PDA

View Full Version : Can/should Hingis become a power player?

hectopascal
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
I was just wondering why Martina gets overpowered all the time...... She's not weak or anything and her build is like Ivanovic (who is considered to be a power player). Sharapova doesn't even look all that muscular, yet she can hit really hard. Do you guys think Martina could become a power hitter if she changes her technique?:confused: I mean she's gotta add something more to her game in order to win another grand slam. Don't get me wrong: I know she's achieved so much in her career already, but it just saddens me to keep seeing her losing to players who overpower her when she looks just as strong as they are.

thomas.chung
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
simple answer is no, she will get injured.

dawid
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
should, but can't

brickhousesupporter
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
No,
1. her strokes were not designed for that.
2. her game is to make fewer errors than her opponent while moving the ball around. If she starts going for more she will lose this and probably get beaten more often.

^bibi^
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
should, but can't

Could, but shan't

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
...build is like Ivanovic (who is considered to be a power player). Sharapova doesn't even look all that muscular, yet she can hit really hard.

Ivanovic is at least 6.0'. Hingy is 5'7''.

Ivanovic has the contemporary power player's build. Hingis is definitely smaller.

I feel for you trying to figure out what Marti's game needs. Unfortunately, this was the same subject that people were talking about seven years ago. At first conventional wisdom was that she couldn't do it,ie, change her game, make it stronger, add more pop to her serve, develop a weapon, etc, etc. Then along came Justine Henin. She struggled at first but than managed to adjust if not change her game and developed a stronger serve, made her backhand even more of a weapon than it already was, got her forehand fiercer. After that, people began to think that it was possible for Hingy to do it, but nobody could figure out WHY she WOULDN'T.

Okay, sorry for the history, but I thought you should have a little more context for your question.

Maybe you should now be asking "What weapons can Martina add to her game?"

She will never be a "power player."

Personally, I think she could start by developing a more ferocious return of serve. This could help offset her own service weakness. She needs to be more aggressive on the return. That would be a good start, that could be implemented with very little technical change. It's more of a mental adjustment.

Martian Jeza
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
:help: : When you have the best brains of the tour, you don't need that much power. A better physical shape maybe but she needs to work on a better mental : not giving up so easily matches where she is in troubles or get herself in troubles.

Shimizu Amon
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
no and no!

CooCooCachoo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
She can't and she really should not even try.

PLP
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
I feel that she is adding more power to her game overall but she will never be a 'power' player, and she shouldn't and won't become one.

CORIA01
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
NO She is so gifted that she could win matches without that!. She just have to focuse more on important points and be mentally fresh!!!!

hingis-seles
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
No way should she even try and be a power player. Hingis tried going toe-to-toe with some of the biggest ball bashers in the game at various points in her career and each and every time, it turned out to be a disaster. She would not be nearly as effective if she was a power player.

vutt
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
:help: : When you have the best brains of the tour, you don't need that much power....

LOL! I'm afraid in that sense vs. power player only ability she has is ability to recognize unretrievable winner from her opponent fraction of second earlier than spectators. That's it. :o

Steffica Greles
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
No Hingis cannot become a power player.

She is a percentage player primarily, and thus aiming for the lines or hitting thunderbolts is not in her nature. Some car drivers love to speed, others don't feel safe.

Secondly, despite her size being equal to Henin's, or many other women who hit the ball with far more thrust and velocity, Hingis is not a great athlete with rapid arm movement and sufficient strength to lean on one leg, or rotate her entire upper body into a stroke.

I'm surprised that after 9 years people are still discussing this.

Chrissie-fan
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
No, ALWAYS play to your own strenghts, no matter what. She should keep on playing in the way that comes naturally to her and try to develop that game to the max. Trying to morph her into a power player would be like teaching a great welterweight how to knock out a great heavyweight. It can't be done, and chances are that in the process she would lose those things that make her such a great player now.

Sefo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
She will become a power player when she's finished smiling on court.
It's all about mental here.
But I don't think she wants that, she's happy to be in top 6.

hectopascal
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
No Hingis cannot become a power player.

She is a percentage player primarily, and thus aiming for the lines or hitting thunderbolts is not in her nature. Some car drivers love to speed, others don't feel safe.

Secondly, despite her size being equal to Henin's, or many other women who hit the ball with far more thrust and velocity, Hingis is not a great athlete with rapid arm movement and sufficient strength to lean on one leg, or rotate her entire upper body into a stroke.

I'm surprised that after 9 years people are still discussing this.

You shouldn't be surprised. Hingis is a great athlete and a 5 time grand slam champ. If she has the same body type as other power players, then surely she would be able to hit as hard as them if she changed her technique (which she should be skilled enough to do as she's pretty talented!). But I see the point about her natural instincts, maybe that's why she keeps lapsing back to her tentative plays during matches. Anyways I just hope she can find a way to win by playing her usual 'brains' tennis if she can't match the power of other players - but the problem is that so many times her wins were on her opponents' rackets: if they could reduce their errors she would be beaten. Many may claim that Hingis forces her opponents make UE but if they find a way to cut these errors down, then they'll end up winning even though Hingis was in a huge lead (such as with the Dani match).

Steffica Greles
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
You shouldn't be surprised. Hingis is a great athlete and a 5 time grand slam champ. If she has the same body type as other power players, then surely she would be able to hit as hard as them if she changed her technique (which she should be skilled enough to do as she's pretty talented!).

Then let me put it to you like this: I'm the same 'body type' as Rafael Nadal. I'm as tall, if not taller, and I'm actually fairly strong. But never, not in a million years, could I play tennis in the physical manner that he does.

kabuki
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Martina is physically gifted, but it's all in her hands. She's just not a natural jock on the level of the rest of the top girls, and she's on the small side. She is what she is. :shrug:

lecciones
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
She deifinitely can, but I'd rather not she become just like any other power player, I don't want her to get injured so much. Her trademark is consistency so powerplaying induced injuries won't help. BUT, I do agree a little more power in her shots especially her serve will help a lot.

Derek.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
LOL! I'm afraid in that sense vs. power player only ability she has is ability to recognize unretrievable winner from her opponent fraction of second earlier than spectators. That's it. :o

:lol:

williams123
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
i really cannot stand her, but if she beef up her serv.., the second, girls would'nt attack it so much. then she would be top five with a chance at the grandslams. back in her heydey, girls werent really blasting her off the court, well maybe just one or two when they played well. i give credit where credit is due, unlike many williams haters. so no to the power player, but yes to the power serv. not a huge serve, just one in the 113 area would do just fine. but martina is hard headed she will never change. she's content on being the power player's bitch.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
She doesn't NEED to become a power player. This conversation wouldn't come up if Hingy simply got more pop on her serve. She could continue to play the exact same style off the ground she's playing. I also think she needs to be more aggressive on her returns, but... :shrug:

DennisPostedThis
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
I agree that its mental. She needs to really beleive in an agressive game, and really go after everything. She doesn't have the same swagger she had before.

KYLIE
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
She cant play power tennis consistantly, she will get injured. Shes not super fit either, her body wouldnt take it.

Thats the easy way to say it. Plus she was aised to play a finnese style game, you cant just change that overnight. Shes too old to make that adjustment.

MisterQ
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Martina has shown in her comeback that she can add increased pop to her groundstrokes when she chooses to. But the basic trajectory is usually still somewhat loopy --- it is as though she does not want to throw her body into the shot in a manner that might sacrifice the "feel" of the ball on the racquet, since her hands are the aspect of her game in which she is still arguably unparalleled.

Martina should not try to become a power player. But against top opponents she can and should become a more aggressive player --- in terms of positioning, early ball-striking, occasional flattening-out of strokes, and net-rushing. In other words, she needs to take the initiative more often, rather than simply counterpunching. I think she is smart and talented enough to do this without drastically increasing her unforced error count ... but old defensive tendencies die hard, especially when the "play as cleanly as possible" approach has been so effective for her in the past.

austennis
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
would be great if she could.. but the power players are often easier 2 beat because their games are pretty 1 dimensional and very similar so hingis represets something different.. she should stay like she is and just build a bigger serve..

Bruno71
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
If Hingis doesn't want to continue to occasionally lose to the likes of Razzano or Sugiyama, she MUST get a more competitive second serve. If I were her, I wouldn't retool her groundstrokes too much, though. I think they work, even against power players much of the time. But that 2nd serve has to go.

Let's not forget she's beaten some power players in her comeback...Sharapova, Davenport, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Hantuchova, Dementieva...

davidmario
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
she played 20years like that so it is impossible to switch the grip and start playing flat and hard.

Dementieva_Dude
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Martina has shown in her comeback that she can add increased pop to her groundstrokes when she chooses to. But the basic trajectory is usually still somewhat loopy --- it is as though she does not want to throw her body into the shot in a manner that might sacrifice the "feel" of the ball on the racquet, since her hands are the aspect of her game in which she is still arguably unparalleled.

Martina should not try to become a power player. But against top opponents she can and should become a more aggressive player --- in terms of positioning, early ball-striking, occasional flattening-out of strokes, and net-rushing. In other words, she needs to take the initiative more often, rather than simply counterpunching. I think she is smart and talented enough to do this without drastically increasing her unforced error count ... but old defensive tendencies die hard, especially when the "play as cleanly as possible" approach has been so effective for her in the past.

I agree completely :worship:

barmaid
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Martina was taught to play finesse tennis at an early age...her game consists of drop shots, lobs, backhand winners down the line, angle shots and serving wide so she can attack the net. Other than put more "pop" on her serve Martina is not a power hitter plain and simple...she has a brilliant tactical mind, very gifted hands so her strengths will not come from any increased power off her shots..you go with what you know and possess..Justine for instance was trained in an entirely different way thus enabling her to execute power shots...its all in what your "gifts" are as a player. While I'm sure since her comeback Martina has created more "oomph" on her serve and ground strokes she'll never be a power player"!:hearts: :worship:

barmaid:wavey:

Volcana
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:59 AM
1) Yes, Hingis COULD become a power player. She'd have to change both her build and her technique, but she could. As to whether or not she should, it would probably take two years to make a dramatic change in her build, and maybe that long technique-wise. Then there's the question of is she as good as a power player as she is as a finesse player. If she's only as good as Hantuchova, then it's a bad idea.

I think Hingis has her eye on the French, and given Mauresmo's emotional fragility, and Serena and Henin's variable health, she could arrive at RG with a retty good chance of winning.

Martian Jeza
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Martina was taught to play finesse tennis at an early age...her game consists of drop shots, lobs, backhand winners down the line, angle shots and serving wide so she can attack the net. Other than put more "pop" on her serve Martina is not a power hitter plain and simple...she has a brilliant tactical mind, very gifted hands so her strengths will not come from any increased power off her shots..you go with what you know and possess..Justine for instance was trained in an entirely different way thus enabling her to execute power shots...its all in what your "gifts" are as a player. While I'm sure since her comeback Martina has created more "oomph" on her serve and ground strokes she'll never be a power player"!:hearts: :worship:

barmaid:wavey:

Amen to this ! This is why I love Martina Hingis so much :hearts:

Ben.
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:26 AM
I don't think Martina Hingis was meant to be a power player. If she became a power player, tennis would be missing something special. I mean she could work on her serve to give it some speed & variety to enable her to start the pts effectively & maybe change the technique on her forehand not for power but for manuverability since it is a bit of a weakness.

But she's done well enough to get back into the Top 10 & stay there with the game she has so who knows what will happen.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I don't think she should change her game that much. She "tried" to become a power player or was forced into it in 2002 and therefore she was over played.
She's doing fairly well right now with her game

MyskinaManiac
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Martina's to do list:
- Develop a harder and more consistent first serve.
- Develop a kick kick serve
- Take more risks on the return
- Improve her already great backhand (I believe that has the right technique to develop one of the best if not the deadliest Doublehanded backhand in the game)
- And she can take her court speed to the next level (whether she wants to risk any damage to her ankle... I don't know)
- And really work on keeping her forehand shots deeper in the court.

Martina's grip prevents her from bashing the ball from the forehand side... So seeing Martina cracking flat forehand winners will never happen. She wont ever become a power player... it's far too late in her career for that, but what she can do is improve on the little things that once were the hallmarks to her game.