PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova needs a SF in IW to keep #1 ranking!!!

felipe2004
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
With Justine's titles in Dubai and Doha, she will have 3791 points in next weeks ranking, and Sharapova 3824. That's 33 points of difference. Sharapova is defending the title in Indian Wells (325) and Justine a semifinal (146). So taking out Indian Wells, we'll have:
1. Justine Henin 3791 - 146 = 3645
2. Maria Sharapova 3824 - 325 = 3499

That's a 146 points difference. Therefore, Sharapova will need a SF in IW (210 points) to keep her #1 position. Otherwise, Justine will get it. :D :wavey:

Mephisto
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately I think Sharapova will keep it. If she's fit I don't see who should beat her before the semis. It's such a weak field :rolleyes:

Dexter
I hope Maria draws Camille Pin in the 2nd round, and Camille finishes unfinished job! :devil:

jk. ;)

Poova
She'll keep it unless she gets injured. :D

spartanfan
I really don't see anyone stopping MS from repeating her title there. All the players that could stop her aren't playing next week.

treufreund
maybe justine can get it at miami since she has very few points to defend there whereas maria was a finalist

treufreund
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
yes maria should win IW

trufanjay
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
If she is still serving like crap then she just may not make it. But if she plays well then she should win the whole thing.

DragonFlame
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
justine will get it soon:angel: clayseason coming up! she has no points to defend in miami and clay warmups where she can gain a lot of points untill RG:bounce: :)

The Daviator
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Justine will surely get it in Miami, with no points to defend and Sharpie defending a final...

Demska
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
With Sharapova not playing for a month, I don't know how she will come back.

If she's playing like late 06', she should win because of the weak field, but she could get a tough first few rounds and drop out early.

vejh
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
IW is for Pova :)

driger
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
maria is still a reluctant #1. maria needs to get her game back, and make being #1 her mission. she seems to be content being top 5 and winning a slam here and there. justine seems to wear #1 a little better.

driger
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Justine will surely get it in Miami, with no points to defend and Sharpie defending a final...

and maria has very few points to defend inthe clay court season.

DragonFlame
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
and maria has very few points to defend inthe clay court season.

yeah but justine can definetly improve that semi in charleston and final in berlin:)

Shimizu Amon
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
No doubt in my mind, Masha will stay number 1 after IW.
If she's injury free she owns that title (if nothing out of the ordinary happens).

lecciones
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I hope her injury is gone, she needs to start playing tournaments again.

Emina.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
vamos Masha!!!! :D :bounce:

`

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Maria should easily defend points from last year, there are no players who can be a potential threat but you never know what will these young players like Ivanovic, Peer or even Hantuchova show. It all also depends on how well Maria is prepared for this tournament. Anyway, I can't see her losing before the semis.

Emina.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
yeah but justine can definetly improve that semi in charleston and final in berlin:)

yeah but Maria can definetly improve that final in Miami too :)

`

Kim's_fan_4ever
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
maria no few points to defend in the clay court season.

she is only clay court season defend in the Roland Garros 16R point

Are you really from USA? Or are you just pretending? :shrug:

Rosslyn
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Who cares about stupid ranking. Justine is the better player :wavey:

s_j
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
IW: Maria playing, Justine not playing: Maria - winner, Justine - semi-finalist

Miami: Maria playing, Justine playing: Maria - finalist, Justine - 2nd round

Charleston: Maria playing, Justine playing: Maria has nothing to defend, Justine - semi-finalist

Berlin: Maria not playing, Justine playing: Maria has nothing to defend, Justine - finalist

Rome: Maria playing, Justine not playing: Maria has nothing to defend, Justine has nothing to defend

Roland Garros: Maria playing, Justine playing: Maria - 4th round, Justine - winner

I will not be surprised if Justine snatches the #1 ranking for a week or two after Miami but I reckon Maria will get it back before RG and up until (and past) Wimbledon.

AlwaysAmelie
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
With Justine's titles in Dubai and Doha, she will have 3791 points in next weeks ranking, and Sharapova 3824. That's 33 points of difference.

I think Justine will have 3816 points in next week ranking just 8 points difference.

Dexter
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
I will not be surprised if Justine snatches the #1 ranking for a week or two after Miami but I reckon Maria will get it back before RG and up until (and past) Wimbledon.In other words, are you trying to say that Maria will get more pts during the claycourt season than Justine? :spit:

s_j
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:31 PM
In other words, are you trying to say that Maria will get more pts during the claycourt season than Justine? :spit:

Maria has NOTHING to defend in the clay court season bar the 4th round at RG. Justine has to defend a semi-final or better in every clay court tournament she participated in. I'm not saying Maria will do better, but Maria will definitely gain more points - no doubt.

Dexter
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Maria has NOTHING to defend in the clay court season bar the 4th round at RG. Justine has to defend a semi-final or better in every clay court tournament she participated in. I'm not saying Maria will do better, but Maria will definitely gain more points - no doubt.Last year Justine played only 2 tournaments and has 345pts to defend... I wouldn't say it's that many... especially considering new pts system. I think Justine will play 1 more event on clay this year and will be topseed @ RG this year. Maria is not the best claycourt player... I don't expect her to be gaining that many pts...

Vlover
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE]maria is still a reluctant #1.

Only a Mashabator could come up with such shit.:scratch: :silly:

harloo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
IW is such a bust Maria should win it without dropping a set.:)

lecciones
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Who cares about stupid ranking. Justine is the better player :wavey:

:wavey: people dont really care about rankings these days... guess they should abolish it. :P lets see where WTA goes :) Any way, the better player will always come out on top. The rankings are there for that.

Serge007
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Last year Justine played only 2 tournaments and has 345pts to defend...
But she played 3 clay-tournaments and has 1000+pts to defend. Maria has 96 pts to defend.

Dexter
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
But she played 3 clay-tournaments and has 1000+pts to defend. Maria has 96 pts to defend.Ok then, Justine played 2 clay tournaments except RG. Fine now?

Serge007
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Ok then, Justine played 2 clay tournaments except RG. Fine now?
Ok. Sharapova played just 0.

btw. Justine has more pts to defend for grass.

driger
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
and marias only playing 2 tournaments on the slow red clay, plus the family circle on the faster green clay, should benefit her.

Drake1980
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Just for the record I care about the rankings and I know I'm not the only one!

driger
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
rankings do matter, and being #1 is what tennis about. the slams are played too earn points to become #1. they matter to the great ones anyway, graf, evert, martina, and henin.

starin
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
wow...henin caught up pretty quickly.

MistyGrey
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Justine will get back to number. Its only a matter of time. I think after Miami or Family Circle Cup, she'll be number one. However I wont be surprised if Maria regains it after the French.

jacobruiz
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
wow...henin caught up pretty quickly.

Maria has been injured, in case you haven't noticed.

Mephisto
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Maria has been injured, in case you haven't noticed.

and Maria got to Nr. 1 because Justine didn't play in Australia so everthing is in balance ...

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
is lindsay playing IW?;)

CORIA01
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Think that she will still be N°1

Emina.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
and Maria got to Nr. 1 because Justine didn't play in Australia so everthing is in balance ...

true ;)

Slampova
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM

And Im sure Maria will improve her ranking with no points to defend in Rome and only a 4R showing at RG! ;)

jacobruiz
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM

So if everything is in balance that means that if Justine gets to number 1 she will get all the flak that Maria did from this board when she became 1?;)

I hope not - whoever gets the number 1 ranking deserves it; #1 can't help it if other players don't play for whatever reason.

Hashim.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
I hope Maria draws Camille Pin in the 2nd round, and Camille finishes unfinished job! :devil:

jk. ;)

:yeah:

Mina Vagante
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
she will get to the SF, the draw is kinda rubbish

franny
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
At this point I don't even care about the number 1 ranking, and I don't think Maria does either. I just want to see her come back and try to rebuild what she lost. She was on such a roll last year, and then again the injuries are coming back. She's always been an awkward mover and hitter(especially on the forehand), so she is kinda injury prone. So I just hope she can be healthy, be happy, and play well.

austennis
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
I think Justine will have a battle on her hand to mainitan number 1 this year she got lots of points to defend from 3 remaining GS and shes got a lot of good runs in tournies SF, RU 2 defend.. but i think she can do it

GracefulVenus
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
I think Maria can do it............go girl!!!

SelesFan70
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
IW can be very windy...not very nice to players who are struggling on serve. :)

new-york
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
IW is such a bust Maria should win it without dropping a set.:)

if her serve is not better than it's been so far, i'm sure she will at least be generously be giving some sets.

but yeah, Maria is consistent, clay isn't her best surface, obviously, but i don't expect her to lose early in any surface so i'm sure playing some events will get her some points.
+ Justine has a slam win, Eastbourne & the Wim final to defend so Maria could definitely make her run @ the top rank longer.

lindsayno1
Mar 4th, 2007, 09:08 AM
imo justine deserves the no1 ranking...

felipe2004
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
The odds are that Sharapova will retain the number 1, but we'll have to see the draw and if she has completly healed from her injury.

Bijoux0021
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I believe Sharapova plays a lot better when she's ranked between #3 and #5 or even lower. It seems like she's not comfortable with the pressure that comes with being ranked #1. To the extent that she has been hyped, it's understandable. So I don't think she would mind losing the #1 ranking to Justine. It's a lot of pressure to live up to, trying to prove that she's the best and worthy of #1. And the way she was humiliated by Serena at the AO final, that's not going to be easy for her.

Emina.
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Maria plays a lot better when shes #2 or #3 thats true :)

-

bellascarlett
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I believe Sharapova plays a lot better when she's ranked between #3 and #5 or even lower. It seems like she's not comfortable with the pressure that comes with being ranked #1.

Even lower? Maria's been ranked inside the top 5 for two solid years now. Actually, the past two years, it's mostly been 4 or higher. She was only ranked 5 for 1 tournament (IW) the last two years.

She's been injured the past two times she's gotten the number 1 ranking. That's the problem. Been quite unlucky with the timing of her injuries.

Mightymirza
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
who cares..Sharpy aint losign before SFs anyways...

John.
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I think Maria will win IW and keep her ranking :)

Bijoux0021
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Even lower? Maria's been ranked inside the top 5 for two solid years now. Actually, the past two years, it's mostly been 4 or higher. She was only ranked 5 for 1 tournament (IW) the last two years.

She's been injured the past two times she's gotten the number 1 ranking. That's the problem. Been quite unlucky with the timing of her injuries.
What does that tell you? How convenient for her to be "injured" the past two times she has gotten the #1 ranking. That could be a great tactic on her part in order to take pressures off of her shoulders. We all know she and her camp are very good in using gamesmanships.

.david.
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM

What does that tell you? How convenient for her to be "injured" the past two times she has gotten the #1 ranking. That could be a great tactic on her part in order to take pressures off of her shoulders. We all know she and her camp are very good in using gamesmanships.

:rolleyes: :tape: :help:

jazar
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
that'll be no problem

Corswandt
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM
It's such a weak field :rolleyes:

It has 7 players out of the current top 10, 9 players out of the current top 12, and 15 players out of the current top 20. How is that a weak field?

Andrew Laeddis
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
justine will get it soon:angel: clayseason coming up! she has no points to defend in miami and clay warmups where she can gain a lot of points untill RG:bounce: :)

justine has points to defend at charleston and berlin. maria played no clay tourney but rg last year so maria will gain points from charleston and rome this year. if justine does get the no.1 ranking after miami maria should get it back after the clay season because she only has a 4th round at the french open to defend while justine has a tier 1 semi and final as well as the french open crown to defend.

driger
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I believe Sharapova plays a lot better when she's ranked between #3 and #5 or even lower. It seems like she's not comfortable with the pressure that comes with being ranked #1. To the extent that she has been hyped, it's understandable. So I don't think she would mind losing the #1 ranking to Justine. It's a lot of pressure to live up to, trying to prove that she's the best and worthy of #1. And the way she was humiliated by Serena at the AO final, that's not going to be easy for her.

agreed, maria showed that against justine at the yearend championships. maria was playing by far the best tennis, yet played one of her worst matches of the year when #1 was on the line against justine.

but she'll grow into it.