PDA

View Full Version : Which Match Had The Harder Hitting

Viktymise
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Venus - Sprem Berlin SF 04 or Venus - Sharapova Wimbledon SF 05

They were the 2 hardest hitting matches ever i think. At Berlin 04, Sprem was probably hitting harder in the 1st set than everyone ever and in the 3rd set Venus started to catch up. At the Wimbledon SF they were just knocking the fuzz off the balls, and both were Big Babe tennis at its best :worship: I can't decide which one was harder hitting

Venus3000
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
I vote for Venus - Sharapova Wimbledon SF 05 because the quality of that match was very high unlike that Berlin match.

In other words the power game was controlled in that 05 Wimby SF. Not to mention it was a very high stakes match so the pressure made the performance that much more remarkable.

-sugi-
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Venus vs Sharapova, such great quality.

Viktymise
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Venus - Sprem had better shotmaking

Venus - Sharapova had overall better quality

In context of the question though i think it was Venus - Sprem because some of the winners from both esp Karolina were just :eek: and they kept coming

Tennisaddict
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
The Berlin match seemed to have the hardest hitting. Sprem was (as usual) belting the ball with a ferocity I have not seen much on the women´s tour. Venus lost the first set before she knew it and I was like :eek:. Who is this girl and why have I never seen her before on the big stage?

But the match at Wimby had indeed more quality but the question is which match had the hardest hitting and I have to go with the one in Berlin.

Venus3000
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Well in context of your question I guess you can say the ball may have been struck harder in Berlin but many of those balls landed in the stands. :lol:

Me personally I like to see the ball land inside the lines on a consistent basis.

Two great winners followed by two ugly UFEs doesn't do it for me.

But the Venus - Maria Wimby SF was great tennis.

Venus - Sprem had better shotmaking

Venus - Sharapova had overall better quality

In context of the question though i think it was Venus - Sprem because some of the winners from both esp Karolina were just :eek: and they kept coming

Adal
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Sharapova - Williams... 1st set especially.

venus_rulez
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
It's harder to play big babe tennis on clay, no?

KYLIE
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
It's harder to play big babe tennis on clay, no?

Ummm YEAH, thats what I WAS THINKING!:wavey: :rolleyes: :o :o

Hello, this is one of the stupidest threads, Clay is the slowest of all surfaces, and Grass is the fastest, obviously its a no brainer, whoever thinks tennis is either "harder hitting", "more powerfull" or "faster" on a clay court is on pills!, the ball bounces higher it slows down on impact and theres more time to react on Clay...sprem was hitting hard im sure, but knowhere near what she could do on grass....as with all players NATURALLY. duh!:kiss: :wavey: :lol:

So of course the Maria match on GRASS was MORE POWERFULL....my goodness....its like comparing nascar and bumper cars!:tape: :lol: :help:

Viktymise
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Ummm YEAH, thats what I WAS THINKING!:wavey: :rolleyes: :o :o

Hello, this is one of the stupidest threads, Clay is the slowest of all surfaces, and Grass is the fastest, obviously its a no brainer, whoever thinks tennis is either "harder hitting", "more powerfull" or "faster" on a clay court is on pills!, the ball bounces higher it slows down on impact and theres more time to react on Clay...sprem was hitting hard im sure, but knowhere near what she could do on grass....as with all players NATURALLY. duh!:kiss: :wavey: :lol:

So of course the Maria match on GRASS was MORE POWERFULL....my goodness....its like comparing nascar and bumper cars!:tape: :lol: :help:

Did you even see the Berlin match :weirdo: obviously you havent because even the commentators were saying they were making it look like a hardcourt and Wimbledon courts in the second week play like hard courts :o

frontier
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
wimbledon semi-final 2005 was the best so far.It was good to watch Maria pushed from side to side like a rag doll,Venus was unstoppable.It was thrilling to see Maria dejected and crying after the match specially after she had been hyped into oblivion.I was happy to see Venus so happy because nobody gave her a chance.
wimbledon semi-final was the grand-daddy of all matches and rates amongst the best ever.

UDACHi
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
people are being totally dumb and i doubt that people who are going straight to the slam semi have even seen the berlin match, because it seemed to have much harder hitting. :shrug:

the sharapova/venus might have been a better quality one, but nobody could have stopped karolina in the first set of the berlin match. she didn't even let one of the fastest players on tour get into the match on the slowest surface there is. it was amazing.

Viktymise
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
people are being totally dumb and i doubt that people who are going straight to the slam semi have even seen the berlin match, because it seemed to have much harder hitting. :shrug:

the sharapova/venus might have been a better quality one, but nobody could have stopped karolina in the first set of the berlin match. she didn't even let one of the fastest players on tour get into the match on the slowest surface there is. it was amazing.

Exactly, in the 1st set of Berlin, Karolina was hitting some of the most amazing winners ever and the fact that it was clay makes it all the more impressive, and in the 3rd set they were both going toe to toe. Wimbledon SF was similar but Sharapova doesn't hit the ball as hard as Sprem :shrug:

Viktymise
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Well in context of your question I guess you can say the ball may have been struck harder in Berlin but many of those balls landed in the stands. :lol:

Me personally I like to see the ball land inside the lines on a consistent basis.

Two great winners followed by two ugly UFEs doesn't do it for me.

But the Venus - Maria Wimby SF was great tennis.

If you had seen the 1st set and how Sprem was playing, her balls where nowhere near the stands, this match was actually brilliant quality for the pace at which they were hitting it on a clay court

Jogi
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
I only saw the match of venus and maria...
but anyway, who cares? :shrug:

and it's not all about the power, Sprem could hit her brain out of her head, she's still #110 in the world, anything she must have done wrong :)

:inlove:
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Harder hitting = Venus/Sprem
Better quality x73781 = Venus/Sharapova

Neither hold a candle in terms of hard-hitting to Jennifer-Monica US Open 91 semi-final. :worship:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
I mean, I don't think anyone hits harder than Karolina Sprem other than Rezai....so the Berlin match had the harder hitting. Maria vs. Venus was just so much more pleasing to watch because it was consistent hard hitting...not go for broke get out of jail hitting.

KYLIE
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Did you even see the Berlin match :weirdo: obviously you havent because even the commentators were saying they were making it look like a hardcourt and Wimbledon courts in the second week play like hard courts :o

doesnt change the fact that the ball travels at a higher pace and flows through the court faster on grass, regardless of what "you think":o

Im sure "your the expert" right? WRONG. I didnt see the match, and im sure sprem was hitting hard, thats the only thing she knows how to do anyways, shes useless in every OTHER department, shes 110 in the world after all....regardless i stand by my claim. Why? because im right. Ive played on both, hitting just as hard on both, and no way is Clay faster or more hard hitting than Grass, you cant hit hard enough to make your shots that powerfull unless your Gonzalez or federer.:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

:inlove:
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
I didnt see the match

OK...

Viktymise
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:37 PM
doesnt change the fact that the ball travels at a higher pace and flows through the court faster on grass, regardless of what "you think":o

Im sure "your the expert" right? WRONG. I didnt see the match, and im sure sprem was hitting hard, thats the only thing she knows how to do anyways, shes useless in every OTHER department, shes 110 in the world after all....regardless i stand by my claim. Why? because im right. Ive played on both, hitting just as hard on both, and no way is Clay faster or more hard hitting than Grass, you cant hit hard enough to make your shots that powerfull unless your Gonzalez or federer.:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Im sorry you didn't see Sprem - Venus, you can't comment on it :o

starin
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
the hard hitting question is a little wierd. But best quality of the two matches? I would lean a little more toward Sprem/Venus. Sprem was playing unbelievably well. And both Venus and Sprem were extremely intense and going for all their shots and making them most of the time.

Havok
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Harder hitting = Venus/Sprem
Better quality x73781 = Venus/Sharapova

Neither hold a candle in terms of hard-hitting to Jennifer-Monica US Open 91 semi-final. :worship:
Agreed. Though Seles vs. Serena Canada 2001 comes pretty damn close!

Mina Vagante
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
venus vs sprem, the power was scary :(

SUPER
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
I haven't seen the berlin match, but for me the hardest hitting i've ever seen, and with huge quality, has to be Venus-Davenport Stanford final. The third set was just... wow..

Highlandman
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Venus - Sharapova was great, but IMO was more power in Venus-Sprem ;)

davidmario
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:57 PM
I remember my father watching the Berlin match with me. And he hadn't watched women's tennis since Steffi retired and he was like: ":eek: WOOOW they are playing faster like the men do!!!"

venus_rulez
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:03 AM
My comment earlier about, "It's harder to play big babe tennis on clay" was meant to mean that because of the way the ball travels through the court on clay, it's much more difficult to play as hard and as big as Venus and Sprem were doing. I love the wimbledon match because it was a tremendous match with a resurgent Venus taking Maria out on the biggest stage in tennis. But again, grass lends itself to much faster and harder play. To see how hard Sprem and Venus were going at it on a clay court was just unblievable.

Ben.
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I've seen both matches & both players in those matches were knocking the stuffing out that ball that you couldn't even imagined :eek: From my view I would have to pick the Venus-Sprem 2004 Berlin SF match because not only were they knocking the stuffing out of the ball, but because they were placing it deep within the court that was even more amazing, plus it was on clay.

Venus3000
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:21 AM
That was huge quality to you? I saw that match. Venus had almost 80 UFEs, Lindsay had about 50 UFEs. I remember Davenport talking about how close it was but it wasn't great tennis. I agree with Lindsay. When neither player can keep the ball in between the lines I don't consider that high quality.

I haven't seen the berlin match, but for me the hardest hitting i've ever seen, and with huge quality, has to be Venus-Davenport Stanford final. The third set was just... wow..

tennismaster8820
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Venus - Sprem was a better quality match and with harder hitting!
But you can't expect that this match will win this poll, so many posters have never seen that match and the other one was a GS SF! :shrug:

Venus3000
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
As far as the Venus-Sprem match if I remember correctly Venus came out and lost the 1st 4 games because she couldn't keep the ball in the court or hit it over the net. If I can find it online I'm going to rewatch this one for sure.

Now Venus-Lindsay at wimbledon final 2005 was great quality. I think Venus hit almost 50 winners with less than 20 UFEs in that match. Lindsay didn't fare to bad herself either.

tennismaster8820
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:37 AM
As far as the Venus-Sprem match if I remember correctly Venus came out and lost the 1st 4 games because she couldn't keep the ball in the court or hit it over the net. If I can find it online I'm going to rewatch this one for sure.

Now Venus-Lindsay at wimbledon final 2005 was great quality. I think Venus hit almost 50 winners with less than 20 UFEs in that match. Lindsay didn't fare to bad herself either.

You are completely wrong, Sprem was hitting winner after winner, and Venus couldn't do much to stop it!
After the match Venus said that in her career she has played against lot of great players and that Sprem played unbeliavable tennis!
Venus had to fight so hard to get into winning position and she was back then in great form, just came to Berlin after winning two tournaments before it!

Venus3000
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I know what Venus said but at that time Venus wasn't confident with her shots that's why she was hitting alot of balls down the middle of the court and Karolina was hitting some very easy winners. Venus wasn't confident enough to go for the lines. Venus also said after that match she wasn't doing what she was suppose to do which was obvious. In fact in many way Venus played like Hingis in that match. She was way too defensive because she wasn't confident with her shots. She was just sending the ball right back into Sprem strike zone.

The same thing happened at Wimby. Then Sprem got crushed by a Lindsay who was striking the ball fairly well.

You are completely wrong, Sprem was hitting winner after winner, and Venus couldn't do much to stop it!
After the match Venus said that in her career she has played against lot of great players and that Sprem played unbeliavable tennis!
Venus had to fight so hard to get into winning position and she was back then in great form, just came to Berlin after winning two tournaments before it!

tennismaster8820
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I know what Venus said but at that time Venus wasn't confident with her shots that's why she was hitting alot of balls down the middle of the court and Karolina was hitting some very easy winners. Venus wasn't confident enough to go for the lines. Venus also said after that match she wasn't doing what she was suppose to do which was obvious. In fact in many way Venus played like Hingis in that match. She was way too defensive because she wasn't confident with her shots. She was just sending the ball right back into Sprem strike zone.

The same thing happened at Wimby. Then Sprem got crushed by a Lindsay who was striking the ball fairly well.

Venus had a lot of confidance back then and she would never win that match if it wasn't so!
The points she had to play to win at the end were fantastic and she was going for her shots!
I guess you're just confused because you can't understand why would she had any problems with a player like Sprem! :shrug:
Sprem was out of this world in that match and if I haven't seen it I wouldn't believe that Sprem is capable of playing like that!:o
That Wimbledon match can not be compared to Berlin match!
In Wimbledon Venus had no confidance, not in Berlin!:wavey:

Berlin_Calling
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
i think that second set of Venus vs. Mary at Wimbledon 2005 was bigger babe tennis than these two...

Derek.
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:02 AM

:spit:

Venus3000
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM
That was a great set, especially the tie break. Richard Williams said that was like star wars.

i think that second set of Venus vs. Mary at Wimbledon 2005 was bigger babe tennis than these two...

Derek.
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Berlin: V. Williams vs. Sprem. :drool:

tennismaster8820
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxrL0doOsGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLQ0XGn1aBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R16GI_G-F_I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUoM9nTSsxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JjsLJEPNrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbZb1MuBRR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wSyr640LD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbwzW_lRayM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agpbaUba8OQ

As you can see Venus was going for her shots every time she had an opportunity!
All these clips are from third set, Sprem played an unbeliavable first set with amazing winners!

brickhousesupporter
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Agreed. Though Seles vs. Serena Canada 2001 comes pretty damn close!

Thank God someone mentioned this match...It was one of the best matches I have seen. To bad it was not televised in the US, so many don't know how good this match was.

Lulu.
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Berlin SF.

I wanted Karolina to win so bad

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:28 AM
:shrug: to anyone who feels like Venus-Sprem Berlin wasnt a high quality match. You obviously havent seen the match. It was an EXCELLENT match. Not just good, it was GREAT. The winners Sprem was producing throughout were mindboggling, and the way Venus was able to counter that was pretty awesome. Winners and fun rallies GALORE. Venus-Sharapova Wimbly was an amazing match (might technically have been the "better" match), but to say it was "73781" times better quality is just silly, especially if youve actually seen the Berlin match.

It's a pointless poll to begin with, but the answer is Berlin. It's tough to beat the drama of a Wimbledon semifinal though.

-----------

Seles-Serena Canada 01 :worship: