PDA

View Full Version : Anna vs. Venus 99' Wimbledon Highlights

Paneru
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vCMrUJB3E
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oqt37IaBLw

Great quality of play from Anna & Venus.

Anna with great hands @ the net & Venus
with legs that can seemingly run for days. :cool:

Get so caught up in the other stuff w/Anna
that it's easy to forget just how talented
she was.:cool:

the jamierbelyea
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:07 PM
:) I miss Anna

disco_rage
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Great videos, thanks for posting!

Libertango
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I was at this match, it was great to see it live! They both played VERY well!

Thanks Paneru! :D

disco_rage
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Shows how good Anna K was. If only the injuries and the other shit didnt get happen.. What could she of done!!

s_j
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I never realised Anna was actually that good! I'm impressed!

sweetpeas
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks.........................

thomas.chung
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I really think, after watching this video, that Anna Kournikova actually has more game to return to the top 30 of the world than most people would have thought. Too bad that she is content with her life at this point (which I am glad she is). Anna somehow does remind me of Martina in that both their games are built so much on a good balance of touch and placement, although Kournikova hits the ball a little harder. I really want her to come back now though.

MisterQ
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Great match, and yes, both Venus and Anna were quite impressive. :tennis: Thanks for sharing that.

KBdoubleu
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM
thanks soo much

This will remind everyone how well Kournikova played and she wasn't just a beautiful girl who played tennis.

LoveFifteen
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Excellent highlight real. Those were the days. :sad:

frenchie
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Just to remember some people on this board that Anna could (can??) play!
her shots were so flat and hard

Sefo
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
No more breath for Anna in the 3rd set.

new-york
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM
i love that match. two great youngies.

i love Anna's game, if only she was still here playing.:(

Adal
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Good match from both players :)

The Dawntreader
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Venus such an awesome mover:worship:

I thought at the time, if she's so going to win Wimbledon soon:D

Steffica Greles
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Could Venus make those leaps now I ask? She seemed so much more effervescent back then. Of course, we all get older and we can't stay 19, as she was, just turned, in those highlights, but Venus since the age of about 24 has seemed just a little less eager to me. Her body has aged quickly.

Anna was a great unfulfilled talent. I'm about to edit my post in the thread pertaining to the best players never to have won a slam, lest I should ever forget her again.

Stamp Paid
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Anna was amazing. What a beautiful game she had.
And Venus is da bomb, of course LOL.

The Dawntreader
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Could Venus make those leaps now I ask? She seemed so much more effervescent back then. Of course, we all get older and we can't stay 19, as she was, just turned, in those highlights, but Venus since the age of about 24 has seemed just a little less eager to me. Her body has aged quickly.

Anna was a great unfulfilled talent. I'm about to edit my post in the thread pertaining to the best players never to have won a slam, lest I should ever forget her again.

I dunno, i still feel Venus covers the court so well. Still yeah, i dont feel she's the leaping 18 year old she used to be, but her movement is still superb:D

MatchpointPRT
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Anna was a really good player... She was so talented with really great net skills. She was a very complete player, good forehand, good backhand, nice drop shot, good net skills, with good power,very good movement... Her serve wasn´t very good but it was ok... In my opinion she was better than many of the young players at the top now... Obviously if she had been playing all this time she would have won more than one tournament i believe, and she just didn´t win a tournament because she always tried to play the best tournaments, she always played the tournaments where the best ranked players were, because if she have played in tier III and tier IV she would have won.

ico4498
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
thanks Paneru!

franny
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Gosh Anna was so talented. I could never understood why she never won the title. She has every shot in the book.

Paneru
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM

:lol:

The shelf life for an elite athlete, especially with the extra added power
in the past decade, their is a big difference between being 18 and being
26. However, Venus is still just as quick and can make those leaps today,
just fewer and far between. Also, look at the resume of Venus at 18 &
at 26. Their is nothing left for her to prove, which means their isn't naturally
going to be nearly as much eagerness as then. So, you have to find different
things to motivate you.

Venus' body has aged, but not as
"badly/rapidly" as it seems you indicate.

Paneru
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM
thanks Paneru!

You're welcome! :yeah:

:inlove:
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
thanks soo much

This will remind everyone how well Kournikova played and she wasn't just a beautiful girl who played tennis.

I agree! Most people who haven't seen her play assume she must be bad because she never won a title and she's just a pretty face. But she was actually very talented. :worship:

That was a great match by the way. :drool:

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM

I really don't think Venus leaping has anything to do with her but with the generation of players that are playing.
The majority of these players would rather try to hit through a player on a passing shot then lob over them, so Venus doesn't show her leaping ability as much.
Also like Maria, Venus has maximized her swinging volley.
She rather let balls come down to hit a high swinging volley, and it's a smart move.
It's more easier to control a swinging volley than a smash, IMO.

Apoleb
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM
If you watched Anna in 1999, you'd think that she'd become a top player. I remember her 4th round match in RG against Steffi, and it was this match that was sort of the turnaround for Steffi since her comeback.

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I think the full match is in my video thread. I think. :unsure:

Steffica Greles
Mar 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
:lol:

The shelf life for an elite athlete, especially with the extra added power
in the past decade, their is a big difference between being 18 and being
26. However, Venus is still just as quick and can make those leaps today,
just fewer and far between. Also, look at the resume of Venus at 18 &
at 26. Their is nothing left for her to prove, which means their isn't naturally
going to be nearly as much eagerness as then. So, you have to find different
things to motivate you.

Venus' body has aged, but not as
"badly/rapidly" as it seems you indicate.

No? Oh well, we'll look at her results from Jan 2004, that's 3 years now, and I think you'll only find one impressive achievement.

But surely you must be right so there's no need.

Paneru
Mar 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
No? Oh well, we'll look at her results from Jan 2004, that's 3 years now, and I think you'll only find one impressive achievement.

But surely you must be right so there's no need.

Not surprising you can't or won't see a difference between
ability and results. Her results of the past year have nothing
to do with physical ability. It was injury and technique.

Memphis has shown that she can move just as fast and
be just as athletic as she ever was.

Yet, If you want to play your game of dissing Venus
because you think you are be funny, go right ahead.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:01 PM

I think she was more gazelle like in the past, now it seems she labors a bit more...however she's still quick as hell. :bounce:

Steffica Greles
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Not surprising you can't or won't see a difference between
ability and results. Her results of the past year have nothing
to do with physical ability. It was injury and technique.

Memphis has shown that she can move just as fast and
be just as athletic as she ever was.

Yet, If you want to play your game of dissing Venus
because you think you are be funny, go right ahead.

I have no interest in "dissing" any player. I have an interest in conveying my opinion. Maybe you have an interest, or should have, in growing up? Who knows. Anyway.

Venus, even at perhaps as low as 75% of her former self, is still a phenomenal athlete (but up to 25% is a dramatic deterioration for a 26 year-old, by any other player's standards, particularly as the player in question has been part-time now for almost 4 years). That's how I would explain Wimbledon 2005, and that's why she played well against Peer. Secondly, injury and changed technique are often related, and in Venus' case I suspect they are.

calico_101
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Nice to see Anna trying to fight it out. Even at matchpoint down she was scrambling. Still, Venus got her commupence in the next round in what should have been the final........:rolleyes:

mm1147
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:46 PM
then why she retire if she can play that good?

Berlin_Calling
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:09 AM
No young player these days can volley like Anna did back then. Such a shame she retired because she had such a complete game. She had the power but more importantly, had the touch and the court sense. Miss Anna so much :sad:

SzavayFi
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:32 AM
ah man its so sad that she retired. she had a fun game to watch, her net game was awesome. not to mention she is friggin sexy.

volta
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM
i love that match. two great youngies.

i love Anna's game, if only she was still here playing.:(

agreed

Polikarpov
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Anna was very talented! Some commentators in 1997 Wimbldedon even said that Anna has the potential of being a more complete player than Hingis.

Polikarpov
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:56 AM
then why she retire if she can play that good?

Because of injuries and the limelight.

tennisbum79
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:57 AM
No young player these days can volley like Anna did back then. Such a shame she retired because she had such a complete game. She had the power but more importantly, had the touch and the court sense. Miss Anna so much :sad:

I must say I was bery impressed by Anna's game during this match.
The touches, good decision to charge to the net, and when she did, she knew how to read Venus.

So that invites the next quesion is.
What happened to her and her game?
Why did she become so bad?

IAM#1
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:12 AM
that was some of the best all-court tennis i have seen in a long time.. Venus and Anna played equally well.. BOTH were effective at the net.. MAn... That was great!

Tennisaddict
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Wow, great match combative match by both. I heard so much about Kournikova but never saw her play. I can't understand that she's never won a title. She was playing at the same level as Venus in the first two sets and than Venus stepped up a gear in the third.

But she has good technique and attractive offensive play. I thought she was like this cute butterfly who occasionaly had good results but her game suggests she could have done big things in tennis.

vwfan
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
:lol: at Anna taking a set off Venus at Wimbledon with drop shots! too funny!

RenaSlam.
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Shows how talented Kournikova was, indeed.

Young Venus :hearts:

John.
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Great match. Anna should have achieved so much more. Such a talented player.

Court 18 though. Shame the weather was bad that year as it should have been on Centre Court on the Monday.

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM

i kind of agree!

even maria seems less effervescent with her movement now.

Apoorv
Mar 5th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I remember that I was so much waiting for that match because of three factors:
1) 2 very talented youngsters facing each other.
2) some comments made by the two in media that they are going to win the match.
3) winner had to face Steffi in QF.

But it got delayed by 2 days because of rain and was shifted from center court to court 18. good match. anna was solid in first set but venus was the stronger one in the end.

Has anyone got graf vs venus qf? i loved that match too. not because graf won but the quality of match was very good. after her match against venus, steffi said she definitely felt venus will be no. 1 one day.

gmak
Mar 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Anna :sad: so talented...

alias
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I must say I was bery impressed by Anna's game during this match.
The touches, good decision to charge to the net, and when she did, she knew how to read Venus.

So that invites the next quesion is.
What happened to her and her game?
Why did she become so bad?

IMO, she wasn't managed well or looked after by her 'team'.

She never let her body heal from her first injury and then a string of injuries followed after.

She was stubborn, her mother should of stepped aside so she could be coached by a real coach. When she did have a coach, they never seemed to gel well. She should of played some tier III and IV to build her game and cofidence.

Coupled with the injuries and the lack of a real coach her game deteriorated, like Martina she couldn't compete consistenly against the girls with bigger games.

I miss Anna.:sad: :bigcry: :hysteric: :crying2: :sobbing:

Viktymise
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
It was a fantastic match, one of the 1st i had seen of Venus, she was great that day, so was Kournikova ;), imagine this match happened this year, there would be no way in hell it would be on court 18 :lol:

Calypso
Mar 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I remember watching this match and fearing Venus would lose! Great fight back and nice match from two wonderful players. Yes, Anna was a wonderful player who could upset anyone with her hard, flat groundies!

Monica_Rules
Mar 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Great match, i do miss Anna she was such a great player and should have won loads of titles.