PDA

View Full Version : Is this Venus' Year???????

firstseed89
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Everyone is talking about Serena this year but I think we will see more from Venus.

I think Venus is well overdue for success and lets be honest the only thing that has really been holding her back was the wrist. The one time where there were no complaints of the wrist she ended up winning wimbledon. We also all know that she is more dedicated than Serena and works much harder.

I expect to see her make a good run at the french and I expect her to do well for the rest of the year.

Its just to bad that she cant really pick up many points before wimbldeon.

Diesel
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:58 AM
When did this become a Serena vs. Venus issue?

ico4498
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Everyone is talking about Serena this year but I think we will see more from Venus.

I think Venus is well overdue for success and lets be honest the only thing that has really been holding her back was the wrist. The one time where there were no complaints of the wrist she ended up winning wimbledon. We also all know that she is more dedicated than Serena and works much harder.

I expect to see her make a good run at the french and I expect her to do well for the rest of the year.

i'm all for celebrating Vee ... as long as we don't diss Babygurl!

Dementieva_Dude
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I like Venus, but I want to see more than a Tier 3 win before I make an assessment about her year. I wish her the best, though

faboozadoo15
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I think it's her year to win Memphis.

TSequoia01
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Yes this will be a great year for Venus. She is in terrific shape, and evidently been working hard on her weaknesses. A Venus without a weak forehand and a dominating second serve is every tennis player's nightmare. Miami may be her unveiling much like what happened to Serena at Miami in 2002.

Venus3000
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Actually she can pick up quite a few points, playing maimi and charleston. Those are tier I events and award alot of points. Venus didn't play either one of them last year. Also if she win that other small clay court event which she should that's another 140 points.

jellybelly
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Actually I feel this is going to be like 2003 again except Vee will pick up Henin's majors. Memphis shoudl be the beginning of a huge clay streak which will motivate SErena to reclaim her title as queen of Wimblendon and Vee and Serena will fight it out for the US harcourts.

Hurley
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Memphis shoudl be the beginning of a huge clay streak

How? :confused:

jellybelly
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:25 AM
How? :confused:

because Venus is now in form. When she's playig like this she's unstoppable by anyone not called Serena

Hurley
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:32 AM
But...Memphis is not on clay.

It can be the beginning of many things. But not a "clay streak."

starin
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:33 AM
because Venus is now in form. When she's playig like this she's unstoppable by anyone not called Serena

i just hope she keeps up the form I saw her play in the final in Memphis.

jellybelly
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:38 AM
But...Memphis is not on clay.

It can be the beginning of many things. But not a "clay streak."

but the next surface after miami is clay duhh. She can't have a hardcourt streak with just one tournament crazycrazy

Paneru
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:40 AM

Yes she can.

2 Tier 1's (Miami & Charleston)
Tier 3 (Istanbul)

No points to defend.

So, she can gain quite a bit if she stays
healthy and maintains her Memphis form
or better.

Also, only 49 QF pts. of Warsaw to defend.
Memphis covers her not defending Rome pts.
And I believe she'll have a great RG. :cool:

ico4498
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:47 AM

counting on yah not being a false prophet!

run away with 2007 Vee!

the previous comment embodies the hope of a fan and is not intended to provoke the emotive control police.

soomaal
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Yes she can.

2 Tier 1's (Miami & Charleston)
Tier 3 (Istanbul)

No points to defend.

So, she can gain quite a bit if she stays
healthy and maintains her Memphis form
or better.

Also, only 49 QF pts. of Warsaw to defend.
Memphis covers her not defending Rome pts.

Isn't Venus also playing Baush & Lomb championship? That's what you said in the tournament thread:confused:

I think Venus will have a great year, hopefully if she stays healthy. And like Richard said she will win more grand slams so watch out everyone including serena, henin, sharapova, amelie and co.

starin
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:02 AM
i really hope she keeps the high level of play she exhibited in Memphis up. If she maintains that level she is bound to do well. I'm just hoping for V/S rematch. They're tied 7-7, so would love to see how that rivalry plays out. Plus, when the y played in miam 2005, it was awesome. Nice drama.

Paneru
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:03 AM
counting on yah not being a false prophet!

:lol: ;)

I predicted 05' Wimbledon a week before the
tournament(in that prediction the week before
and not knowing the draw I said Momo would be
her finals opponent, and she nearly was but Lindsay
stopped that). :angel:

Check V's main chat thread in her forum for confirmation.

Hope it gives me a bit more credibility. :tape: :wavey:

Paneru
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Isn't Venus also playing Baush & Lomb championship? That's what you said in the tournament thread:confused:

I didn't say that.
She's playing Charleston, not Amelia Island.

!<blocparty>!
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM
There will be one Williams sister in the Wimbledon final.

soomaal
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I didn't say that.
She's playing Charleston, not Amelia Island.

Well in the 'entry list' thread for amelia island you said "venus is in".

See below

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=286901&page=2

Paneru
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Well in the 'entry list' thread for amelia island you said "venus is in".

See below

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=286901&page=2

Oh, my bad.

I posted that in the wrong forum,
meant to post that in FCC.
Sorry for the confusion.

austennis
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I see no reason why venus cant have her best year for a long time.. she is motivated, fit , healthy and already on a roll.. i think she will be a serious threat throughout the clay and grass seasons in the next few months..

Hurley
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM
but the next surface after miami is clay duhh. She can't have a hardcourt streak with just one tournament crazycrazy

Right. So whatever clay event she plays first will be "the beginning of a...clay streak."

Not Memphis.

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:41 AM
i love it when veenus and hingis play on clay against each other

... its so ...

hot.

Direwolf
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:58 PM
well...
did you guys notice!!???

that everytime Serena beats Venus, she ends up winning the title..??!!!

hopefully...
this will Vees uninjured-for-the-whole-season year!!!

John.
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I hope she stays fit and healthy through the year. Same with Serena.

It seems like forever since we seen the WS battling against each other and the rest of the tour.

winone23
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Venus will have a good year. I think many fans can feel it.

Nemo_Kool
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM
As a fan, i feel revitalised to know that bot h Venus and Serena are back on the circiut with a title each. I just hope its not an anti-climax...doubt it will tho...i feel the winds of change!!!!The Sisters will dominate again!

volta
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM
i hope it's a Williams year :banana:

frontier
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM
this is going to be a williams year whether people like it of not,venus and serena will be tough to beat this year and this is just the beginning of the second half of their careers and its going to be a fantastic ride.:D :D :D

V-MAC
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM
:) I love the optimism in this thread. That Memphis final peformance was very encouraging indeed but we'll have to see if Vee can produce consistent performances like that throughout the rest of the year. I'm sure she can injury-permitting :bounce:

vwfan
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:56 PM
:) I love the optimism in this thread. That Memphis final peformance was very encouraging indeed but we'll have to see if Vee can produce consistent performances like that throughout the rest of the year. I'm sure she can injury-permitting :bounce:Me, too. I don't even mind if she roughs it out a few rounds, as long as she wins and continues to progress and is ready to do business before she gets to the final stage of a tournament.

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Venus has always been so unpredictable to me. Though I like Serena better, I always looked at Venus as the more talented one, tenniswise. Serena just has a stronger will and desire, I think.

Nevertheless, I hope both sisters win two/three titles or more.

starin
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
As a fan, i feel revitalised to know that bot h Venus and Serena are back on the circiut with a title each. I just hope its not an anti-climax...doubt it will tho...i feel the winds of change!!!!The Sisters will dominate again!

be careful, I thought the same thing in 2005 but then we all know what happened in 2006. I just hope for a season with both sisters playign well and staying healthy at the same time.

winone23
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
be careful, I thought the same thing in 2005 but then we all know what happened in 2006. I just hope for a season with both sisters playign well and staying healthy at the same time.

:) you keep stressing 2006, every player suffers injury prone years. Now that Venus is healthy and had surgery to correct the problem. Now 2006 can become a long and forgotten year. Venus has no choice but to go up and I feel the Williams sisters are going to have a great year. :) :)

starin
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
:) you keep stressing 2006, every player suffers injury prone years. Now that Venus is healthy and had surgery to correct the problem. Now 2006 can become a long and forgotten year. Venus has no choice but to go up and I feel the Williams sisters are going to have a great year. :) :)

i am pessimistically optmistic about their future.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
It just may be a great year for Venus, it is great that she has already won a title early in the year (even though it's only a tier III) because Venus is a confidence player and winning a title will give her a boost. I really hope she does well in Miami and Charleston because that will just be the fuel she needs to get back into the elite again. Go Vee :bounce:

-VSR-
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:34 PM
:yeah:

I hope it's the Williams year and they split the Slams between them. So one more for Serena and two for Venus. :D

Thkmra
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I don't want to be to eager,and over-confident but, given her awesone form she dispalyes in Memphis..it's kinda hard not to be very optimistic, as far as her chances are concerned:bounce:

.......However that's a big if,giving the risk of re-injuring her wrist..but as long as she stays healthy,I'll keep my fingers crossed.Naturally it's a given her prospects at Wimby,or the Open are great,but idk,something tells me,she's setting up to have a succesful clay-court season,hell might finally sneak out a French..I can only imagine:hearts:

trufanjay
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM
This will be a great year for the both of them. I think Venus will do very well.

TSequoia01
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
This thread has proven to be prophetic, I think this summer season will be owned by Venus .....and she will win the US Open. In this thread I posted an improved forehand and second serve by Venus would become every player's nightmare. It appears those weaknesses are now under control......so to the rest of the WTA be affraid be very affraid. :cool:

Sam L
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM
The thing that struck me about Venus at Wimbledon was how fit she looked. If she's injury-free this will be another 2000.

firstseed89
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry, but i have to give myself a pat on the back for this thread. I have to give Venus one too.

I knew she would be able to pull it out.

Always keep the faith.

Marshmallow
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
This thread has proven to be prophetic, I think this summer season will be owned by Venus .....and she will win the US Open. In this thread I posted an improved forehand and second serve by Venus would become every player's nightmare. It appears those weaknesses are now under control......so to the rest of the WTA be affraid be very affraid. :cool:

Love the optimism, Venus can do big things but she'll have to be smart about it. I don't think playing 3 rubbers of Fed cup, then moving onto WTT, is a good start... but if she can stay free of injury and not get too tired, her confidence is back, and it could take her to big things.

But lets wait and see. :D

Paneru
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The thing that struck me about Venus at Wimbledon was how fit she looked. If she's injury-free this will be another 2000.

Interesting that you say that because
I have been thinking the same thing.

Slutiana
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Interesting that you say that because
I have been thinking the same thing.

so have i. I know its early days but i've got that feeling..i had it at AO for serena but from the time i came on these boards i've been saying that venus was gonna win wimbledon and not serena. I have the same feeling....i know its early days but i just believe:D

leoneo
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:23 PM
i hope she can win us open again.....

Direwolf
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM
one thing i notice is that..
Serena has never dominated the summer hardcourts...

Thanx4nothin
Jul 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I think Venus will win the US Open, it's like in terms of her career, shes got a second wind. :worship:

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Jul 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I think this is Venus' year. Deep down in my gut, I feel that Venus can win this year's US Open. But you never know what to expect from the women's tour. I can see a up and coming player win it as well. But my hope is that Venus wins it this year! When I saw Venus play the Fed Cup, she looked fresh and motivated. I wish her the best during the Hardcourt Series. I also hope Serena can heal quickly, so that she can have a great one too.

new-york
Jul 17th, 2007, 08:08 PM
There will be one Williams sister in the Wimbledon final.

:worship:.

:devil:.

frontier
Jul 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I have always had faith even when everybody was writing her off especially when that lawsuit went away I just felt like this was one big obstacle stifling their progress and now its gone ,its 'on'.I feel she will win the USA OPEN and by the end of the year they will be in the top five .This is going to be a fantastic summer for Venus especially .