PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells-Wasted WC's:Mirjana Lucic,Elena Bovina

Cris Senior
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
What an strange obssesion with Mirjana Lucic some people have especially at I Wells. There is not the slightest chance that an out of shape,gone for several years player, who was nothing especial before except just another hard hitter, can come back even for a 1st round win.
Same goes for Bovina .Lilia Osterloh is anotherf unfair WC.
Why to complain? Because it is very unfair to the new upcoming talent who deserve the wcs better.
Boo to the IW committee.

tennismaster8820
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
:rolleyes:
I think Mirjana deserves another chance after all that she's gone through!

©@®eLess
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
up and coming player have equal chance to win a match as these three girls...so those players should get a chance to boost their rankings from trying to pick up points throug qualifying. I think its good decision for Mirjana and Elena...no matter what they do...that will give them hard need confidence...that they can count on organizers from big tournaments. I wish them luck

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
IW has no choice with Bovina. She had an injury last year.

égalité
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
Bovina has a protected ranking, doesn't she?

Lucic is iffy, but it's not like they're giving it to a player who's done nothing in her career. She has a grand slam title.

Aaaand Osterloh is an American ranked not far outside the Top 100. She's the perfect wildcard for a 96-player relatively weak Tier I field.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
I don't think they are wasted... Not at all!!!

C'mon Lena, Lilia...and Mikica :D

Babolatpro880
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
What an strange obssesion with Mirjana Lucic some people have especially at I Wells. There is not the slightest chance that an out of shape,gone for several years player, who was nothing especial before except just another hard hitter, can come back even for a 1st round win.
Why to complain? Because it is very unfair to the new upcoming talent who deserve the wcs better.
Boo to the IW committee.

First of all, do your research before talkin shit. Reports have said that Lucic is in better shape than she's ever been.

Jorn
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Bovina did not get a WC and has now withdrawn...

Tenis Srbija
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:23 AM
First of all, do your research before talkin shit. Reports have said that Lucic is in better shape than she's ever been.

What reporst... By some experts... :rolleyes:

~Eclipsed~
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:36 AM
gotta love posters who start threads in which they have no idea what they're talking about.:rolleyes:

ZAK
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:42 AM
What reporst... By some experts... :rolleyes:

well you can really by looking at pictures that she is the slimmest she has been since 1998

Mr. Magassi
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:45 AM
i heard lucic was in great shape... haven't seen pics though

ZAK
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:51 AM
i heard lucic was in great shape... haven't seen pics though

from 2006 training:

http://www.flaviosaretta.com/Mirjanaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Drake1980
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:11 AM
Lucic:hearts:

darrinbaker00
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
A thread started by Cris Senior made it past five posts without being locked. Now I truly have seen everything. ;)

Lulu.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM
I doubt Bovina will do much. But I think Mirjana will make good use of her WC

Dementieva_Dude
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Mirjana looks great in that picture! I hope for her own sake that she's ready to play :)

hingis-seles
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM
There is not the slightest chance that an out of shape,gone for several years player, who was nothing especial before except just another hard hitter, can come back even for a 1st round win.

They said the same thing about Serena before the Australian Open this year.

Mr.Kardashian
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
even if they dont win any matches, playing against these top players may give them some more inspiration and/or experience for the next few months

jazar
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
they can have the experience of losing to someone decent instead of someone crap

disco_rage
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Nah i think both Lucic and Bovina deserve a chance!

-sugi-
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
:weirdo:

They are not wasted at all

Fantastic
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Mirjana Lucic is the sort of player who could play a season and end up winning a singles title along the way and just as easily lose first rounds for the rest of the year. She's a streaky player. But she's a naturally talented player. Mirjana is like a Capriati, except that she has never had the stability in her life until now. Expect minor success from Mirjana early on in her comeback (just like Capriati) but if she finds her consistency in the next year or two, then expect big things to happen. It did for Capriati.

Mirjana's wildcard is by no means wasted IMO. This is where she should've been years ago, had it not been for the rotten times in her life. We know what she's got. Mirjana has proven herself to be a good player in the past, but now she deserves a second chance to get back there, and that is perhaps the main reason for the wildcard. Sooner or later, she'll prove her worth. If her worth is good, she won't need these wildcards anymore. If it's not so good, she'll work her way back up through qualifying or even challengers if need be.

.Andrew.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
I don't think they are wasted. Not wasted at all! :hearts:

Mirjana, Lilia :hearts:

Dexter
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
Bowina entered with Special Ranking not with a WC. She withdrew anyway.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
gotta love posters who start threads in which they have no idea what they're talking about.:rolleyes:

Its a common practice on WTA WORLD . :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Lets go Lilia and Mirjana!! :rocker:

lecciones
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Its a common practice on WTA WORLD . :)

posting opinions passing them as facts is another.

jrm
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Why not give it to Stevenson?

Idea for new thread: most squandred WC :lol:

HTE
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah total waste to give WCs to good players who are doing well :rolleyes:

Lilia was doing great before getting injured in Las Vegas.
Mirjana has found form and is still an amazing talent.

Both WCs couldn't be more well deserved. :)

What I want to know is why Brie didn't get one :confused:

Dexter
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
What I want to know is why Brie didn't get one :confused:She didn't know who to pay :secret: ;)

HTE
Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
She didn't know who to pay :secret: ;)

For a moment there I thought you wrote "She didn't know how to play :secret: ;)" :lol:

Monica_Rules
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Oh shut up, these girls deserve their WC's, they are coming back from injuries and other problems.

Mirjana won a match in memphis when she hadn't played a competative match in well over a year.

Slumpsova
Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
does Anna Tatishvili get another WC this year?

Mark Spruce
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
All of my best wishes for your Mirjana !!!

Derek.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
does Anna Tatishvili get another WC this year?

She got a qualifying WC.

ZAK
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
She got a qualifying WC.

Maindraw

**Jelica**
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Maindraw

Yup, Tatishvili will be in MD, and that really is a waste IMO, because what has that girl ever achieved in like, 3 years of WCs?
Raluca deserves one way more :angel:

Europe rocks
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
They were not wasted personally. I thought the whole point of wildcards was to give players a chance to compete and they rightly deserve the opportunity :rocker:

LefandePatty
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Mirjana :hearts:

davidmario
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
yeah they should give one to Brie Whitehead :mad:

Karolina_Sprem
Mar 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
It is a fact that there is a "special connection" between Lucic and tournament director at Indian Wells. This is her 3rd WC for this tournament (think so)....
Hope Lucic can do something, just hope that she don't get some Top 20 player. She needs some win and as soon as she starts winning she is back on the track.
In my opinion she does deserve WC because she is a younger tournament winner EVER, she had some wins against big names, and she is a ex "child prodigy". Think quite a lot of reasons to get a WC.

talking about Bovina I think that she deserves another chance, same as Lucic. She is a great talented player but for some reasons i think she gonna end up like Daja Bedanova. Think she gonna come to the point thats she will have to say goodbye to tennis because of injuries. Wish i'm wrong....

Babolatpro880
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
It is a fact that there is a "special connection" between Lucic and tournament director at Indian Wells. This is her 3rd WC for this tournament (think so)....
Hope Lucic can do something, just hope that she don't get some Top 20 player. She needs some win and as soon as she starts winning she is back on the track.
In my opinion she does deserve WC because she is a younger tournament winner EVER, she had some wins against big names, and she is a ex "child prodigy". Think quite a lot of reasons to get a WC.

talking about Bovina I think that she deserves another chance, same as Lucic. She is a great talented player but for some reasons i think she gonna end up like Daja Bedanova. Think she gonna come to the point thats she will have to say goodbye to tennis because of injuries. Wish i'm wrong....

1. She gets three wilcards and it becomes "a fact" that she has a special relationship with the tournament director?

2. It'd be tough for her to draw a top twenty player when they all have first round byes.

disremembrance
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Good luck to Lucic, hope she can make it back!

SelesFan70
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Wow, good for Lujic in the pic!

Now if she can just learn to keep the ball in the court... :o

Volcana
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Boo to the IW committee.Your problem is, you don't understand why wildcards exist.

It's to give tournament directors a little more control over whether or not they make money. Giving a wildcard to Elena Bovina is giving a wildcard to a former top twenty player who had a good showing against Davenport at the US Open a couple years ago. In other words, her name might sell a few extra tickets. Same deal with Lucic. She has SOME name recognition, and thus might sell a few extra tickets to that first round match that you think she has no chance of winning.

The player who 'deserves' a wildcard is the player who can sell the most tickets to first round match, making the tournament a few extra dollars. That may be a local college player, or a local pro, who the locals would buy tickets to see because she's one of their own. Or a veteran, with some name recognition, making a comeback.

A young, up-and-coming player who hasn't accomplished enough to make it into the qualies doesn't deserve a wildcard. How many tickets is she going to sell for the tournament?

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Your problem is, you don't understand why wildcards exist.

It's to give tournament directors a little more control over whether or not they make money. Giving a wildcard to Elena Bovina is giving a wildcard to a former top twenty player who had a good showing against Davenport at the US Open a couple years ago. In other words, her name might sell a few extra tickets. Same deal with Lucic. She has SOME name recognition, and thus might sell a few extra tickets to that first round match that you think she has no chance of winning.

The player who 'deserves' a wildcard is the player who can sell the most tickets to first round match, making the tournament a few extra dollars. That may be a local college player, or a local pro, who the locals would buy tickets to see because she's one of their own. Or a veteran, with some name recognition, making a comeback.

A young, up-and-coming player who hasn't accomplished enough to make it into the qualies doesn't deserve a wildcard. How many tickets is she going to sell for the tournament?

BULLSEYE!!! :worship:

That is exactly it. Just to add to the Lucic issue. Nothing packs people in seats more than a good COMEBACK STORY. People want to witness them- feel a part of history. Lucic, though odds are against her- has that potential. Her's could be one of the most tear jerking comeback stories in recent memory. I'd pay to see it. :shrug:

Jakeev
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Wow Crissy hasn't responded to anyone yet. We should have some virtual betting on how many posts he tries to put down:lol:

DennisPostedThis
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Mirjana was never a favorite of mine, but I do wish her well.

I'm just really pleased to see Lilia get one! I hope she does well!

darrinbaker00
Mar 4th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Wow Crissy hasn't responded to anyone yet. We should have some virtual betting on how many posts he tries to put down:lol:
This is what he PM'd to me today:
I write challenging threads on purpose to attract idiots like you and have fun seeing them make a fool of themselves by the stupidities they write.
What do you want me to write ? "Martina,lets go! Rah Rah Rah!"?
Besides I do it to torment the inquisitor control freak morons who moderate this ruined forum full of mindless adolescents. The fact that a grown up like you likes to hang out with them indicates a severe retardation case of your personality. I only come here once in ablue moon when boredom dictates and, as I said, to kick ass with the fools who get attracted to these topics like insectys to flypaper.
You are one of those and clearly have the brain of an incsect/Look I don't know how to spell "insect". Take advantage ,make fun of it!!
For reasons known only to himself, he sent it to me four times.

Jakeev
Mar 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM

:lol: :lol: The fact he takes himself so seriously and that others take him equally serious is an absolute riot. The guy must be on some sort of medication......:lol: :lol:

WhatTheDeuce
Mar 4th, 2007, 05:33 AM

:spit: :Cris Senior:

bello
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Elena Bovina a wasted WC?? A top 20 player who is trying to come back from injury. She is actually a perfect candidate for a WC...Only an ignorant fan would think otherwise in my opinion.
Mirjana has had many chances yes, however she needs the WC as she has been through alot and not getting any younger, newer players have plenty of time.
Lilia Osterloh - a suprinsing choice and I don't persionally agree with that choice but OH WELL!!

kittyking
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I hope that Lucic proves you wrong, and given a reasonable draw she could

CooCooCachoo
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Let's just pray that our favs meet them :angel:

Nah, seriously, I wish for both to get their careers back on track.

CooCooCachoo
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Boo to the IW committee.

How is Lilia an unfair WC? :lol: :help:

HTE
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM
The guy must be on some sort of medication......:lol: :lol:

obviously not enough :)

markdelaney
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Mirjana Lucic has never received a WC into a grand slam and as early as 2000, had to qualify for the US Open - unlike certain other players who have benefitted from at least 3 grand slam WCs.

You don't win 2 titles and reach a grand slam semi without any ability , beating the likes of Wiesner, Tauziat, Zvereva, Van Roost and Seles on the way.

She got badly injured in 2000 and the personal problems are well documented.

Mirjana deserves a chance and often it takes a higher ranked opponent to get somebody back to their best.She's clearly worked very hard on her fitness and I wish her all the best.

ViennaCalling
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Go Mirjana and Lilia :bounce:

Melusine
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
It is, however, strange to see Lena B get a wildcard

First she entered, then withdrew, now she's getting WC (because she asked for it :confused: ) after all :confused:

Volcana
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:47 PM
About that 'wasted' WC ....

pierce0415
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Volcana you are right but if Mirjana had drawn somebody else besides Nelson, I am not sure if she woulda won ...

she is not exactly in her league in this Tier I event until she gets fitter ...

DomenicDemaria
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I can see why Lucic got a wildcard because she will sell more seats but Bovina really does not deserve one. She has got thrashed in all her previous tournaments and I believe that this tournament is a out of her league for the moment. She should play qualifying or play smaller events so she can get match practise. Playing tier 1s and 2s is foolish on her part.

Volcana
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Volcana you are right but if Mirjana had drawn somebody else besides Nelson, I am not sure if she woulda won ...

she is not exactly in her league in this Tier I event until she gets fitter ...You totally correct. But look at it from the TD's perspective. He's gotta be concerned with the 'long green'. With Lucic winning, he gets one more match with a player with some name recognition than if she'd lost. If it means a couple more tickets sold on an outer court, it's significant to the tournament bottom line.
I can see why Lucic got a wildcard because she will sell more seats but Bovina has really does not deserve one. She has got thrashed in all her previous tournaments and I believe that this tournament is a out of her league for the moment.Probably. But so what? The question is, who, among the available players, has the highest name recognition? Who are the fans going to have ANY memory of. Bovina played a great first set in the 2004 US Open vs Davenport, and is a former top twenty player. That's not much, but who's bringing more to the table? "Bovina' is a name some fans will recognize as having been an okay player. If they buy a ticket figuring that if they can't get into the match they want, there's still a player with some ability they maybe CAN get to see, they're likelier to buy a ticket.

This isn't about tennis. Kournikova or Seles or Graf could get a wildcard into any tournament they wanted, anytime they wanted. And the TD would put them on a show court and sell the place out.

Tenis Srbija
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Winning first round match against NO 700 in the world doesn't mean it's not wasted :rolleyes:

égalité
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Winning first round match against NO 700 in the world doesn't mean it's not wasted :rolleyes:

Nelson is clearly better than her ranking. She's been taking out much higher ranked opponents over the past year and in this tournament. :rolleyes:

She's a college player so of course her ranking is low.

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
:haha:

Volcana
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Winning first round match against NO 700 in the world doesn't mean it's not wasted :rolleyes:Winning AT ALL means it's not wasted. The point of wildcards is to give the tournament the ability to pull in some players who might sell a few extra tickets who would otherwise not make the tournament. You don't expect them to win, just sell a few extra tickets. If they do win, they play another match, and sell a few more extra tickets.

If you think wildcards have something to do with who's the best tennis player, giving wildcards to Lucic and Bovina doesn't make any sense. Once you realize that it's about money, those two are pretty obvious picks for wildcards.

zvonarevarulz
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:48 AM
don't see bovina in draw???