PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best volleyer of the new generation?

brent-o
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:43 AM
I was wondering this because I've seen them all play (some more than others), and not one stands out to me as a natural volleyer. Who do you guys think has the best touch/feel at net? Oh, and I included Sharapova because technically she is part of their generation, just has been on the top of the game longer than the others.

Tennisation
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:44 AM
Maria Sharapova

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:46 AM
I don't know. :confused:

brent-o
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:47 AM
Maria Sharapova

Her swings volleys, yes. Her regular volleys are atrocious. Unless that was a joke?

brent-o
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:48 AM
Oh and I also kind of left off Dinara Safina and Maria Kirilenko, so sorry bout that.

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:48 AM
Her swings volleys, yes. Her regular volleys are atrocious. Unless that was a joke?

Who'd you vote for? I haven't seen these players volley enough. Jelena's were pretty good though.

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:50 AM
graf,novotna,martinez,sanchez-vicario,hingis,mauresmo,henin;)

The new generation. :worship:

Tennisation
Her swings volleys, yes. Her regular volleys are atrocious. Unless that was a joke?so sorry, I thot u meant worst volleyer:tape:

cellophane
I tink Jelena is a different generation from everyone else though actually.

Josh.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
off that group in the pole??(that is after you added maria kirklenko)

maria

brent-o
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
Who'd you vote for? I haven't seen these players volley enough. Jelena's were pretty good though.

I voted for Jelena. Her volleys are kind of awkward sometimes (especially her two handed backhand one) but when she's in the zone, and her game is working, she's effective at net whether or not it looks good or not.

brent-o
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:52 AM
so sorry, I thot u meant worst volleyer:tape:

hehe well in that case, you'd be correct :devil:

mm1147
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
oh sorry im going to delete my message:confused:

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
I voted for Jelena. Her volleys are kind of awkward sometimes (especially her two handed backhand one) but when she's in the zone, and her game is working, she's effective at net whether or not it looks good or not.

I guess I don't really remember her volleying too much. I recall seeing her make some decent one in the Serena match in LA.

Wayn77
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM
none of the above :confused:

Anago
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:56 AM
I'll let you know when and if I ever see one of them volley. :tape:

cellophane
none of the above :confused:

Who is your pick? ;)

Mr.Kardashian
jankovic maybe... none of them are great at the net though

Dementieva_Dude
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:16 AM
this has to be the worst volleying generation ever. :tape:

Of those listed I would say Chakvetadze (although I haven't seen many of them volley at all).
I think Kirilenko should be listed...if she was listed, she'd have my vote, hands down.

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
this has to be the worst volleying generation ever. :tape:

Of those listed I would say Chakvetadze (although I haven't seen many of them volley at all).
I think Kirilenko should be listed...if she was listed, she'd have my vote, hands down.

Chakvetadze is really hesitant at net.

Williams Rulez
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:30 AM
no idea.. i've hardly seen any of them volley... lol

Sexysova
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
NICOLE! :) :hearts:

Gowza
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
she's not on the poll but i'd say krajicek, then kirilenko.

xin_hui
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM
none of them volleys well :tape:

volleys might become extinct after the "old" generation retires :speakles:

Volcana
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
Henin Chakvetadze

NyCPsU
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
it really cant be anna...shes not comfortable or that effective from the net and imo that should be one of the main things she should be working on in her game right now

if kirilenko was in this poll i would certainly say her...from what ive seen of her play, her volleys are very good and she comes to net quite often

for lack of a better option i chose peer but thats bc ive never really seen her and most of the others arent that good :shrug:

miss_molik
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
None of the Above. Sam Stosur

Meteor Shower
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Sania Mirza :rolls:
emm.. I would say Safina because all the other sucks more.
I've seen great volleys from all but way more lousy volleys from all players..

The Dawntreader
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Out of the list Jankovic, but she's hardly a master at the net:tape:

jazar
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
none of them are good volleyers, all they really do is drive volley. but i think nicole vaidisova was the best proper volley

tobi
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:09 AM
I am afraid none of them are great volleyer :tape:

wally1
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
None of those listed are any good at all. Martina Navratilova would hit more volleys in a single match than any of those would do in an entire season.

Beny
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Nicole..I saw her play some :eek: volleys in important matches at very important points...

Mina Vagante
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Vaidisova

Elwin.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
It's so clear..... Michaella Krajicek. Is already a good volleyer but will improver more in the coming years.

Demska
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
None of them?

They are all baseline players.

Mauresmo is the best volleyer of the current generation

ce
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
jankovic here,but all these girls at net are:scared:

PLP
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
I would have said Makiri but since she is not on the poll...Anna!!!

schorsch
definately jelena jankovic, followed by ivanovic

schorsch
if maria kirilenko were in the group it would definately be her.

CooCooCachoo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
:rolls:

None of them are that good at the net. Jankovic & Chakvetadze are pretty decent though. My vote goes to Chakvetadze.

Sharapova and Ivanovic are pretty gruesome at volleying.

Polikarpov
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
No one.

RND
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Jelena seems to be the best one there.I like Maria's swing volley,though. :)

Shimizu Amon
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Masha´s swing volley is one of the best out there but Masha hasn´t got a volley...yet. I really hope she will work on her volley in the near future.

But about who has a real great volley I can´t give you an answer. I haven´t seen any of the other players play enough to know if they are good volley players. I know Mauresmo is one of the best out there.

CORIA01
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Ivanovic!!!

pigam
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
None is really good.

Anna Chak is terrible :eek:. i saw her lie and it was :scared:
Jelena can hit good volleys, but they always seem a tad lucky :p
Dinara has rather good volleys i think
Masha's "tender volleys" arn't good, but her presence at the net in geenral is ok :shrug:
Ana: not good!
Nicole: mediocre, no?
Tati: the times I saw her at the net it wasn't bad at all.

i would probably go for Dinara: reach, good hands and lots of doubles? :shrug:

spriwi
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
... sharapova ... :silly:

Knizzle
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
I'd have to say Janko too. The others are either bad at the net, or I've never even seen them come to the net to volley.

Serge007
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
btw Jankovic is older Kuzzie. She is 22.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Makiri!!

Natash.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
I think Kirilenko and then maybe Jankovic from that list.

flyingmachine
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Where's Sveta????:confused:
None of these players above seems to be good at volleys. :o

LUXXXAS
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
:tape: Sharapova, Vaidisova and Ivanovic don't know what volley is sorry :help:

janko
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
None of them

Add Roberta Vinci, Sam Stosur, Séverine Brémond or others, but players above are quit bad volleyers...

"less worst" of them is maybe JJ

Hashim.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Jelena..

disco_rage
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM

LOL

^bibi^
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Maria kirilenko's not in the list although the girl is much batter than any of the other ones in that department

Viktymise
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Vaidisova is a pretty solid volleyer and knows when to come in unlike Maria who just wanders in sometime against quality opposition and just looks horrible up foward

.Andrew.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Out of the people on the list, Jankovic.

But you forgot Dinara Safina and Maria Kirilenko and they probably would've had the most votes if they were on the list ;)

Meteor Shower
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Chakvetadze with 13 votes? :eek:
I've seen her only a few times there and she sucked at them all :tape:

Craigy
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Kirilenko...even if she's not on the poll. :p

améliemomo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Dont know,they are not much volleyer...

FORZA SARITA
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Vinci

Derek.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Maria Kirilenko, easily.

Then Jankovic.

Derek.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Add Roberta Vinci, Sam Stosur, Séverine Brémond or others, but players above are quit bad volleyers...

They aren't really the generation the thread-starter is talking about. ;)

blumaroo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
If you include Sveta she's better than all of them.
Or Kirilenko followed by Krajicek.
Out of this list? I guess Jankovic but it's really hit and miss still.

mauresmofan
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Kuz is most definately the best volleyer from the new generation - volleying requires touch and feel at the net not just big swing volleys when all the damage has been done from a baseline rally.

maja.amelie
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
I think that all players "of the new generation"are not good volleyers....:shrug: Maybe Jankovic :confused:

Sund7101
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Chakvetadze has good volleys, it's just her positioning is sometimes bad so she looks hesitant. She has good hands so I think she will develop her volleys over time.

bellascarlett
Mar 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Sharapova! :rocker2:

Seriously, Maria has close to a nonexistent traditional volley (although there was one at the USO final that I believed turned momentum in her favor) but her swing volleys are ruthless and a thing of beauty! to die for! :hearts:

I really don't know which one is the best, certainly not Sharapova though when were talking traditional volley. Nobody even remotely comes close to being a Hingis or Mauresmo with their volleys.

trufanjay
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
I would have to say Jankovic. But I really dont' know. I know it's not Maria.

HenryMag.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Makiri

In the poll, Vaidisova

propi
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know if she could be included here, but if so definitely Vinci, possibly the last nice grass courter :)

FrenchY52
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Ok for Jankovic.. But why have Sharpy, Nicole, Chaky and Ana so many votes :tape: ??

Venus3000
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
People say that volleying is a lost art for most players in this generation. And the simple fact that we are picking the "best volleyer" from this group drives that point home.

Maria, wow did you see her try to volley in the Wimby 2005 SF against Venus and the 2006 Wimby SF against Amelie. :tape: But I think over time Maria will become a good volleyer based on height alone.

As for the people that say Chakvetadze, I'm not sure what they are watching. Her volleying skills are almost non existant. It's like she has to stop and think about it then try to pull the trigger WAY too late. :lol:

Derek.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
I can't think of anyone 20 and under who has better volleys than Kirilenko.

Blu€
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
None of them, Kirilenko or Hantuchova and they arent in the poll......

Derek.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
None of them, Kirilenko or Hantuchova and they arent in the poll......

Daniela is not the new generation. :p

Langers
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
I'd like to say Ana, but I just can't. :tape: :o

Mightymirza
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
none of em...:o

sapir1434
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Out of the list, Jankovic definitely

wally1
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
I can't think of anyone 20 and under who has better volleys than Kirilenko.Indeed. Sadly it seems that in the future there'll be even less variety of play than there is now (at least once Henin and Mauresmo have retired).

timafi
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
none of them

AlonsoFx
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Nicole Vaidisova! :haha:

Tennace
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
I think Nicole is the long run will be the best volleyer, but I am not really sure who it is now.

She has been trying to come to next more lately, so I think it should improve with time.

The only other person's volley that ever stood out to me (that I can remember) is Masha's, but not in a good way :tape:

RG Moonballer
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
None can. Jankovic shouldn't be a part of the list therefore my vote goes to Tati. At least she tries.

Beny
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
People here haven`t seen Nicole volley IMO...

Her volleys are underrated..in her matches against Amelie, she made some great ones and in other matches too...in Moscow 2006, etc. see her matches

Derek.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM

Her volleys are underrated..in her matches against Amelie, she made some great ones and in other matches too...in Moscow 2006, etc. see her matches

Yeah, Nicole can volley.

CuteLatinGirl
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:39 PM

Exactly!! I don’t see any of them go to the net and do a good volley.

The "new generation" only knows hit the ball as strong as they can,
maybe with a good technique but this is not enough. With Mauresmo
the volley will be almost ended as we always enjoy it if we consider
to this "new generation" her replacement.

Tennace
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:42 PM

That volley dig on MP down vs Mauresmo :hearts:

améliemomo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM

Yes on clay she has plenty of time but on grass or fast court she cant,only easy volleys.

Apoleb
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
They nearly all suck, and it's very sad. I just don't understand why there's no emphasis in their training while growing up on hitting a solid volley.

angel07
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
none of them

AnywhereButHome
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Sharapova

LegionArgentina
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
None

Viktymise
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:23 PM

Or the half-volley she hit against Petrova in Moscow SF on Petrova's 5th MP :eek:

serena_fan
Apr 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM
Tati Golovin

schorsch
Apr 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
tatiana, kirilenko.... and jankovic can do some damage there, too.

CORIA01
Apr 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Ana And Jelena

miffedmax
Apr 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Sesil will crush them all during the course of her thunderous return! Bwa ha ha ha ha!

Wayn77
Apr 1st, 2007, 04:11 PM
Aren't all of these choices 'powder-puff' volleyers?

Ivanovic is a good wristy volleyer on her occasional visit's to the net region.

frenchie
Apr 1st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Chakvetadze IMO

clearly not Golovin, $harapova, Vaidisova

stefi62
Apr 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM
None of them IMO!

Sexysova
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:50 PM
it's between Jelena and Nicole, I think Nicole is better halfvolleyer and Jelena is better in the net and Nicole has better smashes - so Nicole :)

A'DAM
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM
They ALL suck at net :rolleyes:

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM
it's between Jelena and Nicole, I think Nicole is better halfvolleyer and Jelena is better in the net and Nicole has better smashes - so Nicole :)

:spit: Nicole is an ackward oafette at net!

Yeah, I agree with the sentiment, they all suck at net! :o

Mightymirza
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM
none of em..:o

Lulu.
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Chakvetadze? :shrug:

Derek.
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM
:spit: Nicole is an ackward oafette at net!

No she's not.

It's not her A-game, but she's usually successful when she comes in.

She had some nice points at net in Miami and ended her match with Dushevina with a beautiful volley winner. :hearts:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Apr 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Sammy!!

IMPOSSIBLE
Apr 1st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Golovin

Corswandt
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:37 AM

The last ditch, extremely difficult volleys she pulled off on decisive points on that match are the kind of thing she'll succeed in doing 1 out of 10 times if she tries something like that again. :lol:

Of the "new generation", maybe Kuznetsova is the most accomplished volleyer, though she seems to use her volleying skills somewhat sparingly nowadays.

Kirilenko is a very good volleyer as well - she routinely succeeds in hitting the most difficult touch volleys as no other player around her age does.

Krajicek is another of the very few young players who knows what to do around the net.

I seem to remember ALG being a good volleyer back when she didn't suck.

Ivanovic actually has good touch at the net (check the PPO final), but lacks the agility and reflexes that are also essential for volleying.

Peer and Jankovic were both players who tended to approach the net at the worst possible times and as a consequence were forced to hit awkward volleys when completely out of position - Peer in particular seemed totally hopeless. But the last time I saw her play she managed to hit a few simple but successful volleys, so there's a chance she's working on that. Jankovic, who used to rush the net behind nothing on decisive points only to lose them, also seems to have realised that she should only approach the net for relatively simple volleys which she can pull off with ease.

Sharapova, Chakvetadze and Golovin just flat out suck at volleying.

urock34
Apr 4th, 2007, 02:40 AM
safina has some nice hands

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM
None of them :tape:

Craigy
Apr 4th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Still think Kirilenko should be on the poll :p

Shonami Slam
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Peer and Jankovic were both players who tended to approach the net at the worst possible times and as a consequence were forced to hit awkward volleys when completely out of position - Peer in particular seemed totally hopeless. But the last time I saw her play she managed to hit a few simple but successful volleys, so there's a chance she's working on that.

peer was useless at the net against teen-age Julia Glushko, a medium baseliner with little experience, let alone against top100 players such as Peer.
and i'm talking way ugly volley attempts, it was ridicoulous.
you may have seen her read the opponent well, rush the way she can and hit a simple volley smartly to finish up the point - the girl is a learner, and if it's easy, she can do it, especially if it rellies on her speed and movement, but the feel, the hands, the abbility to change the ball speed, direction and spin directly from most shots thrown at her, is horribly wrong.
she is helpless there in a way that cannot be taught in my opinion.
if someone voted for her here, he must be somewhat ironic, or blind.

woosey
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM
volley?

what the hell is that?

do most of them even know what a volley is?

cellophane
Apr 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Anna wouldn't know what a volley is if it hit her. :tape:

Corswandt
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
you may have seen her [Peer] read the opponent well, rush the way she can and hit a simple volley smartly to finish up the point

Yes, that and nothing more.

During some of her matches at the late 2006 indoor season, her success rate at the net was 1 out of 10, if not worse. It was the main reason why she couldn't finish off a totally passive Schnyder in Stuttgart, for instance. Now she's more careful with the occasions she picks to come to the net - and she's improved her success rate, but probably not her actual volleying skills.

Meteor Shower
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
peer was useless at the net against teen-age Julia Glushko, a medium baseliner with little experience, let alone against top100 players such as Peer.
and i'm talking way ugly volley attempts, it was ridicoulous.
you may have seen her read the opponent well, rush the way she can and hit a simple volley smartly to finish up the point - the girl is a learner, and if it's easy, she can do it, especially if it rellies on her speed and movement, but the feel, the hands, the abbility to change the ball speed, direction and spin directly from most shots thrown at her, is horribly wrong.
she is helpless there in a way that cannot be taught in my opinion.
if someone voted for her here, he must be somewhat ironic, or blind.

Of course she will not volley well if you just put her at the net, but when she hit a shot and come at her on terms then she sets herself up in the net and volley it away. She isn't good at a drop volley but she can hit a deep volley pretty well.

So far I haven't seen another youngster who drop volley well except Nicole, and yes I've seen Kirilenko play quite a few times.

btw, while we are at it:
Against Svetlana she had 17 of 19 = 89% at the net,
Svetlana had 10 of 17 = 59% .

Bruno71
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM
All the power players seem to have good swing volleys but not much else. Compare any of these players to Amelie or Justine at the net and it's :help:

I will say that Jelena's swing volleys are as impressive as Maria's when she's on, and the rest of her volleys are adequate to good.

Louis Cyphre
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM
yeah,they all suck at net
I wonder what will be the poll result if there was such an option :lol:

DarkchildSwiss
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM
masha for sure. no, i am just kidding but I think that no one of the above mentioned players is a real good volleyer.