PDA

View Full Version : rememeber Irina Spirlea from Romania

GreatMate
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Remember the days irina spirlea was around, i think was the most moody and sour player on tour but i still liked her, and that one handed backhand

Bruno71
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
I'm sure none of the thousands of Venus fans on this site can forget her! :)

Sefo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Here's already a thread on it.
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=288399

Tenis Srbija
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
I like her :lol: That BUMP in Venus was just :haha:

ozfan44
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Remember the days irina spirlea was around, i think was the most moody and sour player on tour but i still liked her, and that one handed backhand

ahhhhhhh the old shoulder nudge girl hahahahaha

She was pretty moody and sour but is nowhere near the same category as Tatiana Poutchek :tape:

frontier
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:38 AM
i think she is working at macdonalds in romania.

.Andrew.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:52 AM
The first thing I remember about Irina Spirlea is the BUMP she had with Venus Williams. She thinks she is the Fucking Venus Williams :haha:

Denise4925
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
You mean "the big white turkey"? :p ala Richard Williams.

fufuqifuqishahah
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:24 AM
lol

shes crazy

pav
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:40 AM
You mean "the big white turkey"? :p ala Richard Williams.

Ritchie Willy's a racist,ner ner ne ner ner,imagine if Irena's daddy had called Venus a big black crow,millions of willyfans would be drawing their sabres to fight the fight of the self righteous.Have a nice day Denise(as they say in the USA)

nsquare
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
she was a crazy b**** but i still loved her game.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:47 AM
...imagine if Irena's daddy had called Venus a big black crow,millions of willyfans would be drawing their sabres to fight the fight of the self righteous....

By including all that other bile in your post, you nearly negate what is otherwise a point worth looking at, and I'm one of those "willy" fans.

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Ritchie Willy's a racist,ner ner ne ner ner,imagine if Irena's daddy had called Venus a big black crow,millions of willyfans would be drawing their sabres to fight the fight of the self righteous.Have a nice day Denise(as they say in the USA)

The "white turkey" comment was racist, but don't expect Denise to mind. :tape: I don't remember any big hoopla over it in the media and in fact it's treated like it's a mere joke and everybody seems to have forgotten about it conveniently enough.

Spirlea was crazy though. :lol:

mykarma
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:30 AM
I like her :lol: That BUMP in Venus was just :haha:
What was really :haha:was the final score. :lol:

mykarma
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:35 AM
The "white turkey" comment was racist, but don't expect Denise to mind. :tape: I don't remember any big hoopla over it in the media and in fact it's treated like it's a mere joke and everybody seems to have forgotten about it conveniently enough.

That's a lie. It was all over the media. :tape:

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
That's a lie. It was all over the media. :tape:

I didn't say it wasn't in the media. I said there was no hoopla in the media about it. Was it ever made a big deal of other than "Richard Williams is strange"? Were their outcries of racism? Does anyone still remember this comment as anything other than funny stuff being said by a crazy tennis dad? I highly doubt it.

Jakeev
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:41 AM
ahhhhhhh the old shoulder nudge girl hahahahaha

She was pretty moody and sour but is nowhere near the same category as Tatiana Poutchek :tape:

But Poutchek never had the class or tv time Spirlea did....:tape:

wayitis
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:35 AM
i think she is working at macdonalds in romania.

actually not ;) , she is a happily married mother in Italy and does not want anything to do with tennis anymore, doesn't follow it nor comment on it...

pav
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
By including all that other bile in your post, you nearly negate what is otherwise a point worth looking at, and I'm one of those "willy" fans.

I hope you are not saying that calling old man Williams a racist is bile,it is true, he has gone out of his way several times to prove it,but that is a problem only he can deal with. Prodding at Denise is not bile she thrives on a bit of that.

selecta
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Irina............ :wavey:

Adal
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Where is she noW?

gmak
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Irina rocked :rocker:

i miss her :sad:
she had so much talent, but lacked fighting spirit :shrug:

she tanked so many matches...

jimbo mack
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
actually not ;) , she is a happily married mother in Italy and does not want anything to do with tennis anymore, doesn't follow it nor comment on it...

how did you find this info out?

Joana
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
I liked Irina, she was one of my almost-faves back in the day. She had a vicious forhand when it was on. Sadly, most of the time she looked like she couldn't care less about her game.

.Andrew.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Where is she noW?

Irina retired back in 2000. ;)

calico_101
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
They both waked into each other if you ask me......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDjia1FlA7A

*Jool*
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
It's really a shame that Irina Spirlea only gets remembered because of that incident and , hence , that all Williams fans rush to this thread calling her crazy or b****

:rolleyes:

Spirlea was a great player with a nice style and does not need Miss Venus Williams to be remembered.

a player a la Zvereva maybe , who could have gone further but found it hard to reach the next step , but a natural talent IMO .

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM

:haha: You better watch out, she'll take you to court and defend herself! :spit:

mykarma
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
I didn't say it wasn't in the media. I said there was no hoopla in the media about it. Was it ever made a big deal of other than "Richard Williams is strange"? Were their outcries of racism? Does anyone still remember this comment as anything other than funny stuff being said by a crazy tennis dad? I highly doubt it.
For the second time, that's a lie. :worship::worship:

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
For the second time, that's a lie. :worship::worship:
As usual, you aren't reading. :yawn: By "no hoopla" I don't mean no talk. Was there a public outcry over these comments? Did everybody call him a racist and make a big deal out of it for years? I didn't think so.

mykarma
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:17 PM
As usual, you aren't reading. :yawn: By "no hoopla" I don't mean no talk. Was there a public outcry over these comments? Did everybody call him a racist and make a big deal out of it for years? I didn't think so.
I read and responded to what you wrote, not what you meant.
:shrug::lol: :tape:

Thkmra
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Wow,Irina Spirlea....The Fucking Venus Williams,or the Big White Turkey:lol: That match was one of the first tennis matches,I've ever saw.*Sigh*...the memories.:bounce:

suffer well
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
This is what REALLY happened….Irina was a talented lazy, couldn’t be bothered, fuck this for a game of soldiers kind of player(and one of my favourite players)….one wonderful evening in NYC she played up-and-coming starlet Venus Williams who designed all her own outfits through-out the event….anyhow, they played a most enthralling match and at one of the change-overs Irina barged into Venus (it’s not like she gave her the full Romanian handshake - Head butt)….but it was aimed at unhinging Venus….as a ploy it didn’t work and Venus won the match….afterwards there were unnecessary tirades aimed at each other from the different corners, including racist remark/s from Mr Richard Williams….well after this debacle had died a death….I was fortunate enough to see both these Ladies again, worst luck it was playing doubles….Serena and Venus defeated Irina/and partner (no I don’t mean she’s lesbian by mentioning partner….what I mean is I’m a total ignoramus and have forgotten her playing partner this day)….the crowd thought there would be ‘bad blud’….but no….all players enjoyed a decent match and as Irina and Venus would say….bygones

Denise4925
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:39 PM

Oh please obviously no one has forgotten about it, I brought it up, and there you go putting words in my mouth again. Did I say I didn't mind? My post merely reminded everyone of another ugly aspect of that match. For the record, I don't think it was okay for Richard to say that. Two wrongs don't make a right. The first being the bump. What was that about? I don't remember any other players during that time treating any other players with such disrespect. But personally, I think she felt she could get away with it because Venus is black and new to the game. I think this was illustrated by the fact that she said, "she thinks she's the fucking Venus Williams". What did Venus do to deserve that comment? In other words, I feel that Irina wanted to put her back in what she felt was her place.

And, you're wrong. If the media didn't make a big deal out Richard saying that, how does everyone know about it? :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
:haha: You better watch out, she'll take you to court and defend herself! :spit:

:rolleyes:

crazillo
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Irina was a great player with excellent flat strokes, but she lacked the right mental spirit for her game. If she did well, she was lucky, if not, she didn't really try to change something and had not much ability to fight. That prevented her from achieving more I think. Actually quite sad.

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM

Oh yeah, because "You mean the big white turkey a la Richard Williams :p " is clearly the comment of someone who takes this statement as seriously as they did the "Beauty and the beast" Serena/Maria article. :tape: Oh well, nothing new here. Moving on.

suffer well
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Irina was a great player with excellent flat strokes, but she lacked the right mental spirit for her game. If she did well, she was lucky, if not, she didn't really try to change something and had not much ability to fight. That prevented her from achieving more I think. Actually quite sad.

Outstanding post....:)

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Damn, I want to watch the Spirlea-Jeyaseelan '98 Canadian Open match again. Irina destroyed Sonya in the 3rd, but the first two sets were great.

*Jool*
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
^^^^

you have it ? :eek:

I'd love to see that !!!

cellophane
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
^^^^

you have it ? :eek:

I'd love to see that !!!

No, I don't. :lol: :sad: I wish I had though! It was a great match.... Sonya almost won. I was :bigcry: for her in the end.

Venus3000
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah I remember that turkey. She knew she couldn't beat Vee on the court so she tried to result to gamemanship and still got beat. :lol: