PDA

View Full Version : What are the religious inclinations of the top wta players?

nsquare
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:59 AM
Do u guys know about the religious inclinations of the top wta players?I have heard that mary is a devout Christian and sania is a pious Muslim but what about the others?Which religion does they believe in? How many of them are deeply religious,which of them hav a casual attitude towards religion,are any of them fundamentalists and are any of them athiests?
if u think that this thread is unnecessary, i am really sorry :p

austennis
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:02 AM
Its interesting and all i can really tell you is that Dinara Safina is a muslim.. because there was talk of her struggling during ramadan last year..

Paneru
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:08 AM
How many of them are deeply religious,which of them hav a casual attitude towards religion,are any of them fundamentalists and are any of them athiests?

None of us here can answer such a question.
You have to ask the players themselves.

drake3781
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
I think Mary Pierce is a devout Christian.

I've heard that Safina is not really religious, Muslim family.

Same with the Williams sisters, Jehovah's Witnesses by family but not practicing.

(Am I right about all that?)

drake3781
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
None of us here can answer such a question.
You have to ask the players themselves.

Many of them have spoken about their religion at one time or another.

barmaid
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:47 AM
Many of them have spoken about their religion at one time or another.

Serena in her acceptance speech at AO this year thanked "Jehovah her God for the victory"!!:angel:

barmaid:wavey:

nsquare
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM
Maria very often wears a cross.Is she a devout Christian?What about juju and momo?Are there any players who regularly pray on court?I mean , there are many soccer players who make the sign of the cross, or kneel down after they have scored a goal.So are there any wta players who regularly thank God after match victories?Is anabel medina a muslim or a christian?Are nadia and kuzzie nonbelievers?I think that religion still plays a very important role in our 21st century world so there is no harm in talking about the religious interests of top players.

DutchieGirl
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:14 AM
Does it matter what religion they are? Not everyone believes in a religion these days...

hwanmig
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM
Does it matter what religion they are? Not everyone believes in a religion these days...

I guess we share the same belief or lack of;) .

But to answer the question I believe Amelie does not have one. Elena does not look like the religious type so is Sveta. I think Myskina has a religion or maybe that cross she sometimes wear is for show. Francesca I believe is Catholic just like any ordinary Italian woman.

antonella
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
Elena does not look like the religious type

:haha: Out of mild curiosity, what exactly does 'the religious type' look like??

DutchieGirl
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:44 AM
I guess we share the same belief or lack of;) .

But to answer the question I believe Amelie does not have one. Elena does not look like the religious type so is Sveta. I think Myskina has a religion or maybe that cross she sometimes wear is for show. Francesca I believe is Catholic just like any ordinary Italian woman.

How can we SHARE something if some believe and some dont? :scratch:

starin
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
I've wondered about V&S. I know that they are jehovah's witnesses but I'm not sure how devout they are in terms of how closely they follow the rules of a Jehovah's witness. I thought Jehovah's witness were not allowed to have surgery or drink. And i'm pretty sure the WS have done both. But I could be wrong. Just curious.

Talula
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:05 AM
Serena in her acceptance speech at AO this year thanked "Jehovah her God for the victory"!!:angel:

I prefer the Serena that shakes her booty and dates married men.

Volcana
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
It's odd. In American basketball and football, you hear players thanking 'My lord and saviour Jesus Christ' in every other interview. In golf, tennis, baseball, and hockey, you rarely hear that.

I almost want to remove American football from the equation, because it's both violent and personal. (Running into a brick wall at 300 kph is violent, but it isn't personal. The wall doesn't care.)

I have no idea what the religious affiliations of the players are. Europe, taken as a whole, is reputed, in America, to be much more secular than the USA. Since tennis is dominated by Europeans, maybe that's why we don't hear more about religion. But American players don't make much mention of it either.

Bruno71
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM
I'm fairly certain that Shahar Peer is Jewish ;) . Whether she's devout or not I don't know.

starin
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
I'm fairly certain that Shahar Peer is Jewish ;) . Whether she's devout or not I don't know.

you mean she's Isreali. Doesn't make her Jewish.

(i think that's right :confused: )

Bruno71
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM

Right, it doesn't nec. mean she's Jewish...but I believe that she is.

lielabet7
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
I think Sharapova is a Christian coz I have often seen her kiss the cross she wears around her neck and also when she wins, after she has thanked the crowd, she always kisses her hand and raises it to the sky aswell as her head - thanking God.

metamorpha
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM
I think she's catholic? Look how Yuri reacted just right after she won the final USO 2006.

Tie-Break
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Right, it doesn't nec. mean she's Jewish...but I believe that she is.

Yeh - she is Jewish :cool:

souam
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
I think she's catholic? Look how Yuri reacted just right after she won the final USO 2006.

Most Russians are Orthodoxes. I doubt she's Catholic.

cheyk
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
What about Petrova? Do you know anything?

ce
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
probably orthodox:rocker:

Or Levy
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Shahar Peer is an Israeli name, but it's also a Jewish Israeli name, there's no doubt, it's just obvious.

Plus, the Jewish population in Israel is about 76%, and 20% of the other 24% are Israeli arabs (who are either Christians or Muslims) who aren't going to be called "Shahar Peer" - it's just not an Arabic name.

As for her faith, she's probably secular, like about 40 or 45 percent of the Jewish population in Israel. If she was in any way religious, life as a top Tennis player would be very difficult for her (for example, not playing on Saturday and eating Kosher)

miffedmax
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
There was an interview with Dementieva where someone asked her religion. She gave a very carefully moderated answer, something along the lines that everybody has beliefs that are important to them.

Elena being Elena, it's pretty hard to be sure what that means. It could be that she is an atheist or agnostic who respects that others may believe differently. She may be a deist or a Universalist who believes in a Supreme Being, but is not locked into a particular doctrine or traditional faith.

Or it could mean that she is a mainstream Orthodox Russian who was politely telling a reporter that her religious beliefs are none of his damn business.

Given her propensity for keeping her private life just that, I think it unlikely we'll ever know.

Myskina I know is the godmother of her coach's daughter, which would indicate to me that she is at least somewhat Orthodox--I can kind of see her as being, like so many, a "Christmas and Easter" member of the Orthodox Church, but that's just speculation.

Joana
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
I can kind of see her as being, like so many, a "Christmas and Easter" member of the Orthodox Church, but that's just speculation.

95% of all Orthodox Christians are like that. :p

Nervenbuendel
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
I think this topic is a quite interesting one - in my opinion it is indeed somehow important; it touches the mental background of each player and has due to this a great influence on personality and character. On the other hand it is a very personal subject and some of the intelligent and decent players (like Dementieva) won't open her mind regarding their inner world to the press for some reason.

To tell the truth: We know almost nothing about that, except the fact that obviously Serena Williams claims that she believes in Jehova. The only person in the whole tennis circuit I remind telling something about religion was Michael Chang who is christian.

On the other hand: I really do think there are a lot of players which are religious in different degrees. First of all the members of the Russian-Orthodox Church and members of the Roman-Catholic Church. It is in my opinion quite uncommon that for example players from South America or Italy, Spanin, Portugal, Poland etc. are pure atheists - in most cases they are at least "low-level" believers. Could you imagine that Paolo Suarez is a religious indifferent person? I can't. :angel:

jeanpierre
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
religion of WTA player = tennis. Arrive in airport, go to hotel, go to restaurant, sleep, shower, go to toilet, go to practice courts, play matchs, fly to next city. That is the religion of WTA tennis player.

polishprodigy
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
The Williams sisters are devout Jehovah Witnesses. Serena even thanked "my God Jehovah" in her winners acceptance speech at the AO.

Aphex
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
The $.
And some the Ä.

SpankMe
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
I prefer the Serena that shakes her booty and dates married men.
:haha:
religion of WTA player = tennis. Arrive in airport, go to hotel, go to restaurant, sleep, shower, go to toilet, go to practice courts, play matchs, fly to next city. That is the religion of WTA tennis player.
:lol:

One Slam Wonder
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
I don't think Serena could be all that religious. She said "Oh My God", at The Australian Open, and it wasn't in a way of praying.

LoveFifteen
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:02 PM
The Williams sisters are devout Jehovah Witnesses. Serena even thanked "my God Jehovah" in her winners acceptance speech at the AO.

I would hardly call them devout. :shrug:

Groenefelder25
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
yeh i think the william's are jehovahs witness, as am i:)

One Slam Wonder
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
I would hardly call them devout. :shrug:

I agree.

**Jelica**
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Sveta wears a cross so I doubt she's Atheist.
Linetskaya is Jewish.
I'm pretty sure that Justine is Catholic, even if non-practising. She got married in a Catholic Church :tape: But then again, she may have been excommunicated now :tape: :tape: :tape:

*JR*
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that Justine is Catholic, even if non-practising. She got married in a Catholic Church :tape: But then again, she may have been excommunicated now :tape: :tape: :tape:
I didn't realize they performed same sex marriages. :o

SpankMe
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
I didn't realize they performed same sex marriages. :o
:ras:

Some of the players probably indulge in a bit of self-worship :tape: :lol:

SelesFan70
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
At least none of them are not as annoying as Michael Chang. :tape:

Fidello
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:53 PM

Could WS be more pathetic?!

drake3781
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Michael Chang

- He now studies at a Christian seminary-type university whose mission is to train people to evangelize.

- He signs autographs to everyone, "Jesus loves you".

- Chang spends his time running the Chang Family Foundation, a charity funded by the prize money he won during a 16-year career. A Christian outreach organization. Established in 1999, the foundation uses the acronym CHANG for its vision: "Christ Honored And introduced to the Next Generation."
CFF's local community and international programs include youth tennis camps, evangelistic events, and a scholarship program. Launched in January 2002, the Foundation's Christian Sports League (CSL) was started as a vehicle for churches and organizations to do outreach using sports. Chang says CSL's mission is to use sports as an avenue for people to hear, see, and experience the Christian faith.

- An evangelist at heart, Chang says he's also thinking of taking some seminary classes. "Who knows? Maybe being a pastor or evangelist is something down the line for me," he reveals. "Ministry doesn't really change. It just won't be out there on the court. My purpose won't change. I'll still want to impact lives. That's God's calling for each Christian regardless of where they are".

- He is now a Christian motivational speaker.

Now his playing days are over Michael Chang devotes his time to teaching people about Jesus. This is mainly done through the Chang Family Foundation. When asked by Good News why he devotes so much of his time to his fans and preaching about God, Chang replied. "I've received so much joy, so much love, and so many blessings from the Lord, now I'm just constantly trying to surrender myself to Him so that the Holy Spirit can do His work through me. I pray that my actions and words would be used to glorify Him."

Quotes:

- "I used to put too much emphasis on winning and losing, but my perspective changed when I became a Christian," he once told a fan. "It is much easier now to go out and perform because I no longer feel that same pressure -- God has taken it away. He has given me a great sense of peace. I've also been very blessed in my life because I have my mom, dad, sister-in-law Diana, and brother Carl (my coach) supporting and praying for me."

"I do a Bible study first thing in the morning and also at night. Throughout the day, Iíll pray -- whenever -- because the Lord is always there. He teaches me a lot through circumstances in my life, whether itís through a tennis match or some other thing thatís going on," says Chang. "Trying to stay close to the Lord can be very difficult to do by yourself, so you ask the Lord to help you. You ask Him to be your first love and your first priority. Life will have its ups and downs, but regardless of whatís happening in our lives, if weíre focusing on Him, weíll have the joy that He gives us."

"If I get off track, the Lord always puts me back," says Chang. "Iíve been fortunate in that I became a Christian the first year I was on the Tour. Before all the fame and money, the Lord was there teaching me His way first. The wonderful thing is that I look back at my life and I can see that even when I wasnít a Christian, He was looking out for me. Now Iím just constantly trying to surrender myself to the Lord, so the Holy Spirit can do His work through me."

#1Davenport
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Anyone know what Lindsay Davenport believes? I've always wanted to know.

FanDeJen
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I'm sure that Mauresmo is a devout Catholic & Jennifer is agnostic just like me

nsquare
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Thank you guys for all your responses.But it shows how little all of us know about the religious beliefs of top wta players.I accept that religion is a deeply personal matter.But face it, it does shape our character,behaviour and beliefs.At least some of the players must be deeply religious,if not then why did andrea jaeger recently become a nun?Can anyone tell me about the top player's religious affiliations?I'm sure patty is a conservative Christian,Conchita too is religious and superstitious,but what about others?I dont think LenaD is an athiest.What about Vaidisova?

stevos
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Michael Chang

- He now studies at a Christian seminary-type university whose mission is to train people to evangelize.

- Chang spends his time running the Chang Family Foundation, a charity funded by the prize money he won during a 16-year career. A Christian outreach organization. Established in 1999, the foundation uses the acronym CHANG for its vision: "Christ Honored And introduced to the Next Generation."
CFF's local community and international programs include youth tennis camps, evangelistic events, and a scholarship program. Launched in January 2002, the Foundation's Christian Sports League (CSL) was started as a vehicle for churches and organizations to do outreach using sports. Chang says CSL's mission is to use sports as an avenue for people to hear, see, and experience the Christian faith.

- An evangelist at heart, Chang says he's also thinking of taking some seminary classes. "Who knows? Maybe being a pastor or evangelist is something down the line for me," he reveals. "Ministry doesn't really change. It just won't be out there on the court. My purpose won't change. I'll still want to impact lives. That's God's calling for each Christian regardless of where they are".

Now his playing days are over Michael Chang devotes his time to teaching people about Jesus. This is mainly done through the Chang Family Foundation. When asked by Good News why he devotes so much of his time to his fans and preaching about God, Chang replied. "I've received so much joy, so much love, and so many blessings from the Lord, now I'm just constantly trying to surrender myself to Him so that the Holy Spirit can do His work through me. I pray that my actions and words would be used to glorify Him."

Quotes:

- "I used to put too much emphasis on winning and losing, but my perspective changed when I became a Christian," he once told a fan. "It is much easier now to go out and perform because I no longer feel that same pressure -- God has taken it away. He has given me a great sense of peace. I've also been very blessed in my life because I have my mom, dad, sister-in-law Diana, and brother Carl (my coach) supporting and praying for me."

"I do a Bible study first thing in the morning and also at night. Throughout the day, Iíll pray -- whenever -- because the Lord is always there. He teaches me a lot through circumstances in my life, whether itís through a tennis match or some other thing thatís going on," says Chang. "Trying to stay close to the Lord can be very difficult to do by yourself, so you ask the Lord to help you. You ask Him to be your first love and your first priority. Life will have its ups and downs, but regardless of whatís happening in our lives, if weíre focusing on Him, weíll have the joy that He gives us."

"If I get off track, the Lord always puts me back," says Chang. "Iíve been fortunate in that I became a Christian the first year I was on the Tour. Before all the fame and money, the Lord was there teaching me His way first. The wonderful thing is that I look back at my life and I can see that even when I wasnít a Christian, He was looking out for me. Now Iím just constantly trying to surrender myself to the Lord, so the Holy Spirit can do His work through me."

I had no idea Mary or Michael were christian :D
I hope you didn't put this on here for people to ridicule, because otherwise, what does this really have to do with the topic? (wtaworld ;) )

nsquare
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Is anabel medina a christian or muslim?What about jankovic and ivanovic?

pav
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Bepa Z. is a devout follower of Lacrymoses :sad:

*JR*
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Melissa Middleton was probably the most religiously devout WTA player in recent years. In that respect she's every bit a female Michael Chang.

runner
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I can safely say that Eleni Daniilidou is a Greek Orhodox...

lielabet7
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know what/if any religion Kim Clijsters is? Wonder if she will get married in a church and what kind of church?

zvonarevarulz
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM

A what??????

zvonarevarulz
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
And I can safetly say that the atheists on tour are probably the lesbians.
(and please dont take that badly my cousin is a lesbian and I am very good friends with her so dont take that badly im not homophobic)

Edward.
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I've read somewhere that Maria is Russian Orthodox.

zeezee05
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Michael Chang

Quotes:

"If I get off track, the Lord always puts me back," says Chang. "Iíve been fortunate in that I became a Christian the first year I was on the Tour. Before all the fame and money, the Lord was there teaching me His way first. The wonderful thing is that I look back at my life and I can see that even when I wasnít a Christian, He was looking out for me. Now Iím just constantly trying to surrender myself to the Lord, so the Holy Spirit can do His work through me." How wonderful it is to live the faith. Thumps up to Chang :yeah:

zvonarevarulz
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I also read that Maria's boyfriend is penecostal and she tried his church for a while (i'm probably totally off cuz this was like 2 years ago)

Apoorv
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM

:lol:

Cat's Pajamas
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Can someone please explain that cult thing with Vakulenko? :o

I would be shocked if Davenport was anything other than Christian, and most likely Protestant.

Fidello
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Is anabel medina a christian or muslim?What about jankovic and ivanovic?

I seriously hope they are both atheist. I think Ana surely is.

Mightymirza
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM

why do u hope??its not like its wrong or shameful to have a religion...its matter of their own belief..

Craigy
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Could WS be more pathetic?!

Same could be said for you.

njnetswill
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I highly doubt the Williams Sisters are anywhere devout Jehovah's Witnesses. They wouldn't celebrate any holiday, and I'm pretty sure Serena and Venus like to have a good time on their birthdays. :p

Fidello
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM
why do u hope??its not like its wrong or shameful to have a religion...its matter of their own belief..
I didn't say that is something wrong having religious beliefs :shrug:
Being an atheist myself I hope they're the same as me, thats all.

TomasUli
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM
And I can safetly say that the atheists on tour are probably the lesbians.
(and please dont take that badly my cousin is a lesbian and I am very good friends with her so dont take that badly im not homophobic)

No offense taken. And I hope you don't take offense at people laughing at your idiotic comment. :tape:

pov
Feb 8th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Bump.

Venus Williams - Jehovah's Witness
Serena Williams - Jehovah's Witness
Victoria Azarenka - Orthodox

pov
Feb 8th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Domi has been worshiping at the Mara Kannon Shrine a lot...
What's that?

Tenis Srbija
Feb 8th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Well this is a BUMP :lol:

Jack.
Feb 8th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Safina was a muslim? I didn't know that.

Manitou
Feb 8th, 2013, 06:06 PM
The Radwanska sisters are both devout practicing Catholics.
Every Polish or Polish-origin player is more or less Catholic. I don't think we have much choice here....

--

ZeroSumGame
Feb 8th, 2013, 06:14 PM

My friend is from Serbia & said both are Serbian Orthodox, once rumored to belong to the church where Serbian Orthodox priests blessed war criminals like Ratko Mladic & the same priests were also accused of sex abuse cover-up ...if true, this can't get any more pathetic for Anna & JJ :p

moodin0931
Feb 8th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Very interesting thread :yeah:

Brad[le]y.
Feb 8th, 2013, 06:34 PM

She doesn't practice at all though :lol:

crystal ball
Feb 8th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Every Polish or Polish-origin player is more or less Catholic.
Are you sure? Because I wouldn't be surprised if, for instance, Lisicki belonged to Lutheran Church. After all her father has some German roots. I just speculate here, but it's not like 100% Poles are Catholic. We even had a Lutheran prime-minister, remember? :)

I know only of Agnieszka declaring herself as a practicing Catholic:

http://ekai.pl/resize/351x234/zdjecia/radwaska.jpg

Manitou
Feb 8th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I just speculate here, but it's not like 100% Poles are Catholic.

That's why I said "more or less"....

--

Start da Game
Feb 8th, 2013, 06:46 PM
sania mirza is a muslim and muslims are categorized among the upper castes in india......

rushmi chakravarthi is a hindu brahmin and thus belongs to the highest caste or class in india......

on the men's side,

leander paes is a goan catholic christian and christians in general anywhere from the world residing in india are scheduled under the lowest category in india the "scheduled caste"......

mahesh bhupati is a hindu and belongs to the warrior class which is one among the upper castes......

rohan bopanna is a hindu and belongs to the kapu caste which is in between the upper and lower caste called the "backward caste"......

BH both wings
Feb 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Every Polish or Polish-origin player is more or less Catholic. I don't think we have much choice here....

You have a choice: Polish Catholic or Roman Catholic.

*JR*
Feb 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Sania is like "kinda sorta" a Muslim. ;)

And Julia Vakulenko (aka Sister Christian) is a follower of this cult leader type guy. :o

Can someone please explain that cult thing with Vakulenko? :o

Yulia became an acolyte of the err, "controversial" Scotty Paschal (http://forum.rickross.com/read.php?10,14608,page=2) for a couple of years. ;)

95% of all Orthodox Christians are like that. :p

http://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/Images/2013/2/7/201327152510346734_16.jpg

Boxuan
Feb 8th, 2013, 10:23 PM

Her whole family are ethnic Tartars, and Tartars are mostly muslims. But I've never heard of anything about Marat on this subject, maybe he's not as religious as sis, and Dinara actually has more typical facial features of a tartar than her bro IMO.

Wert.
Feb 8th, 2013, 10:34 PM

Yes, practically. She comes from a region that is mostly Muslim. But once she was asked about it, she said she doesnt feel like a Muslim at all, but as every other Russian first .

dsanders06
Feb 8th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Her whole family are ethnic Tartars, and Tartars are mostly muslims. But I've never heard of anything about Marat on this subject, maybe he's not as religious as sis, and Dinara actually has more typical facial features of a tartar than her bro IMO.

Yes, practically. She comes from a region that is mostly Muslim. But once she was asked about it, she said she doesnt feel like a Muslim at all, but as every other Russian first .

Didn't Dinara use to wear an Islamic trinket of some kind? Or am I imagining? :scratch:

dusan993
Feb 8th, 2013, 11:31 PM
All serbian girls (including Ana and Jelena) are Orthodox Christians , and for sure Sharapova and Vesnina are also.

Anabelcroft
Feb 8th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Her whole family are ethnic Tartars, and Tartars are mostly muslims.

Tartar is a sauce and Tatars(Tatar steak) are the ethnic group...

Vartan
Feb 9th, 2013, 12:11 AM

:sobbing: I noticed that too. But apparently you can spell it both ways.

Sam L
Feb 9th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Sharapova is Russian Orthodox but why does she wear a Catholic cross?

Sam L
Feb 9th, 2013, 12:12 AM
:sobbing: I noticed that too. But apparently you can spell it both ways.
You can.

aselto
Feb 9th, 2013, 12:51 AM
You have a choice: Polish Catholic or Roman Catholic.

Can you explain the joke?

TeamUla
Feb 9th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Can you explain the joke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholicism_in_Poland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Catholic_Church

Melange
Feb 9th, 2013, 12:58 AM

:) its steak tartare

fouc
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:02 AM

--

I have like 3 or 4 catholic friends :unsure:

TeamUla
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:03 AM
I have like 3 or 4 catholic friends :unsure:

Depends who you call your friend. Here in Warsaw I know many cathonationalists at my age in my university.:p

Boxuan
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:05 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartars

Tatars (Tatar: Tatarlar / Татарлар, sometimes spelled Tartars

poteito, potato :lol:

fouc
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Depends who you call your friend. Here in Warsaw I know many cathonationalists at my age in my university.:p

i call my friends my friends... bad luck choosing the field of study I guess :)

TeamUla
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:10 AM
i call my friends my friends... bad luck choosing the field of study I guess :)

Artistic fields are always more left/liberal. At faculty of social/political sciences you have all the options. :p

fouc
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:18 AM
true, i wouldn't just say 'there is no choice' though

Vartan
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartars

Tatars (Tatar: Tatarlar / Татарлар, sometimes spelled Tartars

poteito, potato :lol:

Even when there are two accepted ways of spelling a word, one is always better than the other though. Like in the word gray.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/08%20america%20fuck%20yeah.jpg

overrule
Feb 9th, 2013, 02:14 AM
A more interesting question is what are the political leanings of the players?

Vartan
Feb 9th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Sharapova would be a conservative.
Petkovic would be a liberal.

Melange
Feb 9th, 2013, 02:41 AM

A lot of them are from countries where you can disappear for saying the wrong thing so this is a pointless question

Yoncť
Feb 9th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Even when there are two accepted ways of spelling a word, one is always better than the other though. Like in the word gray.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/08%20america%20fuck%20yeah.jpg

Or colour. :p

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

tennisbear7
Feb 9th, 2013, 03:03 AM

Sorry but there's no way in hell Maria would be a conservative.

ťgalitť
Feb 9th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned the incredible vanishing Patty "Carmen Sandiego" Schnyder and her orange juice cult in this thread. :tears:

Wiggly
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:07 AM

Sharapova may be conservative in her financial views but I don't see as a member of the Tea Party or anything.

Boxuan
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:09 AM

I guess top players are neo-cons who want to keep their share of prize money but less tax, lower ranked players are liberals who call for a more equal distribution ;)

Tenis Srbija
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:48 AM
My friend is from Serbia & said both are Serbian Orthodox, once rumored to belong to the church where Serbian Orthodox priests blessed war criminals like Ratko Mladic & the same priests were also accused of sex abuse cover-up ...if true, this can't get any more pathetic for Anna & JJ :p

Oh please :facepalm:

rrfnpump
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:49 AM

I dont know what your definition of liberal is, but for German standards, Petkovic surely is not liberal.

ServeCaspian
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Maria is Christian, given the crucifix? I'm assuming Orthodox but don't really know.

Sam L
Feb 9th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Maria is Christian, given the crucifix? I'm assuming Orthodox but don't really know.

It looks like a Catholic cross though. Unless if it has a design like this and we can't see it:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yea1aYtSeQE/T-rrgRvNPXI/AAAAAAAADWg/DYaCBM1WYUk/s1600/orthodox_cross.jpg

Or she could be Orthodox and just wearing a catholic cross.

Are there a lot of Catholics in Russia? I don't think so. She has to be Orthodox.

crazillo
Feb 9th, 2013, 05:58 AM
I dont know what your definition of liberal is, but for German standards, Petkovic surely is not liberal.

Petkovic has said she upports the social democrats.
But liberal is a very contested sphere.

Sergius
Feb 9th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Sorry, misread Sam's post

Anyway, Sharapova's cross does look Orthodox for me

PimpMePova
Feb 9th, 2013, 10:16 AM

You think Maria would be a conservative? I really hope you are wrong :lol:

BH both wings
Feb 9th, 2013, 11:38 AM

The American "liberal" doesn't exist in Germany (or in the majority of Europe), not as a term and not as an idea. There is a political term "liberal" in the German language, which, again, does not have a direct correspondent in American English and in American politics.

frenchie
Feb 9th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I always hate when Serena thanks "her God Jehovah" after winning a tournament.

Keep it private, girl!!

saint2
Feb 9th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Keep it private, girl!!

Or ? Have a problem with this ?

frenchie
Feb 9th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Or ? Have a problem with this ?

IMO religion belongs to the private life.

PS : I'm biased when it comes to religion...:o

saint2
Feb 9th, 2013, 11:50 AM
IMO religion belongs to the private life.

And she says it as a private person, doesn't offend anyone, doesn't enforce her relligion on other people, whats the problem then ?

frenchie
Feb 9th, 2013, 11:55 AM
And she says it as a private person, doesn't offend anyone, doesn't enforce her relligion on other people, whats the problem then ?

But we all know she a public personality talking in front of millions of people.

BTW this is a bigger debate (often discussed in France these days....). No need to argue here.

ZeroSumGame
Feb 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM

Keep it private, girl!!

Why are you driving ppl to worship underground? This isn't 14th Century Medieval times, players have every right to publicly thank a greater good for blessing them with gifts of life, it's not like they're worshiping satan in front of millions.

Turn off your tv & don't watch if you feel offended that a player is acknowledging their God :fiery:

frenchie
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Why are you driving ppl to worship underground? This isn't 14th Century Medieval times, players have every right to publicly thank a greater good for blessing them with gifts of life, it's not like they're worshiping satan in front of millions.

Turn off your tv & don't watch if you feel offended that a player is acknowledging their God :fiery:

OMG....

Serena is my favorite current player!
I was just saying that I don't like when she's doing that:o

Mentionning god in a speech is very "North-american" (look at Obama who has to swear on a Bible!!). I'm pretty sure you'll never see that from an european player.

That's just a cultural thing I guess.

NashaMasha
Feb 9th, 2013, 02:14 PM
It looks like a Catholic cross though. Unless if it has a design like this and we can't see it:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yea1aYtSeQE/T-rrgRvNPXI/AAAAAAAADWg/DYaCBM1WYUk/s1600/orthodox_cross.jpg

Or she could be Orthodox and just wearing a catholic cross.

Are there a lot of Catholics in Russia? I don't think so. She has to be Orthodox.

in orthodox church eight-pointed , six-pointed and four pointed crosses are acceptable. Actually prince Vladimir "Red Sun" took a four -pointed Latin Cross from Konstantinopel when was christening Russia. It's enough to look at Jaroslav the Wise (son of prince Vladimir) grave in Kiev to understand that Russian Cross was initially the same as Latin
http://89.r.photoshare.ru/00891/008800ad47fbd6628d230e0a1fb5632ecccfcd7f.jpg

in 1855 St. John of Kronstadt wrote dissertation in which proved that 4 pointed cross is equal to 8 pointed cross in orthodox church.

the only difference is that if cross is with crucifix , catholics consider that Christ's boots were single-nailed, while orthodox - with 2 nails
One more difference is that Catholics portray dead Christ, sagging heavily while Orthodox portray Christ not dying but resurrected spreading His arms out freely as if embracing the whole mankind.

dsanders06
Feb 9th, 2013, 02:33 PM

LesboPova a conservative? :eek: Surely not.

pov
Feb 9th, 2013, 02:46 PM
:facepalm: I should have known better than to bump this topic. Well at least this offers evidence that compared to 2007 "discussion" on TF has become inane.

Monzanator
Feb 9th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Keep it private, girl!!

Isn't like spreading the word in the open an official way of Jehova Witnesses? I swear this is the most public-oriented religion in the world apart from Islam. Keeping your Jehova beliefs in private is kinda against the pattern so no wonder Serena thanks her God every now and again :shrug:

btw, Sharapova is definitely Eastern Orthodox as visibly indicated by the cross she's wearing. This is not a Latin cross which is far more common among Catholics.

http://www2.pictures.gi.stylebistro.com/Maria+Sharapova+Pendant+Necklaces+Cross+Pendant+TN PnN37gtv1l.jpg

Start da Game
Feb 9th, 2013, 03:37 PM
pirru GOAT once said that her religion is wimbledon......

The Dawntreader
Feb 9th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Niculescu should be an atheist based on her game alone.

*JR*
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned the incredible vanishing Patty "Carmen Sandiego" Schnyder and her orange juice cult in this thread. :tears:

I don't think religious views (even alternative ones, like those of Scientology) were ever a part of this :cuckoo: Suisse Saga. And I don't just mean with Herr Hofmann (aka Rainer II, the real "Carmen Sandiego" type character here) but even with Herr Harnecker. AFAIK, said "Rainer I" claimed 2B a great holistic healer (including of cancer) and motivator, but never said he was a messenger of Jesus, etc. :shrug:

A lot of them are from countries where you can disappear for saying the wrong thing so this is a pointless question

But many don't need to fear such repression. The main reasons they generally avoid politics are probably not to risk pissing off sponsors, and because (even if personally on the left) they don't want to pay for than the least taxes possible.

Among former players, Martina I has been a fairly active Democrat re. American politics, and Marissa Irvin went to work as an intern in the (George W Bush) White House after her retirement.

============================================

BH both wings
Feb 9th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Hey, leave the poor Satanists alone, will you? Not only do you deny them their right to worship their god in public, you rub in their faces that the greater evil that cheated and defeated their god now can, and by your word, _should_ be worshipped.

Could you please stop dishing out double standards and become a little more open minded about public display of religiousity?

VikingTennisFan
Feb 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I don't necessarily think you can judge someone's religion by what cross they wear if any. Maybe Sharapova's cross is a personal item that's been in the family for a long time, or a personal gift or something.

Also if some people say they're 'catholic' it can mean a whole range of things. I would personally have called myself a catholic up until a few years ago even though I haven't believed in God (or anything supernatural) for many many years, simply because I was brought up that way and it was the 'easy' answer to give if anyone asked.

Now that I've thought about it more carefully I wouldn't call myself a catholic anymore.

But if you're 23 or something and have spent almost all your life playing tennis you're going to say you have your parent's religion even if you don't believe/practice to any extent simply because you haven't considered otherwise.

I'm not saying this is wrong, you can call yourself what you like as far as I'm concerned, but we just shouldn't draw any conclusions as to what they actually believe or what influence that may have over their life or their tennis.

And finally it's largely none of our business, unless players chose to make it so.

Craig.
Feb 10th, 2013, 04:43 PM

OMG :hysteric:

Monzanator
Feb 10th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I don't necessarily think you can judge someone's religion by what cross they wear if any. Maybe Sharapova's cross is a personal item that's been in the family for a long time, or a personal gift or something.

Also if some people say they're 'catholic' it can mean a whole range of things. I would personally have called myself a catholic up until a few years ago even though I haven't believed in God (or anything supernatural) for many many years, simply because I was brought up that way and it was the 'easy' answer to give if anyone asked.

Now that I've thought about it more carefully I wouldn't call myself a catholic anymore.

But if you're 23 or something and have spent almost all your life playing tennis you're going to say you have your parent's religion even if you don't believe/practice to any extent simply because you haven't considered otherwise.

I'm not saying this is wrong, you can call yourself what you like as far as I'm concerned, but we just shouldn't draw any conclusions as to what they actually believe or what influence that may have over their life or their tennis.

And finally it's largely none of our business, unless players chose to make it so.

You're making this FAR more complicated than neccessary, sir :facepalm: But religion has always been more sensitive topic in UK than just about anywhere else in Europe with probably the exception of Holland. Sharapova wears her cross necklace for years and there's no point in second-guessing her religion which is obviously Eastern Orthodox as confirmed elsewhere too :shrug: I've read a story few years back that a flight attendant was fired from British Airways for wearing a Latin cross under her uniform and it's probably good Sharapova earns her money playing tennis cause she wouldn't have even got a job in British Airways with her wearing that cross all the time :happy:

WowWow
Feb 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM

GOProud.

Caesar1844
Feb 10th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Isn't like spreading the word in the open an official way of Jehova Witnesses? I swear this is the most public-oriented religion in the world apart from Islam. Keeping your Jehova beliefs in private is kinda against the pattern so no wonder Serena thanks her God every now and again :shrug:
Yeah, its a common part of the religion so nobody should be surprised about it. If I were her I'd keep it under wraps though. I knock off a few IQ points whenever I find out someone is religious, but moronic cults like JWs earn double digits.

I don't think any players are particularly devout. Playing tennis tournaments and travelling around the world constantly makes it a bit difficult to make it to Church every Sunday for starters. Being professional athletes who need a specific diet I am sure that a lot of the Hindus, Muslims, Jews etc. eat foods that aren't on their prescribed lists and aren't too fussy about things like kosher/halal preparation.

I dare say that players from more religious countries pretend to be more religious than they are in order to help their public image. Sania Mirza has publically said a few times that she opposes sex before marriage to placate Muslim groups, but she's been a public speaker at safe sex seminars and I am willing to bet she wasn't a virgin when she and Shoaib Malik tied the knot.

If I was cynical I would say that Sharapova's Orthodox Cross is part of her brand. She's put a lot of effort into ensuring that her status as a sex symbol has remained on the classy end of the spectrum. In Russia, respecting religion is often the mark of a 'good' girl. The cross emphasises that - this girl might be amazingly sexy, but she's still the girl you could bring home to your family.

Richie's
Feb 10th, 2013, 09:15 PM
The best thing I've read in a while! :lol:

GrassGOAT
Feb 10th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that Melanie Oudin is a Christian - probably Southern Baptist.

And since Chanelle Scheepers grew up as an Afrikaans girl in the Free State, she was probably raised in the Dutch Reformed (Calvinist) church. I would imagine she is like most Afrikaners - devout to a certain degree. But many young people in SA these days are starting to join these new hippie dippie "new age" churches that have begun popping up in the cities... so who knows.

crystal ball
Feb 10th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Aaaanyway...

Back to topic.
I've heard that Sara Errani is Jewish, but I don't know if she's religious.

Joana
Feb 10th, 2013, 10:11 PM
If I was cynical I would say that Sharapova's Orthodox Cross is part of her brand. She's put a lot of effort into ensuring that her status as a sex symbol has remained on the classy end of the spectrum. In Russia, respecting religion is often the mark of a 'good' girl. The cross emphasises that - this girl might be amazingly sexy, but she's still the girl you could bring home to your family.

I know lots of women who wear (Orthodox) cross even though they're not really religious and definitely without the intention to send a message of some sort. Quite often it really is little more than a simple fashion item.

Melange
Feb 10th, 2013, 10:42 PM
I know lots of women who wear (Orthodox) cross even though they're not really religious and definitely without the intention to send a message of some sort. Quite often it really is little more than a simple fashion item.

:secret: Dont distract them with facts. They are having their nice philosophical discussion with their funny opinions

Caesar1844
Feb 10th, 2013, 10:50 PM
What do you mean 'facts'?

If either of you had bothered to google it you would have seen her interviews where she says it is her baptismal cross and she never takes it off for that reason. She has also credited God with giving her tennis talent. She is either religious or likes to pretend she is.

Melange
Feb 10th, 2013, 10:53 PM
you must have a rather casual definition of being religious

Caesar1844
Feb 10th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Being a member of a religion and believing in god? I thought that was the universal definition of being religious.

ZeroSumGame
Feb 10th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Hey, leave the poor Satanists alone, will you? Not only do you deny them their right to worship their god in public, you rub in their faces that the greater evil that cheated and defeated their god now can, and by your word, _should_ be worshipped.

Could you please stop dishing out double standards and become a little more open minded about public display of religiousity?

Speak about the devil & it appears ...sheez pile of horse shit :devil:

Melange
Feb 10th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Being a member of a religion and believing in god? I thought that was the universal definition of being religious.

so going to a place of worship every week makes you religious?

Caesar1844
Feb 10th, 2013, 11:02 PM
so going to a place of worship every week makes you religious?
Not if you don't believe in God. But Sharapova has said in more than one interview she believes in God.

Blind Watchmaker
Feb 10th, 2013, 11:17 PM
http://www.atheistmemebase.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/146-Stupidity.jpg

moodin0931
Feb 10th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Lauren Davis does the sign of the cross and looks up to God after her wins :p

Brad[le]y.
Feb 11th, 2013, 12:00 AM
http://www.atheistmemebase.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/146-Stupidity.jpg

Pretty funny considering your favorite is easily the most religious player in the top 10 :lol:

Blind Watchmaker
Feb 11th, 2013, 12:39 AM
y.;24288386']Pretty funny considering your favorite is easily the most religious player in the top 10 :lol:

Yes. It's rather unfortunate.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Feb 11th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Interesting thread. Religion talk on message boards almost always become negative.

Sloejelly
Feb 11th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Margaret Court is now a pentecostal minister in Western Australia. She's very outspoken about the "evils" of homosexuality (hence the protest on the Margaret Court Arena at the last(?) AO, or the one before).

irma
Feb 11th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Being a good calvinist and a pro tennisplayer at the same time is impossible because it's a big sin to do anything but to sit in the church on sunday and listen for at least 3 hours on how we will all burn in hell.

Raiden
Feb 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Radwanska must be in shock today (cause God's rottweiler a.k.a the pope unprecedentedly decided to resign/abdicate)

Exordes
Feb 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Being a good calvinist and a pro tennisplayer at the same time is impossible because it's a big sin to do anything but to sit in the church on sunday and listen for at least 3 hours on how we will all burn in hell.

In Finland about 75 % of Finns are the members of The Evangelical Lutheran Church, but for the most of them it is very nominal membership. Many belong to the Church just because of white weddings and funerals and about 1,5 % of Finns go to the church on Sundays. The only political party in Finland that usually mention the Bible in politics are Christian Democrats who got about 4 % support in parliamentary elections. Surely Christmas is a popular event in the middle of the winter, but it has very little to do with religion nowadays.

By the way, I just heard the Pope has decided to abdicate!

Pops Maellard
Feb 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
It would be quite hard to reconcile devout religious practice and a tennis career. Tennis players can't attend regular church services or fast for starters :p. Maybe if they give up something other than food...

I guess many religions are different and don't call for regular church service, but many Christian ones do...

Monzanator
Feb 11th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Radwanska must be in shock today (cause God's rottweiler a.k.a the pope unprecedentedly decided to resign/abdicate)

I don't think she was :shrug: This Pope was way too old when he got elected in first place and never had the support of the youths like the one before him. This is a common mistake among non-Catholics to think all the Popes are the same. I think Ratzinger was very popular with the cardinals but not among the actual people (bit like Paul VI).

swissmr
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:07 PM
One of my pet peeves is when athletes/sportsmen look to the sky/thank God after their victory :lol:

swissmr
Feb 11th, 2013, 10:03 PM
In 2008, intelligence researcher Helmuth Nyborg examined whether IQ relates to denomination and income, using representative data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth, which includes intelligence tests on a representative selection of white American youth, where they have also replied to questions about religious belief. His results, published in the scientific journal Intelligence, demonstrated that atheists scored an average of 1.95 IQ points higher than agnostics, 3.82 points higher than liberal persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points higher than dogmatic persuasions.[9]

Nyborg also co-authored a study with Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at the University of Ulster, which compared religious belief and average national IQs in 137 countries.[10] The study analysed the issue from several viewpoints. Firstly, using data from a U.S. study of 6,825 adolescents, the authors found that atheists scored 6 IQ points higher than non atheists.

Source: Religiosity and intelligence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence#Studies_comparing_rel igious_belief_and_I.Q.)

ranfurly
Feb 12th, 2013, 12:30 AM
So Anyway...

Coetzer, Grandin, Mariaan De Swardt, Black, Scheepers are I would hazard a guess if not religious, belong to the Dutch Reformed Church.

GrassGOAT
Feb 14th, 2013, 05:02 AM
So Anyway...

Coetzer, Grandin, Mariaan De Swardt, Black, Scheepers are I would hazard a guess if not religious, belong to the Dutch Reformed Church.

Grandin and Black are both from English descent, so I highly doubt they are in the Dutch Reformed church. My guess would be Protestant. You are probably right about the other three - definitely Coetzer, I know a couple of her cousins and they are a VERY religious Dutch Reformed family, although Amanda herself is now married to a Jewish guy in the States, so I am not sure if she converted to Judaism prior to her marriage, or kept her previous religion.

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2013, 05:07 AM
One of my pet peeves is when athletes/sportsmen look to the sky/thank God after their victory :lol:

Even though I'm an atheist myself, I try to be respectful of other people's religious beliefs, but this is one of my peeves as well.

I mean, what do they think, that god is a match-fixing tennis fan?:lol:

crystal ball
Feb 14th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Even though I'm an atheist myself, I try to be respectful of other people's religious beliefs, but this is one of my peeves as well.

No, they thank Him for this moment of happiness.

Caesar1844
Feb 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM
It is just evidence of the staggering hubris of your average religious person, in assuming that any omnipotent and omniscient transdimensional being would give two fucks about them.

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2013, 09:15 AM
No, they thank Him for this moment of happiness.

I suppose this is one way of looking at it. But you still have to ask what exactly they are thanking him for.

Either they won under their own steam, in which case god didn't do squat and deserves no thanks, or god interfered to alter the outcome of a tennis match, in which case he's a match-fixer.

dsanders06
Feb 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM

I suppose this is one way of looking at it. But you still have to ask what exactly they are thanking him for.

Either they won under their own steam, in which case god didn't do squat and deserves no thanks, or god interfered to alter the outcome of a tennis match, in which case he's a match-fixer.

Yup. And as Agassi said in his autobiography (bitching about when Chang did it), it's disrespectful/insensitive to your opponent, suggesting that God if there is one would've preferred your opponent to win than you. :lol:

If there's a God, I'm pretty sure he has higher priorities than intervening in tennis matches.

Monzanator
Feb 14th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Only an atheist HAS to ask those kind of questions :facepalm: It's funny because the atheists are so interested in beliefs of other people whereas I for instance don't care what atheists' spiritual life is :shrug: And there's no ban on expressing religious faith, it's just the atheists don't have a similar sign/body language that they can display in the public and therefore indicate they're atheists.

Serenita
Feb 14th, 2013, 02:55 PM

For you, but for 60 % of believers thats not the case. Many believers feel/think .. (have Faith) that God does have influence in their lifes. So yes it can be he is match fixing, taking life,and giving life. :shrug:

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2013, 03:44 PM
For you, but for 60 % of believers thats not the case. Many believers feel/think .. (have Faith) that God does have influence in their lifes. So yes it can be he is match fixing, taking life,and giving life. :shrug:

I don't want to get into a theological discussion here, but even if I was religiously inclined, I would find it hard to worship a match fixer (or an arbitrary giver/taker of life). Bit too old testament for my liking: you do right by me and I (maybe) won't kill your sons or destroy your crops.

crystal ball
Feb 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I don't want to get into a theological discussion here

Good, because this is not a place for it :lol:
But just consider a person thanking their parents on the graduation day/wedding day/after some professional success. This person doesn't suggest that the parents corrupted professors/the bride ;)/the boss. It's more complex than that. You don't have to understand the emotional need to express thanks to God in this moment, but don't treat religious people as simpletons who don't understand the mechanisms of the world. We are talking about athletes, who are working many hours every day. They are not believing that their success is a simple transaction - I will believe in God and he will give me win. But they feel, that they owe Him something - and it's a very personal something. It's also not a gesture against an opponent - not in the slightest and no religious person should take it like this.

stromatolite
Feb 14th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Good, because this is not a place for it :lol:
But just consider a person thanking their parents on the graduation day/wedding day/after some professional success. This person doesn't suggest that the parents corrupted professors/the bride ;)/the boss. It's more complex than that. You don't have to understand the emotional need to express thanks to God in this moment, but don't treat religious people as simpletons who don't understand the mechanisms of the world. We are talking about athletes, who are working many hours every day. They are not believing that their success is a simple transaction - I will believe in God and he will give me win. But they feel, that they owe Him something - and it's a very personal something. It's also not a gesture against an opponent - not in the slightest and no religious person should take it like this.

I never meant to suggest that it was a gesture against the opponent.

It's not that big a deal to me, and I guess if I have any issue with it at all it's because I think religious belief should be, as you say, a very personal something, whereas the way it usually happens it is very much for public consumption. When a player crosses him/herself after scoring the winning point in a match, they must be aware that the camera is zooming in to catch the moment in hi-definition detail. If it was really such a personal thing they could better do it in the locker room or when they get back to their hotel room.

As an atheist that bothers me a little bit, because I think religions already get a free ride from politicians, prominent media figures and such, not to mention religious leaders, and when high-profile athletes make such a public gesture, it's just one more bit of indoctrination drip-drip-dripping into the brains of young impressionable kids (and adults for that matter). There is no such comparable forum for an atheist world view, for the simple reason that it is defined by nothing other than the absence of religious belief. There is no gesture for that.

Btw, I don't think the parents/graduation thing really works at all as a comparison. In that case it's important that the thanking takes place in public, because the whole point is that the parents know that others know that the kids are grateful for all the parents have sacrificed (e.g. by paying their way through college, not (usually) by bribing their professors). God is presumably omniescient, so shouldn't require any such reassurances.

Caesar1844
Feb 14th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Only an atheist HAS to ask those kind of questions :facepalm: It's funny because the atheists are so interested in beliefs of other people whereas I for instance don't care what atheists' spiritual life is :shrug: And there's no ban on expressing religious faith, it's just the atheists don't have a similar sign/body language that they can display in the public and therefore indicate they're atheists.
This is what religious people don't understand about atheism. It's not a belief system. It's the absence of a belief system. People don't identify themselves by characteristics they don't have. If someone asks me to describe myself I don't say "I'm a non-Chinese person". Because that would be stupid.

Calling someone an atheist only makes sense when you are distinguishing them from religious people, same as calling someone non-Chinese only makes sense when you are distinguishing them from Chinese people.

'Atheists' aren't a homogeneous group any more than 'non-Chinese people' are. They are just people who, out of all the millions of gods and other fictional creatures invented by the human race, believe in one less than you do.

naranka
Feb 15th, 2013, 02:28 AM
I don't believe in any god. I find organized religion repugnant and the root of most evils (war, murder, persecution, intolerance, among other things) -- but I would never call myself an atheist. Why?

Because atheists share something in common with the religious, whom they decry: Atheists think they know for sure, without any doubt, that there is no god. Yet it is hypocritical for atheists to deride people with religious beliefs for having faith in a god when atheists are as certain in their belief that there is not a god as religious people are that there is a god.
No one can know for sure either way: You have to be dead to know. As an agnostic, I don't believe in a god, but I can't be 100% certain. No one (living) can.

Caesar1844
Feb 15th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Because atheists share something in common with the religious, whom they decry: Atheists think they know for sure, without any doubt, that there is no god. Yet it is hypocritical for atheists to deride people with religious beliefs for having faith in a god when atheists are as certain in their belief that there is not a god as religious people are that there is a god.
No one can know for sure either way: You have to be dead to know. As an agnostic, I don't believe in a god, but I can't be 100% certain. No one (living) can.
No they don't. Atheists will freely admit that they cannot ever know for certain that there is no god and they are therefore, in the most literal sense of the word, agnostic.

The reason atheists don't typically describe themselves as agnostic is because 'agnostic' makes most people assume that you attach some sort of legitimacy to the argument in favour of a god.

Just because you cannot disprove an idea doesn't mean that you give any credibility to it. I can't disprove the existence of invisible dragons, but that doesn't mean I consider the idea that they exist anything other than laughably moronic.

Serenita
Feb 15th, 2013, 03:49 AM
I don't want to get into a theological discussion here, but even if I was religiously inclined, I would find it hard to worship a match fixer (or an arbitrary giver/taker of life). Bit too old testament for my liking: you do right by me and I (maybe) won't kill your sons or destroy your crops.
No need to get in Theology, my least favorite topic. But i'm just explaining what motivation and feeling some people have about the subject.

Serenita
Feb 15th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Anyway's this discussion has run its course, and is now in the realm .. of ( do i believe in a higher being)

crystal ball
Feb 15th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I never meant to suggest that it was a gesture against the opponent.

It's not that big a deal to me, and I guess if I have any issue with it at all it's because I think religious belief should be, as you say, a very personal something, whereas the way it usually happens it is very much for public consumption. When a player crosses him/herself after scoring the winning point in a match, they must be aware that the camera is zooming in to catch the moment in hi-definition detail. If it was really such a personal thing they could better do it in the locker room or when they get back to their hotel room.

As an atheist that bothers me a little bit, because I think religions already get a free ride from politicians, prominent media figures and such, not to mention religious leaders, and when high-profile athletes make such a public gesture, it's just one more bit of indoctrination drip-drip-dripping into the brains of young impressionable kids (and adults for that matter). There is no such comparable forum for an atheist world view, for the simple reason that it is defined by nothing other than the absence of religious belief. There is no gesture for that.

Btw, I don't think the parents/graduation thing really works at all as a comparison. In that case it's important that the thanking takes place in public, because the whole point is that the parents know that others know that the kids are grateful for all the parents have sacrificed (e.g. by paying their way through college, not (usually) by bribing their professors). God is presumably omniescient, so shouldn't require any such reassurances.

The fact that something is personal, doesn't mean that you shouldn't or can't demonstrate it.
Religion is a matter both personal and public. Religious people are required to demonstrate their religion in the world. We are to be a sign to other people. Bible says so explicitly.
People who want religion to be shown only in closed rooms don't understand that it would be against freedom of religion and against the laws of most of religions. Truly religious people simply can't hide their beliefs.
Also you can't use an argmuent that atheist can't do anything like it, so religious people also shouldn't. It's like single person who wants to ban people in love holding hands in public, because he/she can't do it and feels more alone seeing it.

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2013, 08:17 AM
The fact that something is personal, doesn't mean that you shouldn't or can't demonstrate it.
Religion is a matter both personal and public. Religious people are required to demonstrate their religion in the world. We are to be a sign to other people. Bible says so explicitly.
People who want religion to be shown only in closed rooms don't understand that it would be against freedom of religion and against the laws of most of religions. Truly religious people simply can't hide their beliefs.
Also you can't use an argmuent that atheist can't do anything like it, so religious people also shouldn't. It's like single person who wants to ban people in love holding hands in public, because he/she can't do it and feels more alone seeing it.

You misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting that they should be banned from doing this. I'm not even suggesting that by doing this they are consciously making religious propaganda. But I do wish they would exercise some restraint.

I think it is important to make a distinction between public with a small p and Public with a capital P here. I have gotten into arguments with some of my atheist friends when I defended the right of religious people to wear crosses, headscarves, wigs etc. (even burkhas) in public (the small p). When we start trying to ban stuff like this we infringe basic human rights.

It would be also wrong to try to legally prevent famous people from publicly proclaiming their faith in front of millions of viewers (the capital P), but I don't feel any qualms about saying that I wish they would exercise some restraint in this. The reason being, as I've already said, that non-religious people (who by the way are seriously disadvantaged and even persecuted in large parts of the world) usually don't have access to the same opportunity to express their world view. Accordingly (to use just one example) an openly atheist candidate for the US presidency would have about as much chance of getting elected as I would.

The comparison of atheists with envious single people is beside the point, and frankly a bit insulting, to both atheists and singles.

crystal ball
Feb 15th, 2013, 08:58 AM
You misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting that they should be banned from doing this. I'm not even suggesting that by doing this they are consciously making religious propaganda. But I do wish they would exercise some restraint.

I think it is important to make a distinction between public with a small p and Public with a capital P here. I have gotten into arguments with some of my atheist friends when I defended the right of religious people to wear crosses, headscarves, wigs etc. (even burkhas) in public (the small p). When we start trying to ban stuff like this we infringe basic human rights.

It would be also wrong to try to legally prevent famous people from publicly proclaiming their faith in front of millions of viewers (the capital P), but I don't feel any qualms about saying that I wish they would exercise some restraint in this. The reason being, as I've already said, that non-religious people (who by the way are seriously disadvantaged and even persecuted in large parts of the world) usually don't have access to the same opportunity to express their world view. Accordingly (to use just one example) an openly atheist candidate for the US presidency would have about as much chance of getting elected as I would.

The comparison of atheists with envious single people is beside the point, and frankly a bit insulting, to both atheists and singles.

I would very much like to discuss it further (for instance about who and in what parts of the world is more and less persecuted/disadvantaged), but we are seriously derailing this thread :lol:

stromatolite
Feb 15th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I would very much like to discuss it further (for instance about who and in what parts of the world is more and less persecuted/disadvantaged), but we are seriously derailing this thread :lol:

You're right of course:)

Sometimes I get so carried away:facepalm::lol:

maya-serbia
Feb 15th, 2013, 02:38 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

maya-serbia
Feb 15th, 2013, 02:50 PM

You are stupid,What about the Vatican guys and their involvement in any SECOND war on planet earth?

(+ THEY LIKE SMALL BOYS :oh: )

Monzanator
Feb 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
This is what religious people don't understand about atheism. It's not a belief system. It's the absence of a belief system. People don't identify themselves by characteristics they don't have. If someone asks me to describe myself I don't say "I'm a non-Chinese person". Because that would be stupid.

Calling someone an atheist only makes sense when you are distinguishing them from religious people, same as calling someone non-Chinese only makes sense when you are distinguishing them from Chinese people.

'Atheists' aren't a homogeneous group any more than 'non-Chinese people' are. They are just people who, out of all the millions of gods and other fictional creatures invented by the human race, believe in one less than you do.

I don't even try to understand atheism. Why should I? :shrug: However the atheists seem addicted into the problems of believers and are very keen to enlighten them about their wrong perception. And even if they don't, they call them idiots and morons instead ;)

pov
Feb 15th, 2013, 06:18 PM
And then, at the mention of regaining the No.1 ranking on Monday, that's when the walls came down - the year-long battle with injury and illness, all the hard work, all the emotions - it all came out.

"I'm so sensitive nowadays, I'm always crying!" Williams said as she fought back tears. "I never thought I would be here again. I've just been through so much and never thought I'd be here again.

"Thank you Jehovah for giving me another chance."

For those who claim that the WS are JWs in name only.

Raiden
Feb 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM
For those who claim that the WS are JWs in name only.Who made that claim?

They do practice it. You can see that in things like the lack of Christmas celebrations (not even "merry Xmas" wishes) and many other small stuff which give you an indication that at least Serena is an observing JW.

pov
Feb 15th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Who made that claim?

Read through the thread. ;)

Six Feet Under
Feb 16th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I don't believe in any god. I find organized religion repugnant and the root of most evils (war, murder, persecution, intolerance, among other things) -- but I would never call myself an atheist. Why?

Exactly this.

jj74
Feb 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I don't even try to understand atheism. Why should I? :shrug: However the atheists seem addicted into the problems of believers and are very keen to enlighten them about their wrong perception. And even if they don't, they call them idiots and morons instead ;)

That's because religious people try to shove their moral system in the lives of people who are not religious

machinist
Mar 17th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I'm not keen on religion.

carling
Mar 17th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I think Sharapova is a Christian coz I have often seen her kiss the cross she wears around her neck and also when she wins, after she has thanked the crowd, she always kisses her hand and raises it to the sky aswell as her head - thanking God.

THIS. ;)

miffedmax
Mar 18th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Are you sure? Because I wouldn't be surprised if, for instance, Lisicki belonged to Lutheran Church. After all her father has some German roots. I just speculate here, but it's not like 100% Poles are Catholic. We even had a Lutheran prime-minister, remember? :)

I know only of Agnieszka declaring herself as a practicing Catholic:

http://ekai.pl/resize/351x234/zdjecia/radwaska.jpg

Sabs has described herself as "a good Catholic girl" and claims she is a regular churchgoer, fwiw.

producer88
Mar 18th, 2013, 06:20 AM
It's funny because I find Chrisian athletes so inspiring (as a Christian myself). It's the reason Tim Tebow is my favorite athlete in the history of sports!

I'm very liberal but I also have a lot of faith in God & Jesus. So when a tennis player says "thank you God" I understand where they're coming from. It isn't saying that God had something to do with the results, but that he allowed that person to live & be part of a great moment. As well as knowing all the hard work paid off. It's like an old Christian tale my mom use to say:

"A man was praying, and God responded you have to first help yourself before I can help you."

Also I don't see why any atheist would have an issue with a believers expression of faith. If there was an atheist sign or language I wouldn't care if he or she expressed it to the public. I guest I'm just very liberal and go by the rule live & let live. As a Chrisian myself I want to be able to spread my faith, & thank God for my all my blessings.

Also does anyone know what's Andy Murray belief? He always point at the sky when he wins a match.

goat
Mar 18th, 2013, 08:39 AM
The rodionova sisters are satanic and wear upside down crosses.

Crunchy Booboo
Mar 18th, 2013, 08:48 AM
The rodionova sisters are satanic and wear upside down crosses.

lmfao

this literally made me lol

Madoka
Mar 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Giorgi is Catholic but she stated she is a non-practicing one...

Joelina
Mar 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM
what about Petra Kvitova, does anybody know?

Sam L
Mar 18th, 2013, 12:05 PM
what about Petra Kvitova, does anybody know?
She could be atheist. :eek: Or Catholic.

Blind Watchmaker
Mar 18th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Giorgi is Catholic but she stated she is a non-practicing one...

I thought she was Jewish...

Caesar1844
Mar 21st, 2013, 02:55 AM
Kvitova is stupid, so I presume she is religious.