PDA

View Full Version : Coco Vandeweghe wins IW pre-qualies tourney

Andrew..
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Coco won the IW pre-qualifying tournament today, and will now play Gagliardi in the qualifying draw.

I've seen Coco play before. She's a big girl with a big game, and I think her future is bright. Plus, she's very nice to talk to, and has a good head on her shoulders.

I wish her luck.

Natash.
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I've never heard of her or seen her but I'll check out her results. Good luck to her in qualies!

DennisPostedThis
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Good luck to her, I don't know if she'll be able to challenge Emanuelle though.

The Kaz
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:44 AM
jeez Emmanuelle has got lucky...Bagel Girl Brie Whitehead in Dubai Qs and now Breadstick Girl Coco Vandeweghe

Ballbasher
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:48 AM
She took 6 games of Bondarenko and beat Top300 Mervana Jugic Salkic.

-sugi-
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Go Coco :)

Derek.
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Coco. :D

Dexter
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM
:banana:.

tobi
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Congrats Coco

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
does Coco Pops sponsor her yet ;) ???

go Coco in qualies :)

hingis-seles
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
She's the same girl who got a wildcard into the main draw of a summer hardcourt event last year, right? Nice to see some results from her again.

Keaka
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
http://69.43.137.200/weblogs/tln-wp2/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Svandeweghe01.jpg Is this her? You can never know what can you get on the net :haha:

Monica_Rules
Mar 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Never heard of her before. Any info on her?

rjd1111
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM

I think she is Basket Baller KiKi's niece.

piercerocks
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
she can do it!!

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I like her name.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I think she is Basket Baller KiKi's niece.

that doesnt help 90% of the people here

auntie janie
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM

She's 6'1", and she's coached by Jose Higueras.

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
She's 6'1", and she's coached by Jose Higueras.
Well, there goes her future.

auntie janie
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Coco article from a couple weeks ago, first posted by spiceboy:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20070220-9999-1s20tennotes.html

Coco's old genes look good

By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 20, 2007

Coco Vandeweghe, 15, has withdrawn from La Costa Canyon High and has begun home schooling in Palm Springs in order that she can be coached by Jose Higueras, a noted tennis instructor.

“She was just dying to do it,” said Coco's mother, Tauna Vandeweghe of Rancho Santa Fe, who is married to Michael O'Shea but retains the name Vandeweghe.

As her mother noted, Coco is not a typical 15-year-old. She is 6-feet-1, weighs 150 and has the genes of a champion if not, just yet, the complete game of a champion. Within a year, her mother said if things go well for Coco in her association with Higueras, she should be able to play with anybody.
“Her only weakness is inexperience,” said her mother.

Certainly, she has the genes to excel. Consider:

+ Her grandfather is Ernie Vandeweghe, a onetime stalwart of the New York Knicks.

+ Her mother, who is just a shade under 6-feet-3, swam competitively at UCLA. At 20, she began playing volleyball at USC and was a member of the U.S. women's volleyball team at the Montreal Olympics in 1984.

+ Vandeweghe's mother was “Miss America” in 1952. Her name was Colleen Kay Hutchins. She was the sister of 6-foot-6 Mel Hutchins, a basketball star at BYU who was the second player named (by the Tri-Cities Blackhawks) in the NBA's 1951 draft. Mel Hutchins would play seven years in the NBA with three teams.

+ Coco's uncle is Kiki Vandeweghe, a former UCLA basketball star who has served as the general manager of the Denver Nuggets and currently is a television commentator on NBA matters.

As her mother details her daughter's game, Coco never is going to be one of those women who take a stand at the baseline and rally interminably. She is being prepared to play a “big game,” which takes time to develop, but she has the serve to do it.

“What's important to us is not today,” said her mother.

For the first time in three years, Coco is fully healthy, according to her mother. A mold that had developed in the family's Rancho Santa Fe home had taxed her immune system and made her vulnerable to injuries.

“Every time she got tired, she got hurt,” her mother said. “She went two years when she almost didn't finish a tournament.”

But she is fit now and her mother said she is profiting from the counseling she is receiving from Higueras.

“He has a very strong work ethic; he is the person Jim Courier and Pete Sampras went to when they wanted to get in shape,” Tauna Vandeweghe said. “Coco is not a little bitty girl; she is an athlete. Everybody who sees her says, 'Oh, boy, she looks great.'

Coco currently is competing in the Girls 18s Supernationals in Hawaii.

Just Do It
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Coco :haha: I like that name :yeah:

GL :wavey:

jazar
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
she is a very impressive girl, but surely gagliardi will be a bit too much for her at the moment

Frode
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Fantastic name, she is also giving Gagliardi a match at the moment.

Pictures anyone?

auntie janie
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Fantastic name, she is also giving Gagliardi a match at the moment.

Pictures anyone?

Use the link above the article I posted; there's one pic there. But that may be a site you have to register to use; I'm not sure, because I register for many news sites. :D

Frode
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Use the link above the article I posted; there's one pic there. But that may be a site you have to register to use; I'm not sure, because I register for many news sites. :D

Thanks. She looks like a big girl alright. I wonder if she's still growing.

Still fighting, even though she lost the first set.

auntie janie
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I wish the whole family would play. It'd be fun to yell "Tauna, Kiki, Coco! Tauna, Kiki, Coco!" :aparty: