PDA

View Full Version : Most embrassing Grand Slam final?

disco_rage
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mDfFbNEcpg

suffer well
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
I didn't look....who is it - Zvereva?

ToeTag
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Oh, gawd, I remember that. All 10 minutes of it. Cringe.

LondonSteve
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
Poor Natasha it destroyed her confidence in singles. But she was one of the most brilliant doubles players ever and she amassed a fortune from that alone!

She was also a great character on the Tour. I loved it when she played doubles with kournikova at Wimbleon and she gave the Williams sisters the finger as they left the court - she was fined for it, but it was hilarious!

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Poor Natasha it destroyed her confidence in singles. But she was one of the most brilliant doubles players ever and she amassed a fortune from that alone!

She was also a great character on the Tour. I loved it when she played doubles with kournikova at Wimbleon and she gave the Williams sisters the finger as they left the court - she was fined for it, but it was hilarious!

Why?

Monica_Rules
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Natacha:sad:

KYLIE
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
why? she was a jealous old bat! thats why!

Adal
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Well at least Zvereva won some points also :)

Europe rocks
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Natasha :sad: Great doubles player though

tennislover
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
whenever I see that devilish German girl I feel sick, why? :help:

LoveFifteen
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
whenever I see that devilish German girl I feel sick, why? :help:

Probably cuz she pulverized the wrinkled ass of the hideous troll in your avatar many, many times.

TaxPower
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
That match made me love tennis. Well, Steffi not Natasha ;)

hu2891601
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
why was the final score for that match? 6-0 6-0?

LoveFifteen
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
why was the final score for that match? 6-0 6-0?

Yes. :worship:

:inlove:
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Yep. :tape: :drool:

HTE
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Natasha :sad:

LondonSteve
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Why?

I thought it was hilarious cause she cut through all the fake politeness crap on the Tour. She felt like giving the finger and she did! And Anna was giggling. It was just so real.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Quite embarassing indeed, but is it me of was Steffi's technique atrocious? Very effective, no doubt about that, and she didn't need much more, but I find it so hard to watch and enjoy her.

LoveFifteen
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:59 PM
Quite embarassing indeed, but is it me of was Steffi's technique atrocious? Very effective, no doubt about that, and she didn't need much more, but I find it so hard to watch and enjoy her.

Her serve and backhand were definitely ugly, but her game was so lethal.

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
I thought it was hilarious cause she cut through all the fake politeness crap on the Tour. She felt like giving the finger and she did! And Anna was giggling. It was just so real.

No, I meant why did she give them the finger?

spiceboy
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Ugly backhand? :tape:

That backhand was God's backhand :worship: :hearts:

Sefo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM

It's hard to watch because of the poor video quality.
I can't really see the ball, but I see the awesome skating there.

disco_rage
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM

That is the MOST ridiculous thing i have ever read on here!

Mina Vagante
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
:lol:

disremembrance
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
Haha.. just for the OUTFITS! lol

keirana332
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM
personally for me the most embarassing final was hingis vs steffi when martina threw that temper tantrum....glad to see shes matured since then lol

Corswandt
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Probably cuz she pulverized the wrinkled ass of the hideous troll in your avatar many, many times.

Ka-boom.

Chrissie-fan
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:54 AM
If Zvereva had known what would happen in the final she would probably have preferred to lose in the semis. Having said that, this match has become sort of legendary, albeit for all the wrong reasons where Zvereva is concerned. But there are more people that remember her being the runner-up of the 1988 French Open than there are that remember other finalists that gave a better account of themselves. So the moral of the story is that if you're gonna lose in the final of a slam, it's better to lose by 6-0/6-0 than 6-3/6-3 or something like that.:drink:

faboozadoo15
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:01 AM

Nav led their head to head even as an old woman...
So shut the fuck up.

The Kaz
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:39 AM
So shut the fuck up.

I think he qwas referring to Hingis...dickhead :weirdo:

MistyGrey
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Aww Poor Natasha! :hug:
Love that match from Steffi! :hearts:

LondonSteve
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM
No, I meant why did she give them the finger?

It was at the time the Williams were winning everything and were the Queens of Wimbledon. The British press were in a frenzy over them. Zvereva had won loadds of doubles Grand Slams with the likes of Navratilova etc. She thought that she was the doubles Queen. Along came the Williams and took her doubles crown. The Williams beat Zvereva and Anna in the Wimbledon semis (I think it was the semis). The crowd went a bit wild. Venus and Serena had had words with Anna and the umpire - Serena and Anna told each other to shut up at one changeover. It was quite tongue in cheek, but at the net at the end you could see Venus and Serena were acting a bit superior. So, as the four of them left the court, with V and S in front, Natash gave them the finger and turned to Anna and the pair started giggling. It was quite funny, and afterwards Venus and Serena weren't offended, they thought it was funny. But this being stuffy old Wimbledon, Natasha was fined. Not that she cared, she's worth millions!

There you go, it wasn't really anti- Williams, it was just very, very funny. Anna couldn't stop giggling!

suffer well
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I enjoyed Natasha's/Natalia's partnership with Gigi Fernandez…fond memories of both Ladies dancing on the waterlogged court at Flinders….:)

Ohh....and when she was in the semi finals at Eastbourne on Friday...but still partied-hard in hotpants that Thursday evening....:)

suffer well
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
And when she took her top off at a change over....great character she was on tour....

Paul.
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM

no he wasn't... :o

why would he call hingis wrinkly and old - and its nav in his avatar :confused:

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Poor Natasha :sad:

jazar
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM
twas pitiful

LoveFifteen
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM

I was referring to Navratilova.

LoveFifteen
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
So shut the fuck up.

Their head-to-head is tied at 9-9.

sweetpeas
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Worst TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! .....Ameile was on her way to her first "slam win.Justin retire.Just took everything away from Amelie ,well deserved win!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be "wrong, but i don"t think that ever happen before?

CuteLatinGirl
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Worst TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! .....Ameile was on her way to her first "slam win.Justin retire.Just took everything away from Amelie ,well deserved win!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be "wrong, but i don"t think that ever happen before?

No, as per I know only Henin did it.

And about that final in Roland Garros, it was hard because that period
was the most amazing of Graf’s game.
It was probably the major demonstration of the big lack in the WTA, the
difference between a good player and one of the top 5.

saki
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Poor Natasha. She was such a great player, just didn't have the determination in singles after that final.

I think the '05 RG final was almost as bad, though, Mary just couldn't seem to keep the ball in the court. Justine played well too but Mary really did just freeze up under the pressure.

LondonSteve
Mar 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Poor Natasha. She was such a great player, just didn't have the determination in singles after that final.

I think the '05 RG final was almost as bad, though, Mary just couldn't seem to keep the ball in the court. Justine played well too but Mary really did just freeze up under the pressure.

I thought mary's 'freeze' was hilarious! So much for all that praying in her private prayer room just before the match. The look on Justine's face when mary emerged from the prayer room was priceless!

LDVTennis
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:17 PM
So shut the fuck up.

For two reasons: In her final years, Martina N. never dared to play Steffi on clay or even grass. After 1989, Martina faced Steffi only 4 times.

As it is, their head to head ended up being 9-9. At Wimbledon grass, arguably Martina N.'s best surface, Steffi leads the head to head 2-1.

LeRoy.
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
For two reasons: In her final years, Martina N. never dared to play Steffi on clay or even grass. After 1989, Martina faced Steffi only 4 times.

As it is, their head to head ended up being 9-9. At Wimbledon grass, arguably Martina N.'s best surface, Steffi leads the head to head 2-1.

2-1 -One whole match WOW :eek: :speakles:

:rolleyes:

iPatty
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Why?

because she was a crazy old russian. :lol:

mm1147
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:00 PM
ofcourse no one can beat steffi at that time:tape: