would not stay at the Avus-Motel, that would mean a not very nice sorrounding and you are not really near the Deutschlandhalle nor really near of Kudamm. Try to find some cheap hotel in the West, near Kurfüstendamm, so you have some fun in the evening and i think more important, some playces to go and eat.

I did Warsaw and Berlin last year, really liked it. But Berlin WAS 10min from my home. Now its 4 hours :)

but yeah yoz are not so near to the Kudamm and all the sights but for the GO this Motel is very perfect... but there is only 5 min to go to the Deutschlandhalle... on the other hand here you dont have some good restaurants oder something for the evening but i think for one oder 2 nights its ok!;)

thats my opinion.....

LostGlory
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice but I still find all this information confusing, any nice hotels in berlin center that anyone actually stayed at......or maybe some one that would like to rent a house for a few days...

smiler
Mar 7th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Bump ;)

A Potential
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM
The German open has always been one of my favourite tournaments.

Vamos
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice but I still find all this information confusing, any nice hotels in berlin center that anyone actually stayed at......or maybe some one that would like to rent a house for a few days...

Did you read what I wrote?

I stayed at the City Pension Berlin and had a great time last year at the German Open!

LostGlory
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Did you read what I wrote?

I stayed at the City Pension Berlin and had a great time last year at the German Open!

yes i did thanks, I think smiler wants soomething where she can have fun and at the same time enjoy Berlin....

Wayn77
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Oh yes and Berlin is a very cool, hip, bohemian city - full of the beautiful people. So make sure (like me) you always look the part.:cool: :cool:

http://fuzztones.net/gfx/tribute/madjuana.jpg

LostGlory
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I know, smiler told me she wanted to enjoy the tourney and at the same time enjoy Berlin, she needs a good cheap hotel in the heart of Berlin, but I think it is hard to get something cheap.

matthias
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:10 PM
maybe berlin-tourist can help you

http://www.berlin-tourist-information.de/index.en.php?

matthias
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:18 PM
i really don´t know how much money you have in your budget, but i did always well with Ibis-Hotels
http://www.ibishotel.com/photos/0657a00.gif

i checked it , and it cost 70euro per night (1 or 2 persons)
you see ont he map it isn´t far away from "Grunewald" where the tournament take place.

Vamos
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
City Pension Berlin is much cheaper ;)
It was only € 45,-- per night........

Vamos
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:57 PM
The German open has always been one of my favourite tournaments.

I find it a great tournament too.....

And you like María!

I am still sorry she stopped her career, but I know she is happy with it.
If you still wanta signed photo from her, plz let me know and I will send you one.

Paule22
Mar 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Another suggestion if you want it realy cheap (20 euros). Stay at the youth hostel! From Berlin International (Kluckstr.) its only 5minutes to the famous KadeWe and 30 minutes to Grunewald by bus. From youth hostel Berlin-Wannsee the venue is even closer, but its much more boring in Wannsee, so i would prefer Kluckstr., which is also near the hot Potsdamer Platz and all the sights like Brandenburger Tor and Reichstag.

GoDominique
Mar 9th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Another suggestion if you want it realy cheap (20 euros). Stay at the youth hostel! From Berlin International (Kluckstr.) its only 5minutes to the famous KadeWe and 30 minutes to Grunewald by bus. From youth hostel Berlin-Wannsee the venue is even closer, but its much more boring in Wannsee, so i would prefer Kluckstr., which is also near the hot Potsdamer Platz and all the sights like Brandenburger Tor and Reichstag.
Haha I stayed at Kluckstraße hostel on a class trip in 11th grade. It's nice. :p

suzie
Mar 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I have a question about tickets:
Did any of you buy tickets online and if so, do they send the tickets by mail?

Thanks in advance. :)

Paule22
Mar 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I would not buy tickets online. If you are not going only on Saturday, buy them there. And if you going on Saturday and some other days and its good weather, buy the tickets for saturday on friday for example. If its bad weather, buy the tickets just every day. Its not very crowded.

Vamos
Mar 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I have a question about tickets:
Did any of you buy tickets online and if so, do they send the tickets by mail?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi Suzie :)

I didn't buy tickets at all ;)

You can buy the tickets day by day, not a problem.

Don't buy the expensive tickets, because with the cheaper tickets you can sit at the best places the first two days........if there isn't too much crowed.

You already have a hotelroom?

suzie
Mar 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I would not buy tickets online. If you are not going only on Saturday, buy them there. And if you going on Saturday and some other days and its good weather, buy the tickets for saturday on friday for example. If its bad weather, buy the tickets just every day. Its not very crowded.
Danke (I'm practicing my inexistent german already!) :D

Hi Suzie :)

I didn't buy tickets at all ;)

You can buy the tickets day by day, not a problem.

Don't buy the expensive tickets, because with the cheaper tickets you can sit at the best places the first two days........if there isn't too much crowed.

You already have a hotelroom?
I know you are a VIP. :p j/k :hug: I won't be there for the first days, actually I'm not there for the tennis - I'll see if I manage to go for a day or two, depending on my schedule. And yes, I've booked a hotel - again not very convenient for the tennis but I'll work it out. ;)

JuchuKai
Mar 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Hi,:wavey:

here's an overview about hostels in Berlin.
http://www.hostels.com/en/findabed.php?ChosenCity=Berlin&ChosenCountry=Germany

The German Open are located in a rather boring rich-people-big-houses area. I wouldn't wanna stay there. I'd rather get a hostel in the city and take the metro or a bus to the venue. The public transportation network here is actually very good.

Vamos
Mar 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I know you are a VIP.

I was a VIP :cool:
But I guess I will never be a VIP anymore.
It was very special to be in the playersroom :angel:

I hope you will find some time to visit the German Open and Berlin is a very nice city!

Bye :wavey:

Vamos
Mar 17th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Did everybody find a nice place to stay?